PDA

View Full Version : Merged - Ebay

jonno
10-12-2003, 10:25
Has anyone else experienced this? I've had NTL broadband for about three months now, the 1mbs option. At first it was fine, but about three weeks ago
access to the Ebay site suddenly became painfully slow, (it was really fast before), but no problem on any other sites that I visit. The obvious answer was the site, but it's not that as I also have a laptop with an ISDN conection for work and it's OK accessing Ebay with that. I've done all the usual with the browser, cleared the cache etc. but no joy. I've made no changes to the PC at all (it's three months old, with XP) although I did install some firewall software but I'm sure Ebay access was fine for a while after that was installed, and anyway I've tried switching that off with no difference.
My next step is to call NTL support, but in my experience it will be almost impossible to get through! Has enyone else had this problem? Or does anyone have a possible solution? Many thanks.
I've also noticed recently that the connection seems to time out after the PC isn't used for a few hours, involving rebooting to allow web access. That can't be right, surely? It didn't used to do that when I first got it! Or is that normal?!!

danielf
10-12-2003, 10:42
Have you tried changing the proxy in your browser?

Robin Walker's site gives a list of proxies you could try.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/trancache.html#ntl

jonno
10-12-2003, 11:31
Tried a variety of those - no difference. Thanks anyway!

asdf
10-12-2003, 14:06
There was a problem with ebay and ntl a couple of months ago, I'd say try .com but it's gone! There was a whole thread (or multiple!) about it there.

asdf
10-12-2003, 14:09
Just searched and can't find much info on here.

Found http://www.chetnet.co.uk/portal/forum/viewtopic.php?t=998&highlight=ebay on ChetNet and a few others if you do a search :D

Derek
10-12-2003, 15:16
I have a problem getting into Ebay using Opera or Firebird.

If you are using either of these try going back to Internet Explorer and see if that helps

jonno
10-12-2003, 19:49
I have a problem getting into Ebay using Opera or Firebird.

If you are using either of these try going back to Internet Explorer and see if that helps

I'm using Explorer. I've just spent an hour on the phone with NTL tech support.
Guess what? They can't fix it, and claim they've had no other complaints of the same nature from anyone else. There's seems to be plenty on other messageboards....... :zzz:

Neil
10-12-2003, 20:55
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=ebay+problem+using+ntl

You are far from alone, & as for ntl 'never having heard of the problem', yeah right. :rolleyes:

More BS from ntl I'm afraid. :dozey:

meld51
10-12-2003, 21:19
I have both of your probs.

I do get into Ebay but it can be slow. I actually do put it down to Ebay themselves. As a seller, I find it slower at peak times such as mid evening and especially at weekends. I usually check my sales in the morning when I get up. Its usually fast at that time.

Also I lose my NTL connection all the time in the same manner that you describe. It usually requres a reboot, but I don't know why it happens.

Anyone else got any idea on this one?

looselipsuk
10-12-2003, 21:22
Sorry to say, touch wood, but I am near Mansfield and so far am having no trouble with accessing Ebay.

Paul
10-12-2003, 22:17
Ditto, never had a problem with it here.

asdf
10-12-2003, 23:06
Me either. I just remember there being something actually on the ebay homepage about it.

jonno
13-12-2003, 08:34
Checked last night and it's now OK! :)