PDA

View Full Version : Analogue TV distribution help request

GeezerNug
05-12-2003, 13:29
Hi guys,

First post, so apologies up front if I screw up!

I would like to distribute the analogue channels from the cable within my house. I've got a fairly good idea what's required but I'd appreciate any tips.

Cable comes out of the street into a VC210 2-way splitter. One leg goes to my STB and the other goes to my cable modem. It's here I'd like to connect to the cable. At the cable modem termination there's a VC330 TV/FM isolator with the TV connecting to the modem through a 4dB Forward Path Equaliser.

My plan is to insert a passive 2-way splitter before the equaliser and take one o/p to the distribution amp, some 20 metres away with the second o/p going to the modem through the equaliser.

I obviously don't want to upset the network so should I put some sort of booster/buffer amp before the new 20m length or is that overkill? If it's required, any suggestions for make, model, important specs etc?

I have a suitable length of 'satellite coax' which would be fine (I believe) from a buffer amp but is it OK for the NTL cable? I'm happy to get some RG6 if necessary.

So, good people, what do you think?

Thanks for your help!

Cheers
John Ansell

homealone
05-12-2003, 14:16
no idea, but I'll bump it for you, in case someone else does - welcome to the forum btw. :welcome:

SMHarman
05-12-2003, 14:48
:welcome:

It's my understanding that you should not plug anything into the cable pre STB or SACM as this is against T&C and can upset the network for all other users on your segment and screw up the SACM / interactive downstream.

If you want to distribute analogue chanels you should take the pass through output of your STB and then distribute / amplify (if necessary) this output.

Hopefully your STB has pass through. If it does you will have a coax going into the back of your TV from the STB that shows 1-4 and the cable box output. You can do what you want with the output from this cable.

Chris
05-12-2003, 14:54
Hi there, Hemel neighbour! :wavey:

Nemesis
05-12-2003, 15:05

Ok, I have one cable coming in ...... that is split in two, one to downstairs STB, the other to Upstairs STB, this last one is split again, one to the STB the other plugged into a signal booster/splitter .... this gives the analogue channels to all the other TV's in the house.

I was told by the engineer that this would not be a prob .... :shrug:

GeezerNug
05-12-2003, 15:35
:welcome:

It's my understanding that you should not plug anything into the cable pre STB or SACM as this is against T&C and can upset the network for all other users on your segment and screw up the SACM / interactive downstream.

If you want to distribute analogue chanels you should take the pass through output of your STB and then distribute / amplify (if necessary) this output.

Hopefully your STB has pass through. If it does you will have a coax going into the back of your TV from the STB that shows 1-4 and the cable box output. You can do what you want with the output from this cable.
That's my understanding too. Trouble is, there isn't a pass-through o/p on my STB. Life would be a whole lot easier if there were!

When I asked the installation engineer about adding extra analogue TV's he said the cable would drive 'several' (I think he said 5 or 6) so I'm fairly sure I wouldn't be wrecking the network.

I think I read somewhere on the site that a separate pass-through unit is available from NTL, am I right? This would certainly help, especially if it doesn't have to be near the STB. Anyone know where can I get more info on this?

Cheers
John

spiderplant
05-12-2003, 21:33
When I asked the installation engineer about adding extra analogue TV's he said the cable would drive 'several' (I think he said 5 or 6) so I'm fairly sure I wouldn't be wrecking the network.

I think I read somewhere on the site that a separate pass-through unit is available from NTL, am I right? This would certainly help, especially if it doesn't have to be near the STB. Anyone know where can I get more info on this?

the problem isnt overloading the network, its the TVs sending noise back into the network. You are correct that bypass units are available - these contain filters to make sure no noise is passed back. Give ntl a call to get one. But you may have to pay a callout charge.

GeezerNug
06-12-2003, 10:16
the problem isnt overloading the network, its the TVs sending noise back into the network. You are correct that bypass units are available - these contain filters to make sure no noise is passed back. Give ntl a call to get one. But you may have to pay a callout charge.
Good point, thanks for that. I'll try them first...

15 mins later, they seemed to understand but said there are no technicians available & they'll phone back to give us a date! But at least it'll be done 'correctly'.

Wonder if he'll leave me some coax...

Thanks everybody for your help.

Cheers
John

GeezerNug
06-12-2003, 10:24
Hi Towny!

