PDA

View Full Version : Parking outside MY house

Salu
30-08-2006, 12:06
How do you approach the subject of members of the public that aren't your guests parking outside your house, not blocking your drive on the road?

They are perfectly entitled to do this yet some people feel quite territorial about this.

Where do you fit in? Are you a defender of your realm or have an easygoing approach?

There will be those who rarely have this problem and those who live near train stations etc who get it everyday. Does that change your approach?

If you don't have a driveway then maybe you feel more indignant that you can't park outside your home yourself?

:)

Halcyon
30-08-2006, 12:19
I live on a road with grass verges and I can't stand one of the neighbours who even though has a big drive way, parks his vehicles on the grass. It has totally messed up the grass and it is now just a pile of mud.

You would think people would want to respect the area they live in and keep it a nice place but some people just don't care.

We've even had people park on the grass and then as they drive off there is a huge hole in the grass and mud tracks everywhere.

I feel like going and telling them to move but havent done so as they will just blab about it being public right of way, etc.

I also have a friend who lives near a school. He often can't get out his drive as it's blocked by Mum's in their huge range rovers that have parked to pick up their children.

Paul K
30-08-2006, 12:21
No choice where we live :( Too many cars for the street to sustain, very few houses with off road parking and a lot of people with multiple cars or works vehicles. Some days we are lucky to park in the street at all.
During school time it's worse in the morning and afternoon due to the fact we have a school at one end of the road and the other end of the road is good for parking for the local station. The local borough council is putting a parking permit system in for residents soon, already tried once but the people with multiple cars and works vehicles refused to clear the road so that the parking bays could be re-marked. W*nkers that they are :(

Stuart
30-08-2006, 12:22
I can't drive, so am not really too bothered (although it is nice for friends and family to be able to park outside the house).

However, one thing that does p me off is that two of my neighbours appear to have adopted the space as theirs. I wouldn't mind too much, but they both have garages (I don't). They can't use them for storing cars as they have all sorts of other cr*p in them. It's not as if they are small garages either. One has a garage so large that the neighbour who had it built had enough room for an estate car AND a fairly well-stocked workshop.

gazzae
30-08-2006, 12:28
A guy near us sometimes parks his lorry outside out house which ****es the missus off no end. It spoils the view she says. The view being the gable wall of the house opposite.

MikeyB
30-08-2006, 12:32
How do you approach the subject of members of the public that aren't your guests parking outside your house, not blocking your drive on the road?

Don't personally mind, it's not my road, so they can park there... unless...

I have had someone block me out of my own driveway, they had parked right across it.
What do some people think when they park (oh, they don't think!!!) As I live at the end of the street I managed park my car so they couldn't get out themselves, and of course, who do you think complained the most.... And no apology for blocking my driveway.

And on another occasion my Dad was round and parked his car in the small 2 space parking area at the end of the road, and someone else parked behind him in a big 4x4 blocking him in, crazy!!!! Of course they just moaned when we asked him to move it, like it was causing him lots of trouble.

But every house in the street has a driveway for at least one car, some have a long enough drive (like mine) for two cars, and yet some people never use them, including my next door neighbour.

Jason1
30-08-2006, 12:32
It drives me bloody bonkers I live just off a main road with a row of shops. All the tight fisted people out there park in our car park, instead of paying at the meters.

Most would park within 1 meter of my front door. I Got so peeded of I used to knock off there rear view mirrors. Didnt work though still had of freeloaders parking there. In the end I got onto the council and got them to put some nice big black bollards which sorted it.

TheNorm
30-08-2006, 12:41
In our previous house the whole road was on-street parking, which could make it difficult to find a space near your house. Not fun when you have two pre-schoolers and a load of shopping to deal with. The parking was made even worse by one "unemployed" neighbour who seemed to run a used-car business from home. I remember he was visited by the local constabulary one evening - the next morning, there were plenty of parking spaces! This only lasted for about a week, though.

