PDA

View Full Version : FIFA vs. Pro Evolution

kbcs6dpm
09-12-2003, 09:19
VOTE: Which is better, FIFA Football or Pro Evolution Soccer?

I ask because i have a PS2 and want to but a footy game for it. The only footy game i have on the PS1 is FIFA 99, which i really love cos it's easy to play and easy to score.

So i want to know whether to but FIFA again or move to Pro Evo. Also, should i buy FIFA 2003 or 2004, or Pro Evo 2 or 3? Any suggestions?

smicer07
09-12-2003, 09:45
If you want to play online, Fifa has this option and PE3 doesn't. However, if you aren't bothered about the online play, get PES3, it's the best football game ever created.

Boom
09-12-2003, 10:09
Usually I'm a pro-online type of gamer (i.e. if it's got online capability it's a better game), however, in this case, irrespective of no online option, PES3 is miles better IMO.

gazzae
09-12-2003, 10:26
I brought FIFA 2004 and then traded it in a few weeks later for PES.
There were loads of problems that really annoyed me. I won't list them all here.
One though was that you could be the last man and scythe someone down and give away a penalty and not even get a card. And then in other instances you could give away a foul in the center circle by barely touching the other player and get sent off.

Plus the fatigue thing really annoys me. Funny how in the Premier league players can play nearly every game, but in FIFA 2004 they can only play 4 or 5 before they need to be rested for a few games.

TigaSefi
09-12-2003, 13:19
Even on my Gamecube, I am gonna say PES is the best option. I been getting really involved in the master league, there nothing like working the ball to the wing and zippin' down the wing and crossin' into the box for someone to head it in and then defend 1-0 for the rest of the game and on normal/hard level, that what you gonna have to do......

imback
09-12-2003, 14:07
It's not even a competition, I mean an online option is not going to stop FIFA being really bad.

PES3 has it's faults but it is the best incarnation of footy ever.

smicer07
09-12-2003, 14:21
Sorry if I was unclear, I was in no way suggesting an online option hides the fact that PE3 is by far the superior game in every way, just that if he REALLY wanted the online, then it's there in Fifa.

imback
09-12-2003, 14:28
Sorry if I was unclear, I was in no way suggesting an online option hides the fact that PE3 is by far the superior game in every way, just that if he REALLY wanted the online, then it's there in Fifa.

Agreed, the online play is the only reason to buy FIFA.

TigaSefi
09-12-2003, 15:47
BTW, what button on the gamecube controller is used to do the step over ?

imback
09-12-2003, 15:48
BTW, what button on the gamecube controller is used to do the step over ?

I don't know sorry I play on PS2. I can't find out as the fan site is down for a server change today.

whomenoyou
09-12-2003, 16:45
Maybe you can help me out in a purchasing decision.
I haven't played PES in a long long time, whats it like? Do you have a domestic season mode where you can play a league and in Europe?

Are Arsenal still called London as I think thats what they are called the version of PES that I had.

Thanks

smicer07
09-12-2003, 16:47
It's excellent. It has a master league mode which is like the Fifa season thing, you buy and sell players etc. The players and teams are all wrong, but you can easily update them ;)

imback
09-12-2003, 16:50
Maybe you can help me out in a purchasing decision.
I haven't played PES in a long long time, whats it like? Do you have a domestic season mode where you can play a league and in Europe?

Are Arsenal still called London as I think thats what they are called the version of PES that I had.

Thanks

Not many real team names, a lot more real player names. You have the Master League as normal, International cups, European leagues and create you own leagues/tournaments etc.

There is a Pc version of PEs3 out and of course there will be a million patches for it to add sponsors etc.

If you want a football game get PES3, if you want a game that looks good, has real team names, etc etc etc get FIFA.

imback
09-12-2003, 16:51
It's excellent. It has a master league mode which is like the Fifa season thing, you buy and sell players etc. The players and teams are all wrong, but you can easily update them ;)

Have you manged to "update" team strips yet, as in sponsors and things?

bob_builder
09-12-2003, 17:57
Even on my Gamecube, I am gonna say PES is the best option. I been getting really involved in the master league, there nothing like working the ball to the wing and zippin' down the wing and crossin' into the box for someone to head it in and then defend 1-0 for the rest of the game and on normal/hard level, that what you gonna have to do......
Can you get PES3 for the Gamecube?

