PDA

View Full Version : Freeview

douza
29-05-2006, 14:55
Hi

I am having trouble getting freeview as I cant even get a good signal in the house. I have a loft aerial with a spilter attached to feed 3 3 tvs upstairs also it feeds the living room tv downstairs then off the tv downstairs I have 2 more tvs attached. DO I need a better aerial or booster or both. Also will it work by connecting straight into the back of the aerial box downstairs to feed two tvs (kitchen, conservatory). not sure if this is a good setup

Thanks

RealDiamond
01-06-2006, 08:45
Hi

I am having trouble getting freeview as I cant even get a good signal in the house. I have a loft aerial with a spilter attached to feed 3 3 tvs upstairs also it feeds the living room tv downstairs then off the tv downstairs I have 2 more tvs attached. DO I need a better aerial or booster or both. Also will it work by connecting straight into the back of the aerial box downstairs to feed two tvs (kitchen, conservatory). not sure if this is a good setup

Thanks You dont say if any of the TVs have freeview built in or not.
To rule out the aerial you need to connect it directly to a single freeview Box or intergrated digital TV. the closest TV possible, if you cant get a clear signal from freeview box then yes aerial replacement looks likely. if your happy with the picture quality then its not the Aerial .

Boosting and spliting signals bring there own problems as boosting increases the noise as well as the signal level, some boosters can have filters but not all, so wont allways result in better picture just allow longer RF cables to be used.

And i asume you want Every Tv to be able to Watch the one/two channel output from a freeview box if you have it. youll have to do this before 2012 anyway. when no analoge signals will be avalible.
You need to decide were the Primary TV with out freeview IS and put the freeview box there then boost the RF feed then split back to all the other TVs Videorecorders DVDrecorders so on like normal
hope this helps.

douza
01-06-2006, 23:28
Hi thanks for your reply.

The Tv in the kitchen has built in freeview so its mainly that I want a good signal to. I hope I described the setup ok not sure if I did so here goes..

The aerial in the loft has a splitter which feeds two tvs upstairs (no freeview), the pc (freeview but signal not great, not sure if this is pc as its a bit slow so it stops now and again) then it also feeds striaght to the wall plate in the living room (which was the main point before the splitter) then from the back of that wall plate another cable goes into conservorty under floor (no freeview at min) then from that wall plate goes back out into the kitchen again under floor into a tv with built in freeview. and its this tv that has a really weak signal. I think its becuase its at the ned of a very long run. I have ordered a 6 way booster off ebay will this work it was only a £10 so doubt its a good un.

Thanks

6950rpm
04-06-2006, 01:10
After recently installing freeview at home myself, here's a couple of pointers...

Use really good quality cable between the aerial and freeview box

If you're going to use a booster, then mount this as close to the aerial as possible

and if you can't get ch5 (or anything else from MuxA) then move your Win2k server out of the loft as it's causing too much inteference*

* This probably wont apply to most people!

Graham M
04-06-2006, 02:44
Also if you do get a booster, try to make sure that its marked as "Freeview compatible" or similar.