We then moved to a house with a double garage - excellent! However, over the years I've noticed an increase in the number of cars parked on the street. Our neighbour gets irritated by a guy who parks his van next to his house, blocking much of the light. Sometimes he puts his own car there (and leaves his driveway empty) just to stop this.

I understand how annoying it is to have people park outside your house, but sometimes people have little option. A side-effect of the mismatch between towns built during the era of the horse-drawn carriage, and people's "need" for two (or more) cars.

Maggy
30-08-2006, 12:41
I don't mind.That is I don't mind until I've a car full of weekly shopping and I cannot park outside or even near to my front door to unload it.I'm then left humping bags up the road from my car parked at the end of the road or worse round the corner.

Wouldn't have even been so bad if the council hadn't put down double yellow lines on the opposite side of the street because then I could have parked across from my house and then moved the car somewhere sensible afterwards.Now if I want to do that I have to keep a weather eye out for the local traffic warden who is a fiend.

Nugget
30-08-2006, 12:53
It drives me absolutely up the wall if people park outside my house :mad:

We have to buy a permit to park on our street (it's only 15 quid a year, but it's enough), but the amount of times I get home in the evening and can't park anywhere, let alone further up the street because it's full of cars without permits :fit:

Christmas is the worse, because we only live about 200 yards from the centre of town, so the cars can be 3 deep by the time I get home because of Christmas shoppers. Having said that, I just block people in now :shrug:

Gareth
30-08-2006, 12:59
I don't mind it.... prolly cause I'd be a hypocrite if I did, as I tend to be guilty of doing it myself.

Where I work, the council won't allow us to increase our car park. There is already more cars for the number of spaces, and even introducing a "car sharers only" car park (which is itself impractical for people like me who can do different shifts) isn't helping... plus we're recruiting yet more people!

Needless to say, there's a large amount of parking on the roads near our office. I do it myself if there's no spaces left. It annoys the residents, who moan at my company, but there are no double yellow lines, and I pay my road tax, so I continue to do it.

basa
30-08-2006, 13:33
So it looks like population control is working then !!! :erm:

Too many people, too many people with too many cars !! :rolleyes:

Jules
30-08-2006, 14:04
I live opposite a school and it is a nightmare in the morning and afternoons when the "school run" is happening, they either block you in or nick your space before you are out of it!

Flobajob
30-08-2006, 14:09

They are perfectly entitled to do this yet some people feel quite territorial about this.

Where do you fit in? Are you a defender of your realm or have an easygoing approach?

There will be those who rarely have this problem and those who live near train stations etc who get it everyday. Does that change your approach?

If you don't have a driveway then maybe you feel more indignant that you can't park outside your home yourself?

We have our own driveway so people can park where they like outside the house so long as they're not obscuring it, which would be a mistake on their part as a good friend of ours owns a tow truck and breakers yard just down the road. I can see people losing their rag if they don't have their own driveway and people are parked outside their house but short of finding out who owns the car and asking them politely to move it there's very little the can do.

ZrByte
30-08-2006, 14:12
For me it depends who is parked there. If its someone going to one of the two shops at the top of the road I dont really mind as there is no parking there. If it is someone from the next road or visiting one of our neighbours I dont really mind as long as they are considderate. Some of these park thier cars strategicly so as to take up at least two spaces or even four if they have two cars. Wich is obvioulsy really annoying if we cant get either of our cars outside the house just because one car is parked there.
Another annoying habbit of our neighbours is to invite friends/relatives down for several weeks at a time who only use thier cars to get to the house in the first place, so instead of getting them to park outside thier own houses and displacing thier own cars for a couple of weeks they just let them park outside of ours. People from the next road also have a habbit of parking either thier own cars wich they only use for work or works vehicles outside of our house on a friday after they finish and leaving them there until either the Monday or Tuesday when they finally go back to work. I dont mind this when they have no space outside thier own houses but they dont even move them once the space outside thier houses become available.
Another one that really is really annoying is the residents on the main road that our road branches off will often park thier cars in our road when thier road tax expires and put a SORN into the post office, they dont seem to understand the concept that our road is not 'off road' The longest one of these cars has been left in our road was 2 months and even then was only moved in the end as the council had it towed away.
And finally all the above has been made much worse by a taxi driver who has moved into the road opposite us, he has this strange territorial thing that nobody can park outside of his house even though he parks on his driveway and the driveway is rareley if ever blocked by inconsidderate drivers (He only has one car and you can fit two onto the driveway easily).

