PDA

View Full Version : tv advice

paulyoung666
09-12-2003, 13:18
has anyone bought a schneider 28" widescreen tv from asda , i need a new one and was considering it especially as i could get one for £180 , anyone any thoughts :D

Defiant
09-12-2003, 13:22
has anyone bought a schneider 28" widescreen tv from asda , i need a new one and was considering it especially as i could get one for £180 , anyone any thoughts :D

I got a 28inch SEG from Lido for £170 so am happy. I did wonder who SEG were but found out its Hitachi :)

paulyoung666
09-12-2003, 13:29
I got a 28inch SEG from Lido for £170 so am happy. I did wonder who SEG were but found out its Hitachi :)

lidl ?????????? , interesting that thanks , somewhere else to try , the thing that made me think of asda was the 3 year g'tee , i think they are still doing it that is :shrug:

maybe i should have asked in the first place anyone with expreience of £200 widescreen tv's :)

2||Para
09-12-2003, 13:55
Also try tesco's they have a sub 200 28" widescreen made by Bush i believe.

Father-inlaw bought one and hasnt had a days trouble with it.

ian@huth
09-12-2003, 14:09

I bought one from Asda a couple of years or so ago. It worked fine for just over 12 months and then developed a sound problem. Phoned Asda and they told me to bring it back and I could either have a replacement or my money back. I exchanged it for a Bush 28" widescreen with a new 3 years guarantee and got £50 cash back into the bargain. I have had that for over a year with no problems. If you want a cheap TV then Asda is certainly the best place to get it from.

Defiant
09-12-2003, 14:22
lidl ?????????? , interesting that thanks , somewhere else to try , the thing that made me think of asda was the 3 year g'tee , i think they are still doing it that is :shrug:

I got the 3 year g'tee with it too ;)

paulyoung666
09-12-2003, 14:32
I got the 3 year g'tee with it too ;)

asda's looking good to me then , cheers :D

SMHarman
09-12-2003, 14:35
You get what you pay for...
At this level the screen will not be flat, so at this size the image will have a fair amount of distortion.
Picture enhancement may not be so great
Sound will be stereo only (but if you already have DVD/surround sound who cares)
Speakers may not be as well damped, the cabinet could rattle at volume and the speakers will be cheaper with lower power amplification.
Image sharpness may not be tip top.

That said you look in what HiFi Sound and Vision.
Bush WS6673 £299 4* Great Value - a decent combination of picture and sound at an almost giveaway price.
Goodmans GTV69W5 £330 4* Solid value and with some adjuetment a good picture balance sound nothing special.
Samsung WS-24W63V £350 3*Good looking and offers reasonable value for money.

Though shopping around the award winning

Panasonic TX28PS1 £500 Best Buy awards 2003 Wonderful flatscreen picture and reasonable spec

Kelkoo show this to be availible for £380 from dixons or comet on line (and no shipping charge).

near double your budget I know, but make sure you watch a flat picture before you buy a traditional bubble shaped screen, the difference is astounding. I think you would enjoy watching this for longer and find it more enjoyable to watch for extended viewing.

paulyoung666
09-12-2003, 14:59
You get what you pay for...
At this level the screen will not be flat, so at this size the image will have a fair amount of distortion.
Picture enhancement may not be so great
Sound will be stereo only (but if you already have DVD/surround sound who cares)
Speakers may not be as well damped, the cabinet could rattle at volume and the speakers will be cheaper with lower power amplification.
Image sharpness may not be tip top.

That said you look in what HiFi Sound and Vision.
Bush WS6673 £299 4* Great Value - a decent combination of picture and sound at an almost giveaway price.
Goodmans GTV69W5 £330 4* Solid value and with some adjuetment a good picture balance sound nothing special.
Samsung WS-24W63V £350 3*Good looking and offers reasonable value for money.

Though shopping around the award winning

Panasonic TX28PS1 £500 Best Buy awards 2003 Wonderful flatscreen picture and reasonable spec

Kelkoo show this to be availible for £380 from dixons or comet on line (and no shipping charge).

near double your budget I know, but make sure you watch a flat picture before you buy a traditional bubble shaped screen, the difference is astounding. I think you would enjoy watching this for longer and find it more enjoyable to watch for extended viewing.

thanks for the advice but im afraid the budget wins , i am watching a 14" portable at the moment and it is killing me :mad: , i would love to be able to spend more but it is just not an option :no:

virtual-angel
09-12-2003, 16:42
I recently bought a 28" samsung widescreen from big W for £180 and its been fab so far. i think they still have them if ur interested.

Edit - if your going to go for the one from lidl then make sure your there early in the morning or they will sell out! there special offers are released on mondays and thursdays so id get down there sharpish and have a look.

paulyoung666
09-12-2003, 18:00
I recently bought a 28" samsung widescreen from big W for £180 and its been fab so far. i think they still have them if ur interested.

Edit - if your going to go for the one from lidl then make sure your there early in the morning or they will sell out! there special offers are released on mondays and thursdays so id get down there sharpish and have a look.

totally forgot about big w , cheers :)

snuffs99
10-12-2003, 19:40
YEP i got one.

its great, had it about 6 months now, setup is easy and pic is great.
Go for the schneider, i was a bit shall i shant i and finally took the plunge and never looked back. Plus with ASDAs 3 year no quibble guarantee what more could you ask.

P.S it has 2 scart + 1 s-vid and 1 earphone. plenty for most.

paulyoung666
10-12-2003, 20:04
YEP i got one.

its great, had it about 6 months now, setup is easy and pic is great.
Go for the schneider, i was a bit shall i shant i and finally took the plunge and never looked back. Plus with ASDAs 3 year no quibble guarantee what more could you ask.

P.S it has 2 scart + 1 s-vid and 1 earphone. plenty for most.

just been and got one :) , well impressed for the price , mind you the funny thing is , it is a pacific box with a pacific badge on the front but half the instructions are schneider :shrug: , not to worry , it works and i will sort out the rats nest tomorrow :p :p :p :p

zoombini
11-12-2003, 11:35
Are you aware that Adsa have dropped thier 3 year guarantee on these?

Also that you may not be able to take it back & exchange it if it develops a fault as Asda have stopped selling this model (according to my store manager).
If this is a national thing then perhaps you got one of the last ones.

I got one 13 months ago, it was OK in a get what you pay for way, it had its annoying little things like a high pitched noise after many hours use (usually in the early hours of the morning).
The eventual reason to takeit back was when it just stopped working.

I tried the Pacific 28" Wide screen from Asda & took it back the next day, it was total crap.

Puzzling as Pacific are made by Schnieder.
If the Pacific DVD player works fine why can they not make TV's that do too.

Ah well, if you do keep it & it blows up outside of the warranty I have the service manual somewhere for "the guy wot fixes it".

paulyoung666
11-12-2003, 11:56
just keep hold of the service manual for me in case , anyway it suits me and it was price driven so you pays your money and takes your chance :D

Wolf
11-12-2003, 11:57
I bought a £300 28" Bush Tv from Aldi. Picture slighty twisted (no rotation feature) Second scart input only gives red images But apart from that it's a Flat screen and gives a really good picture for a cheap TV. Last time i ever buy a cheap tv but it's ok for the bedroom.

paulyoung666
11-12-2003, 12:02
I bought a £300 28" Bush Tv from Aldi. Picture slighty twisted (no rotation feature) Second scart input only gives red images But apart from that it's a Flat screen and gives a really good picture for a cheap TV. Last time i ever buy a cheap tv but it's ok for the bedroom.

so you took it back right :erm: