PDA

View Full Version : Overdue! I Think Not!

snorbitz
05-12-2003, 15:31
Have come home from work to a demand letter for £95 for a dial up internet account that I closed this time last year.
Closed by letter and by phone call and via the engineer that installed the broadband!!!!
Spoke to Customer Services and they were very helpful and said that they would try to get this squashed. But also said I am liable for this amount and it would only be squashed as a "GESTURE" I know what kind of gesture I want to make at the moment. If they cannot find the letter I sent or the person I spoke to (I have the name of that person) I may still be liable to pay the full amount!!! It has to go in front of an approvement panel to be looked at. No disrespect to the Guy I spoke to as he is going to try to sort this out for me.. But NTL have really wound me up this time........

Am a loner here or has this happended to anyone else...

GazzaB
05-12-2003, 15:33
This is a warning to anyone migrating their dialup from broadband make sure you do it right otherwise you could get a nasty surprise! :Peace: :Peace:

Also anyone cancelling dialup make sure you get names and extensions of people at ntl who claim to be doing this for you!

snorbitz
05-12-2003, 15:41
This is a warning to anyone migrating their dialup from broadband make sure you do it right otherwise you could get a nasty surprise! :Peace: :Peace:

Also anyone cancelling dialup make sure you get names and extensions of people at ntl who claim to be doing this for you!

Please tell us what is the right way to do it as I thought I had done everything right and still got the nasty surprise:Peace: :Peace:

Mark W
05-12-2003, 15:41

good advice....and make very very sure they HAVE migrated your email accounts from your dial up to broadband account BEFORE they close it....as its a bit of a pain trying to migrate closed email accounts.....

Defiant
05-12-2003, 15:47
Oh how I miss my arguments with CS

Dooby
05-12-2003, 15:56
regardless of whether they closed the account properly or not, they simply CANT send an 'overdue' bill out after a year unless they have been sending out bills in the meantime and you have been ignoring them. Unless they have issued you bills and you havent paid, they cant suddenly demand the money, even if they can prove you owe them the money ( which you dont if you had cancelled teh account ) they would have to give you the chance to pay it off in installments because it was THEIR fault they didnt bill you correctly. ( basically if they tried to get a county court judgement against you they would be told to f*ck off because they hadnt been billing you correctly and its their fault the bill is overdue... )

rambling? me? never....

snorbitz
05-12-2003, 16:20
regardless of whether they closed the account properly or not, they simply CANT send an 'overdue' bill out after a year unless they have been sending out bills in the meantime and you have been ignoring them. Unless they have issued you bills and you havent paid, they cant suddenly demand the money, even if they can prove you owe them the money ( which you dont if you had cancelled teh account ) they would have to give you the chance to pay it off in installments because it was THEIR fault they didnt bill you correctly. ( basically if they tried to get a county court judgement against you they would be told to f*ck off because they hadnt been billing you correctly and its their fault the bill is overdue... )

rambling? me? never....

This is the point that I laugh the loudest..... As they tell me they have been sending E mails to me for over a year now to tell me I owe them money.. But they have been sending the E Mails to the account that I closed............

Chris
05-12-2003, 16:24
To answer one of your original questions, no you are not alone, this sort of thing happens rather too often and both this site and nthellworld.com (RIP) are full of similar threads to this one. :(

Dooby
05-12-2003, 16:25
This is the point that I laugh the loudest..... As they tell me they have been sending E mails to me for over a year now to tell me I owe them money.. But they have been sending the E Mails to the account that I closed............
f*cking retards, why have they waited a YEAR to send out a paper/real mail overdue demand... this smacks of some sort of system glitch/restore that has 'lost' the fact that the account was cancelled...

snorbitz
05-12-2003, 16:29
f*cking retards, why have they waited a YEAR to send out a paper/real mail overdue demand... this smacks of some sort of system glitch/restore that has 'lost' the fact that the account was cancelled...

Maybe I am being thick ... But if one of my customers had been paying by direct debit for a few years and all of a sudden cancelled a DD I would want to know why??????

Maggy
05-12-2003, 16:32
Can I make a suggestion for anyone who upgrades from dial-up to BB in the future.?:idea:

Why not get BB and have a brand new account and keep your old Dial-up account but downgrade it to Pay As You Go.This way you keep the old account name,no one is demanding payment for anything UNLESS you use the dial-up(always useful if the BB goes tits up)and you have a new account name to keep quiet from the spammers because of course you just keep the old account email to use when ordering or signing up online and the spammers can enjoy because you aren't interested enough to visit often.

Does that make sense? :Yes:

Incog. :)

Chris
05-12-2003, 16:34
Can I make a suggestion for anyone who upgrades from dial-up to BB in the future.?:idea:

Why not get BB and have a brand new account and keep your old Dial-up account but downgrade it to Pay As You Go.This way you keep the old account name,no one is demanding payment for anything UNLESS you use the dial-up(always useful if the BB goes tits up)and you have a new account name to keep quiet from the spammers because of course you just keep the old account email to use when ordering or signing up online and the spammers can enjoy because you aren't interested enough to visit often.