So basicly I dont mind people parking outside for short stays as long as they are considerate and it is unavoidable.

Nugget
30-08-2006, 14:13
I live opposite a school and it is a nightmare in the morning and afternoons when the "school run" is happening, they either block you in or nick your space before you are out of it!

That's the other problem we have - there's a school at the end of the street (about 3 houses down), and all of the parents assume that they have the automatic right to just dump their cars wherever they feel like it :fit:

Halcyon
30-08-2006, 14:13
The parking was made even worse by one "unemployed" neighbour who seemed to run a used-car business from home. I remember he was visited by the local constabulary one evening - the next morning, there were plenty of parking spaces! This only lasted for about a week, though.

I know the type of person....We have one at the top of our street and he blocks the junction so it is really hard to see round the corner. It is even against the law to park so close to a junction and I often see him working from home on his vehicles in the street which I am sure is illegal too.
The police will come round but a week later it's back to the usual. :mad:

AndrewJ
30-08-2006, 14:15
My parents have a problem with Sundays since they live right behind a church in a narrow single lane walkthrough, officially it is not even a road.

Yet every goddam Sunday because the Church Carpark is so small you can gurantee someone will plonk their cars at the top and bottom, meaning their is no way to drive in or out of the way.

ZrByte
30-08-2006, 14:15
That's the other problem we have - there's a school at the end of the street (about 3 houses down), and all of the parents assume that they have the automatic right to just dump their cars wherever they feel like it :fit:

We have that too, aswel as a Vauxhall dealership with no onsite parking, some shops and a church. Ironicly even though they cause the minimum amount of disruption timewise the Church goers are far more disruptive and annoying as they are far more inconsidderate (Blocking driveways, boxing in other drivers etc).

Nidge
30-08-2006, 14:52

I'm affraid to say as long as the car is taxed and not blocking your menas of access there is nothing you can do about it, it's the queens highway and we pay to use the highway.

Salu
30-08-2006, 14:55
I'm affraid to say as long as the car is taxed and not blocking your menas of access there is nothing you can do about it, it's the queens highway and we pay to use the highway.

That's true but I was more interested in how you felt about this rather than the legalities....

monkey2468
30-08-2006, 15:09
I have double yellow lines outside my house. People still park outside my house, and the traffic wardens love it! :)

Salu
30-08-2006, 15:16
That makes me wonder if there are any traffic wardens here who have double yellow lines outside their house...... :)

idi banashapan
30-08-2006, 15:22
we have some bloke round where we live. he has 4 cars and 2 garages (single), meaning he has to park 2 cars in the car park everone uses. unfortunately, the carpark does not have marked out spaces and this bloke thinks he owns the bit of carpark by his house and insists on parking parallel to the kerb, meaning his 2 cars take up 4 to 5 spaces. I've asked him to park properly, as there is not enough room for all the cars here as it is. His defence is that he has lived in his house for 27 years.... SO WHAT? The guy is a class 1 idiot in my opinion. I'm currently seeking help from the council and highways agency on this one.

