PDA

View Full Version : Registering an account without using the installer CD

hurg
05-12-2003, 23:51
Some advice please.

I've been an NTL broadband (600Kb) customer since NTL launched their bb service. When I signed up, I chose to purchase my own cable modem (which I still use) instead of hiring one from NTL.

This week, I contacted NTL to find out what I would need to do to upgrade my connection to 1Mb. It seems that because my account is so old, I'm not actually registered on one of their systems which, I'm told, is a pre-requisite for my being able to upgrade.

So, I've been sent the Broadband Installer (broadjump) CD which I've been told I must use to "register" my account. My question is, does anyone know what this registration process is and more importantly, can it be bypassed without having to run the installer on the supplied CD?

I don't want to use the installer as I see that it will attempt to install drivers for a cable modem which I do not have. Call me paranoid but I want to avoid installing anything (particularly drivers) which I have no need for.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

P.S. I'm running Windows Server 2003.

--
Hurg

homealone
06-12-2003, 00:29
Some advice please.

I've been an NTL broadband (600Kb) customer since NTL launched their bb service. When I signed up, I chose to purchase my own cable modem (which I still use) instead of hiring one from NTL.

This week, I contacted NTL to find out what I would need to do to upgrade my connection to 1Mb. It seems that because my account is so old, I'm not actually registered on one of their systems which, I'm told, is a pre-requisite for my being able to upgrade.

So, I've been sent the Broadband Installer (broadjump) CD which I've been told I must use to "register" my account. My question is, does anyone know what this registration process is and more importantly, can it be bypassed without having to run the installer on the supplied CD?

I don't want to use the installer as I see that it will attempt to install drivers for a cable modem which I do not have. Call me paranoid but I want to avoid installing anything (particularly drivers) which I have no need for.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

P.S. I'm running Windows Server 2003.

--
Hurg

first thing - if you speak to anyone from ntl about any problems - do not tell them you run that OS;) - winxp & ie6 is as about as far as they will go.

MetaWraith
06-12-2003, 01:00
I thought registering did 4 things,

1) account migration and setup.
this can be done by phone call to CS too.

2) tatoos your browser with NTL's rubbish
(you can do without this)

3) disables dialup and modifies browser settings to use lan connection
you can subsequently modify this

4) installs USB drivers if connecting by USB

Someone correct me if this is wrong. I think if you get CS to activate/migrate the account or whatever then Hurg can simply do without the CD and continue using his existing modem.

When I moved from dialup to BB, CS activated my account that way after their damned CD left my HD in an unbootable state. When I reformatted the HD i simply did not use the CD, tho I do use an NTL Modem.

Mr.Moony
06-12-2003, 01:30
first thing - if you speak to anyone from ntl about any problems - do not tell them you run that OS;) - winxp & ie6 is as about as far as they will go.

Nothing angers a tech more than someone who lies. If they work it out, they will stick a note on your account saying 'this customer is running win 2k server, and lies'

Maybe not that harsh, but you get the jist.

whats the point of this ?

Please dont lie to our technical support staff

As for MetaWraith points, yes the Cd does do some usefull things (putting ntl rubbish in the browser = incorrect - it does clear out Lan settings and sets the hp) BJ Installer 2 Also doesnt use IE to register, which makes it quite a favourite for me.

Russ
06-12-2003, 01:33
Nothing angers a tech more than someone who lies. If they work it out, they will stick a note on your account saying 'this customer is running win 2k server, and lies'

Maybe not that harsh, but you get the jist.

whats the point of this ?

Please dont lie to our technical support staff

Although it's frustrating when NTL won't support your OS, I have to agree with Moony on this one.

Sociable
06-12-2003, 03:06
Assuming you are still using the old setup OK there should be no need to reinstall anything. All that will happen on upgrading is that your current account (Which must be active as you are using it LOL) will be set to use the gold service version of the file sent to the modem when it updates the lease.

Given the system uses the mac address to identify the account and that wont change even with a reinstall of the software my money is on any attempt to re-register the same mac address giving an error in any case.

Hope this helps.

