PDA

View Full Version : Getting IR signals to stb in cabinet

banksider
03-12-2003, 20:24
Hi

My stb (1000 series) is in a cabinet. I'd like to control it with the door closed - at present I have to open the door to control it. I have a Hot Link Pro which controls my video and dvd with no probs but not the stb. I know the signals are non-standard. has anyone got a solution to this??

Thanks

Simon

Stuart W
03-12-2003, 20:30
Might sound daft, but have you tried new batteries?

There's no reason why certain frequencies of infra-red would be shielded by your door (I'm guessing it is glass) as it lets the other infra-red devices work.

paulyoung666
03-12-2003, 20:37
Might sound daft, but have you tried new batteries?

There's no reason why certain frequencies of infra-red would be shielded by your door (I'm guessing it is glass) as it lets the other infra-red devices work.

isnt this a case of the stb using a different system :idea:

Xaccers
03-12-2003, 20:39
isnt this a case of the stb using a different system :idea:

Yeah think so, can someone confirm if the 1000's use irda?
If they do, I think you're stuck (unless you can get an irda version of what you've already got)

Tricky
03-12-2003, 20:40
I know digisenders don't work but on their web site there is a link about an IRDA sender that does work with NTL

http://www.irdasender.net/

from Www.digisender.com
5. Add a 16 channel remote relay system for use with NTL and Telewest. This features an IrDA relay function available in the all new DigiEye product which can be found at irdasender.net 16 channels means that it eliminates interference from neighbours systems.

Mike Harrison
04-12-2003, 00:22
Yes, 1000 STBs use IRDA, which most IR senders won't pass. There is at least one that will (DigiEye).
Another solution might be to use the Red-Eye Translator (http://www.redremote.co.uk) which in conjunction with a cheap IR sender (wired or wireless) and an alternative remote, but this is also probably a bit of overkill.

It may sound silly, but have you considered making a hole in the cabinet...? Need not be an ugly hole - you can get plastic which is jet black in appearance but completely transparent to IR, and maybe you could incorporate a black 'decorative feature' in the door...

banksider
05-12-2003, 21:37
Yes, 1000 STBs use IRDA, which most IR senders won't pass. There is at least one that will (DigiEye).
Another solution might be to use the Red-Eye Translator (http://www.redremote.co.uk) which in conjunction with a cheap IR sender (wired or wireless) and an alternative remote, but this is also probably a bit of overkill.

It may sound silly, but have you considered making a hole in the cabinet...? Need not be an ugly hole - you can get plastic which is jet black in appearance but completely transparent to IR, and maybe you could incorporate a black 'decorative feature' in the door...

I've thought of the low-tech solution but the cabinet wasn't exactly cheap and so this would only be a last resort.

Re Red-Eye - this may be a possibility. I'm looking into it.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Mike Harrison
05-12-2003, 21:58
I've thought of the low-tech solution but the cabinet wasn't exactly cheap and so this would only be a last resort.

Re Red-Eye - this may be a possibility. I'm looking into it.

Thanks for the suggestions.

If you're not averse to a little soldering, you could seperate the receiver module out of Red-Eye and mount it on a short cable outside the cabinet, avoiding the need for an IR repeater for the short distance involved.

Ramrod
05-12-2003, 22:37
My stb won't get the remotes signal if the cordless headphones IR sender is too close to it.....Do you have anything like that on top of the stb?

banksider
06-12-2003, 16:02
If you're not averse to a little soldering, you could seperate the receiver module out of Red-Eye and mount it on a short cable outside the cabinet, avoiding the need for an IR repeater for the short distance involved.

Red Eye looks as though this will be the way to go.

I'll let you know what happens when it's happened.

banksider
17-12-2003, 11:51
Red Eye looks as though this will be the way to go.

I'll let you know what happens when it's happened.

Yes. This worked. My TV is a B&O which remote can now control the stb (Pace 1000) in its cabinet under the TV. I stuck red-eye on the front of the stb and the B&O ir emitter onto the front of red-eye.

garyparson
24-12-2003, 02:59
I have my 1000 in a glass cabinet and it works ok. This isn't meant to be an annoying post, just one to say that you can do it.