PDA

View Full Version : Noise from brakes.

gazzae
26-07-2006, 13:55
I've noticed a kind of a ggggrrrrrrrrr noise coming from my brakes the past couple of days.
It seems to be intermittent and it only happens when stopping i.e. when I'm slowing from say 20 to 0 it happens, but if I slow from 50 to 20 there is no noise.

The pads appear to be fine from what I can see.

Anyone got an idea what could be causing the noise?

Cobbydaler
26-07-2006, 14:04
Piece of grit stuck in one of the pads?

Is it coming from both sides or one?

gazzae
26-07-2006, 14:19
Piece of grit stuck in one of the pads?

Is it coming from both sides or one?

Hard to tell, might be both sides, doesn't sound like grit.

MovedGoalPosts
26-07-2006, 18:17
Do the disks look like they are scored at all. Grinding noises would usually indicate wear. The pads may look alright with a bit of material left but the way they are fixed often means the metal rivets, that hold the pad to the metal back plate, will be exposed to the disk if the pad gets too thin.

Enuff
26-07-2006, 18:30
I'd get them checked, you can't be too careful when it comes to breaks. Eventually they will knacker your discs. (If that's what the problem is?)

gazzae
26-07-2006, 18:56
Do the disks look like they are scored at all. Grinding noises would usually indicate wear. The pads may look alright with a bit of material left but the way they are fixed often means the metal rivets, that hold the pad to the metal back plate, will be exposed to the disk if the pad gets too thin.

They are scored, but I don't know if its normal wear or not. Here are a couple of pics...

Enuff
26-07-2006, 19:08
They look scored to me gazzae... I've had this happen to me some years ago, always had a grinding noise whenever I came to a halt. The pads were well worn, virtually none existant!

MovedGoalPosts
26-07-2006, 19:09
The discs don't look excessively scored to me, although one phot sort of suggests a dsic may have worn down in thickness - looks like there is a bit of a rim there, but photo's can be misleading. As others have said brakes aren't somethign to be messed with. Any doubt at all get them checked. Many of the tyre fitter places will look for nothing.

Wicked_and_Crazy
26-07-2006, 19:12
those pics look like normal wear

pads are more likely to have glazed due to the heat. Do you heavy brake a lot?

Sometimes the noise can be created due to brake dust. The pads often hve an anti squeal plate that they sit on, too much brake dust can make this ineffective

gazzae
26-07-2006, 19:31
Cheers for the advice all.

I would heavy brake a responable amount I'd say, the road I drive to work has a lot of lights that like changing when I approch them, especially if I'm running late!

Wicked_and_Crazy
26-07-2006, 19:33
Cheers for the advice all.

I would heavy brake a responable amount I'd say, the road I drive to work has a lot of lights that like changing when I approch them, especially if I'm running late!

repeated heavy braking will build up more heat in this weather an could glaze the pads over so that its like rubbing glass and metal together

greencreeper
26-07-2006, 21:19
Do cars no longer have rear brakes :erm: Bit dangerous if not. If it does have rear ones, you can try moving slowly forward with the handbrake on a little - see what happens. If you get the noise, you know it's not the front.

Wicked_and_Crazy
26-07-2006, 22:00
Do cars no longer have rear brakes :erm: Bit dangerous if not. If it does have rear ones, you can try moving slowly forward with the handbrake on a little - see what happens. If you get the noise, you know it's not the front.

:D of course cars have rear brakes, they have brakes on each wheel. The brake bias is towards the front so its most likely to come from the front

budwieser
27-07-2006, 18:28
I've noticed a kind of a ggggrrrrrrrrr noise coming from my brakes the past couple of days.
It seems to be intermittent and it only happens when stopping i.e. when I'm slowing from say 20 to 0 it happens, but if I slow from 50 to 20 there is no noise.

The pads appear to be fine from what I can see.

Anyone got an idea what could be causing the noise?

What car do you have Gazzae?

pop80_uk
27-07-2006, 18:57
Id say its the anti squeal shims, they may need a bit more copper grease.
The squeal shims sit on top of the pads and allow the pad to move on the capliper during breaking, thus no friction no squeal.
Hope this helps.

marky
28-07-2006, 01:15
I reckon one of the pads is down to nothing, trust me i play with big cars ;)

Graham M
28-07-2006, 06:59
It does sound like it Mark

Wicked_and_Crazy
28-07-2006, 08:46
Id say its the anti squeal shims, they may need a bit more copper grease.
The squeal shims sit on top of the pads and allow the pad to move on the capliper during breaking, thus no friction no squeal.
Hope this helps.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showpost.php?p=786835&postcount=9

:rolleyes:

Fingy
28-07-2006, 08:48
I know a good mechanic in Belfast who would have a look at it for you and if it doesn't need anything done he'll tell you... he also doesn't rip you off... very rare these days. PM me if you want his details.

Enuff
29-07-2006, 21:02
did u get them sorted?