PDA

View Full Version : Sheds!

LSainsbury
12-07-2006, 11:26
Hello,

We are about to put a shed in te garden and need some advice!

Whats the best base to put it on?

Concrete? Slabs? Wooden bearers?

I know concrete / bearers will be the best option, but the GF wants to lay it direct on the ground with bearers...

Budget is quite tight!

Cheers

Lee

Graham M
12-07-2006, 11:33
Ours is sat on 6 Breezeblocks, its fine :)

jeffcrouch
12-07-2006, 11:34
hmm - mines on concrete, then bearers to level it up - is it going on grass/soil base?

if its a tight budget, then bearers would be fine to be honest

Scarlett
12-07-2006, 11:41
We're lucky because we have concrete slbs in the b/garden already.

Personlly I'd go for some dirt cheap slabs or even the Breezeblocks option. I wouldn't bother with wood because at the end of the day it will rot away.

I'd certainlky suggest getting a cheep tub of waterproffing though and putting a double coat on the base nbefore you build it.

LSainsbury
12-07-2006, 11:50
hmm - mines on concrete, then bearers to level it up - is it going on grass/soil base?

if its a tight budget, then bearers would be fine to be honest

Yes - grass / soil base...

---------- Post added at 11:50 ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 ----------

Personlly I'd go for some dirt cheap slabs or even the Breezeblocks option.

Good idea! :tu:

Stuart
12-07-2006, 11:57
http://www.readersheds.co.uk/readersheds/ :D

gaffer_gump
12-07-2006, 12:37
Mines on breezeblocks sunk in the soil with a 4" skirt of wood round the bottom to hide them.

DaggaDagga
12-07-2006, 13:14
Subscribe to your local Freecycle group at www.freecycle.org (http://www.freecycle.org). I've been a member for a couple of weeks and have seen 3 lots of paving slabs going for nothing.

Stuart
12-07-2006, 13:17
I'm lucky at home. When we moved in, the house had an Anderson shelter on a concrete base. We just removed the shelter and put the shed in it's place.

Hugh
12-07-2006, 15:30
Mines on breezeblocks sunk in the soil with a 4" skirt of wood round the bottom to hide them.

Slightly worrying that you have a photo of your shed handy.:disturbd:

gaffer_gump
12-07-2006, 16:01
Slightly worrying that you have a photo of your shed handy.:disturbd:

Lol. yeah I know... I took a load of pics when I was having a dispute with the neighbours about something and that was a cropped version of one of them.

/me hurrys off to subcribe to shedweekly. :p:

Jules
12-07-2006, 17:13

Trust you to be posh

---------- Post added at 17:13 ---------- Previous post was at 17:07 ----------

Subscribe to your local Freecycle group at www.freecycle.org (http://www.freecycle.org). I've been a member for a couple of weeks and have seen 3 lots of paving slabs going for nothing.

Good link that and a great idea, thanks :tu:

Theodoric
13-07-2006, 19:10
Quite a while ago, wasn't there a fairly lengthy thread about some CF member's high tech, state-of-the-art ÃÃâ€*’¼bershed?