PDA

View Full Version : I need some advice about PC game pads.

Maggy
05-12-2003, 11:19
My son has asked for a "working game pad".As you will gather the one I bought last year is considered to be "cr@p".

So what can I buy him for crimbo this year?What is a good game pad for PC with 1.4 Athlon processor and Windows ME and a "second rate" games card?Bearing in mind I DO NOT WANT to pay too much as I've some heavy duty Xbox games to buy as well.

Incog totally bemused as to why I have to buy a gamepad for MY PC. :shrug:

downquark1
05-12-2003, 11:29
My son has asked for a "working game pad".As you will gather the one I bought last year is considered to be "cr@p".

So what can I buy him for crimbo this year?What is a good game pad for PC with 1.4 Athlon processor and Windows ME and a "second rate" games card?Bearing in mind I DO NOT WANT to pay too much as I've some heavy duty Xbox games to buy as well.

Incog totally bemused as to why I have to buy a gamepad for MY PC. :shrug:I think you can get adapter that will allow Xbox controllers to connect to a USB port:
http://www.hartsunlimited.com/xbcoadforpcu1.html
I don't know any local shops that sell them though.:(

Maggy
05-12-2003, 13:44
I think you can get adapter that will allow Xbox controllers to connect to a USB port:
http://www.hartsunlimited.com/xbcoadforpcu1.html
I don't know any local shops that sell them though.:(

An Xbox controller for my PC? I'm confused!!

Incog.

downquark1
05-12-2003, 13:57

Incog. I thought if you already had a xbox it may save money to use the same controllers (I'm not sure - I don't know much about PC controllers).

Bifta
05-12-2003, 14:01

I recently bought a Saitek P2500 Rumble Pad, I think it was around 25 quid, shaped like a PS2 pad .. it's wonderful ... absolutely wonderful.

Bifta
05-12-2003, 14:04

Incog.

Also, as someone mentioned, you can get a converter so you can take one of the Xbox game pads and use it on your PC.

http://www.consolesandgadgets.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/950

cheaper than buying a new gamepad.

zoombini
05-12-2003, 15:50
Ewwwww, don't encourage her to desecrate the beloved Xbox controller on a mere PC.

Not even the one thats only 14.99 at Toys R Us etc.

To throw a spanner in the works, is the game port good enough to handle a decent controller? I have found that some in the past have not been good enough & just make a mess no matter what quality controller.

MadGamer
05-12-2003, 16:15
Get a Microsoft Sidewinder Gamepad USB controller im pretty sure it will work with ME. Ive got one but im using XP.

Dooby
05-12-2003, 17:30

tbh ( and speaking as a parent ) I would tell him to stop being such an ungratefull little sh*t and he can pay for his own in future LOL

actually, on a more serious note, have you though of asking him to research some and find one he likes, or a range of ones he likes, ok he MAY just pick the most expensive... but you can always negotiate a bit or give him a budget ...

*edit, oh missed the bit about it being YOUR pc... also, as an afterthought, why does he want a game pad for the PC?? most people I know play certain games on a PC cos the kb/mouse combination offers superior control ( as opposed to the controller on consoles ) *

Maggy
05-12-2003, 17:36
tbh ( and speaking as a parent ) I would tell him to stop being such an ungratefull little sh*t and he can pay for his own in future LOL

actually, on a more serious note, have you though of asking him to research some and find one he likes, or a range of ones he likes, ok he MAY just pick the most expensive... but you can always negotiate a bit or give him a budget ...

*edit, oh missed the bit about it being YOUR pc... also, as an afterthought, why does he want a game pad for the PC?? most people I know play certain games on a PC cos the kb/mouse combination offers superior control ( as opposed to the controller on consoles ) *

Because I do have a more powerful,newer PC than his which unlike his is connected to the internet and I have a 19" moniter whilst his is a feeble 16".Halflife plays much better on my PC than his.
Come on he is a TEENAGER.:D

Incog.

Bifta
05-12-2003, 18:08
Ewwwww, don't encourage her to desecrate the beloved Xbox controller on a mere PC.

