PDA

View Full Version : Chips and Gravy

Chris W
05-07-2006, 21:24
As the poll says, chips and gravy together? or are they two good things that should be kept seperate....

Fingy
05-07-2006, 21:26
Together, always, yummy!

Or chips, fried rice and gravy from the chinese.

Creative
05-07-2006, 21:29
When I lived near London, I used to get strange looks when I asked chipshop people if they did gravy. I used to get it in Yorkshire, and I can get it in Portsmouth. Wierdo Londoners :)
I love chips and gravy.

Marge
05-07-2006, 21:30
Fan bloody tastic, chips and gravy with either a pudding, peas or a Hollands pie or just on its own :drool:

I'm always devastated when I venture down south and end up with a battered sausage instead :erm: :(

homealone
05-07-2006, 21:34
nooooooooo

chips are supposed to be crispy on the outside, gravy just makes them soggy & washes the salt off :(

/notices Fingy doesn't believe in the Atkins approach to nutrition :D

Chris W
05-07-2006, 21:35
I'm always devastated when I venture down south and end up with a battered sausage instead :erm: :(

*tries to resist urges to make obscene comments* :disturbd:

Millay
05-07-2006, 21:36
I like chips and tgravy, and you cant get much further south than me unless you live on the IOW..

I did howether vote ansty northern food... because im a southner and it would be wrong to vote any other way. :D

Fingy
05-07-2006, 21:37
How anyone in Belfast, or anywhere in Ireland (North or South) could do atkins I don't know. How many types of bread do we have?

Jules
05-07-2006, 21:39
Chips and gravy = yummy!

homealone
05-07-2006, 21:41
Fan bloody tastic, chips and gravy with either a pudding, peas or a Hollands pie or just on its own :drool:

have you tried a saveloy ? :angel:

Creative
05-07-2006, 21:42
nooooooooo

chips are supposed to be crispy on the outside, gravy just makes them soggy & washes the salt off :(

/notices Fingy doesn't believe in the Atkins approach to nutrition :D

That sea air has rotted your mind! ;)

I know someone who refuses to mix what he calls dry and wet foods. No baked beans etc with chips for example. He and you are missing out!

You cannot beat pie, chips and gravy, with maybe mushy peas. Its not good for you, but it tastes great!

Russ
05-07-2006, 21:45
Has to be McCain's oven chips with Oxo gravy otherwise yuk.

Jules
05-07-2006, 21:45
Nooo oxo gravy is no good unless you thicken it up Russ otherwise it is like witch wee!

Nugget
05-07-2006, 21:47
That sea air has rotted your mind! ;)

I know someone who refuses to mix what he calls dry and wet foods. No baked beans etc with chips for example. He and you are missing out!

You cannot beat pie, chips and gravy, with maybe mushy peas. Its not good for you, but it tastes great!

You chuffin' can beat it, preferably with a stick so you don't have to eat it!

I'm with my wee chum here - I'm only an adopted Northerner, but the entire concept of gravy on chips is just plain wrong :shocked:

Russ
05-07-2006, 21:49
Nooo oxo gravy is no good unless you thicken it up Russ otherwise it is like witch wee!

I thicken it with Bisto ;)

Legendary_PSR
05-07-2006, 21:50
i never used to like them together.

now i have gravy with chips a lot

pedantic
05-07-2006, 21:52

*tries to resist urges to make obscene comments* :disturbd:

have you tried a saveloy ? :angel:

OOoooooo Matron !!! oops:

I love my chips and gravy, with a couple of buttered barms too (the southerners call them rolls). :rolleyes: :D

Jules
05-07-2006, 21:54
And Yorkshire folk call them cakes ;)

MadGamer
05-07-2006, 21:54
Chips & Gravy = Nasty

Creative
05-07-2006, 21:57
You chuffin' can beat it, preferably with a stick so you don't have to eat it!

I'm with my wee chum here - I'm only an adopted Northerner, but the entire concept of gravy on chips is just plain wrong :shocked:

Theres no such thing as an adopted Northerner. Theres Northerners down South (me). Theres Southerners up North (you). But never the twain etc ;)

Its a combination of flavours, the sum being better than the two halfs.
Come on, you are reminding me of that no mark from wrong side o big hills.
Garlic Bread?