He actually has one of his garages buint in his back garden, with access to it from the residential carpark I speak of. One night i finished me late shift (home at about 12:20) and knew that the missus was going to the Gym at about 7 to 7:30 the next morning (well before he leaves - not that his car was in his garage anyway - another annoyance!), and because of his total inconsideration (and the fact he's "lived there for 27 years"!), the only place to park was infront of his garage. I told the missus to take my carin the morning so it would be moved first thing, plus the fact when the council recently painted hatchings in the carpark for areas you cannot use, they did not paint any infront of the garage he built, thus it is only common courtesy NOT to park there.

Next time I see him, he starts threatening me, telling me the next time I park down that bit of the car park, it will be the "last thing you do", to use his exact words. I asked his to his face if he was threatening me, he kicked off all this rubbish about how long he'd lived there (as always). I told him I didn't care, he didn't own the carpark and give him back as much talk he gave me (without being threatening or threating - that's just sad - it's only a parking space!!!!)

Some people are soooooo an*l about it, but worse still, they tend to be the most inconsiderate people there!!! unbelievable!

zovat
30-08-2006, 15:37
We have limited parking outside our houses, and it is not allocated.
most of the time, we can park outside of our house, as most of the residents know each other and try to use the same spaces whenever possible.
I have only been blocked in once, and that was by the one "bottom hole" in the street, who was less than pleased when I asked him to move at 07:00 so I could get out, however he was (begrudgingly) polite about it.

It does annoy me when people park in such a way as to block in others, or so badly they take up multiple spaces in a limited parking area, but I cannot be bothered to get angry about it, it just gives me less guilt about watching the council putting notices on cars who have no tax and are parked outside the houses on "a public highway" as the inconsiderate parkers always comment when they park outside the old couple's house a few doors down.

TheNorm
30-08-2006, 15:42
...every goddam Sunday ...

What an interesting oxymoron!

Nugget
30-08-2006, 15:44
What an interesting oxymoron!

I dunno - he's not that interesting ;)

TheNorm
30-08-2006, 15:46
I dunno - he's not that interesting ;)

No, I didn't mean... oh, never mind...

gazzae
30-08-2006, 15:49
we have some bloke round where we live. he has 4 cars and 2 garages (single), meaning he has to park 2 cars in the car park everone uses. unfortunately, the carpark does not have marked out spaces and this bloke thinks he owns the bit of carpark by his house and insists on parking parallel to the kerb, meaning his 2 cars take up 4 to 5 spaces. I've asked him to park properly, as there is not enough room for all the cars here as it is. His defence is that he has lived in his house for 27 years.... SO WHAT? The guy is a class 1 idiot in my opinion. I'm currently seeking help from the council and highways agency on this one.

Why not just park beside his cars and block him in.

idi banashapan
30-08-2006, 15:59
Why not just park beside his cars and block him in.

The only other time I parked down on 'His Turf', he moved one of his cars and parked it - and this is NO exaggeration at all - no more than about 6 inches from the drivers side of my car. I couldn't even open the drivers door enough to fit a finger inside!. I knocked on his door to get him to move it but no one answered the door (obviously in, especially as the livingroom curtains twitched to see who was knocking!). Ended up climbing over from the passenger side. On my return, he had got ALL his cars out and parked them all along that edge of the carpark leaving NO spaces at all (all parked at stupid angles to ensure ALL room was spoken for). I knocked again, this time he was man enough to answer the door. I said that I thought that was very immature, parking so close to prove non-point. He says "oh, is it still there?" knowing full well it isn't, because he'd piled up his cars where mine was. I said no, but next time I he could at least be big enough to answer the door, or if push came to shove and he couldn't handle facing me, then to leave me a can opener, so I could climb in through the roof.

Twoccer!!! GAH!! He winds me up so much! Still, I suppose being that simple and idiotic, every day of life must be like an exciting adventure!