TigaSefi
09-12-2003, 18:21
You can get the japanese version of PES2 on the Gamecube called Winning Eleven 6: Final Evolution which is an updated version of PES2. There is Winning Eleven 7 in Japan for PS2 but it not yet been transferred to Gamecube and I don't think it will. All the menus are in Japanese but I got a file that transfers all the team and players names into English. The menu system is very intuitive and there a FAQ online.

For WE6:FE, you need an USB Memory Card and also Freeloader. This can all be ordered from www.playasia.com or www.liksang.com. I highly recommend it.

kronas
09-12-2003, 18:22
pro evolution soccer 3 is the definative football game it offers realistic ball control player movements and exceptional gameplay that is unparalleled for me its a no contest PES3 lives up to the hype and provides some very entertaining football with freinds or with the CPU

MadGamer
09-12-2003, 18:35
FIFA 2004 is supposed to be good. im asking for it on the PC for Xmas. Though i have heard that its hard to score.

imback
09-12-2003, 20:03
FIFA 2004 is supposed to be good. im asking for it on the PC for Xmas. Though i have heard that its hard to score.

FIFA is fine if you want an arcde feel to it, but if you think this year's is good check out the official EA forums, even life time fans of the game are complaining it's no good.

All Konami neede to do (and it's rumoured that they have done it for PES4) is to secure the licences for palyer/team names, then there would be no need for anyone over the age of 12 to buy FIFA unless EA made it a new game.

smicer07
09-12-2003, 21:21
Not available for Cube, PC and PS2 only. And yes, you can update the strips.

gazzae
09-12-2003, 22:00

Its hard to score from in the box, or one on ones with the keeper, but the 40 yard screamers still fly in with alarming regularity.

Plus EA also seemed to forget that football is an outdoors sport. Fifa 2004 has no weather what so ever. So every games is in sunny, calm conditions

TigaSefi
09-12-2003, 22:50
oi Smicer07, please do be advised that Winning Eleven 6 is AVAILABLE on the Gamecube even though it not the the same as PES3 - Slightly older version :)

smicer07
10-12-2003, 08:26
Oops, I knew that, obviously ;)

kbcs6dpm
10-12-2003, 09:11
Question:

I want a game that i can just pick up, play, and put down after half an hour or so. Which of these would be best for that purpose?

Also, i would prefer having real player and team names. Is it easy to do this in Pro Evo, or should i just not bother with that and go with FIFA?

TigaSefi
10-12-2003, 09:48
Thing with Pro Evo 3 is that when u do pick it up, you won't be able to put it down again lol.. I was up till 1am playin' it, "Just another game then I'll come to bed" lol.....

imback
10-12-2003, 10:11
Question:

I want a game that i can just pick up, play, and put down after half an hour or so. Which of these would be best for that purpose?

Also, i would prefer having real player and team names. Is it easy to do this in Pro Evo, or should i just not bother with that and go with FIFA?

If you are a football fan do yourself a favour and get PES, FIFA is nothing like football. The way I always say it is, it's like seeing some model in a magazine, she looks fantastic, but reality her breasts are fake, the pic is airbrushed, and the way she looks just hides her many flaws. :D

whomenoyou
11-12-2003, 11:12
I brought PES3 last night, absolutley brilliant! Was up till 4am playing it.

Quick question, is there a list anywhere of all the teams and their correct names? I mean most are obivious - Trad Bricks, Merseyside Red, old firm blue etc, but some aren't.

Thanks

smicer07
11-12-2003, 11:34
http://www.pes3.tk/

If you'd like the updated teams, players, commentary etc, I can do it for you. You'd have to send me your memory card and I can copy my file onto yours. It'll make it easier and quicker that way, if you'd like. Let me know. Simon.

imback
11-12-2003, 11:42
I brought PES3 last night, absolutley brilliant! Was up till 4am playing it.

Quick question, is there a list anywhere of all the teams and their correct names? I mean most are obivious - Trad Bricks, Merseyside Red, old firm blue etc, but some aren't.

