PDA

View Full Version : NTL phone line broken... they better not charge me!!

Pia
05-06-2006, 12:23
When i had broadband installed i was at work and my mam waited in my house while he did it. Apperently he'd said the phone wire outside was coming away a bit so he'd get someone out to replace it.

Anyway nobody came, and i've had no problems with the phone line apart from the odd bit of fuzzing, which i blamed on the cordless.

Now the little white box is buggered inside the house, i can't plug the phone in cos it seems like it's all messed up inside.
Yesterday the little brown box outside the house has come off and the wires are on the floor and exposing the metal bit (should i be worried about live wires or something).

The cheeky cheeky mares have just told me they will be out tomorrow, but to be prepared to be charged 20-odd quid cos it is probably my fault!!
How dare they! It was obviously a bad installation in the first place or whatever.
And the snotty cow said, if you aren't there when we come round you will be charged again.
Understandable of course, IF i was to just not bother be in when they come round but it's their fault and she was a right snotty witch!:D

---------- Post added at 12:23 ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 ----------

It was my mam that rang for me, since i don't have a phone:erm: and she said oh so when the repair man sees that it's not my fault are you going to refund the line rental for the time it's been off? She said no because it's not our fault:rofl::rolleyes:

Graham M
05-06-2006, 12:38
You should be wary of going near the box because if its exposing phone wires then there CAN be 90 or so volts running through it, probably not enough to seriously injure you, but probably enough to give you a nasty jolt! As for the Coaxial Cable, I think that they're pretty low voltage but don't hold me to that!

handyman
05-06-2006, 13:11
Most of the teesside techs are good pia, If you where not in when they came they'd fix the fault from outside if possible.

They will tidy up inside and out no probs.

I should mention that there are 3 kinds of ntl tech.

inhouse install - employed by ntl and generally 1st rate.
contract install - contractors and don't give 2 stuff's most of the time

Fault techs - employed by ntl and generally good.

Pia
05-06-2006, 19:02
You should be wary of going near the box because if its exposing phone wires then there CAN be 90 or so volts running through it, probably not enough to seriously injure you, but probably enough to give you a nasty jolt! As for the Coaxial Cable, I think that they're pretty low voltage but don't hold me to that!

I think i'll be banning my little lad from that area then:disturbd:

Let's just hope they turn up tomorrow then cos my tumble drier was meant to be here today and i've got a feeling they had rang my house phone even though i gave them my mobile number and when there was no answer didn't bother to show.
I won't be impressed with the catalogue if that's the case, but i'll blame NTL anyway lol:rofl:

Kliro
05-06-2006, 19:28
I don't like the £20 charge if you're not in. Shouldn't it work both ways in that if they don't show, you get £20 credited to your account?

Pia
05-06-2006, 19:53
I don't like the £20 charge if you're not in. Shouldn't it work both ways in that if they don't show, you get £20 credited to your account?
Exactly.

So ntl do a faulty installation, and i eventually get them out to repair it, and rightly so.
But if i'm not in when THEY say they will charge ME £20 odd quid!:Yikes:

Lucky they are coming tomorrow, since i work 4 days a week and that's one of my days off.

Pinkypants
05-06-2006, 20:31
Exactly.

So ntl do a faulty installation, and i eventually get them out to repair it, and rightly so.
But if i'm not in when THEY say they will charge ME £20 odd quid!:Yikes:

Lucky they are coming tomorrow, since i work 4 days a week and that's one of my days off.

That information is not correct at all.

Firstly, NTL charges a £10 call out fee if no one is in when the engineer arrives. You can cancell the appointment by phone (NTL is open 7 days a week) or via mobile text message, you should have been offered a mobile text message when booking the appointment.

Secondly, NTL will only charge a £25 call out fee if you have damaged the equipment yourself or if it is a problem with your equipment causing the problem. For example, if your phone line is not working and the engineer discovers it is your phone causing the problem.

NTL diagnostics are designed to ensure that every possibility has been covered so that you dont get charged for a call out. NTL asks customers to check their own equipments etc and the vast majoirty of call outs are free call outs.

In terms of the problems outlined in the initial post, most repulls / new installations are also free call outs. Again it doesnt sound like it is your fault that has happened and therefore you probably wont be charged for it. However, the agent HAS to legally advise you about any possible call out fees and at the end of the day, it is at the disgression of the engineers to decide whether the problem was caused by yourself or poor installation.

Tsunami60
07-06-2006, 18:23
I think i'll be banning my little lad from that area then:disturbd:

Let's just hope they turn up tomorrow then cos my tumble drier was meant to be here today and i've got a feeling they had rang my house phone even though i gave them my mobile number and when there was no answer didn't bother to show.
I won't be impressed with the catalogue if that's the case, but i'll blame NTL anyway lol:rofl:
Now really upset them and ask if they'll divert your calls to your mobile free of charge ;)

Pia
07-06-2006, 19:34
All fixed now, and i was talking on my mobile to a friend when the bloke was here fixing it and i just happened to mention the charges that i was peed off about, and he said don't worry you won't be charged it's not your fault. lol

So no charges, and no more stray wires in the garden:D