TheDaddy
30-08-2006, 16:08
Have any of you spoken to your local councils about resident only parking schemes, my aunt did as her road is a nightmare due to commuters, unfortunatly they said they could not help as it would mean they just moved the problem to another area, she did point out that the problem had been moved on to her and the other residents since the made the town pedestrian only, obviously her plea's fell on deaf ears but your cases may get better results, you can only ask after all ;)

fireman328
30-08-2006, 16:09
I live on a road with grass verges and I can't stand one of the neighbours who even though has a big drive way, parks his vehicles on the grass. It has totally messed up the grass and it is now just a pile of mud.

You would think people would want to respect the area they live in and keep it a nice place but some people just don't care.

We've even had people park on the grass and then as they drive off there is a huge hole in the grass and mud tracks everywhere.

I feel like going and telling them to move but havent done so as they will just blab about it being public right of way, etc.

I also have a friend who lives near a school. He often can't get out his drive as it's blocked by Mum's in their huge range rovers that have parked to pick up their children.

I have a driveway and garage that was built in 1953, consequently the exit, over a properly constructed drop kerb, is quite narrow and crosses the grass verge again at a drop kerb. I have no turning place until I have crossed the grass verge. The next door numpties have started parking on the grass verge either side of my drive making it impossible to see traffic on the road as I have to reverse off. I contacted the highways authority, Surrey County Council, and advsied me that they would take action against any parking on the grass verge as that was council property. I have yet to see any action. I will give them 14 days and if things have not improved I will contact my county councilor.

zovat
30-08-2006, 16:46
It may be worth contacting your council - we had similar issues at one point (the people have since either moved, or in a couple of cases grown up) and they painted lines on the car park to show the "bays" - had far less hassle after that (and even less once the main pillock left home....)

Tightscot
30-08-2006, 17:36
parking in my road is a nightmare, although i have recently 'landscaped' my front garden and now have a driveway big enough for 4 cars!

Parking is only a problem when people park OVER MY DRIVE!!! this is so inconsiderate and usually i go straight out, get in the car and simply hold my hand on the horn until whoever left it there moves it.

There usual response is "oh i was only going to be 5 minutes" - well sorry but that's no good to me if i need to leave in a hurry... not that i ever have needed to do this but they don't know that...

Also my new neighbours (rented **** house in an otherwise nice area) have a total of six, yes SIX, cars and a boat. Only one of their cars - all of which are piles of rust - is parked on their drive, meaning that they take up six 'on road' spaces. All the other residents are peed off with it but as the cars are all taxed what can anyone do about it? Although i was wondering if you can park a boat & trailer on the public road with no lights/reflectors on it...

He regularly shifts his 'fleet' of cars around, running from one to the other to make sure he doesn't lose his space... and he looks like a little weasel too...

and relax.... i feel better now.:)

Escapee
30-08-2006, 18:27
I dont have the problem these days, I used to have the problem when there were double yellow lines both sides of the road. The favourite trick was people parking in my drive in those days, I cured it by smashing the window of a car after it had been blocking me in for two hours and using a scrap car to push it into the road so I could get out.

I got fined for criminal damage, and the only reason that happened was due to the fact that it was the duty solicitors wifes car. I didn't mind the fine and criminal damage record because standing up in court telling them the next person to park there would get the same, cured the problem over night.
We even used to have stolen cars left in our driveway on regular occassions, stolen over in Bristol (usually a Friday) and dumped here in Wales.

The biggest problem now in the street is down to the council removing the double yellow lines from both sides of the road, since it has become a road with one end blocked. If the council had the sense to leave double yellows one side we wouldn't have so much trouble. Last week the bins didn't get emptied because they couldn't get up the street, they were supposed to be emptied Tuesday and the bin men turned up on Friday and man handled the bins down the end of the street and left them there. The building next door but one to me was on fire and the fire engine couldn't get through, and earlier this year I failed to get a skip delivered after 3 attempts, I ended up getting the gypsies in for half the cost, they helped fill two loads of their transit tipper and no doubt dumped it in the nearest quiet beauty spot. Should I be worried though!

