PDA

View Full Version : Lake District

greencreeper
01-08-2006, 22:11
Any thoughts on things to see?

I've spent the day in the Peak District - even managed, in gale force winds and seriously out of breath, to make it to the top of Mam Tor. Getting too old for hills. Thursday I plan on heading off for the Lake District, but wasn't sure on what place(s) to head for :erm:

Cobbydaler
01-08-2006, 22:13
Depends what you want, solitude or crowds? Mountains or lakes?

If you want relative solitude, lake & mountains I suggest Wastwater (http://www.visitcumbria.com/wc/wastwtr.htm)...

altis
01-08-2006, 22:39
Rheged (http://www.rheged.com/) is supposed to be well worth a visit, although I've never been myself.

And for a relaxing few hours, I'd recommend a trip on the steamer out of Coniston - taking in Ruskin's house while you're at it.

But for hills, well there's plenty to choose from!

For pretty, pretty, I'd recommend a walk around Buttermere or, for a little more exercise, stroll around Loughrigg near Ambleside. For more of a stretch try Stickle Tarn from Langdale or from Patterdale head through Hartsop, up the valley, over High Street and back down via Angle Tarn.

If you want to follow the crowds from Glenridding, head up Striding Edge, over Helvelyn and back down Catstye Cam. And if you really want to scare youself shirtless try Pinnacle Ridge up onto St Sunday Crag.

greencreeper
01-08-2006, 22:53
Both noted - thanks

I'm a bit anti-crowd - are annoying. We went down Speedwell "cavern" and there was a bloke with a baby. Have to ask yourself why anyone takes anything under 12 to view these things. Just not old enough to behave or appreciate what they're seeing. One kid asked if the cave people made the caves. Makes you wonder about the educational system in this country :D

My mate does the driving whereas I do the navigating. I love being lost but hate getting lost.

greencreeper
04-08-2006, 10:50
We headed for Windermere - it's the first lake you come to, heading from Leeds. The route should have taken 2hrs but took nearer 3hrs due to traffic and the roads being bad (lots of turns, dips and lorries). We spent about an hour pottering about Windermere. My mate was too much of a wuss to hire a rowing boat :D Being the navigator, I bought a map of the area and decided we should head for the Roman fort at Hardknott. It's well worth the drive but is incredibly difficult to get to - 25-30% gradients, lots of sharp bends, and very narrow (may have to reverse to a passing point). Lot of sheep as well. We were in a small, one litre Kia, less than a year old, and we managed it, with much engine revving and me leaning out the window, advising on how near the edge/rocks/sheep we were. Stunning views, especially when you get to the fort. There's a bit of parking area, just off the road (could be mistaken for a passing point), with a plaque, telling you that you're near the fort. From the "car park", you can make out the rectangular walls of the fort in the distance (about 5 mins walk). The ground was boggy, so boots are advisable. My mate was in shoes :D Nibble foot-work was required. The ruins have little plaques, telling you what you're looking at. Getting up on the ramparts, as my ancestors might have done, you can see for miles out over the pass. All in all, it took probably about 2hrs to cross Wrynose and Hardknott Passes, then double back along the A595/A593 into Windermere. We left Leeds at 11:00 and got home at just after 22:00, very tired.

Cobbydaler
04-08-2006, 11:04
Nice day out!

Good pics here (http://www.visitcumbria.com/wc/hardknottpass.htm)...

danielf
04-08-2006, 11:12
<snip> The ground was boggy, so boots are advisable. My mate was in shoes :D Nibble foot-work was required. <snip> I was going to ask you to explain, but on second thoughts, perhaps it's better you don't :D

greencreeper
04-08-2006, 11:45
I was going to ask you to explain, but on second thoughts, perhaps it's better you don't :D
I've just woke up (about an hour ago) and you know full well I meant nimble :D

---------- Post added at 11:45 ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 ----------

The link Cobbydaler posted...

First pic - we came down past that phonebox. If you were going up, past the phonebox, you'd be heading roughly east, from the coast.

Second pic - I stood near that square feature, in the far right corner. The pass is on the left - phonebox just below.