:p:

pedantic
05-07-2006, 21:57
And Yorkshire folk call them cakes ;)

cakes or Barmcakes ? ;)

Russ
05-07-2006, 21:58
Theres no such thing as an adopted Northerner. Theres Northerners down South (me). Theres Southerners up North (you). But never the twain etc ;)

Garlic Bread?

Yesssss!! We haven't had a good old "Nancy northern versus southern softie" pagga in ages!

This needs a thread of it's own :D

Creative
05-07-2006, 21:59
cakes or Barmcakes ? ;)
Or Bread cakes.

Graham M
cakes or Barmcakes ? ;)

I went up to Nottingham a year or so back and someone offered me a barm... I thought he was a Terrorist with a strong northern accent :erm::D

Fingy
See what you have started Chris... you should just accept that chips and gravy is yummy and very normal. :p: ;)

punky
I'm with Gaz, gravy on your chips makes them soggy. The gravy is normally naff anyway.

Gravy is not normally that nice when its not combined with beef anyways...

Creative
05-07-2006, 22:01
Yesssss!! We haven't had a good old "Nancy northern versus southern softie" pagga in ages!

This needs a thread of it's own :D

So, picking up from another concurrent thread. Should an option be added regarding chips and Pot Noodle?

Welsh Food?

:angel:

Nugget
05-07-2006, 22:02

Garlic Bread?

Slight problem - I'm from the Midlands, so I'm not a Southener or a Northerner :disturbd:

And as for Garlic Bread? Just pizza without the cheese :D

pedantic
05-07-2006, 22:02
The southerners have a nasty dish called...............pie,mash and liquor (forgive the spelling if it's wrong lol) a green substance made from parsley I think, and they drown it in vinegar. :sick:

Enuff
05-07-2006, 22:05
Chips & gravy (or curry) any day! Something to dip ya'barm into :) I cant imagine dry chips, thats like a traditional Sunday lunch without the gravy... bin it!

punky
The southerners have a nasty dish called...............pie,mash and liquor (forgive the spelling if it's wrong lol) a green substance made from parsley I think, and they drown it in vinegar. :sick:

Pffft... you tried jellied eels? I ain't that bloody cockney! :sick:

Creative
Slight problem - I'm from the Midlands, so I'm not a Southener or a Northerner :disturbd:

And as for Garlic Bread? Just pizza without the cheese :D

No mans land!
No wonder you moved. ;)

I can feel the red reps coming in!

Jules
05-07-2006, 22:06
cakes or Barmcakes ? ;)

Bread cakes :p:

homealone
05-07-2006, 22:08

http://www.hub-uk.com/foodpages36/1797.htm

I once went into an 'eel & pie' shop, i can honestly say that pie & liquor was one of the worst experiences of my life :sick:

Nugget
05-07-2006, 22:09

I once went into an 'eel & pie' shop, i can honestly say that pie & liquor was one of the worst experiences of my life :sick:

You can tell it was bad - it was apparently worse than working with me ;) :D

homealone
05-07-2006, 22:09
cakes or Barmcakes ? ;)

or stotties ;)

punky
05-07-2006, 22:11

There's always one that has to be bloody difficult isn't there... ;)

I do feel sorry for you... Its all Bovril and Marmite round your old way isn't it? ;)

Nugget
05-07-2006, 22:15
There's always one that has to be bloody difficult isn't there... ;)

I do feel sorry for you... Its all Bovril and Marmite round your old way isn't it? ;)

Difficult? Me? How dare you sir :p:

Moi myte Marmoite? Lovely stuff :D Can't stand Bovrrrrrrrrrrrrrril though - tastes like last nights pants :sick:

Actually, last time I was at the family Nugs, we had curry followed by coal, and chuffin' bostin' it was too :D

homealone
05-07-2006, 22:16

You can tell it was bad - it was apparently worse than working with me ;) :D

correct :erm:

but to get back to the point, chips, in my opinion, should be crispy, smothering them in anything watery, like gravy, is bad.

- good job the poll isn't about whether you have rice or chips, with curry, or it could really kick off ;) :D

Graham M
05-07-2006, 22:17

Never heard of it?

Nugget
05-07-2006, 22:18
Never heard of it?