My GF also has problems with the residents permit scheme, its a waste of money because there is still no where to park. My parents have had problems with people blocking their garage, and their elderly neighbours couldn't use their car for over 2 weeks, as someone parked their car there and went on two weeks holiday with their friends who live opposite.

The main problem seems to be inconsiderate people, I am very careful where I park because of all the problems experienced in the past. If I left my car across someones driveway or garage, I would expect it to be vandalised when I return.

idi banashapan
30-08-2006, 19:07
The main problem seems to be inconsiderate people, I am very careful where I park because of all the problems experienced in the past. If I left my car across someones driveway or garage, I would expect it to be vandalised when I return.

I know EXACTLY how you feel. To be honest, even parking it legit, I'm still likely to come back to another scratch or door-opening dent in the side of my car due to the number of simpletons who live around me. Perhaps I should stop caring and give as good as I get, but I just feel guilty about carelessly damaging someone elses property... Maybe that's just me though, eh?

Our back gate opens into the carpark, so it's nice when we occasionally get to park outside our house. On the flipside, it is not an allocated space, so other people can park there. On a number of occasions, we have had people park so close to our gate, we cannot physically get into our own garden. 4 years ago, this was a major hassle, being we had a young daughter who still used a pushchair.

I wish I could not feel guilt sometimes!! I could do some real damage, but I'm just not that type. I've only ever seen cars destroyed by C4 in BF2 - I wonder how accurate its portrayal is?

Dan_Sette
30-08-2006, 19:15
My parents have had problems with people blocking their garage, and their elderly neighbours couldn't use their car for over 2 weeks, as someone parked their car there and went on two weeks holiday with their friends who live opposite.

I can't condone vandalism, though can understand it. Our next door neighbours (a lovely couple) have a drop kerb opening onto a double drive for boh their cars. There is a six foot long grass verge then the start of my drop kerb. People visiting them are very studious about not blocking their drive, which invariably means mine get blocked. Very annoying.

Although the police must be very good in the West Midlands. I had a car parked directly across my drive one morning and couldn't get my car off the drive, which I needed to do for work. I reported it to the police and four hours later out came the tow truck, lifted the offending car onto a lat bed and took it away.

D

Escapee
30-08-2006, 19:29
I can't condone vandalism, though can understand it. Our next door neighbours (a lovely couple) have a drop kerb opening onto a double drive for boh their cars. There is a six foot long grass verge then the start of my drop kerb. People visiting them are very studious about not blocking their drive, which invariably means mine get blocked. Very annoying.

Although the police must be very good in the West Midlands. I had a car parked directly across my drive one morning and couldn't get my car off the drive, which I needed to do for work. I reported it to the police and four hours later out came the tow truck, lifted the offending car onto a lat bed and took it away.

D

The problem with my parents elderly neighbours, was they didn't want to cause trouble. They suffered their car being blocked in for over 2 weeks because they were in effect scared of the outcome if they got it moved.

I posted a while ago about a situation involving my father, my parents have two cars. They have a garage and a hard standing by the side of it. They live in a nice area with large houses, unfortunately a couple have been converted into flats with some undesirable characters. My parents next door neighbours the other side are afraid of these undesirables, there have been a few drugs raids and one of the residents deals in one of the pubs not far away.

My father has CCTV, and after finding damage on his car that was parked outside his own property in front of his own drive he decided to check the tape. The tape showed the next door neighbour coming home and not having anywhere to park, he drove down the street presumably to find a space. When he came back, instead of damaging the drug dealers car that was parked across his driveway he walked a bit further and scratched my fathers car. As I said my fathers car was in front of his own property blocking his own garage.

The result was whilst waiting for the police to arrive, my father commented that he had him on tape. The neighbour being about 15 years younger than my father, about 4 stone heavier, a few inches taller and a Black belt in karate, decided to grab hold of my father. The neighbour ended up flat on the floor, and even had the cheek to claim that my father had started it. Of course this was also captured on cctv and kept as evidence along with the damage.

