PDA

View Full Version : New Name? Virgin Home

macca101
02-07-2006, 11:11
Hey folks,

A Newbie here and the first topic that I have posted so sorry if it has been placed before. Couldn't find one on this.

Since Virgin Mobile becomes part of NTL on Tuesday anybody got any ideas of what the most likely new name for the company is going to be.

Been told that it should be Virgin Home. Heard a few more but his is said to be the most likely. Any of you guys know any more.

Cheers folks

zing_deleted
02-07-2006, 11:24
:welcome: how about National Telecomunications limited or NTL for sure (ill get my coat) :D

Timeless Stew
02-07-2006, 11:32
Virgin on Demand :D

Simply Gray
02-07-2006, 11:43
How about Many Internet Services & Telecommunications - Always Kaput External Support Limited or Mistakes Limited for short.

thelem
02-07-2006, 12:18
At one point they seemed to be heading for "Virgin Vision", but this now seems less likely. I'd bet on it being one of Virgin Home, Virgin Communications or Virgin.net

poolking
02-07-2006, 12:22
or what about $$$ Ltd :D

Bill C
02-07-2006, 12:30
This would fit best

ACFU

Another Company ****ed Up

Enuff
02-07-2006, 12:57
Virgin on Demand :DMore like Virgin on the Ridiculous. :D Or Virgin on the Take?

Bill C
02-07-2006, 13:04
I feel so sorry for Virgin. Wonder how long before the NTL effect will ruin them.

Chrysalis
02-07-2006, 15:02
if they change the name on tues it proves they dont care about customer satisfaction since I still remember them saying they wanted to sort out the problems before changing the brand.

Taf
02-07-2006, 15:43
:welcome: how about National Telecomunications limited or NTL for sure (ill get my coat) :D

National Transcommunications Limited ;)

Too hot for a coat!

Stephen
02-07-2006, 15:44
NTL will not be changing their name anytime soon. THe merger might complete on tuesday however it will be early next year at least beofre any changing of names takes place.

Same goes for Telewest both companys still provide seperate services and acting as individual companies.

I did hear that the Virgin name will not be used until NTL's Customer service has improved

macca101
02-07-2006, 16:07
NTL will not be changing their name anytime soon. THe merger might complete on tuesday however it will be early next year at least beofre any changing of names takes place.

Same goes for Telewest both companys still provide seperate services and acting as individual companies.

I did hear that the Virgin name will not be used until NTL's Customer service has improved

Yeah think that is right.

Have to get Telewest and NTL together first of all but I'm told that is all going at full speed, and really moving quicker than expected.

With NTL paying £30 million or what ever to Branson from when the takeover happens I can't see it being too long. Virgin Comms seems like a good one.

Asks another question though, anybody know what is happening with the Business side, know that has changed to NTL:Telewest, will that go to Virgin Branding too, could see that happening quicker as the Customer Service is much better.

georgepomone
02-07-2006, 19:57
Hi All,
name changes mean nothing.I'm not sure that in this case it is money well spent. It's the way the company treats customers that is important.There is no magic with the name of Virgin.Ntl could have done just the same as regards customer service etc without changing the name.
George.

Stuart
02-07-2006, 20:05
Companies often change their name if the old one has a bad reputation. Anderson Consulting were one of several Arthur Anderson companies involved in the Enron scandal. Rather than try and weather the storm, they changed their name to "accenture".

It is shallow, but people DO seem ready to give a bad company another chance if it changes it's name.

UncleBooBoo
02-07-2006, 20:19
If anything NTL stand to ruin Virgins good name!

Branson will prob live to regreat it... :(

spiderplant
02-07-2006, 20:46
Companies often change their name if the old one has a bad reputation. Anderson Consulting were one of several Arthur Anderson companies involved in the Enron scandal. Rather than try and weather the storm, they changed their name to "accenture".
Actually they changed the name before the Enron scandal, having fallen out with Arthur Andersen. Very fortuitous timing, all the same.

They're still commonly referred to as "Androids" though.

Stuart
02-07-2006, 20:59
Actually they changed the name before the Enron scandal, having fallen out with Arthur Andersen. Very fortuitous timing, all the same.

That may be true, but they didn't heavily publicise the new name until Enron had happened.

macca101
02-07-2006, 22:38
That may be true, but they didn't heavily publicise the new name until Enron had happened.

lol. don't think that we can brand NTL with the same brush as Enron, although some of Barclay Knapps deals could be said to have been extreme folly - pity that he couldn't be done for criminal stupidity.

in all fairness to NTL:Telewest it is going to be a brand new company (in terms of size and scope) so if Virgin people get involved I am sure it can only be good for the customer.

what kind of publicity stun will Branson pull tho when the name does change, maybe a rocket to the moon!!!

AndyCambs
03-07-2006, 02:54
I'm more interested to know what pricing package will be offered to users wanting telephone/television/internet and mobile phone. Currently with Orange who are increasing their prices by stealth - (latest is £1.50 per month for itemised billing unless you opt out)

ZoMBiE
06-07-2006, 23:54
how many Virgin workers are getting it :) (the sack that is)

Justy
21-07-2006, 22:08
NTL, as far as I have been told, will change their name to Virgin on or after January 07. With the buy over of Telewest and Virgin it is promised that customer satisfaction will improve!;)

johnny
22-07-2006, 09:47
in all fairness to NTL:Telewest it is going to be a brand new company (in terms of size and scope) so if Virgin people get involved I am sure it can only be good for the customer.

what kind of publicity stun will Branson pull tho when the name does change, maybe a rocket to the moon!!!

it wont b a brand new comany because all the top management wil stil be there going round in circles.

A rocket to the moon?

More like a rocket up the boards ****'s and some higher management!!

Gareth
22-07-2006, 11:03

That may be true, but they didn't heavily publicise the new name until Enron had happened.Actually, that's completely incorrect, Stu. I was working for AC/Accenture at the time and I can tell you that Andersen Consulting were legally forced to stop using the name as of 1st January 2001, as part of the separation terms enforced by the International Chamber of Commerce.

The decision from the ICC was announced in September 2000. The company then had 80 days to come up with a new brand which had to be used as of Jan 1st. The Andersen Consulting name was removed from everything - including all buildings, laptops, consultants' luggage tags, every single letter head, etc... prior to the deadline (although I've still got an old AC mug at home ;)). Things that couldn't be changed, ie software, were rebranded with a disclaimer saying that Andersen Consulting referred to the company now known as Accenture, and had nothing to do with Arthur Andersen.

The name change was 100% categorically nothing to do with Arthur Andersen. The divorce from AA started in '98 and was instigated because of a convulated scheme whereby the more successful of the 2 companies was supposed to pay the other company 15% of its profits. This arrangement, itself, dated back to 1989 when Andersen Consulting was initially split from Arthur Andersen and the parent group AWSC.

The findings of the ICC meant that Arthur Andersen got to keep the name Andersen Consulting, and I remember getting emails from people at AA which showed they were planning on renaming themselves to take advantage of owning the name AC. There are also some hilarious cartoons over at Bigtime Consulting (www.bigtimeconsulting.com) - see here (http://www.bigtimeconsulting.com/?toon_id=78), here (http://www.bigtimeconsulting.com/?toon_id=82), here (http://www.bigtimeconsulting.com/?toon_id=84) and here (http://www.bigtimeconsulting.com/?toon_id=89) (conceived and drawn by an AC employee) detailing the affair :D

In reality, the name change was always going to happen in any case. There was a competition internally to find a new name for AC (after the suggestions made by an external marketing company were all rejected) which slighlty predated the decision by the ICC. The Partners had already expressed how they thought the "Consulting" part of the name was a hindrence, as the company was already starting to do more and more outsourcing work even back then. From what I remember, it was a Senior Manager from the Norway office who came up with the name (who supposedly got the idea from the phrase "Accent on the Future")... all he got out of it was the chance to go to some golf tournament and shake hands with the CEO Joe Forehand.

The Enron affair didn't start until the autumn of 2001. I was at St Charles in Chicago with a bunch of AA employees in the summer of 2001, and it wasn't until several months after that date that things kicked off.

Just wanted to clear that up. Also Accenture's legal department are some of the smartest people you can meet, so they wouldn't take too kindly to suggesting they were in any way implicated with the Enron affair ;)

ps - it's Andersen not Anderson ;)

Bengie
22-07-2006, 16:16
NTL, as far as I have been told, will change their name to Virgin on or after January 07. With the buy over of Telewest and Virgin it is promised that customer satisfaction will improve!;)

There is a porogram on one of the music channels called "The next record will be great" - how do they know that? because the last one was crap so has to be better.

The same applies to Ryans comment that "satisfaction will improve" and how can they be so sure? because they know that so far it's been crap, so can only improve.

Stuart
22-07-2006, 19:26

You've obviously never dealt with either Virgin Atlantic, or Virgin Trains then (both companies that in my experience, lack good customer services).

NitroNutter
22-07-2006, 20:35
There is a porogram on one of the music channels called "The next record will be great" - how do they know that? because the last one was crap so has to be better. The same applies to Ryans comment that "satisfaction will improve" and how can they be so sure? because they know that so far it's been crap, so can only improve. <sarcasm mode on> "50+ million people cannot be right" :D </sarcasm mode not turned off>

Fireplace
12-08-2006, 09:39
Yeah think that is right.

Have to get Telewest and NTL together first of all but I'm told that is all going at full speed, and really moving quicker than expected.

With NTL paying £30 million or what ever to Branson from when the takeover happens I can't see it being too long. Virgin Comms seems like a good one.

Asks another question though, anybody know what is happening with the Business side, know that has changed to NTL:Telewest, will that go to Virgin Branding too, could see that happening quicker as the Customer Service is much better.

No the Business side won't be adopting the Virgin brand. Don't know what it will be, but it wont be Virgin. I think it is too Consumer orientated.

fireman328
12-08-2006, 20:59
No the Business side won't be adopting the Virgin brand. Don't know what it will be, but it wont be Virgin. I think it is too Consumer orientated.

It will pobably be "Virgin on the ridiculous" :D :D

ickle
14-08-2006, 19:52
u need to get you coat there fireman!!!! lolol

it may be something like Virgin (jnsert name here) So as already said Virgin Home etc but where would that leave the old telewest company? Virign TeleHome maybe?

i think its a case of watch this space or the BBC!! ;)

Stuart
14-08-2006, 23:10
NTL had already announced that Telewest would eventually be rebranded NTL. I don't see why Virgin would use a different name from the rest of NTL.

Okonski
17-08-2006, 09:02
Or even Andersen....?
I think you give folk too much intelligence. It's not that they're prepared to give a renamed firm a 'second chance', they just don't have the ability to remember what it was called before.....

Bring back Consignia...!