You're probably too far west for that, me old mucker - more of a cockney thing :)

punky
05-07-2006, 22:18
Moi myte Marmoite? Lovely stuff :D Can't stand Bovrrrrrrrrrrrrrril though - tastes like last nights pants :sick:

You eat last night's pants in the West Midlands too? :erm:

Thank Gawd I only lived in Coventry 3 years then ;)

Nugget
05-07-2006, 22:19
You eat last nights pants in the West Midlands too :erm:

Thank Gawd I only lived in Coventry 3 years then ;)

I saw that beard you tried to grow while you were there - looked like a bottom eating a hedgehog, so you can't talk :PP:

homealone
05-07-2006, 22:31

Never heard of it?

a scotch pie is much nicer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotch_pie

- and goes well with gravy & chips - (chips kept well away from the gravy, of course ;) )

ben1390
05-07-2006, 22:43
Chips and gravy should be seperate but chips and tomato ketchup are nice

Nugget
05-07-2006, 22:44
Chips and gravy should be seperate but chips and tomato ketchup are nice

Ketchup!!?? :sick:

Gotta be brown sauce, my friend :)

Druchii
05-07-2006, 22:48
Chips + Salt + Vinegar + Gravy = Excellent :D

Even without salt + vinegar it's simply perfection. All you weirdos who like the chips "crispy" need to be shot ;) Or better yet, force fed gravy & chips until you like it :) (shouldn't be too long...)

Marge
05-07-2006, 22:48
Well, that's my tea tomorrow night sorted out, chips and gravy with just salt and a buttered muffin :drool:

Mr Angry
05-07-2006, 22:50
How anyone in Belfast, or anywhere in Ireland (North or South) could do atkins I don't know. How many types of bread do we have?

604 at last count.

The famous "Chips and gravy" haute cuisine meal was invented by Finn McCool as they were the only things the chip van had to offer right after he built the Giants causeway.

It quickly overtook Irish stew (invented by Val Doonican) as the staple diet of Irelanders, north and south.

Nugget
05-07-2006, 22:51
604 at last count.

The famous "Chips and gravy" haute cuisine meal was invented by Finn McCool as they were the only things the chip van had to offer right after he built the Giants causeway.

It quickly overtook Irish stew (invented by Val Doonican) as the staple diet of Irelanders, north and south.

Is that why McCool never finished it then?

zing_deleted
05-07-2006, 22:51
I hate you all :D

Nugget
05-07-2006, 22:53
I hate you all :D

So what? We've all hated you for ages :PP:

zing_deleted
05-07-2006, 22:54
why do you think ive stayed so long ;)

ben1390
05-07-2006, 22:55
Ketchup!!?? :sick:

Gotta be brown sauce, my friend :)
Brown Sauce :sick:

Mr Angry
05-07-2006, 22:56
Is that why McCool never finished it then?

Apparently so. The legend goes that he got food poisoning and that Lough Neagh was actually formed from a pool of his boke*.

*boke = pavement pizza.

Nugget
05-07-2006, 22:56
why do you think ive stayed so long ;)

Cos you're sick of people throwing bricks at you when you leave the house?

:D

zing_deleted
05-07-2006, 22:59
nah how do you think I built my house ;)

Marge
05-07-2006, 23:00
Him indoors hates the chippies oop north, most if not all are Chinese with hardly any "English" ones so it ends up with us going to the Kebab or Indian instead (or me cooking which is always a risky business :erm: )

Creative
05-07-2006, 23:00
Cos you're sick of people throwing bricks at you when you leave the house?

Thats what will happen when you spend too much time in no mans land (Midlands)!

Fingy
05-07-2006, 23:01
Okay so now I want both, chips & gravy with lots of salt and vinegar... and mums irish stew.

Nugget
05-07-2006, 23:03
Thats what will happen when you spend too much time in no mans land (Midlands)!

Why do you think I left :)

Well, that and the fact that I wanted to find out about this weird Northern food :D

Creative
05-07-2006, 23:03
Him indoors hates the chippies oop north, most if not all are Chinese with hardly any "English" ones so it ends up with us going to the Kebab or Indian instead (or me cooking which is always a risky business :erm: )
The best chippy I know is Greek!
Admittedly tho they do Doner Kebabs (as a sideline, the main shop is a chippy).

Mr Angry
05-07-2006, 23:05
Okay so now I want both, chips & gravy with lots of salt and vinegar... and mums irish stew.

Get on the phone to "James's Kitchen" now - but remember to book a cab to the City for about 11:30.

Fingy
05-07-2006, 23:07
Think I'll stick to Fuscos, or the local chinese.... well one of the 8 chinese we have locally... is there any need?

