PDA

View Full Version : Call diversion - a warning

JohnHorb
14-07-2006, 21:38
I was somewhat surprised when dialing home whilst away on business, to find the call picked up by an adult chat line. On further investigation, I found that 'call divert when engaged' had been set up on my NTL line to divert to said premium rate chat line. As there is only myself and my wife using the line, I can only think this had been set either by someone hacking into the NTL system, or by some malicious NTL employee (or, possibly more likely, ex-employee). I'd report this to NTL and/or the police, except that I have no means of proving the diversion was not set up by ourselves. Just a heads-up in case anyone else experiences the same scam.

Jules
14-07-2006, 21:39
I would still inform NTL and see what they say

bopdude
15-07-2006, 01:14
I would still inform NTL and see what they say

Too right, they should be able to see from call logs whats gone on, surely ?

MovedGoalPosts
15-07-2006, 01:38
Definitely worth reporting, even if you can't categorically make an accusation - but why would you send to an adult line anyway.

If there is any indication this is more than a one off then by reporting ntl or whoever will have a better chance of tracing the perpetrator and/ or fault. Who knows (flying pigs time) they might even introduce some protection against it happening in the future.

JohnHorb
15-07-2006, 09:42
Called customer services, and they asked me to put it in writing. Done so. If I get any response, I'll post here.

bonzoe
01-02-2007, 18:04
Called customer services, and they asked me to put it in writing. Done so. If I get any response, I'll post here.

A long time has passed, did you get a response?

m419
11-02-2007, 20:16
Yes its important that you do report such problems even if you can't get a refund as the companies are not aware unless you report it! Furthermore, it is fairly hard to set up diverts from NTL's end. So the problem lies between your property and street cabinets.

A similar problem has occured in the Cable London franchise of Telewest shortly before the merger, someone broke in to cabinet and called adult chatlines costing thousands of pounds.

Another problem occured when someone hacked into BT's exchanges in East Anglia and made the calls to premium rate lines and every customer in that area was billed for those calls.

Another problem occured in Colne,Lancashire when a man hacked into BT's payphones and made long durational calls to asia, he was spotted by an engineer several times,the police were called and he was taken to court and was fined by £100,had to pay £79 to BT in compensation and had to pay £65 court costs plus legal fees of £200.

bonzoe
13-02-2007, 09:00
I suppose things like that are the cause of "phantom" premium rate calls.

Glad you got a response, and hope you have no further problems.

B3rti
13-02-2007, 09:33
when its as easy as connecting 2 wires together, its inevatable that this kinda thing will happen