PDA

View Full Version : the future is not so bright

kronas
09-12-2003, 02:45
the bma's study in to the health of the next generation of adults shows a gloomy future for youngsters

as we all know teenagers like to eat junk food drink alcohol and have sex (without protection) should we say promiscuous sex

"One fifth of youngsters aged 13 to 16 are overweight and a quarter of those aged 16 to 19 smoke at least once a week. British adolescents are drinking more than ever, and have one of the highest levels of alcohol use in Europe."

"Their sexual health is also suffering, with as many as one in 10 girls aged 16 to 19 infected with chlamydia, a sexually-transmitted disease which can make sufferers infertile."

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/health/story.jsp?story=471502

so what can we do to reverse this nothing really i mean ofcourse we could but who will actually change there habitual lifestyle as long as its not harming anyone its all good fine continue to eat fatening foods kill your body with smoke alcohol etc

(note the bit in the post on whch i commented on above is pure sarcasm)

Shaun
09-12-2003, 03:30
Its called "natural selection" mate.

You can try and help these poor peeps but you'll be accused of creating a "nanny state" so let them get on with it is what I say!

downquark1
09-12-2003, 07:59
Its called "natural selection" mate. Lol, sad thing is the people that probably survive are all nerds that don't go bars and binge drink -:erm: like me. Bet darwin didn't see that coming:D.

basa
09-12-2003, 08:26
Lol, sad thing is the people that probably survive are all nerds that don't go bars and binge drink -:erm: like me. Bet darwin didn't see that coming:D.

Long live the nerds !!! :smokin:

Seriously..I have some sympathy with downquarks stance in that idiots who drink, smoke to excess or have unsafe sex should perish to save them reproducing yet more of thier ilk. Which would be to the benefit of everyone else !

Unfortunately the added strain on our already overburdened health service in trying to save them from themselves precludes this as a positive way forward !!

Jon M
09-12-2003, 08:29
I've said on other forums in the past that parenting skills should be taught in school.
In relation to the topic, the cycle of bad habits passed between generations is never going to be broken otherwise.
How many chubby families have you seen in a supermarket with nothing but junk food in their trolley?. A crass generalisation, but it illustrates the point that habits are learned primarily from our parents.

In my view, as a child of what I've grown to view as good parents, and as a possible parent in the not too distant future, I know how little I've got to offer my children and hope to fill that gap to the best of my ability.
Any mandatory school time taken to train for parenthood would only have been benificial to me.

We see so many teenage pregnancies in this country, and yet we expect these children with their own children to have picked up all the required knowledge and maturity to look after these new lives with only their immeadiate family for support.

Of course, the simplest answer to a lot of the problems mentioned above is to instill moral values in our children that encourage them to (for example) save sex for marriage, and to be monogamous. But I'd be first to admit that I'm in the minority in thinking that.

Lew
09-12-2003, 10:18
Lol, sad thing is the people that probably survive are all nerds that don't go bars and binge drink -:erm: like me. Bet darwin didn't see that coming:D.

And the geek shall inherit the Earth :D

Dave Stones
09-12-2003, 10:30
And the geek shall inherit the Earth :D

and im sure we have all seen the stephen hawking ep of the simpsons where it all goes wrong... :p

Shaun
09-12-2003, 12:44
I've said on other forums in the past that parenting skills should be taught in school.

Nice Idea but it would have been a waste of my valuable learning time (if you get my drift) I think Schools need to start teaching the basics before we move on to parenting classes - First aid is one thing I'd like EVERY child taught through out their school lives.

Maybe a mandatory "parent school" week or something should be offered to parents to be when they find out that they are due! Saying that I can here the cries now "Nanny State!" "Blair's gone bonkers!"

The present government wouldn't get away with introducing stuff like that because people would rebel just for the sake of it. Look at whats happened over their asylum plans, and foundation hospitals, all good ideas IMO and address the situations that the public (well the media) have been going on about. However when they come to bring in legislation it's attacked from all sides! "The end is here, run for your lives" is what I say - I can see us becoming a two tier country, those that bother and those that don't!

Of course, the simplest answer to a lot of the problems mentioned above is to instill moral values in our children that encourage them to (for example) save sex for marriage, and to be monogamous. But I'd be first to admit that I'm in the minority in thinking that.

Thats more like it, but unfortunately it just ain't gonna happen, look at all the oiks that are on your telly day after day, there really is no hope because the people were talking about here don't seem to want to be helped!

downquark1
09-12-2003, 12:51
Nice Idea but it would have been a waste of my valuable learning time (if you get my drift) I think Schools need to start teaching the basics before we move on to parenting classes - First aid is one thing I'd like EVERY child taught through out their school lives.

Maybe a mandatory "parent school" week or something should be offered to parents to be when they find out that they are due! Saying that I can here the cries now "Nanny State!" "Blair's gone bonkers!"

The present government wouldn't get away with introducing stuff like that because people would rebel just for the sake of it. Look at whats happened over their asylum plans, and foundation hospitals, all good ideas IMO and address the situations that the public (well the media) have been going on about. However when they come to bring in legislation it's attacked from all sides! "The end is here, run for your lives" is what I say - I can see us becoming a two tier country, those that bother and those that don't!

Thats more like it, but unfortunately it just ain't gonna happen, look at all the oiks that are on your telly day after day, there really is no hope because the people were talking about here don't seem to want to be helped!
This is also an issue about freedom, some parents may not wish to impose the same ethics on their child, some parents object to kids being taught religion in schools.
I think it was Homer Simpson who said 'now he steals my right to raise a
disobedient, smart-alecky son'

Shaun
09-12-2003, 12:56
This is also an issue about freedom, some parents may not wish to impose the same ethics on their child, some parents object to kids being taught religion in schools.
I think it was Homer Simpson who said 'How dare he take away my right to raise a disobedient child"

On the flip side of the coin, does society as a whole not have rights to live with out antisocial behaviour, and oiks that drain the NHS?

kronas
10-12-2003, 19:50

no im totally against abstaining from sex i think its a natural thing and if you want to enjoy it you should take the precautions you should have been told about the precautions in school anyway or by parents

there are a number of factors to consider when laying the blame down to the parents they dont simply teach there children values or to eat drink smoke safely you also have to consider social pressures that come in to it i know of many people who have started smoking or drinking because they were offered one so its also about being responsible yourself