PDA

View Full Version : interactive

richmond
13-12-2003, 10:15
Hi all im new on here.I was just wondering if ntl are ever going to do player cam and the like on football ........SORRY IF THIS HAS BEEN ASKED B4.... :shrug:

th'engineer
13-12-2003, 10:53
It wil come soon with CR4 but when CR4 arrives is anybodies guess.

bigitup_j
13-12-2003, 11:07
cr4?
i think you mean cr3 - new software for digital tv to enable such services- it is expected to be launched early 2004 (well for langley/ orig-ntl areas, bromley areas already have cr3-but still no e-tv)!

magpie
13-12-2003, 15:47
Hi all im new on here.I was just wondering if ntl are ever going to do player cam and the like on football ........SORRY IF THIS HAS BEEN ASKED B4.... :shrug:
It isn't ntl who have to do the player cam and the like - it's Sky Sports. As I'm sure you're aware, they already do this, and supply it to Sky Sports subscribers who use Sky Digital (satellite).

Sky Digital Set-Top-Boxes (STBs) run software called OpenTV. Therefore, the interactive elements of Sky Sports you talk of are written to be OpenTV compliant.

ntl digital STBs run software called Liberate. As you live in Stockport, your STB will be running Liberate v1.2, which is perfectly capable of doing the interactive sports features you talk about (watch a match on the BBC for proof). However, as Sky Sports interactive (and, in fact, Sky Active as a whole) uses only OpenTV, a Liberate STB cannot understand it, and so it is not currently available.

To end with some good news though - ntl and Sky seem to be getting along quite well at the moment, and there has been talk of Sky porting Sky Active to Liberate. Provided ntl don't impose bandwidth restrictions (and they'd be stupid to that), that would bring features like Player cam to Sky Sports on ntl.

Digital Spy discussion on Sky Active and ntl: http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=81953&highlight=active

Hope that helps!

th'engineer
13-12-2003, 16:22
cr4?
i think you mean cr3 - new software for digital tv to enable such services- it is expected to be launched early 2004 (well for langley/ orig-ntl areas, bromley areas already have cr3-but still no e-tv)!
No CR4 CR3 does not give even bromley areas interactive player cam so will be a new version

bigitup_j
13-12-2003, 21:31
an update will fix that. like mr1. bbc multiscreening would not work without mr1...so mr2 would be needed (another 10 years then!!)

trentsteel
13-12-2003, 21:32
No CR4 CR3 does not give even bromley areas interactive player cam so will be a new version

I think it can do, just no channel provider has done yet, ie the bbc, as they are the only ones bothering with ntl

Shaun
13-12-2003, 23:10
I'd suggest going out and buy a Freeview box ;)

Paul
13-12-2003, 23:56
I'd suggest going out and buy a Freeview box ;)
Is Sky Sports on Freeview ?

Shaun
14-12-2003, 00:03
Is Sky Sports on Freeview ?

My thinking was that if you so wanted Sky sports then you would already have Sky! If you can't have / don't want Sky then I guessed that you would want the best from the alternatives!

Or am I being totally Illogical?

Frank
14-12-2003, 00:25
It isn't ntl who have to do the player cam and the like - it's Sky Sports. As I'm sure you're aware, they already do this, and supply it to Sky Sports subscribers who use Sky Digital (satellite).

Sky Digital Set-Top-Boxes (STBs) run software called OpenTV. Therefore, the interactive elements of Sky Sports you talk of are written to be OpenTV compliant.

ntl digital STBs run software called Liberate. As you live in Stockport, your STB will be running Liberate v1.2, which is perfectly capable of doing the interactive sports features you talk about (watch a match on the BBC for proof). However, as Sky Sports interactive (and, in fact, Sky Active as a whole) uses only OpenTV, a Liberate STB cannot understand it, and so it is not currently available.Well that's all very well in theory, but I would beg to differ on the point about Liberate 1.2 being "perfectly capable of doing interactive sports features", and I'm sure that ntl's technical TV dev team would secretly agree with me. They are burdened with the bad choices of a few ignorant people (yes P.E that's you), although that is generally how it works.

I think ntl should fix their current interactive and red button problems before tacking features such as this. Rather than the box crashing or taking AGES (compared to Sky Digital) to lead the interactive content, it should be quick, there should be more interactive content (the number of "There is no interactive content for this channel" is quite frankly a joke), and the box should NOT crash like it does. My Sky box has crashed ONCE in 15 months, and I swear that on my mothers life. I have lost count of how many times my ntl box has crashed.

magpie
14-12-2003, 08:51
Well that's all very well in theory, but I would beg to differ on the point about Liberate 1.2 being "perfectly capable of doing interactive sports features", and I'm sure that ntl's technical TV dev team would secretly agree with me. They are burdened with the bad choices of a few ignorant people (yes P.E that's you), although that is generally how it works.

I think ntl should fix their current interactive and red button problems before tacking features such as this. Rather than the box crashing or taking AGES (compared to Sky Digital) to lead the interactive content, it should be quick, there should be more interactive content (the number of "There is no interactive content for this channel" is quite frankly a joke), and the box should NOT crash like it does. My Sky box has crashed ONCE in 15 months, and I swear that on my mothers life. I have lost count of how many times my ntl box has crashed.
I agree with most of what Keyser is saying here... Interactive content is FAR too slow, and crashes far too often. But on the point of it being unable to do something like a player cam (as th'engineer says) - I can't see why this would be true. All player cam is is another feed provided by Sky Sports that focuses on a particular player. As far as the STB is concerned, switching to this should be no more difficult than switching to the highlights screen during a match on the BBC.

Frank
14-12-2003, 19:27
Quite agree magpie, it shouldn't be that difficult :)

My point was simply that ntl should direct their resources elsewhere until they have a platform that is at least as good as Sky's. And at the moment it simply isn't.

richmond
14-12-2003, 19:30
thanks for your response every1 :wavey:

Skyornot
01-07-2007, 13:56

Over 3 and a half years later............... :erm: