PDA

View Full Version : sending money to a friend.

pedantic
05-07-2006, 12:20
What's the best (and cheapest) way to send a friend some money through the post ? I need to send my godchildren some money for their birthdays. I don't have a cheque book, I could "wire" it from my account to hers, but with the money banks are charging these days, it could be a bit expensive. She does not bank with the same people as I do.

I've looked at postal orders, but they seem quite expensive, I'm sure there must be a cheaper alternative. I begrudge paying excessive charges to anyone. oops:

Any idea's ? Thanks.

TheBlueRaja
05-07-2006, 12:23
Cant you get your bank to write you a cheque?

Edit: Nice sig by the way :D

MovedGoalPosts
05-07-2006, 12:24
If you have online banking, it shouldn't cost you to make an electronic transfer of funds from your account to another, even if that is with a different bank. It does take 2-3 days, to get to the other account and it's while the money is in limbo between accounts that allows the banks to cover their costs.

zing_deleted
05-07-2006, 12:29
just go into her banks local branch and pay it in simple as free and goes in straight away.All you need is her sort code and account number

pedantic
05-07-2006, 12:35
If you have online banking, it shouldn't cost you to make an electronic transfer of funds from your account to another, even if that is with a different bank. It does take 2-3 days, to get to the other account and it's while the money is in limbo between accounts that allows the banks to cover their costs.

Ah thanks for that Rob

I do indeed have an online account, but was under the impression they charged to move it to a different bank. The time isn't a problem, as it would have taken me longer to send it by snail mail.

Thanks muchly.

Cant you get your bank to write you a cheque?

Will take the advice of the electronic transfer, thanks though.

Nice sig by the way :D

You inspired me. ;)

just go into her banks local branch and pay it in simple as free and goes in straight away.All you need is her sort code and account number

Thanks for the suggestion, will try the online suggestion by Rob, but if I do encounter a problem, will use your's ;)

Thanks for the input guys.

zing_deleted
05-07-2006, 12:38
it takes 3 or 4 working days for money to transfer using online accounts.If you pay into your local branch of her bank its there immediately

Shaun
05-07-2006, 12:47
it takes 3 or 4 working days for money to transfer using online accounts.If you pay into your local branch of her bank its there immediately

HSBC make a charge to non-customers that pay cash in over the counter :erm: :(

Steve H
05-07-2006, 12:50
Don't see how they can, if you just pretend your the person paying in! I've often had my mates run in for me with a paying in slip filled out and the cash, hand it over and no fuss :confused:

zing_deleted
05-07-2006, 12:50
LLoyds and Nat west dont

altis
05-07-2006, 13:33
You could send cash by Special Delivery. Gets there next day before 1pm and is insured up to £250 - or just take the risk, disguise it and send it first class.

http://www.royalmail.com/