PDA

View Full Version : Prader-Willi Syndrome

Tinky
28-07-2006, 19:14
Shown on channel 4 last night. An illness that causes people to overeat because they never feel full. I count my lucky stars I am not one of them, although at times I feel I could eat a scabby horse (or two)! The diets gone down the pan as well. Anyone got any good tips for losing weight, and keeping it off? All sensible suggestions considered.

Xaccers
28-07-2006, 19:21
Atkins. It's a simple way to get to a truly balanced (between fibre, protein and carbs) diet.
I find it strange how so called diet experts poo poo Atkins saying its bad for you to completely cut out carbs from your diet, when anyone who knows even a little bit about Atkins knows you don't completely cut them out, just reduce them to the actual level your body needs (going slightly below this level in order to lose weight).
Exercise is also important at speeding up your metabolism.

Tinky
28-07-2006, 19:34
Thank you Xaccers for your very speedy reply, which I truly appreciate. I have actually tried Atkins and stuck to it solidly for 2 weeks, if I can remember correctly, I lost a really piddling amount, 2lbs I think, even although I bought all the required paraphernalia like the special sweetners etc., I have tried every diet imaginable even stuck the cabbage soup diet for 13 days.... Yuk... lost 8 lbs.... soon went back on again alas. Maybe when you get to my age you should give up! What say you?

homealone
28-07-2006, 19:51
Xaccers is 'spot on' about exercise being important, as the bodies natural reaction to reducing calorie intake is to lower metabolic rate to compensate, which stops you losing weight.

It isn't easy, I guess 'at your age', but even a brisk walk each day is better than nothing - provided you don't try to do too much, too soon.

The cabbage 'diet' is very poor, Xaccers again hits on the key thing, which is balance, so you get all the nutrition you need, but, overall, reduce the calories. Zinglebarb posted a link to a site which allows you to input what you eat & what exercise you've done & works out your overall net energy intake, if I can find it, I'll post back. :)

here you go, link in first post of this thread

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=50040

:)

Tinky
28-07-2006, 20:01
Thanks Gaz
You helped me before with laser mouse!

Xaccers
28-07-2006, 20:07
2 weeks is just the time Atkins gives to get your body off it's "carb addiction" afterwhich you start re-introducing carbs slowly.
However, Atkins doesn't work for everyone.
A guy at work lost 6 stone in a scary short period of time!

Tinky
28-07-2006, 20:31
Cheers Xaccers,
I am told that certain medication prevents weight loss on Atkins and I do believe this. My neighbour lost tons with no effort whatsoever. Believe me I stuck to Atkins religiously (even NO alchohol)) drank black coffee the lot, which goes against the grain. I seriously would like to lose around 3 stones ideally (in my dreams). I don't think I have another diet in me. Maybe I will wake up tomorrow with new resolve. after all 'tomorrow is another day'.

homealone
28-07-2006, 20:35
2 weeks is just the time Atkins gives to get your body off it's "carb addiction" afterwhich you start re-introducing carbs slowly.
However, Atkins doesn't work for everyone.
A guy at work lost 6 stone in a scary short period of time!

I think where people start to go 'bug eyed' is where they try to get the significance of glyceamic index (GI), when it comes to carbs, so reducing refined sugar is usually a good thing, as they are high GI, but wholegrain oats are low GI, even though they contain starch.....

Tinky
28-07-2006, 20:44
Sorry Gaz, can you say that in English?:shrug:

homealone
28-07-2006, 21:01
Sorry Gaz, can you say that in English?:shrug:

there you are, proves me point ;)

Right, I'll try - the ultimate fate of any food you eat, is that it is broken down into its components & 'burnt' to provide energy. Calories really are a measure of heat.

Some foods, such as refined sugar, for example, are broken down really quickly & release a 'burst' of glucose into your bloodstream, all at once (high GI). Wheras wholegrains, for example, are broken down more slowly & the glucose from the starch they contain, is released more slowly (lower GI), so you get a 'trickle' of glucose that lasts for a while, rather than getting it all at once. Your body can cope with this better, and also you tend not to feel hungry again, so quickly. :)

Tinky
29-07-2006, 08:25
Well that's me told! Course I knew that all along.

Ramrod
29-07-2006, 10:13
Anyone got any good tips for losing weight, and keeping it off? All sensible suggestions considered.Zinglebarb is doing very well atm......ask him:)

Tinky
29-07-2006, 10:36
Will co Ramrod