PDA

View Full Version : Is my BB username the same as my <name>@ntlworld.com name?

Ash-Smith
10-12-2003, 16:49
Hi all. I'm trying to set up a router for my mum. The problem is that she doesn't know her username! We have the password written down. Her e-mail address is beckhurst"AT"ntlworld.com Is beckhurst the username we put into the router to make the connection?

She has asked customer service and they told her beckhurst, but I'm not sure if they gave her the right info (and if she asked them the right question).

Thanks.

Sociable
10-12-2003, 16:57
Trying to work out exactly what you mean by "set up a router".

Does she already have a set up and working BB connection through a modem and you are adding a router to this?

Or do you mean setting up a new Modem BB connection for the first time?

The username/password part is only really relevant for things like accessing that e-mail account once the connection is made as you don't effectively "Log in" when using a BB connection.

Florence
10-12-2003, 17:00
Hi all. I'm trying to set up a router for my mum. The problem is that she doesn't know her username! We have the password written down. Her e-mail address is beckhurst"AT"ntlworld.com Is beckhurst the username we put into the router to make the connection?

She has asked customer service and they told her beckhurst, but I'm not sure if they gave her the right info (and if she asked them the right question).

Thanks.
Have you cloned the MAC address over to the router.. I have a different name on the router to our BB as the BB is in hubbys name and the routers got my ame on it.
If there is no mac addy from your PC you will not get access to the internet.

Ash-Smith
10-12-2003, 17:03
The BB connection is working. She and my brother have a PC, both of which want to be on-line. Hence, I've got a router for them.

To clarrify, it's a seperate modem, not a STB. So, I don't need to mess about with MAC addresses!

I need the account username and password to enter into the router to get an IP address. Or on second thorught, do I??

Sociable
10-12-2003, 17:10
I need the account username and password to enter into the router to get an IP address. Or on second thorught, do I??

Sounds like you deff have a "Live" connection on both PC's so all you need to do is setup the email account for her in outlook or outlook express.

You only get one "external" IP address the router simply sorts out sharing that between the two PC's on the Lan. The router effectively recognises the two different PC's by their "Internal" addresses when it is passing on incomming messages. The default on the Router will be blocking such incomming calls though so you may find some applications like P2P wont work until you configure the router for those applications but thats for next time. :)

Ash-Smith
10-12-2003, 17:11
I'm such a fool. As I was writing that, I thought - "Do I need to enter a username or password at all?" So, I rung my brother, got him to set the "I don't need a username/password" option, and sorted! The router has an IP now!

Thanks. Sometimes talking things out helps!

Sociable
10-12-2003, 17:22
Thanks. Sometimes talking things out helps!

And how many answers are actually in the very question being asked. LOL