PDA

View Full Version : The American Senator who wants to...

poolking
20-06-2003, 20:05
Has everyone read the story about the American senator who want's to destroy the computers of people who download illegal copies of music etc?

My worry with this is , if by some miracle it was made law, what would happen if they target innocent people.

It would also have serious consequences if they accidentally target a foreign government's computers.

Martin
20-06-2003, 20:14
Its another one of those cuckoo ideas that come out of America. Lets hope the idea doesn't get off the ground.:(

Stu038
20-06-2003, 20:43
Originally posted by Martin
Its another one of those cuckoo ideas that come out of America. Lets hope the idea doesn't get off the ground.:(

Big problem is that cos its America somthing daft like that could happen. Our cousins across the pond arn't always best known for their commensense. Bless em!!!!!

kronas
20-06-2003, 20:46
ive read this article they want to destroy the data that offends them seen as they cant stop the flow of mp3's so they only measure they can think of is to remotly destroy hardrives

Delta Whiskey
20-06-2003, 20:46
It seems he isn't as pure as the driven snow...

http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,59305,00.html

"But Hatch himself is using unlicensed software on his official website, which presumably would qualify his computer to be smoked by the system he proposes."

patrickp
20-06-2003, 20:51
Personally, I think it's all part of the media industries' attempts to blame falling sales on "piracy" rather than own up to cr*p product.

Delta Whiskey
20-06-2003, 21:08
They have to blame someone, It's hard to believe that these people actually listen to the 'music' they sell.

King Blimp
20-06-2003, 21:32
They are even gunning for legitimate discount online stores like CDWOW!! I'm happy to pay £8 for legitimate CD but the greedy BMA want to ban the imports and rip us off!!!!

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/archive/29787.html

If I'm forced to pay £15 HMV prices then I'll reinstall Kazaa and they'll get nothing....

Temporal
23-06-2003, 10:43
Originally posted by King Blimp
They are even gunning for legitimate discount online stores like CDWOW!! I'm happy to pay £8 for legitimate CD but the greedy BMA want to ban the imports and rip us off!!!!

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/archive/29787.html

If I'm forced to pay £15 HMV prices then I'll reinstall Kazaa and they'll get nothing....

They'll rip us off anyway they can! How many stores do you see with imports? A huge amount of busy for record shops is from imports - kill that and the record shops won't be happy!

Lord Nikon
23-06-2003, 11:04
I think there is a bigger issue here...

IF they pass the law that allows the RIAA to use termination software against customers machines then that means that there will be computers connected to the internet with software capable of causing permanent damage to hard ware over the net.

The RIAA is not renowned for its intelligence, so what are the odds that hackers will obtain this software and it will appear on the net.

If this happens then the world will see a growth in cyberterrorism the likes of which is unknown now. DoS attacks at the moment are an annoyance, a costly one at times for companies and private individuals alike simply through loss of online time.

When you then couple that with loss of data and equipment the costs in terms of downtime and replacement hardware / data recovery then the ramifications are immense.

To allow the use of termination software in any form would be sheer stupidity....

Chris
23-06-2003, 12:08
Originally posted by poolking
Has everyone read the story about the American senator who want's to destroy the computers of people who download illegal copies of music etc?

My worry with this is , if by some miracle it was made law, what would happen if they target innocent people.

It would also have serious consequences if they accidentally target a foreign government's computers.

Sounds to me like the same kind of doolally proposals that come out of the European Parliament and keep the Sun in headlines. The vast majority of those never get anywhere near law. I suspect this Senator is just grandstanding to get headlines. Is he up for re-election soon?

poolking
23-06-2003, 12:27
Originally posted by towny
Sounds to me like the same kind of doolally proposals that come out of the European Parliament and keep the Sun in headlines. The vast majority of those never get anywhere near law. I suspect this Senator is just grandstanding to get headlines. Is he up for re-election soon?

I think he is up for re-election.

I can see his campaign slogan.

"Vote for me I'm a loony"

:D

Lord Nikon
23-06-2003, 12:31
I think he is up for re-election.

I can see his campaign slogan.

"Vote for me I'm a loony"

:D

Why not, it worked for Screaming Lord Sutch :D

Taf
24-06-2003, 18:18
Is he already working on remote control method of destruction with Bill Gates? It would seem so at times.....

cjll3
25-06-2003, 15:00

Well I hope they start with his webserver as it is running unlicenced code.

:mad: