PDA

View Full Version : Judges,appeals and unsafe convictions.

Gogogo
10-12-2003, 18:42
I have always had some respect for the judicial system in England and Wales but I must admit I'm getting rather concerned of late.

Hardly a week goes by without a noted case coming before the Court of Appeal and previous convictions of defendents having passed through cross examination, jury and judge only to find within a year or so cases are overturned. So what the hell is wrong with our judicial system?

I know cases are highlighted by the media and no doubt there is a sensational story begging in each case and that many more convictions secured perhaps are not overturned, so how many of them are safe convictions.

I have already commented on the Hoogstraten case, now we have yet another case that of Angela Cannings, from Salisbury, Wiltshire.

Can we sure that the Soham trial, even if verdicts of guilty are reached will these be overturned in a year's time on some technicality?

Again I have to ask the question. Who are judges accountable to, one assumes the Lord Chancellor, how is their performance measured, after all, as a teacher my teaching is measured and as we know teachers who fail to perform well can be sent elsewhere. Is there as yet a perfomance table listing judges, convictions and and unsafe convictions along with compensation costs.

Me thinks I must have a chat with my MP.

Anyway what do people out there think?

:mad: