PDA

View Full Version : Wembley

gazzae
03-08-2006, 20:29
Apparently Wembley is going to cost £1 Billion and it still might not be ready for the 2007 FA Cup final!

To put it in perspective, work at Wembley started in Sept, 2002. Whereas work on Arsenal's new Stadium started in February 2004.

Hope there will be different builders working on the Olympic stadiums!

yesman
19-10-2006, 19:35
Wembley Stadium to open next year.....

But the FA is not yet prepared to say the 2007 FA Cup final will definitely be staged at the near-£800m stadium.
:rolleyes:

WNSL, a subsidiary of the FA, is now expected to pay about £35m to Multiplex on top of the original fixed-price contract to take account of changes to the design.

Such amazing costs, this stadium had better be good

The Beeb (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/6039052.stm)

Stuart
19-10-2006, 19:38
To put Wembley into perspective:

I read in the Evening Standard, an article comparing two equivalant size projects. Terminal 5 at Heathrow and Wembley. The difference being that T5 is currently expected to be opened on time and under budget.

MovedGoalPosts
19-10-2006, 19:41
Since the FA can't even work out how to do what they are supposed to do, i.e. create a decent England Football team, what on earth makes us think they could work out how to get someone to build a stadium?

DocDutch
19-10-2006, 19:43
hehehehe nice 1 Rob.

but I never really got why they needed to change wembley I liked the 2 towers of it, okay it wasnt that big that it could handle 60k people.

Stuart
19-10-2006, 19:45
hehehehe nice 1 Rob.

but I never really got why they needed to change wembley I liked the 2 towers of it, okay it wasnt that big that it could handle 60k people.

I am not sure it needed rebuilding, but when I last went there it looked like it needed a lot of refurbishment.

It would also have probably had to be altered a lot as a result of the Disability Discrimination Act as well.

Wicked_and_Crazy
19-10-2006, 19:45
Wembley is built by Australians, says it all!! What else have they come here and been succesful with?

Stuart
19-10-2006, 19:47
Kylie has done well. Although she did seem to announce her family was originally Welsh as soon as she became famous.

Chimaera
19-10-2006, 19:48
They should have got the company that built the Milennium Stadium. Never been there myself, but it looks good! :)

Wicked_and_Crazy
19-10-2006, 19:51
They should have got the company that built the Milennium Stadium. Never been there myself, but it looks good! :)

Yes but thats built on the side of the river so if the drains break down as with Wembley you can stand on the river bank and ...

sir_drinks_alot
19-10-2006, 19:57
I am not sure it needed rebuilding, but when I last went there it looked like it needed a lot of refurbishment.

It would also have probably had to be altered a lot as a result of the Disability Discrimination Act as well.

Much as i loved the old Wembley i think it was for the better than thay started a new

yesman
19-10-2006, 19:59
It was Laing's Chim, but maybe they didn't want to know after the following....

However, as with many high profile, high spend projects, the scheme did not run entirely smoothly - design-and-build contractor Laing's lost a reported £20 million on the project after guaranteeing a maximum fixed price within a month of the design evolving.

Source (http://www.fmb.org.uk/publications/masterbuilder/june00/19.asp)

Oh and apparantly is was built very cheaply...
Cardiff 's £125 Millennium Stadium was a fitting venue for last year's Rugby World Cup. Although the home team failed to secure honours for their country, the flagship stadium proved a massive hit and has quickly become a landmark the city can be proud of

TheDaddy
23-05-2007, 14:58
After all the hundreds of millions spent, after all the delays and false dawns, this

Uefa says the new Wembley does not incorporate many of its requirements to stage a Champions League final, despite two meetings during construction to explain what they are (Times).

The FA really are jobs for the boys, couldn't organise a pish up in a brewery, all the things that are worst about this country etc etc. What a bunch of clowns :td: :mad:

yesman
23-05-2007, 22:59
After all the hundreds of millions spent, after all the delays and false dawns, this

Uefa says the new Wembley does not incorporate many of its requirements to stage a Champions League final, despite two meetings during construction to explain what they are (Times).