The end result as usual with our local police force was a farce, the neighbour keot denying he did the damage even though there was cctv evidence. Eventually the neighbour (through his solicitor) claimed he had "accidently" damaged the car. The police accepted this and decided the matter should be a civil one, and that is one of the many reasons why I think our local police force are useless at dealing with anything other than simple easy motoring offences.

timewarrior2001
30-08-2006, 20:23
my new next door neighbour is parking slightly across the front of my house, not leaving enough room for my car to fit across the end of my drive. The drive way is taken up with the Mrs's car.

Her excuse?

My car keeps getting scratched.

I explained that so does mine, and the wheels were stolen one night etc, thats why i have a camera up you ****ing stupid bint.

I told her to park on her drive, oh no I dont want to do that she says. So its now got to the point that we compete for the little bit of space there is.

I usually win this contest because she i constantly backwards and forwards so when she movews so do i.

Its really annoying me, because I cant just park a little further back as I would then be illegally blocking next doors drive.

I just make sarcastic comments now when I see her, saying its such a shame for a good drive to go to waste.

In the past I have cut handbrake cables and pushed cars out of the way, I'vve also kicked body panels in, smashed windscreens and slashed tyres, all for people blocking me in. Fortunately for me I got away with it, soon people stopped blocking me in, perhaps they realise their cars worth more than a parking space.

Gareth
30-08-2006, 21:36
that is one of the many reasons why I think our local police force are useless at dealing with anything other than simple easy motoring offences.You don't live in Newport, by any chance, do you, Escapee?

Millay
30-08-2006, 22:16
I live down a road with a railway station and a pub/b&b at the end its all on street parking and its a bloonmin nightmare.

The council look set to bring a permit in that will allow only residents, the only problem i can see with this is its only during the day.. If i leave the house after 7pm i cannot get a parking space again till 1am.

But they are within there rights so i hold them no grudge..

ZrByte
31-08-2006, 00:24
I have a driveway and garage that was built in 1953, consequently the exit, over a properly constructed drop kerb, is quite narrow and crosses the grass verge again at a drop kerb. I have no turning place until I have crossed the grass verge. The next door numpties have started parking on the grass verge either side of my drive making it impossible to see traffic on the road as I have to reverse off. I contacted the highways authority, Surrey County Council, and advsied me that they would take action against any parking on the grass verge as that was council property. I have yet to see any action. I will give them 14 days and if things have not improved I will contact my county councilor.

Couldnt you solve this pretty easily by reversing onto your driveway instead of reversing off it?

scrotnig
31-08-2006, 02:48
I'm in a terraced street but generally there isn't a problem. Most people stick to their 'own' spaces, sometimes I might get home and a neighbour might have a visitor who is using the space outside my house, so I just park across the road or up the street.

If the space becomes empty later I might move my car into it but usually I can't be bothered and just leave it where it is.

Most people here are pretty easy going as long nobody takes the mickey, which in two years here hasn't happened to my knowledge.

I've had people apologising for taking 'my' space, I always thank them but explain that I'm really not at all bothered. There is always space within a couple of hundred yards so I don't care.

Escapee
31-08-2006, 10:23
You don't live in Newport, by any chance, do you, Escapee?

Pontypool, so its the same mob I think.

Easyjet
31-08-2006, 10:34
It's an un spoken rule not to park outside your neighbours house where I live. All the neighbours have two cars min. You can park two cars if parked correctly outside the front of your house. Everyone is considerate to each other with the exemption of two different neighbours who live next door to each other. They are old people who are disabled!! (they can do a full day of hard labour on their gardens) they must have their car spaces. Not just car spaces their frontage (public highway) must not be touched. The result, they take up room for four cars with just their two. It makes them so happy to have so much room. I don't think they have noticed they don't get invited to any other neighbours parties, bbq etc;