PDA

View Full Version : Broadband and Norton Firewall

smokin2003
28-06-2003, 10:01
I am having lots of trouble with my 600 broadband "dropping out" for want of a better word.
:mad:

It can be working fine then it will just dcd then maybe, if i am lucky, will reconnect without me doing anything but most times i have gotta turn the stb off etc etc.

A call to customer support :spin: suggested after about 20 minutes that it was my NEW firewall that has been on since january.

It is rather weird tho cos it aint done it since that phone call and i have not changed anything my end.

Any clues please.:shrug:

th'engineer
28-06-2003, 10:07
Check that you are allowing the referesh of the lease of the IP from NTL .

That might be a reason why also check your power levels are not changing

smokin2003
28-06-2003, 10:17
Sorry if i sound dumb but how do i know if i am allowing refresh and how do i check power levels?

th'engineer
28-06-2003, 11:02
Are you connected STB or SACM details are HERE (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/index.html) see details about firewall. If STB up DWN Blue on remote check middle light is illuminated

Ignition
28-06-2003, 14:43
Okies:

1) Where abouts in the country are you?
2) Is your TV service affected in any way?
3) Does resetting the STB ALWAYS fix the issue?
4) Are the dropouts at regular intervals or are they random?

I find it unlikely that the firewall that you have had for so long would suddenly decide it wanted to block DHCP renewal, it's either a problem with ntl's DHCP servers (though I very much doubt this, otherwise the dropout rate would be lower, once a week-ish) or it's a CATV problem, issues with power levels, or with your STB itself. If there's no pattern to the disconnects that is what I would favour. If they are always after a certain amount of time I would look at it being DHCP.

Again though so long as you haven't changed any configuration on your machine it's unlikely that your firewall will suddenly start to block the DHCP. Have to say I think the techy you were speaking to got it a bit wrong, and it's either your STB or CATV to blame :(

th'engineer
28-06-2003, 15:55
if you read the thread he did mention new firewall:D

Ignition
28-06-2003, 16:32
Yep in the context that tech support were calling it new even though it was 6 months old ;)

Someone really needs to fix the clock on this site, is messing with my head a bit seeing stuff I posted an hour ago being described as being posted 17 hours ago ;)

How bizarre fixed now, previously clock was 17 hours slow!

smokin2003
28-06-2003, 16:34
I live in runcorn cheshire and connect to manchester. Even though i use STB i dont actually watch tv with it i use my sky+ for that :S. But ntl said to keep broadband i have to keep the basic tv package even tho they reduced the cost for me.
Like i said sometimes i dont have to reset the box it just reconnects on occasions but otherwise it always seems to work when i reset.
The dropouts usually happen in phases i guess once it happens once it will usually keep happening and then it can be fine for days maybe even weeks. I made the call last saturday and its been fine since.
It is a kinda new firewall, i moved from zone alarm to norton but this was in January and i am pretty sure it was a few months before this started to happen.

poolking
28-06-2003, 16:37
Originally posted by JustAnotherN00b
Yep in the context that tech support were calling it new even though it was 6 months old ;)

Someone really needs to fix the clock on this site, is messing with my head a bit seeing stuff I posted an hour ago being described as being posted 17 hours ago ;)

How bizarre fixed now, previously clock was 17 hours slow!

This has been brouht up several times, it is not a problem with the site it is the host of the site that has a problem with the time on the server.

And really this should be posted in the site discussion forum. :D