Third pic - we came down the pass as featured

Fourth pic - er, yeah. Were a lot of tyre marks :D We got stuck next to a guy in a silver car with a trailer (sorry). Managed to pass him. He was making good progress until he met us :blush: Was then wheel spinning up the hill.

Sixth pic - looks to be what was for us the start of Hardknott Pass, after we'd come down from Wrynose Pass. We pulled off the road near a stream and the turning away from the Pass, heading South. Was a farm or some building. We had a break and then made the attack on the Pass.

pedantic
04-08-2006, 12:16
We are going to a caravan park in Flookburgh next week, so am glad I found this thread. :D

Will look into some of the places mentioned, I just hope we can visit as much as possible. Unfortunately, I don't get much of a say, as I'm not the driver. :erm:

greencreeper
04-08-2006, 13:07
The navigator always has the last word in where the driver is going :D

pedantic
04-08-2006, 13:40
The navigator always has the last word in where the driver is going :D

If only it was that simple.

As there will be several females on the trip, they would be less than happy with your's truly, if I navigated to a place they didn't want to go. But feel free to take my place, and try. :D

Cobbydaler
04-08-2006, 13:46
As there will be several females on the trip

Suprised they're straying so far from the Trafford Centre... :shocked:

pedantic
04-08-2006, 13:56
Suprised they're straying so far from the Trafford Centre... :shocked:

I told them there was a new, bigger, shiny one, in Kendal. oops: :Sprint:

Cobbydaler
04-08-2006, 14:02
I told them there was a new, bigger, shiny one, in Kendal. oops: :Sprint:

Hope you've got armour plated skiddys when they find out the only thing you can buy in Kendal is mintcake... :Yikes:

handyman
04-08-2006, 14:05
ahem, don't knock Kendal. I work here :)

If your staying up anywhere near Kendal then the Maize Maze is good, Also we went to Oasis (not the holiday place the wildlife one nr Milnthorpe) Which was good, Lots of animals.

Rheged is rubbish so avoid though is your passing there are a couple of nice shops in it.

Kendal has lots of nice shops, plus of course mint cake. Lad at works dads owns Wilsons mint cake factory.

greencreeper
04-08-2006, 17:51
If only it was that simple.

As there will be several females on the trip, they would be less than happy with your's truly, if I navigated to a place they didn't want to go. But feel free to take my place, and try. :D
Hmmm. Women never know, though, what or where they want, and if they did, they lack the genes for navigation so would never get there. A firm hand is needed. Either that or sit quietly at the back and pretend to be sleeping :p:

One thing I will say about the Wrynose and Hardknott Passes - a small car and experienced, confident driver are essential. We spotted a few wheel trims along the route - no sign of the cars though... There were some people in large cars, but they'll be daft Southerners, so what can you expect. Definitely not a route for the inexperienced or timid driver.

altis
04-08-2006, 18:12
I once went over there as a passenger in a Toyota Landcruiser. Nice four wheel drive but dreadful lock. We had to 'three point turn' some of the bends!

pedantic
04-08-2006, 18:43
One thing I will say about the Wrynose and Hardknott Passes - a small car and experienced, confident driver are essential. We spotted a few wheel trims along the route - no sign of the cars though... There were some people in large cars, but they'll be daft Southerners, so what can you expect. Definitely not a route for the inexperienced or timid driver.

I think you just insulted a large percentage of CF members with that comment. :D

punky
04-08-2006, 20:03

I think you just insulted a large percentage of CF members with that comment. :D

Nah... the majority of users on this forum are actuallly northern monkeys... But be careful about saying things against us daft southerners, we'll come after you with our handbags...

Jules
04-08-2006, 20:36
Hmmm. Women never know, though, what or where they want, and if they did, they lack the genes for navigation so would never get there. A firm hand is needed.

Oy! You are not too far away for me to come and give you a slap!!

Glad you had a good time :tu:

danielf
04-08-2006, 23:02
Nah... the majority of users on this forum are actuallly northern monkeys... But be careful about saying things against us daft southerners, we'll come after you with our handbags...

Careful now. You'll have to face the women, so you want to pack a bit more than your handbag.

As a reminder, consider this (courtesy of kliro; original posted here (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=49074)).

Scroll down to Newcastle :disturbd:

http://www.ego-chimp-files.com/Sweden_vs_GB.pps