AFAIK this should be possible either via the on-line upgrade option or via phone to CS but I stand to be corrected on that.

hurg
06-12-2003, 03:09

As for MetaWraith points, yes the Cd does do some usefull things (putting ntl rubbish in the browser = incorrect - it does clear out Lan settings and sets the hp) BJ Installer 2 Also doesnt use IE to register, which makes it quite a favourite for me.

I run a number of OS's on my network, all of which talk to a router which in turn talks to the cable modem so even though my main machine run's Windows 2K3, I have other machines running XP Pro and XP Home which I can use for registration purposes.

Mr. Moony has highlighted exactly what I'm worried about i.e. having my browser and LAN settings messed with. I'm perfectly capable of messing those up myself without any additional help. So, my question still stands, can I get through the registration process without using that CD?

P.S the person I spoke to in CS didn't give the slightest hint that I could register on the phone, does this make sense to you guys?

--
H.

hoss
06-12-2003, 03:58
You can register without the disk by going to https://autoreg.autoregister.net

Thats if u had an NTL provided modem, not sure if going there with the modem u have will kill your connection/modem, so possibly best not going there (someone might be able to clarify/comment on this?)

you would need a pin number & a serial number anyway

Mark W
06-12-2003, 04:09
You can register without the disk by going to https://autoreg.autoregister.net

Thats if u had an NTL provided modem, not sure if going there with the modem u have will kill your connection/modem, so possibly best not going there (someone might be able to clarify/comment on this?)

you would need a pin number & a serial number anyway

all true - without a pin number you are not going to get very far, cs should have sent you a 'welcome letter' with it on....

as for the serial number, thats ntl-ct8-cj486

Sociable
06-12-2003, 11:58
all true - without a pin number you are not going to get very far, cs should have sent you a 'welcome letter' with it on....

as for the serial number, thats ntl-ct8-cj486

CS can issue a new pin number and other details to allow registration via the online sytem allthough I seem to recall when this is done to correct an error where an existing account is not being seen this actually sets up a dummy account which is then migrated to your old one thereby "fixing" it.

Either way it would appear you are going to have to talk to NTL on this one unless one of the NTL guys that come here can help directly.

deedee
06-12-2003, 12:44
You will need a pin, CS can create one for you then you can go to https://autoreg.autoregister.net (https://autoreg.autoregister.net/) & follow the on screen intructions.
It should not interfere with your connection at all. It was fine for me!
One thing to point out is that if you upgrade to the 1mg then you will have to pay the full £34.99, losing your £5 pm "bought modem discount".

Sociable
06-12-2003, 13:17
You will need a pin, CS can create one for you then you can go to https://autoreg.autoregister.net (https://autoreg.autoregister.net/) & follow the on screen intructions.
It should not interfere with your connection at all. It was fine for me!
One thing to point out is that if you upgrade to the 1mg then you will have to pay the full £34.99, losing your £5 pm "bought modem discount".

Sadly it is even worse than that as should you later want to go back to 600k you will have to pay the £24.99 rate as the old £19.99 deal is no longer available.

Also don't forget that the same 1 gig a day cap applies for 1 meg as 600k even if they are chosing not to enforce that right now and signing up for the 1 meg service means accepting the revised AUP rather than being able to rightly say your contract is covered by the AUP that applied when you agreed your existing contract instead.

It is for those two reasons I have decided not to upgrade untill both those issues are resolved.

Mr.Moony
06-12-2003, 13:37
Actually ive just read into this more than I did last night.
What will have to happen is the following :
1) The modem MAC will be Nuked
2) You will be given (or already have) the autoreg addy
3) You will be given (or already have) a new pin/serial
4) You will register and obtain your email address
5) You wont need to use the CD rom

Only problem, the auto-reg site will not let you register if using a proxy.

meandmagootoo
30-06-2005, 13:28
I have a friend that has Win XP - Japanese version. She ran cd and it complians that it will not work with her OS. She tried calling NTL:td: helpdesk - they repeated that line and did not help 1 iota. I tried talking her thru using the online reg site but it eventually says the same error and stops. (She is an ntl:td: dial up customer)

Anyone have any ideas how to go forward with this ?

I am sending her the 1.3 CD (as this worked for me with another Win XP Japanese ver) but suspect that probably won't work either ?

