PDA

View Full Version : Is my ntl line faulty

Agent47
18-06-2006, 19:43
Last sunday various friends were trying to phone me at home, according to them the phone was ringing out, but my phone never rang and I was in all day. That day I dialled my phone using my mobile, I have two phones in my house. both never rang.

I was able to make outgoing calls from both phones in my home.

Today the same problem has happended again, my sister has been trying to phone me all day and once again both phones would not ring.

Outgoing calls are ok.

I would phone ntl too ask them to test the line, but suppose i will get through to someone who cant understand english.

What the hell is going on. I feel like going back to BT.

:mad:

Florence
18-06-2006, 20:00
I had a similar problem with my old fax/phone and we bought another phone and it worked seemed the fax/phone had stopped ringing and still doesn't but the other phone lets us know when others are calling us.

Try another phone and if it still doesn't work then call and ask them to check.

Paul K
18-06-2006, 20:01
Have you tried a different, corded phone on the line? One you know works? Would be the first question asked if you call NTL TS

Agent47
18-06-2006, 20:34
I have two phones and both have not rang today.

Paul K
18-06-2006, 20:50
Have you tried one at a time? Sometimes a fault on one phone can knock both out.

Florence
18-06-2006, 20:59
strange for two phones to stop at once but just incase borrow one from a neighbour or friend just for a few mins to check

Pinkypants
19-06-2006, 02:00
The major questions the Faults center would ask you are:

Have you tried removing all extensions and equipment from your line and left a corded phone in the main socket? If that didnt work, have you tried another corded phone in the main socket?

If yes, check :

When you dial out, does the other person see your number on their display? If not, you may have a crossed line and you need to speak to Faults to get a tech out.

If they get your number on the display, check:

Have you checked the volume controls on your phone to check they are set to high (if you have the option to)?

If yes, finally try:

And finally, have you changed your number over from BT recently? Has this occured only after the number port has gone through? If the problem has occured since the Number port went through then it is a problem with portability -again you'd need to speak to the Faults centre.

Hope these suggestions helped, they are standard questions for every faults agent, so it may save you some time on the phone if you do need to call NTL.

If you still have a problem, call faults on 0845 454 0000 Option 3 :)

The best of luck :)

PS1
19-06-2006, 22:30
Try dialing 175 (ON YOUR LANDLINE HANDSET),this should give you your telephone number.Its possible that for some reason,you have a different number to the one you should have!DOH.This would mean the phone rings when somebody dials your correct number(but doesnt ring in your house) but you still have a dial tone when you pick up either of your handsets.Or providing you dont have a "withheld" landlind,you could just dial your mobile off it and see what number comes up.:tu:

sirsimon
20-06-2006, 02:34
Last sunday various friends were trying to phone me at home, according to them the phone was ringing out, but my phone never rang and I was in all day. That day I dialled my phone using my mobile, I have two phones in my house. both never rang.

I was able to make outgoing calls from both phones in my home.

Today the same problem has happended again, my sister has been trying to phone me all day and once again both phones would not ring.

Outgoing calls are ok.

I would phone ntl too ask them to test the line, but suppose i will get through to someone who cant understand english.

What the hell is going on. I feel like going back to BT.

:mad:
i would of maybe tried ringing the landline from mobile and answering it to check that incoming calls do work ok maybe the phone dont ring but at least your be in a better position to inform faults of this finding or fault ?? worth a try ?

teap
26-01-2007, 10:43
HI all im a newbe, Just searched the forum for this problem as im having the same problem at the minute as well. This will be the third time this has happened to me Ive done all the checks eg unplued the extension and tried to ring the landline from my mobile, its ringing on line but not in the house, took the extension phone down stairs changed over phones and tried again, nothing. Ive rang the faults line and spoke to a nice pakistani girl (i think) she took my mobile number and then tried to ring the landline no joy so she rang my mobile and wanted to arrange a visit from a technician. could i be intoday between 8 and 1? nope ive to take my mum to the docs at 10 am, well then it will have to be monday, will i be in between 1 and 5? sorry Im going to England tomorrow wont be back to Monday 4.30pm so its now arranged for between 5 and 8 on monday evening.
But the thing that gets me is that each time this has happened they have arranged for a tech to call but they end up fixing the fault from their end, But do not imform me of this the first i know its fixed is when the tech fails to call and then a friend or family member ring me and it rings in the house. Will just wait and see what happens this time. And also the girl asked if it was ok to give the tech my mobile number so there is no excuse at all for not showing up or contacting me, on the landline if its fixed or mobile if not.

will let you know how it goes

Teap in Belfast

monkey2468
26-01-2007, 10:57
Sounds like a problem with the network. Faulty ring generator possibly? This will effect more than just you though in your local area which would explain why it gets fixed before tech attends.

teap
26-01-2007, 17:31
:) Ok All was fixed by 4.10pm and the NTL rang me to let me know and tell me it was an ongoing fault that they got a new part and installed it so no more problems (fingers crossed) and he will cancell the tech call for Monday.

Teap