PDA

View Full Version : Cable Length

spacedhopper
03-12-2003, 14:06
If I wanted to move my STB from one room to another, can i just extend it with a length of coax? If i can do this, is there a limit to the length? Basically i don't want to pay £50 call out fee!!

Chris
03-12-2003, 14:42
My SACM is connected to a piece of coax that's about 15 metres long, as it is connected to a box at the front of the house and goes up through the loft, across and down to where the computer is. It suffers no ill effects from this; it worked the first time it was plugged in.

Obviously that's a cable modem and not a STB, but I'd have thought the same principle applies.

Tiptoes
03-12-2003, 15:02
If I wanted to move my STB from one room to another, can i just extend it with a length of coax? If i can do this, is there a limit to the length? Basically i don't want to pay £50 call out fee!!

Cat 5 (STB to router or Computer) is 100m before the start of loss in quality of signal strength, for coaxial cable it depends on a number of factors..

a Good Googliing should give you the answer you require though:-

http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=coaxial+cable+loss+of+signal+strength+maximum+le ngth&spell=1

ntltech32
03-12-2003, 22:27
Depends on a few factors,

if you used your own sattelite cable and had any problems with signal loss and SNR and you called a ntl tech out they would charge you a £50 call out fee..

Running coax not recomened by ntl may cause signal loss it only takes a few DBv out on the return path and you won't get 5 connected and the STB will not operate correctly.

Your best bet is to either stop a ntl tech and ask him nicley for some cable at the lengh you require with each end terminated with f's. Failing that call CS and book a relocate, I belive ntl charge £25 for this, A tech will call and then either run cable's internally or run a new cable from the omni box to the new situated isolator, Plus the tech willl ensure the signal levels are correct before he leaves giving you hassle free viewing.

pellet
19-02-2004, 17:29
Hi there,

According to NTL - Just now, it's a standard £70 charge in the Bromley area for relocations/additions/phone extensions..
So given that fact, and that I need to move my STB, does anyone have any other suggestions, as it seems the legitimate, sensible option is approximately £60 more than i intend to pay to move a small grey box 15 feet.

Help most welcome!

paulyoung666
19-02-2004, 17:35

you gotta be careful playing with coax :eek: , start introducing problems and all hell will break loose , can you leave the modem where it is and just buy a longer patch lead for it ?????????????? :)

good grief , i must clean my glasses , i missed it is a stb :(

Proppinupthebar
19-02-2004, 19:09
I think that if you are looking just to tack on some cable to the end of your existing cable that I would give it a try. If it doesnt work then you can just put it all back to normal. ntltech32 has already mentioned cable, you don't want to use cheap and nasty stuff. Satellite cable will work but its not ideal as cable frequencies are lower than satellite. RG11 is a low loss cable ideal for cable TV. Get a proper F type barrel, and good quality connectors.
The new length will reduce the signal level by a few dBmV, but as long as the extra cable length is not going to be too far it should be OK. The only thing a visiting tech could do extra is if the levels getting to your newly located box aren't hi enough, is change the tap on the splitter going to your house for a higher output level one. Be careful not to put kinks in any of the cables as kinks can produce odd frequency responses in the cable.

Mike Harrison
21-02-2004, 10:41
Think about the distance from your house to the neares green box - a few more metres of competently installed extension is not going to make a significant difference.

paulyoung666
21-02-2004, 10:43
Think about the distance from your house to the neares green box - a few more metres of competently installed extension is not going to make a significant difference.

thats it though it has to be a good job to avoid problems , dodgy connections could cause problems :eek:

Stuartbe
21-02-2004, 11:25

You must ensure that decent coax and f connectors are used as the wrong type of cable can cause an impedence missmatch.

paulyoung666
21-02-2004, 11:30
You must ensure that decent coax and f connectors are used as the wrong type of cable can cause an impedence missmatch.

exactly my point , morning stu :wavey:

Stuartbe
21-02-2004, 11:34
exactly my point , morning stu :wavey:

Morning m8 - :wavey:

I think I am o.k. with my cable extension on the modem. I am using MOD grade coax for the extension :D