PDA

View Full Version : How long does it take to deliver

mckechan
12-08-2006, 11:29
Hi,

I am movin in to a flat on the 31st August where ntl is the only provider. I want to set up internet etc asap but I can't find out how long it takes to be installed after ordering.

I tried to phone the helpline but because my current address is outside theire cable network they wont even talk to me! How stupid is that!?

Anyone know when I should order so it's available soon after I move in?

Thanks,

David McKechan

Paul K
12-08-2006, 14:11
As soon as you move in or take tenancy, until then NTL cannot access the address or take an order against it as far as I know. Have you checked the online postcode checker to make sure you can get NTL coverage at the address?

Nedkelly
12-08-2006, 14:42
I know in some aeras installs are not busy .

kitster
12-08-2006, 14:57
I'd ring them before you move in to get a date thats what i did,as above post says all depends on how busy they are.

mckechan
14-08-2006, 11:45
Yes but I can't phone them before I move in because I currently live outside their service area they wont even speak to me. I automatically get told to F OFF by a computer!!!

Stupid or what? :)

Red Robin
14-08-2006, 11:46
Hi
Firstly, you need to get your add. added to our databases so at least when you call, we know you can be served and you get to speak to a human. You can do this one of two ways..... is your flat new? If it is, and as you say Ntl have exclusivity, the developer/builder of the flats needs to get in touch with his ntl contact and get the addresses (all of them) added to our systems. Alternatively, you can ring customer services yourself (someone else on here can probably provide a number which will get you through to a person, hopefully) and ask them to add your address. If you want to really fox them, when they point out your address is on, let them know that you have ntl on your development, and suggest that they complete a "Data Amendment or DAF form". Thats internal speak for a form which gets an address added to the system.

Once you're on our database as serviceable, you shouldn't then have ANY problems speaking to someone who can advise further about install times and lead ins.

HTH

Red Robin

mckechan
14-08-2006, 12:08
Yes, but I would like the service installed on day 1 of my 12 month tenancy. This would mean ordering it from where I live now. I just want to be able to make an order and specify the installation date.

Slyder
14-08-2006, 17:28
Yes, but I would like the service installed on day 1 of my 12 month tenancy. This would mean ordering it from where I live now. I just want to be able to make an order and specify the installation date.

So tell them a little white lie and say you have moved in, then you can arrange "between the 2 of you" a suitable date for them to install. (obviously this date will be the day you move in)

mckechan
14-08-2006, 18:13
Well that is what I have planned to do BUT my problem is that I do not believe I can communicate with them from my current phoneline.

I would order on the internet but I don't think that that would allow me to specify installation date.

Slyder
14-08-2006, 18:54
Well that is what I have planned to do BUT my problem is that I do not believe I can communicate with them from my current phoneline.

I would order on the internet but I don't think that that would allow me to specify installation date.

Tell them to ignore the phone number as your calling from a friends. ;)

mckechan
14-08-2006, 19:48
No it's automated. A computer tells me my number is not on the service area and then hangs up after promoting Virgin broadband.

This is why I was asking for general ideas on how long it takes the to install after ordering online. Then I can make sure I don't order too soon.

Chris W
14-08-2006, 21:46
withhold your number then call- if it asks you to input a phone number just put the area code of where you are moving to, followed by 000000

mckechan
14-08-2006, 23:01
That's a clever idea. I'll try it.

Thanks to everyone that's posted. I've been suprised by the response to what must seem a trivial matter...

lostandconfused
15-08-2006, 22:38
when it asks for your phone number just dial in the area code from the area your moving to and make up a 6 digit number, its only there to route your call to the correct department, you should then get through. just call 0800 052 9000, should get you sorted