Mr Angry
05-07-2006, 23:11
Think I'll stick to Fuscos, or the local chinese.... well one of the 8 chinese we have locally... is there any need?

Ahhhh...the F word, Fuscos.

homealone
05-07-2006, 23:11
ok

fish & chips virtually as 'round here'

fish = haddock fillet

batter = usually a tempura style 'puffy' batter, but ideally no gungey layer, inside.

Chips - made from high starch straight cut 'old' potatoes like Maris Piper, crispy on the outside, soft in the middle.

Fat - yes, beef dripping is still used for frying in a lot in chippies round here

What more do you need, other than salt & maybe vinegar ?

Nugget
05-07-2006, 23:13
ok

fish = haddock fillet

batter = usually a tempura style 'puffy' batter, but ideally no gungey layer, inside.

Chips - made from high starch straight cut 'old' potatoes like Maris Piper, crispy on the outside, soft in the middle.

Fat - yes, beef dripping is still used a lot in chippies round here

Preferably from Leons, Marklews or whatever that one by the Dolphin is called :)

handyman
05-07-2006, 23:14
mmmmm chips and gravey from the chinese = much goodness (they do a luverly chinese gravy at the chinese opposite arriva garage in Redcar)

Chips and gravy from a chippy is also very good.
Must have vinegar on..

Enuff
05-07-2006, 23:14
Where have all the english chipy's gone? our local "jacks chippy" was famous all over salford! the kabab shop chips are crap, chinese are ok'ish but IMO you cant beat chips & gravy from a traditional english fish & chip shop.

Nugget
05-07-2006, 23:15
mmmmm chips and gravey from the chinese = much goodness (they do a luverly chinese gravy at the chinese opposite arriva garage in Redcar)

Chips and gravy from a chippy is also very good.
Must have vinegar on..

See, that's half my problem with chips and gravy - it's just wrong to mix gravy with vinegar :sick:

Maggy
06-07-2006, 00:03
Well considering chips are now deemed to be bad for you and they are now only cooked in sodding unsaturated oil I reckon anything that drowns them and improves the flavour can be considered.:mad:

The best chips I ate this year were in a pub in Blackwood in Wales..they were cooked in lard.Yum..:)

pedantic
06-07-2006, 00:13
Pffft... you tried jellied eels? I ain't that bloody cockney! :sick:

Jellied eels :shocked: I aint that brave :D

Bad enough with that green stuff :disturbd:

---------- Post added at 23:13 ---------- Previous post was at 23:12 ----------

That's the stuff. :sick:

homealone
06-07-2006, 00:15
ok

fish = haddock fillet

Fat - yes, beef dripping is still used a lot in chippies round here

Preferably from Leons, Marklews or whatever that one by the Dolphin is called :)

The Leons at the bottom of Lord Street, apparently isn't so bad, I was close, down Richard St, earlier ;)

pedantic
06-07-2006, 00:16

You yorkshire people would be awkward. :PP: :angel:

yesman
06-07-2006, 00:21

Was it all green like the liquor on here (http://www.eelhouse.co.uk/) gaz ?
The wedding menu on that site is a must for anyone thinking of tying the knot. ;)

pedantic
06-07-2006, 00:22
Chips & gravy (or curry) any day! Something to dip ya'barm into :) I cant imagine dry chips, thats like a traditional Sunday lunch without the gravy... bin it!

Have to agree with that, chips without gravy, or even curry sauce just isn't the same. At the very least, you should drown the buggers in vinegar. oops:

punky
06-07-2006, 00:49
ofish & chips virtually as 'round here'

fish = haddock fillet

One thing about where you live.. The fish must be pretty nice...

danielf
06-07-2006, 00:53
nooooooooo

chips are supposed to be crispy on the outside

Quick: Someone tell the Brits please! British chips are soggy. With or without gravy/vinegar :(

Dear Brits: Chips should be cooked twice. Once at 160C, and then at 180C, to get a nice crispy chip that does not drip with oil. Oh, and don't leave them under hot lights for an hour. Cook them to order/no more than 5 mins in advance please.

nffc
06-07-2006, 01:00
Yummy, so long as the chips aren't those fat canteen type ones that have been under hotplate for gosh knows how long and are lukewarm already, and go soggy. We have a fryer at home and the chips from that are lush with gravy.

I have noticed based on the posts in here, it tends to be the Northern ones who like it, and the Southern ones who don't... hmm.

