PDA

View Full Version : Sunday in the garden => damaged NTL cable

MaccLad
13-08-2006, 22:42
In an uncharacteristic burst of enthusiasm, I set about digging the front garden today - removing the old turf (or rather moss) to relay it.
I knew the NTL cable was down there somewhere, but thought that:
a) it would be more than 2 inches down, and
b) it would be in a conduit of some sort.
Should have known better! :dunce: I hit the cable a good heavy whack with virtually the first spade stroke. Cut through the insulation in both the phone, and the TV sections, and exposed a fair bit of the cable. Amazingly, it all still seems to be working, though I don't know if that will continue when the rain gets in there.

I suppose I'll need to report this to faults ?? Not sure if it can be repaired, or whether it all needs to be relayed. If it needs relaying, probably better when I've got all the old turf off - and before I relay it.
Will I get charged for sorting this out do you think? If it had been installed properly in the first place, this wouldn't have been an issue.

MovedGoalPosts
13-08-2006, 22:47
You could temporarily wrap the cable with insulation tape.

But yep call ntl and complain that the cable is laid so shallow and that you've damaged it. Insist that the should sort it themselves as it's their error.

Nedkelly
13-08-2006, 23:35
:) Ntl can not charge you for this as it was not down deep enough see this all the time:)

Bill C
14-08-2006, 07:05
In an uncharacteristic burst of enthusiasm, I set about digging the front garden today - removing the old turf (or rather moss) to relay it.
I knew the NTL cable was down there somewhere, but thought that:
a) it would be more than 2 inches down, and
b) it would be in a conduit of some sort.
Should have known better! :dunce: I hit the cable a good heavy whack with virtually the first spade stroke. Cut through the insulation in both the phone, and the TV sections, and exposed a fair bit of the cable. Amazingly, it all still seems to be working, though I don't know if that will continue when the rain gets in there.

I suppose I'll need to report this to faults ?? Not sure if it can be repaired, or whether it all needs to be relayed. If it needs relaying, probably better when I've got all the old turf off - and before I relay it.
Will I get charged for sorting this out do you think? If it had been installed properly in the first place, this wouldn't have been an issue.
If i remember correctly it should be 10 inches down and in 1 inch green flexible ducting.

Paul K
14-08-2006, 07:10
Make sure you take a photo of it exposed so that the depth is clearly shown, that way NTL can't argue the facts with you.

Red Robin
14-08-2006, 11:56
Hiya

If you want to call Damages, they'll get someone to come and look/sort it. Be sure to mention that it is "a drop cable, in a garden, not on public highway" so they don't think you're a builder with a big JCB who has dug the main network up. Not sure if they charge you for this or not.... I suppose you could ask this when you call?

You can get to Damages on 08700 133630 then press 1 to get you through to ntl damages, or 2 for telewest damages. They are part of our new "National Centres of Excellence" departments (no jokes, please, heard them all!)

HTH

Red Robin

MovedGoalPosts
14-08-2006, 12:31
They are part of our new "National Centres of Excellence" departments

:Yikes: :eeek: :disturbd:

(no jokes, please, heard them all!)

Sorry, couldn't resist :angel:

Chris
14-08-2006, 13:25
They are part of our new "National Centres of Excellence" departments (no jokes, please, heard them all!)

What, even the one where people call them 'National Centres of Excrement' as a kind of jolly play on words? :p:

Ah, there's my coat ...

AndrewJ
14-08-2006, 14:32
Admin edit (Chris T): I appreciate you were making a joke, but please don't misquote other members like that, it causes confusion and arguments.

Red Robin
15-08-2006, 08:23
Morning
I'm hoping Macclad will let us know if he's had resolution on this one?

Chris; yeah, that joke is ancient now, superseeded by others far more creative. Very sad, seeing as I am sat with 2 great (long serving/suffering!) members of staff who have been made redundant as thier jobs have been relocated to Edinburgh. Not good!

lostandconfused
15-08-2006, 22:17
not sure on the ducting bit but i do know the cable should be buried a minimum of 6 inches, normally 10 though. give faults a call and they'l get it repulled FOC

Stonker
15-08-2006, 22:33
If i remember correctly it should be 10 inches down and in 1 inch green flexible ducting.

Pah... before I laid my wood chips on hthe front garden, I had a lovely green tube border. Yes that's right, it was not covered at all !!
There is even cable and a junction point showing in the tarmac outside my house !

lostandconfused
15-08-2006, 22:42
call in and get it sorted, as most installs are contracted out ntl probably dont know about it.

use the free number listed on here somewhere. id sugest calling in around 5 ish should get straight through then without waiting in a queue