Thanks

Any questions about the game, any hints needed, or if you need to know how to do the special moves check out this site www.pesfan.com

whomenoyou
11-12-2003, 11:54

If you'd like the updated teams, players, commentary etc, I can do it for you. You'd have to send me your memory card and I can copy my file onto yours. It'll make it easier and quicker that way, if you'd like. Let me know. Simon.

I might just do that mate, thanks for the offer. (After Xmas though).

I know if you have a PC version that you can download new kits etc. Is there any way you can connect a PS2 to a PC and download files for this?

whomenoyou
11-12-2003, 11:55
Any questions about the game, any hints needed, or if you need to know how to do the special moves check out this site www.pesfan.com

Cool site, thanks!

smicer07
11-12-2003, 12:05
Yup but you need to buy something called an X-Port. You can get it from :

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=search&adudisc=y

Just gone down in price, lucky you, I got it for 17.99!

You link this to your ps2, then get files on to your memory card from here:

http://www.pesfan.com/bulletin/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=92

That's what I've done. So you can either do that, or I can do it for you.
Simon.

TigaSefi
11-12-2003, 12:16
Yay another convert to the PES/Winning Eleven games.

Tis wicked i tell ya....I am gonna stay up till 2am tonight playing it, I have 3 more games to secure the 1st/2nd berths then I do the playoffs to get from division 3 to Division 2 on the master league. Difficult I tell ya.

imback
11-12-2003, 12:17
I might just do that mate, thanks for the offer. (After Xmas though).

I know if you have a PC version that you can download new kits etc. Is there any way you can connect a PS2 to a PC and download files for this?

You can use an Xport file (you'd need an xport from amazon) and they have a file on that site I gave the link for that corrects players names, adds in missing polayers, corrects transfers etc.

If you want to up date the kits with sposors etc it would involve patching the game, which I keep getting told is illegal but plenty of info on how to do it and where to D/l the patches from on www.issextreme.com look in the hacking forum :)

whomenoyou
11-12-2003, 13:04
Just orderd the xport off play.com

Thanks!

smicer07
11-12-2003, 13:14
No probs, if you need any help with it, let us know.

whomenoyou
11-12-2003, 13:26
Will do. Thanks again.

imback
11-12-2003, 13:38
So you started the master league? Or you playing through the cups mate? When in ML first season make use of the youth players some of them can be trained to world class.

whomenoyou
11-12-2003, 13:44
So you started the master league? Or you playing through the cups mate? When in ML first season make use of the youth players some of them can be trained to world class.

Not yet, going to start that at the weekend. At the minute just doing training and playing friendly matches to try and get used to the controls.

What camera do you use? I think I used Wide.

imback
11-12-2003, 14:03
Not yet, going to start that at the weekend. At the minute just doing training and playing friendly matches to try and get used to the controls.

What camera do you use? I think I used Wide.

Not sure what the camera angle is called I use, I think it's the same as you, like the default one but a little further away.

Spend time in practice on freekicks, you get a few of these in a game and scoring from them is so rewarding :D

kbcs6dpm
11-12-2003, 14:12

So how long does it take to update all the players/teams manually?

imback
11-12-2003, 14:35
So how long does it take to update all the players/teams manually?

I'd do them nationally, because you know certain countires have the worng names (like Wales for example) of course you will have some team players left that aren't correct at the end, but it's not that much of a bother to me because I don't know if the left wing for Spartak has the right name or not :D

Team names don't take long and there are loads of updates for the kits (colours not sposors) on the site I posted earlie rin the editing forum, although the site is down for a server swap right now.

imback
11-12-2003, 15:27
If anyone uses the pesfan site let me know your name there and I'll say hi :)

smicer07
11-12-2003, 20:33
I'm smicer07 on it!

imback
11-12-2003, 23:21
I'm smicer07 on it!

You been there a while mate or just started using it, just think I may have seen you there before or maybe I just know your name form here :confused:

:rudo: (just had to put it in because it was the first time I had seen it:D)

whomenoyou
18-12-2003, 13:29
My XPort arrived today (YAY!), so I'm going to get the option file off pesfan.com and copy it to the PS2 tonight, then I'll be able to start my MasterLeague.

TigaSefi
18-12-2003, 13:39
My gf threatened to bin my Winning Eleven game last night cos I got in her way of decorating the Christmas tree. "Does that look ok?" "yeah yeah, fantastic" and there weren't even any decorations on it :D