PDA

View Full Version : Buying insurance for a Sky digibox

JediMaster
12-06-2006, 15:58
Sorry to Hi-Jack this Thread...

I am a Newbie to Sky... Joined after getting my LCD TV.. I have never had so many letterts or phone calls in my life.... Its starting to miff me off to be Honest.

At start I thought, great, they are asking if I like TV & am I happy. Now I get letters every week (at the start I had 4 copies of everything)...

Now I get Calls every few Days.... Am I happy, would I do a Questionaire, Sky Support is there any errors :mad: lol..

Friday I had call saying I need to pay £80+ Insurance to cover STB for Damage.... I said its covered for 1yr then if it breaks down I'll Quit & Re-Join or buy on eBay... He was most rude & miffed at me...

Bring Back NTL lol :disturbd: (well maybe NOT) lol........ But does anyone here pay the £80? I was never told this when I joined Sky.

Chris
12-06-2006, 16:33
NTL rent you an STB as part of the package. Sky give you a STB (and dish) as part of the sign-up deal. That means the box belongs to you, which is why you might want to insure it for repair or replacement after the first 12 months.

However, some things to consider:

1. The company that phoned you is not Sky. It is an independent insurer that buys customer details from Sky so it knows who to target. It will do its damndest when contacting you to make you believe it is Sky without actually telling you an outright lie.

2. £80 is steep and you may well be able to make any repairs/replace parts yourself for less, especially if using eBay. It is not unheard of for Sky to replace out-of-warranty boxes anyway, so as not to lose your custom.

3. Some fates that may befall your box and that are covered by this insurance will be covered by your home contents policy anyway.

When they phoned me, I told them where to go ... ;) Politely of course.

---------- Post added at 16:33 ---------- Previous post was at 16:32 ----------

Moved into a new thread. :)

bdav
12-06-2006, 18:43
Forget it...

£30 for a barely used box on fleabay.
less than £30 for a new minidish. You'd have to have a lot of broken boxes to make it worth the while...