I only just worked out your location - I thought it was somewhere in Wales... :)

Cheers
John

Chris
06-12-2003, 10:34
Hi Towny!

I only just worked out your location - I thought it was somewhere in Wales... :)

Cheers
John

lol they all say that ... it's just that, to my northern ears, it seems to me that I live in Emmw Emstid. :)

GeezerNug
12-12-2003, 18:44
Good point, thanks for that. I'll try them first...

15 mins later, they seemed to understand but said there are no technicians available & they'll phone back to give us a date! But at least it'll be done 'correctly'.

Wonder if he'll leave me some coax...

Thanks everybody for your help.

Cheers
John
Ayup, guys, me again.

Well colour me surprised but they didn't phone back.

When I chased 'em up the droid I spoke to told me (after putting me on hold for 10 minutes and then losing my direct debit details) that he'd spoken to two different departments and was getting different replies but basically it looks like NTL don't/won't supply a bypass unit after all.

So, are there any techs or NTL staff on the forum who can help? My needs are simple but I'm running out of patience! I need to know either the correct part no. to buy from CPC or a way to contact an intelligent fitter. I know they're out there, the guys doing the original install were great. Wish I'd realised then...

Help! :(

Cheers
John

ntltech32
15-12-2003, 22:15
Hiya,

Hopefully my pm to you has sorted it =) can you pm me your address again so i can pop some bit's in the post to you..

cable and twin isolator etc..

Kris

GeezerNug
16-12-2003, 12:19
Hiya,

Hopefully my pm to you has sorted it =) can you pm me your address again so i can pop some bit's in the post to you..

cable and twin isolator etc..

Kris
Hi Kris,

Thanks very much. PM replied to!

Cheers
John

altis
16-12-2003, 14:17
It's easy if you have a terrestrial aerial - and you can distribute Freeview too. For a distribution amp, try the Antiference A200 (http://custom1.farnell.com/cpc/search.asp?keyword=A200) series.

Download Failed (1) (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/altisuk/fm/index.htm#more-than-one)

GeezerNug
16-12-2003, 14:32
It's easy if you have a terrestrial aerial - and you can distribute Freeview too. For a distribution amp, try the Antiference A200 (http://custom1.farnell.com/cpc/search.asp?keyword=A200) series.

Download Failed (1) (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/altisuk/fm/index.htm#more-than-one) Thanks Altis,

That works fine if the STB has an analogue (RF) output. Mine doesn't - I'm lucky like that :(

Cheers
John

badboy
23-12-2003, 12:20
Making any changes or splitting cables is not recommended in any shape or form.

It causes untold problems for other customers, yourself and obviously the cable company.

It produces what is called "ingress noise", ingress noise going back onto the network is not a good thing.

GeezerNug
23-12-2003, 13:15

It causes untold problems for other customers, yourself and obviously the cable company.

It produces what is called "ingress noise", ingress noise going back onto the network is not a good thing.
Well, it's OK if it's done right, otherwise it couldn't be installed!

But I know what you mean.

Thanks to everybody who ploughed through this thread. It's all done now thanks to some excellent help from ntltech32. I'd like to say he's a jolly good chap and all-round good egg and I owe him several pints.

Merry Christmas everybody!

Cheers
John

mjacklin
28-12-2003, 20:09
Hi all - a very timely topic as I've just got hold of an XP Media Centre PC and find myself in the position of looking to replace the current TV/FM splitter which feeds my cable modem in my office with a TV/TV splitter instead. Does anyone know if it is possible to buy the correct type of splitter in any of the standard online/regular stores?

I believe these guys produce the ones I need but I don't know who stocks them.
http://www.technetix.plc.uk/products/asec.htm

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Mark

GeezerNug
29-12-2003, 14:31
Hi all - a very timely topic as I've just got hold of an XP Media Centre PC and find myself in the position of looking to replace the current TV/FM splitter which feeds my cable modem in my office with a TV/TV splitter instead. Does anyone know if it is possible to buy the correct type of splitter in any of the standard online/regular stores?

I believe these guys produce the ones I need but I don't know who stocks them.
http://www.technetix.plc.uk/products/asec.htm

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Mark
HI Mark,

Welcome to the forum! :wavey:

If you haven't noticed, I've put some info in a PM.

