PDA

View Full Version : Installation Issue!

jock
09-08-2006, 17:50
Hi,

I am hoping that someone on this forum can please offer me some assistance to the following issue!

This morning NTL installers came to my building (comprised of 9 private flats).
I didn't bat an eyelid, as you do. I live in an area full of NTL customers, theres always an NTL van around.

However :Yikes: when I came back this evening I was appalled to see what in my opinion is a botched, lazy installation.

In this case they appear to have split the cable at ground level and proceeded to nail the cable to the walls of my flat (without permission). the entry point to the next flat is just a drilled hole that has been filled with silicone sealant! (Not allowed to have Sky on walls of building! Part of leasehold agreement)

Several years ago a previous flat owner who used to work as a cable installer told me that the underground cable comes out at the back of our flats and is channelled outside the building via a conduit to a "hub" in the loft.The cable is then channeled from there via conduit internally to each flat.

When I upgraded to a digital STB the installers had to also rewire as the existing cable was "crap". These guys done a sterling job, very proffessional etc. No fuss and a relatively quick job as the routed the new cable via the conduit provided!

Now Ive tried to complain via phone but unable to get answer! never mind a wee bit expensive.

Considering some of the stories Ive read re NTL ive had pretty good service as a customer of 6 and a half years.

But what can I do to get this eyesore rectified???????:(

Thanks

Jock

MovedGoalPosts
09-08-2006, 17:56
Best answer here is to write, recorded delivery, to ntl, copied to your freeholder / management company, stating that the wires are incorrectly routed over land / property that ntl will not have legal rights over. Require ntl to remove said cables, and make good all damage. Your managing agent / freeholder should back you on this.

Might be worth having a friendly word with your neighbour over this. Very easy to start a falling out, that creates on going bad feeling, or worse.

Red Robin
10-08-2006, 12:39
I totally second what Rob has said here; I work in the planning office. I would advise you to do exactly what he has said.

The work will have been done by a contractor who works for ntl, so ntl need to know about it in order to put it right.

If you are a private flatowner, the document which you should have been asked to sign to give access over your property wall to reach another property is a "right of access". You need to clearly state on your letter that "neither a wayleave, nor a Right of Access has been granted" by you.

HTH

Red Robin

jock
10-08-2006, 14:38
Hi & a big thanks!

Letter off to ntl in first post this morning.

Jock

Nedkelly
10-08-2006, 20:01
:) Use the respnonce tek feature as you will get a reply sooner than snail mail:tu: Also ring up and complain they will have to send out a supervisor or manager:tu:

MovedGoalPosts
10-08-2006, 20:07
You may get a faster response via Responsetek, but it strikes me that there is no guarantee you get any response from that. I've got a number of issues on there that were ignored.

Snail Mail letters, sent recorded delivery are ignored by a company at their peril. It may take time, but they provide the backing for proper enforcement action where basically ntl appear to have legally trespassed.

And the OP did state he'd tried to phone, but the ntl systems didn't want to play ball on that.

annoyedinstaller
14-08-2006, 13:50
stardard contractor installation now isn't it? Now in house have been got rid of!

kat2
20-08-2006, 21:37
ntl did my install, needless to say the same as the guy above, a botch install cables just tie wired to certain things then left suspended for several metres, you think your problem is bad *rofl* the place I live in is a historic grade 2 listed building, didnt stop ntl doing a botch job though. The building is so important that we have guided tours around it and its flood lit at night too
*sighs* perhaps they were in a hurry
huggs kat2

lostandconfused
21-08-2006, 22:27
You may get a faster response via Responsetek, but it strikes me that there is no guarantee you get any response from that. I've got a number of issues on there that were ignored.

Snail Mail letters, sent recorded delivery are ignored by a company at their peril. It may take time, but they provide the backing for proper enforcement action where basically ntl appear to have legally trespassed.

And the OP did state he'd tried to phone, but the ntl systems didn't want to play ball on that.

as said i would send a letter recorded delivery for your record and incase things dont go to plan, but i would also call CS and ask to raise a installs complaint tracker. make sure you get the referance number from this. your area manager will either send someone round or call within 48 hours.

jock
31-08-2006, 12:01
Hi and many thanks to all for their solid advice.

Letter to the Chief Exec. got the result I wanted. Head office got involved within a week and Bob's your Auntie Mary...

Issue is now resolved (within 3 weeks):) and even better cos NTL got Cobra to wire up the whole building internally therfore easier for all the other flat owners in my block to get all NTL services.

Nextdoor got reconnected on same day.

Electronic feedback form did not get any response!

The moral of this story is ....Ntl should not outsource. And NTL should not charge for contacting customer services via phone:dunce:

I know many on this forum have all had their gripes and moans but the difference/reduction in the quality of customer services at the coal face is unforgivable.

Over the 6 years as a NTL customer I have had sterling service, from the bloke who installed my services/upgrades to the chaps and chapesses in tech support. Issues sorted out often within minutes.

I work in an area where customer care is paramount, If you get it wrong your customers not only get a lower quality of service but they also loose confidence in all individuals within the organisation to deliver.

This is my main gripe with outsourcing to non-UK areas, my experiece is that of speaking to people who do not appear to have any knowledge about their services other than the written script in front of their face.

I just hope that someone from head office reads and takes heed of many of our comments on this forum...are we not the experts...the customer is always right.;)

Cheers

Jock

heiowge
06-09-2006, 21:14
And NTL should not charge for contacting customer services via phone:dunce: Jock

I got a bill of £7 something from them for calls made on talk unlimited. I asked them how many of my calls were to ntl. they said 11. I said i'm not paying for them. they said fair enough. i said what does that leave. they said 83p

kibblerok
08-09-2006, 21:38
speed dial 150 is coming back soon for landline customers free of charge

homealone
08-09-2006, 21:54
speed dial 150 is coming back soon for landline customers free of charge

what, not even a connection fee ;)

- be good if it does :tu:

maverick
08-09-2006, 22:00
I concure

150 customer service