PDA

View Full Version : DNS Out again?

chambece
05-12-2003, 09:52
Turned on my PC this morning and couldn't get anywhere - DNS Failed on all sites - changed my DNS Server in my router and away we go!!

Previously I'd just been doing it in my network settings, and that wasn't having much effect.

I take it the DNS is out again then? There's just nothing on the support page (or wasn't at the time) so I called, and gave up after 30 mins, thinking that I take it there lots of other people have probs too!!

downquark1
05-12-2003, 09:59
Turned on my PC this morning and couldn't get anywhere - DNS Failed on all sites - changed my DNS Server in my router and away we go!!

Previously I'd just been doing it in my network settings, and that wasn't having much effect.

I take it the DNS is out again then? There's just nothing on the support page (or wasn't at the time) so I called, and gave up after 30 mins, thinking that I take it there lots of other people have probs too!!
If you have a router reboot it - and reboot your cable modem. I'm not in a position to check NTL DNS at the moment.

th'engineer
05-12-2003, 10:33
To by pass the NTL DNS see realted thread (http://forum.nthellworld.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2454)

threadbare
05-12-2003, 11:03
try open cmd prompt and type ipconfig /flushdns (windows xp - not sure about other versions of windows)

chambece
05-12-2003, 11:35
If you have a router reboot it - and reboot your cable modem. I'm not in a position to check NTL DNS at the moment.

Yeah, I first of all did that, and tried a direct connection to the CM, completly bypassing the router, but still didn't work.

I have a feeling it might be a local problem somehow!!

downquark1
05-12-2003, 11:37
Yeah, I first of all did that, and tried a direct connection to the CM, completly bypassing the router, but still didn't work.

I have a feeling it might be a local problem somehow!!
can you access anything using ip address.

Google here:

chambece
05-12-2003, 11:39
As I said, I'm OK now, I changed the DNS in my router and all seems well, but I was wondering if it was a known problem?

Edit : when I said known problem, I meant known other than "NTL's DNS is a bit ropey at the mo and sometimes might not work!"

DrAwesome
05-12-2003, 19:59
The NTL inktomi i was using, default, (mid) has just gone down intermitant. I had problems getting to the NThell forums tonight I couldnt browes anywhere (if i cant get to the web site http://www.bbc.co.uk then they must be a problem in the area again)

Mr.Moony
05-12-2003, 21:06
Did you ipconfig /all to make sure the DNS servers had been provided ?
Were they the proper DNS servers ?
Can you ping the DNS servers ?
What happens when you nslookup www.ntlworld.com ?
Does it work when you browse via IP ?