Appreciate any ideas here !
Thks

Chris
30-06-2005, 13:32
:welcome: to CF, meandmagootoo. I expect someone with some ideas about this will be along soon ...

Chris W
30-06-2005, 13:33
:welcome:

what is the error message from the registration site?

meandmagootoo
30-06-2005, 15:10
Hi,

I think it is (I was not there) the same sort of error can't install
with your OS !!
Thks

Paul K
30-06-2005, 15:12
We'll probably need the full/ exact message to be sure of what is happening ;)

meandmagootoo
30-06-2005, 15:19
Hi,

Just spoke to her again and the error message @ the auto reg site
is that her language is unsupportec - message like
The language your operation system configured to use is not supported by this program

Thks Ken

Paul K
30-06-2005, 15:26
So she is running the software to register an account against an NTL dial up account but it doesn't support her operating system because she is running a Japanese Windows system?
Is it the only PC she has access to or does she have one that runs a standard English version of Windows that she can use to create the account?

meandmagootoo
30-06-2005, 15:42
Hi,

She only has the 1 pc.
Doesn't want to have english version installed (+ would have to buy another one I guess?)
Is there a way to register it (say I brought down my laptop - winxp) then get it
working on her pc ?
Thks

Paul K
30-06-2005, 15:45
Once it's registered you should be able to just transfer the dial up details to her computer. I'm not totally sure that everything will work fawlessly but it's worth a try.

meandmagootoo
30-06-2005, 16:23
Hi,

Thks for that.
Never setup a cable modem via usb cable. Would the details
be like a dial up connection ? So I would be able to say go in
and find out which IP address it connects to etc etc ? maybe in the network connections list or somewhere !
Can't for the life of me see how it works with a usb cable !!! (have ntl at home via a small home network and ethernet etc)

Thks
Ken

Paul K
30-06-2005, 16:26
USB? I thought in your first post you said it was a dial up connection? Or is it an external modem?
Dial up account details are very different to BB connection settings. You normally have to provide things like user/ account name, password, number to dial, etc.

meandmagootoo
30-06-2005, 16:33
The girl has an ntl dial up a/c at the moment.
Now has a usb BB modem and usb cable.

I understand dial up and would easily be able to set that up
on another pc then transfer across to the Japanese pc. But not a
USB BB modem - not sure how and what to do with that ? maybe it's the same
in paractice ?
I can see how it would work. I could take a laptop down to
her home install the usb modem and connect it up and register etc.
What I can't seem to work out is how to then transfer across
the details/settings that would be needed for it to work on the other pc ?
Thks

Paul K
30-06-2005, 16:40
Can she not contact NTL CS to have her MAC address registered against the account so that she doesn't have to provision?
Really you cannot transfer a BB setup between PCs as there isn't much to transfer, the only thing on setup on the PC is IE being told not to dial a connection and possibly a proxy setting.

meandmagootoo
30-06-2005, 16:42
Hi,

She has contacted NTL CS - they firstly hung up when she mentioned
Unsupported language and the second time told her to buy a new pc !!!!!
(or something along those lines)
Thks

meandmagootoo
01-07-2005, 12:06
my plan is :-

To take a laptop (English Win XP) and setup the cable modem on it.

Register it via the setup on the cd she has.

Move back the modem onto her pc. Setup IE and email etc

not to dial up and see if that works !!!

What do you think ? a waste of time !!!

bob_builder
01-07-2005, 13:49
Yes you should be able to register with any PC and then swap PCs once registered. (Note you will need to power-off the cable modem between PCs so it will work with the second PC.)

See http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/index.html for much more information.

meandmagootoo
04-07-2005, 17:26
Hi,

Thanks.
I was able to register the modem on my pc swap back the modem
to my friends pc & then just had to get IE and OE not to dial and all peachy.
Can't believe the way some customers are left with ntl :td: ?
This customer called ntl :td: CS several times - no help, nothing just your language is unsupported and tel line dead!! Appalling stuff .
I am not sure what this ntl :td: customer would have done without someone
with some pc knowledge helping her !!

Thks once again to all who left messages