PDA

View Full Version : Inaccessible web pages

hansi
04-12-2003, 07:30
I have a problem whereby certain web pages will not display. They just appear briefly and then disappear. I have checked my "cookie " settings and they are ok and I can access the sites from work and from a pal's computer using a broadband connection. I have 150k Broadband and I've tried to think what could have caused this problem. Maybe it was a Windows Update? I don't know, but its driving me up the wall :afire: The majority of pages can be viewed normally.

basa
04-12-2003, 08:17
I have a problem whereby certain web pages will not display. They just appear briefly and then disappear. I have checked my "cookie " settings and they are ok and I can access the sites from work and from a pal's computer using a broadband connection. I have 150k Broadband and I've tried to think what could have caused this problem. Maybe it was a Windows Update? I don't know, but its driving me up the wall :afire: The majority of pages can be viewed normally.

Never heard of this one before ?? :confused:

"They just appear and disappear" ?

How long do they remain on screen ? What is left when they have disappeared ? Is there any message in IE's (I assume you are using IE) status bar ? Are you sure the pages are not just hidden by subsequent pages or somehow minimised ?

bopdude
04-12-2003, 08:31
I have had a similar problem in the past when I was using a prog called pop-up stopper, it would sometimes stop certain pages and even stop explorer from starting on the odd occasion, I got rid of it and now use the google bar stopper and no more problems.

Do you have a pop up stopper, and could it be this, try disabling it and see :)

Just a thought :idea:

hansi
04-12-2003, 20:54
Never heard of this one before ?? :confused:

"They just appear and disappear" ?

How long do they remain on screen ? What is left when they have disappeared ? Is there any message in IE's (I assume you are using IE) status bar ? Are you sure the pages are not just hidden by subsequent pages or somehow minimised ?

They do not even get on the screen, I jget a brief glance and gone!
The desktop is left when when they disappear
No Messages (IE6)
No, the pages are not there, minimised or otherwise. It's driving me crackers!

hansi
04-12-2003, 20:56
I have had a similar problem in the past when I was using a prog called pop-up stopper, it would sometimes stop certain pages and even stop explorer from starting on the odd occasion, I got rid of it and now use the google bar stopper and no more problems.

Do you have a pop up stopper, and could it be this, try disabling it and see :)

Just a thought :idea:

Yeah, thanks for that but I had thought of that too, disabled that and disabled Zone Alarm but still can't get the pages, it's infuriating because it's only three or four sites!

abailey152
04-12-2003, 23:49
Yeah, thanks for that but I had thought of that too, disabled that and disabled Zone Alarm but still can't get the pages, it's infuriating because it's only three or four sites!Might be worth installing another browser. Then try to access these sites again. If the same happens, post links to them so others can try. It may be that you have something running you are not immediately aware of.

If this other browser works, then 1) You can access the sites, and 2) You can then see if the sites use a common technology which your other sites do not (flash etc.). Might lead to a fix for IE

abailey152
04-12-2003, 23:53
Just another thought. Have you tried to delete your Temporary Internet Files? Clearing out the cache has fixed weird IE problems for me in the past.

basa
05-12-2003, 08:33
They do not even get on the screen, I jget a brief glance and gone!
The desktop is left when when they disappear
No Messages (IE6)
No, the pages are not there, minimised or otherwise. It's driving me crackers!

:confused: Do you mean your browser window dissappears as well to reveal your desktop ? Or do you mean just a blank browser window is left ??

zovat
05-12-2003, 10:47
Just another thought. Have you tried to delete your Temporary Internet Files? Clearing out the cache has fixed weird IE problems for me in the past.

always a good option - Also - try looking at the page source - just to see if there is actually anything there?...

(Post an example and we can see what the page looks like normally :D )

Dooby
05-12-2003, 11:06
:confused: Do you mean your browser window dissappears as well to reveal your desktop ? Or do you mean just a blank browser window is left ??
I was wondering that, if it is the former that could mean IE is crashing, I had something like that a while ago, and it was because the Java Virtual Machine had got corrupted...

hansi
05-12-2003, 18:06
I was wondering that, if it is the former that could mean IE is crashing, I had something like that a while ago, and it was because the Java Virtual Machine had got corrupted...

how can I fix that please

hansi
05-12-2003, 18:09

the answer is yes to the first question

Dooby
05-12-2003, 18:48
how can I fix that please
i think i fixed it by reinstalling windows ( i do that about once every 6 months anyway ) you MAY be able to do it by doing a windows update, or searching on the microsoft site for a complete download of the Java VM ... or try a different browser ( Opera for example )

abailey152
05-12-2003, 18:54
i think i fixed it by reinstalling windows ( i do that about once every 6 months anyway ) you MAY be able to do it by doing a windows update, or searching on the microsoft site for a complete download of the Java VM ... or try a different browser ( Opera for example )
You might be able to get round MS Java VM problems by installing the proper Java from Sun Microsystems. It is available for Windows.