---------- Post added at 00:00 ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 23:59 ----------

Chips and Cheese, yummy.

danielf
06-07-2006, 01:10
I have noticed based on the posts in here, it tends to be the Northern ones who like it, and the Southern ones who don't... hmm.

Really? I thought the poll option was a bit of a giveaway:

Nasty northern food

Chips and Cheese, yummy.

:shocked:

Chips and Mayonaise for me :)

Stephen
06-07-2006, 07:49
I love chips and gravy. The chinese round here does the best gravy :)

Halcyon
06-07-2006, 11:08
I think I'd prefer ketchup or vinegar on chips.
Save the gravy for some roast potatoes.

Skatoony
06-07-2006, 11:31
I knew I shouldn't have read this thread. Now I'm even more hungry :disturbd:

ian@huth
06-07-2006, 11:33
ok

fish = haddock fillet

Fat - yes, beef dripping is still used for frying in a lot in chippies round here

That's what I like about Yorkshire fish shops, haddock which has been skinned and boned in a crisp batter fried in beef dripping. I love gravy with chips when on their own or with a pie but never with fish and chips. The gravy must be just right though, just like my wife and mother makes.

Fish cakes should be of the Yorkshire type as well, two slices of potato with a layer of haddock sandwiched between fried in a crispy batter in beef dripping. Can't stand the mushy mashed poato and minced fish ones wrapped in breadcrumbs that other parts of the country pass on as fishcakes.

gazzae
06-07-2006, 11:37
In Canada they have poutine, which is chips, gravy and chesse curds. It tastes quite nice.

Stuart
06-07-2006, 11:41
In America, they have "Biscuits" and gravy. However, a "Biscuit" is a rather bland tasting scone, and goes surprisingly well with the gravy.

orangebird
06-07-2006, 11:42
Chips and gravy is OK, as long as the gravy is in a seperate jug, so you can dip your chips.

PS Pie and mash is bloody gorgeous - go to Arments on East Lane off Walworth Road, SE5. :drool:. So are jellied eels, and whelks, and cockles.

homealone
06-07-2006, 11:43
ofish & chips virtually as 'round here'

fish = haddock fillet

One thing about where you live.. The fish must be pretty nice...

It is quite variable, if the truth be told. It definitely pays to stick with chippies that know their stuff & deal with the best suppliers.

Grimsby still has an active fish market, but nowadays most fish sold there is delivered by lorry, rather than landed directly, so the time between the fish being caught & eventually being sold can vary quite a lot.

The best fish available, here, is either organically farmed, or fresh caught and delivered via air freight - but this tends to be the strategy for manufacturers, such as the one I work for, rather than the chippies, who still tend to buy daily from the market, or via an agent.

In my opinion the best fish available from chippies is in places like Whitby, where the fish is landed daily by local fishermen & is as fresh as can be :drool:

Stuart
06-07-2006, 11:45
I personally like Goddard's Pie and Mash in Greenwich. Been going there, well, since my dad took me as a small boy. I don't like eels, whelks, cockles or liquor, but they do a lovely Shepherd's pie and mash..

http://www.pieshop.co.uk/what-we-offer.htm

homealone
06-07-2006, 11:50
<snip>
Fish cakes should be of the Yorkshire type as well, two slices of potato with a layer of haddock sandwiched between fried in a crispy batter in beef dripping. Can't stand the mushy mashed poato and minced fish ones wrapped in breadcrumbs that other parts of the country pass on as fishcakes.

agreed - round here they tend to be called 'scallops' :)

---------- Post added at 10:50 ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 ----------

PS Pie and mash is bloody gorgeous - go to Arments on East Lane off Walworth Road, SE5. :drool:. So are jellied eels, and whelks, and cockles.

too close to Labour headquarters, for me ;)

- I must have tried a poor shop, as the liquor was bordering on rancid, the pie had soggy pastry & the blandest filling imaginable, while the mash was watery & full of lumps....

- Cockles & Winkles, for me, Whelks are just chewy ;)

orangebird
06-07-2006, 12:04

---------- Post added at 10:50 ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 ----------

too close to Labour headquarters, for me ;)

Haven't a clue, it's just near my nannys house. You used to have to queue for about an hour just to get in the door.

- I must have tried a poor shop, as the liquor was bordering on rancid, the pie had soggy pastry & the blandest filling imaginable, while the mash was watery & full of lumps....