Yeah I forgot, sticking a controller from a kid's toy into a PC is tantamount to desecretion ;) And .. game port? Are you still living in the 80's? Most HID's use USB now.

Maggy
05-12-2003, 18:20
Now,now,let us not start a war lads. :knock:

I need help here please.

Anyway I like the Xbox as much as I like the PC. :) Halo is great!!!!

Incog.

dr wadd
05-12-2003, 18:27
There is no need to buy an adaptor to get the XBox controller on the PC as you can make one yourself.

http://www.xbox-emulation.co.uk/Xbox-Controller-Mod.shtml

Dooby
05-12-2003, 19:50
he wants a game pad to play HALF LIFE .. whats wrong with the kid!!! he should use a keyboard and mouse for FPS :) LOL

seriously, I would still recommend the 'ask him to find one he likes'

Dooby
05-12-2003, 19:51
whilst his is a feeble 16". Incog.
fnar fnar

actually, no, 16" :eek: thats not funny LOL
sorry, i'll get my coat

Maggy
05-12-2003, 20:44
Sigh! Some people.

I'm quickly running out of money.I think I'll wait until the sales(when I get whopping big pay day)and take him to choose one.

Thanks for the suggestions-I think!

Incog. :tu:

2||Para
06-12-2003, 01:34
Ive been playing cs/hl for years tell you're kid he does'nt need a gamepad as cs/hl is hopeless when using it.

I personally would suggest a optical mouse like mine Logitech mx500.Most of the cs gamers i know use this or the 700 as the response is really fast.

try looking on www.ebuyer.co.uk

martinell
07-12-2003, 10:04
I'm gonna assume that he has use of a playstation pad coz most kids have one so why not try a converter for usb like these (www.consoleplus.co.uk/catalog/default.php?cPath=44_112). The SuperJoy3 works from the box on 2k,even the analogue, but NO rumble :(. I got one for all the racing games i seem to play but for FPS stuff like 2 para sez optical is the way to go(as long as its got a wire or a charging station).

Maggy
07-12-2003, 16:32
He informs me that he wants a decent gamepad so he can play flying games.However he does not want a joystick.He also says hewants two analogue sticks.

That's all the clues he gave me.

I think I'll wait until the sales and take him to choose one.It will be easier on my nerves and give you all a break from my daft question.This means HE has to do the research. ;)

Incog. :juggle:

Bifta
07-12-2003, 17:29
He informs me that he wants a decent gamepad so he can play flying games.However he does not want a joystick.He also says hewants two analogue sticks.

That's all the clues he gave me.

I think I'll wait until the sales and take him to choose one.It will be easier on my nerves and give you all a break from my daft question.This means HE has to do the research. ;)

Incog. :juggle:

The first one I recommended has two analog sticks.

grindkid25
19-01-2004, 21:00
there is this new thing in GAME.
one side of it you plug into a USB port in ur computer...and the the other u can plug in a PS or a PS2 controller to play on pc

how neat is that?!

paulyoung666
20-01-2004, 09:44
there is this new thing in GAME.
one side of it you plug into a USB port in ur computer...and the the other u can plug in a PS or a PS2 controller to play on pc

how neat is that?!

game website or game shop ????????????????? , i have fancied trying one of these for a while now :)

Tristan
20-01-2004, 21:42
I've seen them in Game shops. They're pretty basic though. You can get one from Play.com that allows you to plug two PS pads in at the same time. Still others have a connector which takes power from the PS/2 port (how appropriate!) to enable the rumble feature (USB ports do not supply enough current for it to work usually).

Bifta
20-01-2004, 23:22
game website or game shop ????????????????? , i have fancied trying one of these for a while now :)

http://www.consolesandgadgets.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/22_136/products_id/254

Maggy
23-02-2004, 22:45
WE went with this in the end.

http://www.consolesandgadgets.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/27_66/products_id/1443

Incog.

Thank you for all the suggestions.

MadGamer
23-02-2004, 23:08
WE went with this in the end.

http://www.consolesandgadgets.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/27_66/products_id/1443

Incog.

Thank you for all the suggestions. Glad you managed to find one.