PDA

View Full Version : Best sweets ever - and why!!

Mr Angry
05-07-2006, 22:19
OK, Trip down memory lane. Start listing your favourite sweets from yesteryear and reasons why.

1. Spanish Gold Tobacco.
Why? - Because I said so.

2. Sherbert filled Flying Saucers.
Why? - Like holy communion, with taste, but without the hassle of mass.

Chris W
05-07-2006, 22:21
can't remember exactly what they were called but those chocolate cigarettes

yes, ok, they were just nasty cheap chocolate wrapped in paper, but somehow it made the paper taste good :erm:

Legendary_PSR
05-07-2006, 22:24
fizzy cherry cola bottles
why? "because..."

Enuff
05-07-2006, 22:27
Spangles
white chocolate mice
bazooka chewing gum complete with joke
aztec (these were only out for a few months in the 70's)
dundee biscutes OMG huge chocolate covered shortbread (on one side) and sugar coated on the other, they came in packs of 4 or 5 if I remember??

Creative
05-07-2006, 22:30
Refreshers. When I was about 10.

Moon dust - Remember that for the brief period, again when I was about 10.

Yorkies - Solid chunks of chocolate - not for girls. Now, aged 35!

Mr Angry
05-07-2006, 22:30
Does anyone remember "Rondello" biscuits?

I almost divorced Mrs Angry because she flatly refused to believe there was a cereal called "Puffa Puffa Rice". But we got over it (with counselling).

dilli-theclaw
05-07-2006, 22:31
Black Bullets - MMMmmm nice and um minty

Enuff
05-07-2006, 22:32

Moon dust - Remember that for the brief period, again when I was about 10.

Yorkies - Solid chunks of chocolate - not for girls. Now, aged 35!

I remember space dust, it exploded on your tongue... oh and ever lasting gobstoppers!!! or am I dreaming?

Legendary_PSR
05-07-2006, 22:34

i used to eat too many and then be sick :(

Mr Angry
05-07-2006, 22:34
Did someone say "Black bullets"? Here you go!!

susie r
05-07-2006, 22:35
Fruit Salads & blackjacks.....one of each in mouth at same time.yummyyyyyyyyyyyy
Oh and rainbow sherbert

Fingy
05-07-2006, 22:43
Parma Violets - why - no idea but I like them and can still get them

Wham bars - why - because I still don't understand how they didn't pull my teeth out

10p mix ups - why - when there were still 1/2p's you got loads!

Cherry lips - why - no idea, they taste like perfume now.

Legendary_PSR
05-07-2006, 22:47
Cherry lips - why - no idea, they taste like perfume now

cheaper than drinking perfume though :)

Enuff
05-07-2006, 22:49
I forgot caramac (a light brown chocolate bar) and swizzles (small circular tablets) are these still available?

Maggy
05-07-2006, 22:54
http://www.cybercandy.co.uk/aaasmt/

click the Union Jack and check the UK retro section. :tu:

Oh and the sherbert section looks good..Blackberry hmmmmmmm.

but the best are the boilings section..winter mixture,apple and custard,sweet peanuts,aniseed balls and clove balls. :)

Legendary_PSR
05-07-2006, 22:56
i'd forgotten about sherbert cocktails, which **** up my stomach even more

i keep forgetting all these cos i don't eat many sweets anymore. my teeth are uber-sensitive

Stephen
05-07-2006, 22:57
rather than list my fav old sweets, there are way to many. just go here.

www.aquarterof.co.uk

They sell a lot of old sweets you may have thought are no longer made.

me283
05-07-2006, 23:17
Texan Bars - bite through the chocolate, and chew, real slow... they were back last year but seem so much smaller now...

Zing Bars - from way back, but I was too young to remember why!

Ovaltine chocolate - it reminds me of my college days...

Worryingly I have also developed a habit of eating a Twix with beef crisps, both in my mouth at the same time. The sweet/savoury mix is heaven!

pedantic
05-07-2006, 23:24
Curly Wurlys :D

greencreeper
05-07-2006, 23:32
Worryingly I have also developed a habit of eating a Twix with beef crisps, both in my mouth at the same time. The sweet/savoury mix is heaven!
Do you know when it's due? :p:

White chocolate mice - fond memories. I also used to love those soft sugary strawberries. Just a flat shape but made of something other than jelly - not the cherry lips stuff.

yesman
05-07-2006, 23:35
Apple Tarts & Pear Drops.........and they were tart as well, used to make the roof of my mouth sore sometimes

Oh and Rhubarb & Custards & Pineapple Chunks

Just found a few more here (http://www.bagofsweets.com/boiledsweets.php), especially the top two

me283
05-07-2006, 23:39
Do you know when it's due? :p:

White chocolate mice - fond memories. I also used to love those soft sugary strawberries. Just a flat shape but made of something other than jelly - not the cherry lips stuff.

No... I don't even know if it's just the one! Sounds like a strange mix, but I recommend anyone to try it...

cuggle
05-07-2006, 23:42
sherbert fountains, spangles, and my fav toffos cause they were different flavours and very very chewy

Nanook
06-07-2006, 01:36
Lion Midget Gems and Sport Mixture were my all time favs, untill they were bought out by Maynards or whatever happened, then the liquorice flavour ones changed to blackcurrant. Unforgivable!:rant:

Oh yeah, Floral Gums... tasted of errrr... flowers I guess

Nidge
06-07-2006, 04:52
Toffos were my favorites.