I have to say, I like the pastry soggy, and the mash is supposed to have lumps in it. Maybe p&m just isn't for you.... :erm: And the vinegar has to have small dried chillie peppers in it too.

- Cockles & Winkles, for me, Whelks are just chewy ;)

Lovely, with white pepper and vinegar on them. :tu:

ian@huth
06-07-2006, 12:23
<snip>

Scallops are just a single slice of potato, battered and deep fried in the fish shops I know.

orangebird
06-07-2006, 12:25
Scallops are just a single slice of potato, battered and deep fried in the fish shops I know.
Same here :confused:

homealone
06-07-2006, 12:36
Haven't a clue, it's just near my nannys house. You used to have to queue for about an hour just to get in the door.

I just found I am wrong, Labour Headquarters is no longer in Walworth Road :dunce: (it was when I attended South Bank Poly, but that is a few years ago, now)

I have to say, I like the pastry soggy, and the mash is supposed to have lumps in it. Maybe p&m just isn't for you.... :erm: And the vinegar has to have small dried chillie peppers in it too.

I think you're right, not for me, although the vinegar sounds nice :)

Lovely, with white pepper and vinegar on them. :tu:

Leigh on Sea on a Sunday morning for lovely shellfish :tu:

---------- Post added at 11:36 ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 ----------

Same here :confused:

oops, looks like I'm wrong again :dozey:

Jules
06-07-2006, 12:44
Once = fish and chips, twice = 2 lots of fish and chips, 3 times is yes you guessed it 3 lots of fish and chips lol

Fish cake is two slices of potato with a piece of fish in the middle and dipped in batter before frying

Scraps = the bits of batter that fall off the fish as it is frying

Good old Yorkshire :D

pedantic
06-07-2006, 12:54
Scraps = the bits of batter that fall off the fish as it is frying

We used to call them scratchings, when I was a mere sprog. :D

Chips, scatchings and gravy for dinner, when I was at school. With lashings of salt and vinegar.

A hearty meal indeed. :D

Stephen
06-07-2006, 15:46

They are known as Fritters up here in Glasgow. I always thought a scallop was something do to with fish?

orangebird
06-07-2006, 15:56
They are known as Fritters up here in Glasgow. I always thought a scallop was something do to with fish?

You're right, a scallop is a shell fish. A scollop is the potato slice thing...

Maggy
10-07-2006, 13:55
Can I come and stay with you Homey? I adore fish but no one cooks it well round here and it's not worth doing my own 'cos I'm the only fishlover in this house.:(

Pia
10-07-2006, 14:28
I was quite suprised at this thread when i saw the poll question, cos i thought chips and gravy was an obvious combination?!

Not keen on frozen oven chips in gravy, but fried with gravy is just delish, and has to have loads of black pepper on:drool:

Vinegar is a bit wrong though with gravy, ruins it totally i think!

---------- Post added at 13:28 ---------- Previous post was at 13:27 ----------

A lot of epople i know have chips and gravy with a dollop of ketchup on the side, not my cuppa tea either:D

Maggy
10-07-2006, 14:47
I was quite suprised at this thread when i saw the poll question, cos i thought chips and gravy was an obvious combination?!

Not keen on frozen oven chips in gravy, but fried with gravy is just delish, and has to have loads of black pepper on:drool:

Mint Sauce and gravy..yummy...

Skatoony
10-07-2006, 14:55
One thing I have noticed with our chips and a combination of sauce/seasoning is other Europeans find it horrible. Chips with salt & vinegar as an example, they think it totally ruins it (they prefer chips with mayonaise, which I think is horrible :disturbd: ). I have no idea what they would think about chips and gravy though :erm:

pedantic
10-07-2006, 15:15

You're joking ! :eeek:

I can't imagine gravy without a damn good lashing of vinegar. :D

MadGamer
10-07-2006, 16:05
Its like having cheese on toast without Lea & Perrins :)

danielf
10-07-2006, 16:21
One thing I have noticed with our chips and a combination of sauce/seasoning is other Europeans find it horrible. Chips with salt & vinegar as an example, they think it totally ruins it (they prefer chips with mayonaise, which I think is horrible :disturbd: ). I have no idea what they would think about chips and gravy though :erm:

Chips and Mayo is a Dutch/Belgian thing (as is chips with Mayo, Satay/peanut sauce and onions :) ).

