PDA

View Full Version : Business Essentials Broadband Problems

Hitchhiker
04-12-2003, 11:32
Morning

For the past week or so, I've been having the following problems with my Business Esssentials 512k broadband...

* Some web page connections being refused
* Large (1mb plus) attachments not sending due to the connection timing out
etc etc

Essentially it appears that the connection is constantly dropping and reconnecting, long enough to cause problems when sending/receiving but not long enough to be noticeable all the time.

Obviously I've tried customer support - but I got fed up after 45 mins.

I've got three machines connected via a hub to the broadband modem and this has worked fine for 10 months or so (two PCs both running XP and a Mac on OS 9).

The problem's affecting all the machines, so it's not a PC thing.

Any thoughts/suggestions/ideas gratefully received, and we're in Huddersfield (Kirklees) if any other locals are having the same problem.

Thanks,
HH

Ignition
04-12-2003, 11:39
Morning

For the past week or so, I've been having the following problems with my Business Esssentials 512k broadband...

* Some web page connections being refused
* Large (1mb plus) attachments not sending due to the connection timing out
etc etc

Essentially it appears that the connection is constantly dropping and reconnecting, long enough to cause problems when sending/receiving but not long enough to be noticeable all the time.

Obviously I've tried customer support - but I got fed up after 45 mins.

I've got three machines connected via a hub to the broadband modem and this has worked fine for 10 months or so (two PCs both running XP and a Mac on OS 9).

The problem's affecting all the machines, so it's not a PC thing.

Any thoughts/suggestions/ideas gratefully received, and we're in Huddersfield (Kirklees) if any other locals are having the same problem.

Thanks,
HH

You should have a number for Business Essentials customers to call, when I've called it in the past I've never had any trouble getting through. If you are calling residential CM support, don't! :)

Hitchhiker
04-12-2003, 14:40
You should have a number for Business Essentials customers to call, when I've called it in the past I've never had any trouble getting through. If you are calling residential CM support, don't! :)
I do but, based on previous experience of being lied to, fobbed off and generally messed around by people who tell me things that just aren't true, promise call backs and come out with ludicrous suggestions that are complete bobbins it will just be a waste of time.

HH

zovat
04-12-2003, 14:46
have you tried a speed test - this would give us a little more to work on -

try : http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/speedtest.html for a good one :)

also try a traceroute, and post the result here..

(I am NOT an NTL employee ;) )

Hitchhiker
04-12-2003, 14:49
have you tried a speed test - this would give us a little more to work on -

try : http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/speedtest.html for a good one :)

also try a traceroute, and post the result here..

(I am NOT an NTL employee ;) )
Neither show up much of a problem: the speed's showing as good (about 350 down but only 100 up) and I've pinged a load of places and there's little packet loss.

That is - when things don't disconnect.

Other times, the speed tests just don't work and I can't ping without 100 per cent packet loss because just at that moment that connection's dropped for a few seconds, so it times out.

HH

zovat
04-12-2003, 15:52
Neither show up much of a problem: the speed's showing as good (about 350 down but only 100 up) and I've pinged a load of places and there's little packet loss.

Other times, the speed tests just don't work and I can't ping without 100 per cent packet loss because just at that moment that connection's dropped for a few seconds, so it times out.

HH

what do you mean by 350 up - is that kbps - if so your connection is running at approx 2/3 speed (unless you were doing something online on another machine whilst this was being run).

you say this is happening on all machines - but is there a pattern ?

have you tried contacting the business support line - NTL claim it is a 24 hour service :).

IMHO you do need to get NTL support to look at this - as 350 on a business 512 is a bit pants. :(

chambece
05-12-2003, 09:47

HH

I've seen similar sorts of things when the router drops the connection, although usually when I've seen that, it doesn't usually come back!!

I take it you are using a router? Is there anything you can see on the router pages that says how long the connection has been up or anything?

The other thing to try would be just plugging one PC into the CM directly and hammer it, see if you have similar problems

slimshady
05-12-2003, 18:03
The Biz Essentials help desk for tech is 24hrs. If you call them they will have a look @ it, if the first line team/ CS Team can't help they will pass your fault to second line who will try and get back in touch with you as soon as they can.

Faults dont get resolved unless they get reported, and the second line team although may take some time to get back to you they generally know what their on about. But theres quite a few shinning stars in the first line team who can assist with most problems. if you want the number hitchhiker, drop me a PM. But I take it you have it from the earlier comment.