PDA

View Full Version : Moving house - now what do I do

loftus
04-08-2006, 16:08
Have had NTL at my rented flat (already cabled up) since the begiining of the year after splitting up with my wife.
Have bought a house and am moving in next week. Checked the postcode on the NTL website and the street is cabled - I knew this anyway as there are green NTL boxes and CATV hatches all the way down the street. House I am buying is not cabled.
3 weeks to a month ago I filled out the online moving form and heard zilch. Phoned Moves and was told:-

a) Street is not cabled
b) Street is cabled and all okay
c) Need a site survey
d) Most houses on street are rented and therefore no connections

I requested a site survey a couple of weeks back on the basis of advice read on here that if NTL do a site survey and say they can not connect you there is a chance of the contract being cancelled without being liable for the remaining 4 months. I was told it would happen in a couple of days, then that it had not been requested, then that it had been requested but not carried out and today that it will be requested again.
I am now obviously going to be without services when I move in.
Any ideas on what I can do now - I am tearing my hair out and I ain't got so much that I can afford to lose any more.

MovedGoalPosts
04-08-2006, 17:07
Which franchise area will you be in? There might be a forum member who could troubleshoot the network planning side of this.

loftus
04-08-2006, 21:29
I'm in Colchester - if someone could help that would be great.

Red Robin
07-08-2006, 13:48
Hi :)

PM me some details of where you live (as much info as you can provide would be a huge help) and a way I can get someone to contact you (email add or mobile no). I'm sure one of the Mods will pop on here in a bit and verify I do have the pleasure of working for ntl.

I don't cover Essex (I'm in the North) but I'll try to see if I can locate my equivalent for the area, and see if someone can check for you.

HTH

Red Robin

loftus
09-08-2006, 19:56
Well after a,ong discussion with home moves (following many phone calls and no decision) and then a further long discussion with the escalation team, my contract is being cancelled with no penalty. It appears its because they cant dig across the road to connect me.
Oh well - Sky doing any deals?

Red Robin
10-08-2006, 09:50
Loftus
Thanks for your PM on this. An inspector was due to call round, but if it is a case of not being able to connect across the road then at least you know.

Sorry I couldn't do more!

Red Robin

zing_deleted
10-08-2006, 09:56
Well after a,ong discussion with home moves (following many phone calls and no decision) and then a further long discussion with the escalation team, my contract is being cancelled with no penalty. It appears its because they cant dig across the road to connect me.
Oh well - Sky doing any deals?

IMO sky tv is superior to ntls anyway,You have a host of options now your stuck with a bt line. Theres talktalks offering and sky now has there own. upto 16 meg (adsl 2 ) uncapped for a tenner if your a sky subscriber. So you do have some very good options available to you :)

http://87.86.186.37/showmeskybroadband.htm of course your area needs to be unbundled for the better deals

Pipex offer http://www.pipex.co.uk/

Talktalk http://www.talktalk.co.uk/talktalk/servlet/gben-home-Home