Cheers
John

ntltech32
29-12-2003, 18:22
hiya mark, you should get what you require in the posty..

thanks gezzanug for the nice comments =)

merry xmas to you all

Shaun
29-12-2003, 19:34
What a great thread, just shows there are still some at Ntl that care.

Well done everyone, :ghugs:

ntltech32
29-12-2003, 23:30
What a great thread, just shows there are still some at Ntl that care.

Well done everyone, :ghugs:

hehe thanks !!

ntltech32
30-12-2003, 10:46

I must say this is spot on! but with the correct equipment used and also the signal levels correct there is not a problem. ingress can also be caused by a lose "F" connector on the back of your stb, sacm etc where it leaks signal..

mjacklin
30-12-2003, 12:43
Yes - a big thanks to GeezerNug for confirming my thoughts and a huge thank you to ntltech32 for coming up with the goods (arrived this morning). What a pleasure getting such excellent help in a Forum - I may have to stick around!

:tu:

Happy New Year to all!

I must say this is spot on! but with the correct equipment used and also the signal levels correct there is not a problem. ingress can also be caused by a lose "F" connector on the back of your stb, sacm etc where it leaks signal..

Jon_
30-12-2003, 13:52
hi, soz to bump in on this, just wondering if something like product code QQ69A at www.maplin.co.uk would be a suitable splitter? ive got a pc tv card and i cant for the life of me get a decent anologe picture from my wall mounted areal and wondering if a cable analoge would work better

ntltech32
30-12-2003, 14:28
hi, soz to bump in on this, just wondering if something like product code QQ69A at www.maplin.co.uk would be a suitable splitter? ive got a pc tv card and i cant for the life of me get a decent anologe picture from my wall mounted areal and wondering if a cable analoge would work better

yeah that would work.. how ever you can get a splitter cheaper on ebay although you will lose 3.5db signal loss per connection.

your best bet is a vocomm twin data/tv isolated splitter pm me if you require one.

Stu038
30-12-2003, 14:43
just wondering if something like product code QQ69A at www.maplin.co.uk would be a suitable splitter?

Errr sorry, but that one is probably not so good, the sub split may cause problems if a SCAM or STB is ever connected to that leg at a later date as some regions use frequencies upto 41.5MHz.

your best bet is a vocomm twin data/tv isolated splitter pm me if you require one.

A lot better idea :)

Jon_
30-12-2003, 16:24
PM sent :)

Since its been nearly 6 years since i did my a level in physics, is there a guide or something out there that would show me in more 2easy to understand" terms what the affect a 3.5db loss or the frequencies used and how they affect things, as atm those figures went totaly over my head!

ntltech32
30-12-2003, 17:21
PM sent :)

Since its been nearly 6 years since i did my a level in physics, is there a guide or something out there that would show me in more 2easy to understand" terms what the affect a 3.5db loss or the frequencies used and how they affect things, as atm those figures went totaly over my head!

hehe most sacm's (stand alone cable modems) run on frequencies 402.775 mhz carrier and i think 411.000 for return path.

the level at which a modem operates correctly is about -1 dbv @ 402.775 and flat -0 dbv on 579.000 and 835.000 and about +12 dbv on 128.000 but not everyone's is set correctly. the tolerance is about 6 dbv - and about 4 dbv + on the 402.775....... lowest 128.000 can be is about +4 dbv

where as digital runs on a multiplex of signals...

579.000 (northants) 811.000 (Coventry) Default Freq
835.000 Return Path
411.000 carrier

and many more...

digital have to be as close to -0 dbv flat across the freq otherwise slope and gains will make it impossible to become 5 connected and then for interactive services to work, boxes freezing and jumping.. locking etc etc

Fraggle911
29-01-2004, 15:14
Hi Folks

Forgive me jumping in here, but I have a similar situation, and one of the people mentioned a "vocomm twin data/tv isolated splitter", does anyone know where you can get info on these, and possibly buy one?

Cheers

altis
29-01-2004, 15:28
Info here:
http://www.technetix.plc.uk/products/section_a/a1/vc321.pdf

Buy one:
you'll have to ask NTL I'm afraid (unless someone is feeling generous) ;)

Fraggle911
29-01-2004, 15:43
Thanks for the info, much appreciated, guess I had better start trawling the auction sites in the hope that someone has one going spare :)