The FA really are jobs for the boys, couldn't organise a pish up in a brewery, all the things that are worst about this country etc etc. What a bunch of clowns :td: :mad:

Whatever those requirements might be.....:erm:
There are a few league grounds that pass the requirements, such as Old Trafford, Celtic Park etc, so what has Wembley failed to do?

gazzae
25-05-2007, 11:13
Whatever those requirements might be

1) Minimum capacity of 50,000 (5 star venues) or 30,000 (4 star venues)
2) All seats must be individual with backrests
3) Playing pitch dimensions of 105 x 68 m
4) Minimum distances between the playing field boundaries and the retaining wall: Sidelines 6m, Goal lines 7,5m
5) No perimeter fencing around the playing area
6) First-rate dressing rooms for both teams and the referees (equal size and furnishings for both teams, spacious, bright and clean)
7) Direct, private and protected access for both teams and the referees, from their dressing rooms to the playing area, and for their arrival at / departure from, the stadium
8) Suitable and appropriately equipped dope-testing room
9) Suitable and appropriately equipped room for the UEFA Delegate/Referee Observer
10) Floodlighting of a minimum intensity of 1400 Lux (eV) in the direction of the main camera, and 1000 Lux (eV) towards the other areas of the stadium, plus an efficient emergency power supply system able, if necessary, to provide instantaneously and without interruption, the equivalent light intensity values
11) A modern and efficient public address system which ensures that messages may be delivered to public areas, inside and outside the stadium, clearly and distinctly, during the event, and which is not diminished by sudden surges in crowd noise levels, nor vulnerable to failure of the main power supply
12) A permanent TV surveillance system in colour, covering all public areas inside and outside the stadium, which is capable of producing instant still photos
13) A stadium control room with the monitor screens for the TV surveillance system. The control posts for the public address announcer, the video information board (if any) the police, fire and medical services should all be located in, or immediately adjacent to the stadium control room which must have a clear, uninterrupted view of the whole interior of the stadium
14) Internationally understandable public signage, inside and outside the stadium, including the stadium approaches
15) A minimum of two sectors, with at least 50 covered seats in each, for disabled persons and their helpers. Such sectors must be suitably equipped with sanitation and refreshment facilities
16) Acceptable sanitary facilities for spectators (both sexes) in terms of numbers, cleanliness and standards. Toilets without seats will no longer be accepted for spectators of either sex
17) Provision of first-rate media facilities in terms of camera positions, working places, TV studios. The number of Media facilities may vary according to the match and the venue. (See UEFA Guideline for Media Facilities)
18) Adequate first class facilities must be provided for VIPs, including a minimum of 200 places at the VIP box, hospitality area for 400 VIP guests, possibilities for hospitality of 200 guests of the competing teams (200x2) and sufficient room outside the stadium (in the immediate vicinity) for Champions Village – approx. 4000 guests (in UEFA Champion league final only)

Compulsory requirements for hosting a UEFA Cup Final

19) International airport(s) able to cope with huge extra demands of UEFA final (capacity for up to 80 charter flights per day in addition to regular flight) airports must be operational day and night
20) Adequate hotel accommodation, for UEFA and its partners, at least 1000 five-star hotel rooms (UEFA Champions League) / 500 five star hotel rooms (UEFA Cup) are needed. In addition, enough other hotel accommodation in all types of category must be available

TheDaddy
25-05-2007, 11:24

So what did the FA miss out then?

gazzae
25-05-2007, 11:33
So what did the FA miss out then?

I found this seemed it wasn't the requirements they ignored but recommendations...

WEMBLEY have been accused of scoring a massive own goal by UEFA after ignoring recommendations for the Champions League final in the design of the new stadium.

With the game in Athens tonight set to be broadcast to 200 countries and the revenue from television rights swamping all other income, the TV arrangements are central to hosting a successful final.

UEFA’s senior media officer, Frits Ahlstrom, met with designers at the Hilton in London six years ago to discuss plans and two years later advised them again on what is required to host the biggest club match in world football.

However, the stadium’s architects subsequently decided to put the television and radio gantries on the opposite side of ground to the dressing room – a move which, logistically, makes running cables round the venue much more costly.

Ahlstrom said: “I am not disappointed. To be disappointed you need to have expectations. And I expect nothing. But I am sad.

“There are many reasons to go to London with the Champions League final, but with the TV cameras opposite the dugout it is not good for UEFA.”

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/7752

Osem
28-05-2007, 13:59
Some facts about the new Wembley Stadium.

http://www.designbuild-network.com/projects/wembley/

Lots of figures are being bandied around re. the cost of the stadium but the total costs of the project include far more than just the stadium.