Personally, I don't mind salt & vinegar (or even brown sauce), but I don't like British chips as they are too soggy from 1. not cooking them properly, 2. keeping them on a hotplate. Personally, I think the chips from McDonalds/Burger King etc. are much better than chips from the average chip shop.

Maggy
10-07-2006, 16:49
Chips and Mayo is a Dutch/Belgian thing (as is chips with Mayo, Satay/peanut sauce and onions :) ).

Personally, I don't mind salt & vinegar (or even brown sauce), but I don't like British chips as they are too soggy from 1. not cooking them properly, 2. keeping them on a hotplate. Personally, I think the chips from McDonalds/Burger King etc. are much better than chips from the average chip shop.

but they are not chips...they are french fries and completely different.:erm:

danielf
10-07-2006, 16:57
but they are not chips...they are french fries and completely different.:erm:

They are indeed, thank God :)

Paul
10-07-2006, 17:54
Chips & Gravy ?

Yuk, who likes soggy chips .....

pedantic
10-07-2006, 17:59
Chips & Gravy ?

Yuk, who likes soggy chips .....

I do ! :D

Skatoony
10-07-2006, 18:00
I'll admit I do prefer my chips crispy, but having the same thing over again does get pretty boring ;)

Hugh
10-07-2006, 20:38
I like chips and gravy, and you can't get much further south than me unless you live on the IOW..

I did however vote nasty northern food... because i'm a southerner and it would be wrong to vote any other way. :D

At least we don't drink "lager tops" oop north - or as we call it - "shandy" :rolleyes:

AndrewJ
10-07-2006, 20:45
As the poll says, chips and gravy together? or are they two good things that should be kept seperate....

Together with a nice meat and spud pie, :D

Pia
11-07-2006, 00:10
At least we don't drink "lager tops" oop north - or as we call it - "shandy" :rolleyes:
I get asked for them a fair bit when i'm working on the bar in the hotel, and have always done them with just a little bit of lemonade at the top, but i do shandy about half and half.
Some bloke kicked off once though saying a lager top was lager with a lime top:confused: Never been how i've done it. And yeah, thy mostly are southerners who ask for them, strange innit!

Chris W
11-07-2006, 02:06

They are different...

A Top has just a dash on lemonade on the top (hence the name)

Shandy is half Lager, half lemonade.

I'm a southerner, but i don't drink either- give me a nice pint of John Smiths any day :)

AndrewJ
11-07-2006, 02:55
Lager...ewww...give me a good pint of Guiness anyday of the week :D

Shame it's hard to find a decent pint these days.

sarahlouise45
11-07-2006, 03:00

Hmmmmm.....Guiness.....:beer:

AndrewJ
11-07-2006, 03:00
A pub called The Pheseant (spelling?) in Dalbeattie Scotland, does an amazing Guiness.

greencreeper
11-07-2006, 09:50
Gorgeous. One of my favourite school meals as a kid. There used to be a lovely chip shop at the bottom of Kirkgate in Wakefield - opposite Wilko - that did chips and gravy with battered sausage. I went in a while back and found it was a chinese :( Suppose it's progress :rolleyes:

I do love very crisp potato wedges dipped in sour cream n chive - yummy

Stuart
11-07-2006, 10:17

Hmmmmm.....Guiness.....:beer:

A friend of mine once tread a Nigerian Guinness... Apparently the seller had 30 million pints he needed to get out of the country, and needed someone to store those pints temporarily (for a 10 % fee of course).

Actually, on a serious note, he did try a Nigerian Guinness. We were at a wedding, on our way to the reception and the coach hadn't turned up* , so he popped into the nearest offy and bought himself a Guinness. Didn't offer anyone else one... :( He said it was noticably stronger than the English, or even Irish (which, at that time, was stronger than the English) Guinness.

*The wedding was in Woolwich (South East London) and the reception was in a hotel near Gatwick, so the bride and groom laid on a coach for anyone who didn't have transport

Hugh
11-07-2006, 21:06
They are different...

A Top has just a dash on lemonade on the top (hence the name)

Shandy is half Lager, half lemonade.

I'm a southerner, but i don't drink either- give me a nice pint of John Smiths any day :)

erm :erm: - I knew that, I was just extracting a morsel of micturation

ps - ask any Yorkshireman about John Smith's, and they will not be too complimentary - even if it does come from Tadcaster.