PDA

View Full Version : Unable to access Geocities hosted websites...

mazolauk
11-12-2003, 16:16
Hi ,
Since the last dns outage , I have been unable to access any web pages hosted by Geocities. I have tried changing proxies (both ntl and non- ntl), but still nothing... I can however , access them through my Gio dial-up account with no problem.
Any ideas?

ne0phile
27-12-2003, 00:07
Hi ,
Since the last dns outage , I have been unable to access any web pages hosted by Geocities. I have tried changing proxies (both ntl and non- ntl), but still nothing... I can however , access them through my Gio dial-up account with no problem.
Any ideas?

i'm having the same problems :/

anyone have any ideas?

Paul
27-12-2003, 00:48
I don't use NTL's dns so it's not that - besides which I am having terrible trouble getting a response from Geocities even if I type in the actual IP (66.218.77.68).

It does eventually respond with a 302 re-direct to geocities.yahoo.com.

asdf
27-12-2003, 02:28
Geocities has been flakey even through my work connection for the past few weeks. I don't know whether they've got problems or what?

kronas
27-12-2003, 04:12
Hi ,
Any ideas?

try this proxy im on NTL and i use there DNS and have no problems accessing geocities based websites

209-184-119-202.accd.edu:80

rdhw
27-12-2003, 11:03
try this proxy im on NTL and i use there DNS and have no problems accessing geocities based websites

209-184-119-202.accd.edu:80Since you specified port 80 here, all your connections will still be going through an NTL transparent proxy. The only difference is that you will be using the same NTL transparent proxy for every connection, rather than being allocated to one of a cluster, according to destination address.

hjf288
27-12-2003, 13:45
No problems - No Proxy - Standard NTL DNS
No problems - No Proxy - My Webhosting Servers DNS (USA)

Seems fast enough

kronas
27-12-2003, 19:42
Since you specified port 80 here, all your connections will still be going through an NTL transparent proxy. The only difference is that you will be using the same NTL transparent proxy for every connection, rather than being allocated to one of a cluster, according to destination address.

i find that address improves page loading for certain sites especially US ones with graphics

Chrysalis
28-12-2003, 00:29
Its quite simple, proxies = trouble and NTL dns = trouble, use some other dns servers and use no proxies, then any sites that dont load will be problem elsewhere.

asdf
28-12-2003, 01:05
I don't think this is all down to ntl to be honest. Geocities has been having a lot of problems.

Chrysalis
28-12-2003, 04:40
geocities may not be down to ntl but nevertheless ntl have got some serious dns issues

Paul
28-12-2003, 21:17
geocities may not be down to ntl but nevertheless ntl have got some serious dns issuesNTL resolves geocities fine, what issues do you mean ?

hjf288
28-12-2003, 23:41
Ntls DNS has been quite stable for a while now

ZrByte
29-12-2003, 04:30
Geocities Nice and smooth here and has been for a few weeks, Odd that I only started using it again about 2 and a half weeks ago, If I had the same problems as you guys I wouldnt have been able to get on when I needed to.

Would it have anything to do with me Being in an Ex C&W area??

nopcode
31-01-2004, 07:42
I gotta say im having the same problem too, just tried the proxy from above and it worked first shot. Switched back and no response. So for whatever magical reason i can now visit my friends geocities site for the first time in weeks.
ty kronas

kronas
01-02-2004, 23:02
I gotta say im having the same problem too, just tried the proxy from above and it worked first shot. Switched back and no response. So for whatever magical reason i can now visit my friends geocities site for the first time in weeks.
ty kronas

no problem i posted it as i thought it was a proxy problem,atleast you can now view the sites...........

Chrysalis
02-02-2004, 02:02
I switched back to ntl dns servers and tried a few nslookup commands, it returned the wrong ip or unable to resolve for 3 major domains out of 8 I tried.

The 3 domains that failed worked again 20 mins later meaning dns is still up and down.

Domains I tried.

google.co.uk
yahoo.co.uk
hotmail.com
microsoft.com
gamefaqs.com
freebsd.org
adslguide.org
nthellworld.co.uk

On the working pages loading was slow as well, it had trouble looking up dns addresses for the images on the page.

asdf
02-02-2004, 09:21
Chrysalis, you're in Leicester, yeh? Which DNS servers are you using?

'cause I can resolve all of those and they all work speedy as normal - all day too. Apart from this site which I'm having problems with not just at home.

(No proxy here - either)

rdhw
02-02-2004, 11:58
I switched back to ntl dns servers and tried a few nslookup commands, it returned the wrong ip or unable to resolve for 3 major domains out of 8 I tried.Are you running a firewall? A firewall can interfere with DNS replies from servers which are a bit slow. Make sure you have configured your firewall always to permit replies from NTL DNS servers through to your PC.

Chrysalis
02-02-2004, 12:17
running a firewall but its not interfering as proved by when using the other dns servers and checking the firewall's logs, also I know the problem is there end as I have diagnosed a dozen ntl user's connections.

I am using demon's server's at the moment, when I tried ntl's I just used what was assigned to me.

asdf
02-02-2004, 15:36
Yes, but which ones (servers) are you getting?

'cause I'm wondering why you're getting no joy from the ntl servers if they're working perfectly fine for me only two or three miles away.