Does that make sense? :Yes:

Incog. :)
This is what I did, but when I moved from dial-up to BB, dial-up was still free. NTL made some effort to communicate to BB users when dial-up became chargeable in order to get them to choose one or other of the paid-for dial-up packages. I opted for the pay-as-you-go one; I didn't want to lose it altogether because I have always used my dial-up addys and have never bothered with the email accounts or webspace associated with the BB account.

th'engineer
05-12-2003, 17:27
I did that as well no problems with it just downgrade to 1ppm after all you need some form of back up with NTL BB

gavnad
05-12-2003, 22:17
you cannot downgrade to 1ppm when there is outstanding charges on the account you will be prompted to add in card details to make payment

Maggy
05-12-2003, 22:46
you cannot downgrade to 1ppm when there is outstanding charges on the account you will be prompted to add in card details to make payment

that's crazy.that means until you can't get it sorted the bill just keeps getting higher and higher. :(

MetaWraith
06-12-2003, 00:23
that's crazy.that means until you can't get it sorted the bill just keeps getting higher and higher. :(

That's NTL !!!!!!!

Never Too Late (to send out an unreasonable bill)

snorbitz
30-04-2004, 10:39
Okay... Here we are many months on and I have now had a demand letter from a debt collecting agency!! I have spoken to NTL on many occasions and been told not to worry about it, as it has been sorted and not to pay the account. Spoke to them again this morning and was told the same thing.Starting to worry a bit now as I have never been in debt and certainly never had a letter from a debt collecting agency! Can someone please bail me out here and give me someone in a senior position that I can contact to sort this out once and for all.
Thanks in advance
Snorbitz.

paulyoung666
30-04-2004, 16:16
Okay... Here we are many months on and I have now had a demand letter from a debt collecting agency!! I have spoken to NTL on many occasions and been told not to worry about it, as it has been sorted and not to pay the account. Spoke to them again this morning and was told the same thing.Starting to worry a bit now as I have never been in debt and certainly never had a letter from a debt collecting agency! Can someone please bail me out here and give me someone in a senior position that I can contact to sort this out once and for all.
Thanks in advance
Snorbitz.

try ofcom (http://www.ofcom.org.uk/) , hopefully they will get this sorted out for you , have you kept all the details of phone calls , letters , bills etc , they will probably want to see them , hope this helps you :)

threadbare
30-04-2004, 16:51
the "right way" to do it is during registration of your broadband

paulyoung666
30-04-2004, 17:00
the "right way" to do it is during registration of your broadband

bit late now though :(

SMHarman
30-04-2004, 17:06

Are they allowed to correspond for billing purely by e-mail? Do T&C allow that. I thought that unless you elected all billing still had to be paper based.

threadbare
30-04-2004, 17:08
bit late now though :( certainly is! :)

threadbare
30-04-2004, 17:09
Are they allowed to correspond for billing purely by e-mail? Do T&C allow that. I thought that unless you elected all billing still had to be paper based.I dont think so as you would have to give your security word over

LostintheNW
30-04-2004, 17:53
Join the club about a letter from a debt colletion agency! we just got one for an unlimited dialup account that was cancelled when we got broadband! everything was paid up each month as its all done by direct debit. Over 6 months ago we got a letter about the outstanding charges and I complained and everything was passed to the "back office" which I think is an NTL term for we wont do anything about it! The people in the back office (who knows what they are) were meant to be sorting it all out and it now appears as usual they have done nothing.

Not to contact us for over 6 months though is pathetic and then to instruct a debt collection agency! Thank god I work in one of the top 5 law firms in the North West - lets see who will be taking who to court!

gavnad
30-04-2004, 22:57
This happens all too often I know coz i did work in collections until it was regionalised...the usual thing if you have BB would be for CS to check the date the BB account was set up and credit the necessary charges back to the dial up account and you pay the reminder......it is the responsibility technically during the BB reg process for the customer to decide whether to keep or ditch the dial up account so this may be the stance CS are taking although be it a tough one

snorbitz
13-05-2004, 19:26
Okay this has now been resolved!
Decided I was fed up trying to talk to people on the phone and getting no where. So I paid a visit to the Winnersh NTL office. Spoke to a human being face to face. Explained the situation and within 10 minutes it was all sorted without me having to pay anything. I have to say a big thumbs up to the Guy I spoke to for listening and understanding. Some of my faith in this company has been restored. Which is a good thing as I spend about £100 a month on their products.

paulyoung666
13-05-2004, 19:29
Okay this has now been resolved!
Decided I was fed up trying to talk to people on the phone and getting no where. So I paid a visit to the Winnersh NTL office. Spoke to a human being face to face. Explained the situation and within 10 minutes it was all sorted without me having to pay anything. I have to say a big thumbs up to the Guy I spoke to for listening and understanding. Some of my faith in this company has been restored. Which is a good thing as I spend about £100 a month on their products.

dammit , i never thought to mention i did exactly the same and got a resolution instantly , glad you got sorted out btw :)

snorbitz
13-05-2004, 19:39
dammit , i never thought to mention i did exactly the same and got a resolution instantly , glad you got sorted out btw :)

What sent me over the edge was another letter from the debt collecting agency.......! When I opened that I got a ""MAJOR HEAD OF STEAM"" on and jumped in the car and went into their offices ready to do battle.