Skatoony
06-07-2006, 15:49
Bom boms - haven't had those in a looong time :D

Stephen
06-07-2006, 15:54
Bom boms - haven't had those in a looong time :DIsn't it Bon Bons ?

Anyway I used to love Lemon ones. I did buy some Asda own brand ones recently and they weren't very nice.

Sherbet Dib dabs were also fantastic.

punky
06-07-2006, 15:57
Don't know if I am old enough to post here. Most sweets I remember eating as a kid are still around, excepting of course as someone mentioned Refreshers... The ONLY way i'd have some intake of banana into my body.

Still, I used to/still love:

1. Cola Cubes
2. Strawberries and cream

Not impossible to get nowadays, but penny-sweet sellers are pretty thin on the ground these days...

Oh yeah, and as Electrolyte reminded me Bon-Bons, and Murray Mints. Also... There were citrus-flavoured packs of polos I haven't seen on sale for a few years.

Edit: And why? Cuz they tased good? :shrug:

Stephen
06-07-2006, 16:17
Don't know if I am old enough to post here. Most sweets I remember eating as a kid are still around, excepting of course as someone mentioned Refreshers... The ONLY way i'd have some intake of banana into my body.

Still, I used to/still love:

1. Cola Cubes
2. Strawberries and cream

Not impossible to get nowadays, but penny-sweet sellers are pretty thin on the ground these days...

Oh yeah, and as Electrolyte reminded me Bon-Bons, and Murray Mints. Also... There were citrus-flavoured packs of polos I haven't seen on sale for a few years.

Edit: And why? Cuz they tased good? :shrug:If you want to find any of those hard to find penny sweets check www.aquarterof.co.uk (http://www.aquarterof.co.uk) they sell so many sweets and have a lot I thought weren't made anymore.

Skatoony
06-07-2006, 16:20
Isn't it Bon Bons ?
Can't remember, it's that long since I've had them. You're probably right though, knowing me :dozey:

orangebird
06-07-2006, 16:28
Pacers spearmint chews were yummy. And sherbert dib dabs. :tu:

SnoopZ
06-07-2006, 17:11
I forgot caramac (a light brown chocolate bar) and swizzles (small circular tablets) are these still available?

God those Caramac bars were awesome! I couldn't get enough. I've just googled it and you can still get them but they look different now.

TheBlueRaja
06-07-2006, 17:54
Wine Gums and Vampire teeth!

Although sherbert dips are awesome too.

cookie_365
06-07-2006, 18:45
Is this a retro sweets thread or a best ever sweets thread?

The best ever has to be Haribo Sour Mix :D

Gareth
06-07-2006, 19:08
Kola Kubes were/are good.

Pacers were great - like Opal Fruits but mint flavoured.

Not sherbert dips, but Swizzle's Double Dip (see here (http://www.swizzels-matlow.com/Images/product_images/double_dip_Orange.gif))

Drumstick lollies.

homealone
06-07-2006, 19:16
best ever, for me, has to be aniseed balls

but close second is Kola cubes - has to be the ones with a gooey bit in the middle, though, not hard all the way through ;)

Druchii
06-07-2006, 19:26
God those Caramac bars were awesome! I couldn't get enough. I've just googled it and you can still get them but they look different now. Still gorgeous though ;)

I love these thing stoo - http://www.aquarterof.co.uk/brown-gems-p-480.html

Still sell them in a few places, i remember buying a 5kilo tub once form Makro i think it was... Ate them within 6weeks... Lovely stuff!

Legendary_PSR
06-07-2006, 20:17
Drumstick lollies.

oh yeah, i love them too.

still eat too many of them

dilli-theclaw
06-07-2006, 20:25
Did someone say "Black bullets"? Here you go!!Trouble is whatever I do I can't get them out of my screen :( Just as well my nan sends me a load from up north every month :D

yesman
06-07-2006, 20:36
oh yeah, i love them too.

still eat too many of them

There was me thinking your teeth were uber-sensitive (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showpost.php?p=774749&postcount=16)

Legendary_PSR
06-07-2006, 20:49
that's why i said "too many" :)

budwieser
08-07-2006, 16:05
http://www.cybercandy.co.uk/aaasmt/

click the Union Jack and check the UK retro section. :tu:

Oh and the sherbert section looks good..Blackberry hmmmmmmm.

but the best are the boilings section..winter mixture,apple and custard,sweet peanuts,aniseed balls and clove balls. :)

What a great Link Coggy!
Takes me back to my childhood, Thanks!:tu:
Cough Candy..........MMMmmmmmmmm:D

---------- Post added at 16:05 ---------- Previous post was at 16:02 ----------

Pacers spearmint chews were yummy. And sherbert dib dabs. :tu:

These used to be called Opal Mints if i remember correctly.:D
Bloody lovely they were.:tu:

Pia
11-07-2006, 02:41
There was loads of talk about this in this thread: http://cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=47006

I like Werthers Originals, haven't had one of them for years, but i do love Snickers bars:D