PDA

View Full Version : Giving up.....HELP!!!

sarahlouise45
12-07-2006, 23:54
I really want to give up SMOKING!!!! I started smoking 4 years ago when my mum died to prevent me from becoming an alcoholic (didn't and couldn't deal with her death very well but that's another story). I got quite bad and started smoking up to 40 a day at one point but over the last 18 months, I've really cut down and on average I am now smoking 6-8 a day. However, I really want to give up but don't want to spend money on the giving-up smoking aids as they cost far more than smoking itself, so I was wondering if any of you guys have given up smoking without the help of these aids? How did you do it? Did you use any other form of 'aid' to help you give up? Please help me and tell me your giving up smoking stories....

Cheers! :)

Enuff
12-07-2006, 23:58
I empathize with you... there's some help here.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=27155

crazycamper
13-07-2006, 00:13
if you go to your docs you will be able to get them free

sarahlouise45
13-07-2006, 00:15
if you go to your docs you will be able to get them free

How's that? I thought you had to pay for prescriptions?? :erm:

zing_deleted
13-07-2006, 00:20
I just stopped after 10 years of smoking and didnt smoke again.Been stopped 15 years :) disapline is the only way imo :) good luck

sarahlouise45
13-07-2006, 00:22
I just stopped after 10 years of smoking and didnt smoke again.Been stopped 15 years :) disapline is the only way imo :) good luck

Thanks hun, the thing is, is i've tried going hours without a ciggie but then I just give in! Seems to be the case most of the time. :(

TheDaddy
13-07-2006, 00:26

So true, I did the same you have got to want to stop, I just waited till I got a cold, probably brought on by the fags anyway and never touched them again.

homealone
13-07-2006, 00:32
if you want to stop, just stop...

- if you don't want to, keep pretending it will be good if you do, one day ..

I just stopped ;)

sarahlouise45
13-07-2006, 00:36

I just stopped ;)

Didn't you find it really hard to just stop?

zing_deleted
13-07-2006, 00:41
I had to stop drinking booze too as socially it was very hard.I was a bad tempered git for a while to but when I really truelly was ready to stop it wasnt long before it wasnt to hard.Even now I still sometimes in a stressfull dream (I have a lot lol) I dream about smoking and when I wake up for the first minute im so pee'ed off with myself until I realise I didnt smoke :)

homealone
13-07-2006, 00:43

I just stopped ;)

yes, and no

I got scared with a really bad chest infection, just before i went on holiday, a couple of years ago, the scare & the change of environment helped me to ditch an habit I had for years. I feel a lot better now, it wasn't easy, but I think the 'cold turkey' approach is best ;)

TheDaddy
13-07-2006, 00:44

Nope never missed them either, I still think about them now even a couple of years on but I can truthfully say I never craved them.

Enuff
13-07-2006, 00:50
They say it takes 15 years for your lungs to return back to normal. I noticed a few aches and pains some years after giving up.

sarahlouise45, you have to decide who is the boss, you or the fags?

danielf
13-07-2006, 00:51
<snip> disapline is the only way imo :) good luck

Right, I'm off to the pharmacy to get some of this disapline Tomorrow. Sounds like smashing stuff. Is it pills, or more of a cream like thingy? ;) :angel:

homealone
13-07-2006, 00:54
I had to stop drinking booze too as socially it was very hard.I was a bad tempered git for a while to but when I really truelly was ready to stop it wasnt long before it wasnt to hard.Even now I still sometimes in a stressfull dream (I have a lot lol) I dream about smoking and when I wake up for the first minute im so pee'ed off with myself until I realise I didnt smoke :)

same 'ole story, find which behaviour causes a 'problem', then deny it, avoid it or try and deal, sometimes dealing involves making the same mistakes, again, the point is whether you really want to confront yourself .. ;)

zing_deleted
13-07-2006, 00:54
<snip> disapline is the only way imo :) good luck

Right, I'm off to the pharmacy to get some of this disapline Tomorrow. Sounds like smashing stuff. Is it pills, or more of a cream like thingy? ;) :angel:

I dunno I spend most my life without any but when I find it (normally its kept in a little box labeled screw that (thought it was a tool kit ;)) I trip right out and become obsessed lol .

danielf
13-07-2006, 01:07
I dunno I spend most my life without any but when I find it (normally its kept in a little box labeled screw that (thought it was a tool kit ;)) I trip right out and become obsessed lol .

I need to come back to this (rep wise). But it's so true (and hilariously worded). I reallly need to start looking for some of these little boxes myself. :tu:

etccarmageddon
13-07-2006, 07:45
I really want to give up SMOKING!!!! I started smoking 4 years ago when my mum died to prevent me from becoming an alcoholic (didn't and couldn't deal with her death very well but that's another story). I got quite bad and started smoking up to 40 a day at one point but over the last 18 months, I've really cut down and on average I am now smoking 6-8 a day. However, I really want to give up but don't want to spend money on the giving-up smoking aids as they cost far more than smoking itself, so I was wondering if any of you guys have given up smoking without the help of these aids? How did you do it? Did you use any other form of 'aid' to help you give up? Please help me and tell me your giving up smoking stories....

Cheers! :)I started having loads of casual sex. I told the girls it's was a way of helping me get my mind off smoking. It worked, it got me laid. I've never smoked though, I just get wound up when other people light up and having girls giving me therapy like this helps take my mind off it. The world is full of very generous people.

Graham M
13-07-2006, 11:28
Sarah, I gave up smoking a couple of months ago after smoking for the best part of 6 or 7 years, anyway I've since tried a cigarette and they taste like crap! LoL. Anyway I was given 2 weeks supply of 4mg gum by a friend and just kept chewing that less and less (it tastes pretty awful so puts you off!)

Ramrod
13-07-2006, 11:32
yes, and no

I got scared with a really bad chest infection, just before i went on holiday, a couple of years ago, the scare & the change of environment helped me to ditch an habit I had for years. I feel a lot better now, it wasn't easy, but I think the 'cold turkey' approach is best ;)Yep, they change of environment is thought to be a brilliant way to kick off stopping smoking.....
iirc............the USA thought they would have a massive drugs problem after Vietnam when all the soldiers came home but most of them stopped their drug use once they were back in the US.....

Hugh
13-07-2006, 12:29
I need to come back to this (rep wise). But it's so true (and hilariously worded). I reallly need to start looking for some of these little boxes myself. :tu:

I used to have a little box, but when I gave up cricket, I lost it ;)

Salu
13-07-2006, 12:43
Have a look at this website, the NHS currently has a big campaign on about giving up smoking.

http://www.givingupsmoking.co.uk/

Contact your local GP as well as they will have specially trained smoking cessation counsellors there.

Ask yourself though "Do I REALLY want to give up smoking?", because if you don't then you are only kidding yourself by attending these clincs, getting nicotine patches etc etc.....