PDA

View Full Version : Broadband install

sircumspect
13-07-2006, 13:25
I already have NTL telephone line and am having NTL broadband installed. The external wall where the Broadband is to be used is inaccessible due to a glass conservatory. Will this be a problem for the engineer, or will he be willing to route it through another way. Maybe through the loft?

I am new to this forum, so I hope this is in the right area.:)

MovedGoalPosts
13-07-2006, 13:31
:welcome: to Cable Forum :D

It is discouraged to drill holes in frames for cables to pass through, so yes getting the broadband in that way won't be possible. The installer will wish to take a simple route. Running through a loft presents it's own risks. You'll probably not know if it can be done until the installer turns up and has a look.

Only one thread is needed for any subject - your duplicate has been deleted ;)

surfer100
13-07-2006, 21:47
Depends on the installer. He does not have to do this. if he is not willing to go in the loft, then he can pass u the cable from outside and u can pass it through the loft yourself. Problems with going through the loft is if he loses his balance and damages your ceiling, etc. The company will not back him for trying to help you, but take out the cost of repairs from his wages.

Halcyon
13-07-2006, 22:56
Putting it through the loft is quite easy if you are prepared to help the engineer.
The engineer that did mine hooked it up the side of the house and then under the eves in the roof. No need to drill a hole, it just went through underneath.
Then we went into the loft and pulled it through.

sircumspect
14-07-2006, 09:51
Thanks for the advice. I will let you know how it goes. Cheers :)

sircumspect
15-07-2006, 21:35
Broadband installed now, only problem is halfway through install I get an error 800, modem sync light is flashing and does not go to ready. I have tried turning off modem for a minute or two and turning back on. Any ideas?

surfer100
16-07-2006, 11:32
probably due to low signal levels, either a network problem or installed wrong, if there is an attenuator/equalisor screwed onto the back of the modem then u could try removing it. other than that u will have to get s and repair out. if u live in manc or stockport area i will to come and have a look for u, have sent a private message asking for contacts.

Chris W
16-07-2006, 14:00
It is not a good idea to send personal information to people unless you have a way of knowing that they work for ntl.

Surfer100- Although we appreciate your help, CF are not aware that you work for ntl, if you wish for us to confirm this so that you can help people on here, please contact me via PM.