PDA

View Full Version : All NTL STB cable modems broken?!

mojo
03-12-2003, 17:09
Anyone noticed that the STBs tend to lock up when you start downloading/uploading a lot? NTL told me that this could be due to a virus that sends out loads of information, but I checked and I'm not infected (it's Windows only anyway, so couldn't affect a FreeBSD box).

The concolusion I have come to is this: all NTL STBs are broken. They all lock up if you start sending and receiving loads of data on many connections, as you would with a P2P app like Kazaa or Bittorrent. I'm going to try to get them to give me a cable modem. Can anyone else confirm this?

MoJo

th'engineer
03-12-2003, 17:18
i do not think that statement is true it depends on the model of STB 1000 and 2000 are great. 4000 thats another story

BTW welcome to the Forum Also to find out whioch model use Up dwn then blue on the remote a menu should come up Ditv1000, 2000, or 4000

Foo Fighter
03-12-2003, 18:28
Yes my 1000 will lock up when its downloading/uploading from multiple sources... p2p software like bitorrent usually does it

if someone presses interactive on the stb you can gaurentee it will crash with mutiple connections

although my 2000 stb never had this bug they tend to have poorer upload speed imho. i've had 3 2000 stbs in the last few years will bb on and all have had really bad upload speed.. my 1000 is great at uploading

mojo
04-12-2003, 18:39
I had a 1000 box but now it's a 4000, both are just as bad (maybe the 4k is worse).

I also noticed that when you are downloading a lot the TV controls are not very responsive. You press TV and about 30 seconds later the menu appears. Changing channel is nearly impossible since it randomly ignores certain digits so you can't dial the right one.

I'm going to phone them now and demand a cable modem, otherwise I'll be forced to go to Sky and BT which would be a damn shame as otherwise NTL are okay :(

MoJo

th'engineer
04-12-2003, 20:05
I had a 1000 box but now it's a 4000, both are just as bad (maybe the 4k is worse).

I also noticed that when you are downloading a lot the TV controls are not very responsive. You press TV and about 30 seconds later the menu appears. Changing channel is nearly impossible since it randomly ignores certain digits so you can't dial the right one.

I'm going to phone them now and demand a cable modem, otherwise I'll be forced to go to Sky and BT which would be a damn shame as otherwise NTL are okay :(

MoJo
Been there with the 1000+ which was great apart from not being able to keep up with changes in levels.

The 4000 only lasted a few weeks before problems became apperent. To be honest the 2000 i am happy with it does need the occasional reboot but has been rock solid.

That is of course till recently, but think that is more down to NTL updates than the Box itself.

It has been very good at renewing the IP until recently.

I have found that the Best thing is to monitor the Menu on the STB. If you have problems find this link (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/signal.html#pacediag) to Robins site is very good even for TV problems

abailey152
04-12-2003, 23:37
Had a 1000 which was okay. Occasional locked up, but my signal levels are not great so I tend to expect some problems.

Then a lightning storm killed my 1000, and I had a 4000. This is useless. TV locks up frequently overnight. BB locks up when downloading/uploading a lot. And the volume is too low.

I have found that the Best thing is to monitor the Menu on the STB. If you have problems find this link (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/signal.html#pacediag)to Robins site is very good even for TV problems
Some good info on there. Thanx for the link!