PDA

View Full Version : Phone Dead!!!!

budwieser
27-05-2006, 18:53
:erm: About 2 hours ago, i called cs and asked them to remove the call barring as we do not have students anymore, 5 Minutes ago, the phone rang once and nobody was on the end of the line and now, we can`t dial out or even get a dialling tone!, could these things be related at all bearing in mind that we enabled call barring last year and couldn`t use the phone for 8 days!!!!

Paul K
27-05-2006, 19:56
No dial tone at all? Have you another phone you can use on your main/ first socket to check for problems?

budwieser
27-05-2006, 20:13
No dial tone at all? Have you another phone you can use on your main/ first socket to check for problems?

Yes mate, still no dial tone.
We had this problem when we first asked for call barring and we couldn`t use the `phone for 8 days!! NTL said they would credit us 1 month`s worth but they never did. I need to get this sorted out as our daughter is in Hospital at the moment.!:( It never rains, But it pours.! Any help would be much appreciated.
Neil.

hairy_mick
27-05-2006, 20:26
looks like some ones pressed the wrong switch oops

monkey2468
27-05-2006, 21:35
If someone calls you, but doesn't hangup the phone afterwards, it will block your line until the call is released. Call your line from a mobile, is it engaged?

Fingy
27-05-2006, 21:48
Unplug all phones and extentions from the sockets for about 10 mins, this will mean there is no noise on the line and should clear it for you.

Tsunami60
27-05-2006, 22:04
I've had a similar problem with my phoneline too.
I'm getting no dial tone although if i ring my number with my mobile, it seems to clear it.
Saying that, i've had a dead line since Friday when i found out my sisters had been trying to call me all day! even the voicemail wouldn't kick in.

Can't fault NTL for sending out an engineer bank holiday Monday though :D

Zee
27-05-2006, 22:20
I know this isn't ntl: related, but its phone related.

I have a BT line, lets say someone calls and then doesn't hang up, they just leave the line open constantly, how do you disconnect them without having to ring BT to disconnect it?

monkey2468
27-05-2006, 22:23
I know this isn't ntl: related, but its phone related.

I have a BT line, lets say someone calls and then doesn't hang up, they just leave the line open constantly, how do you disconnect them without having to ring BT to disconnect it?

I'm not sure you can.

Zee
27-05-2006, 22:24
I'm not sure you can.

Damn, sometimes people do that, they're so thick you can hear then talking not knowing they've left the line open.

budwieser
27-05-2006, 22:45
If someone calls you, but doesn't hangup the phone afterwards, it will block your line until the call is released. Call your line from a mobile, is it engaged?

Dialed it from my mobile and it rung, cancelled the call and then tried to use the phone, no dial tone!!:mad: :mad: :mad:
I think that someone did push the wrong button.!!!!!!!!!!
Hairy Mick is spot on! But can he sort it out for me? Please!:disturbd: :erm: ;)

Tsunami60
30-05-2006, 20:10
Well the engineer came out yesterday, changed the connection in the box outside, checked the street box and said the phone was ok and that he couldn't do anything unless he was there when the phone wasn't working.

Funny how it wasn't working when i checked it that morning....maybe he was in a hurry as it was BH?
Phone was fine this morning, but is now not working again :mad: all i'm getting a a horrid crackling on the line that even the mobile didn't clear.
What with this and an ongoing problem with a freezing picture, i'm wondering if i'd be better going to Sky and BT!!

uk1trev
30-05-2006, 20:50
Sounds like some of the problems that I have had get to you when its starts dialing the police at 2am and they come around and wake you up

you maybe right to go back to BT / SKY that what I will be doing this mouth

good luck Bud

m0u5e
30-05-2006, 20:58
my ntl phone hasnt worked for months (no dial tone and no audible ring although it appears to ring if you call it)
ntl assured me there was no fault and the problem must be internal and would charge for an engineer to visit
i think i'l try your suggestion fingy cheaper than an engineer anyhow :)

monkey2468
30-05-2006, 21:28
my ntl phone hasnt worked for months (no dial tone and no audible ring although it appears to ring if you call it)
ntl assured me there was no fault and the problem must be internal and would charge for an engineer to visit
i think i'l try your suggestion fingy cheaper than an engineer anyhow :)

If you have tried another corded phone with no extentions and still have ndt, then you will not be charged.

Nedkelly
30-05-2006, 21:42
;) Call ntl and get a engineer out if was caused by someone pressing the wrong button this needs to be logged so they can find out who did it :( as for charging customers i only charge a cust when they have caused the fault .Alot of telephone faults i would not charge for :)

m0u5e
31-05-2006, 08:54
Hi again.
Tried fingys suggestion (unplugging all phones for 10 mins),then tried the one corded phone from master socket(tried 2 different phones just in case). Unfortunately still no dial tone and it dosnt actually ring audibly in the house if i call it on my mobile although it sounds like its ringing when you call.
Thanks for the ideas though people, it was more than i got from ntl.

Tsunami60
01-06-2006, 09:46
Result!

Had a 2nd engineer out this morning as the phone died again Tuesday evening, it did come back but with a terrible crackle.
Seems the cable in the main box is damaged, only problem now is the earliest they can fix it is 13th June :mad: unless they get a cancellation.

Shame the 1st enginner failed to pick this up 4 days ago :rolleyes:

Tsunami60
15-06-2006, 23:11
I hope you managed to get your phoneline working again m0u5e?

Mine is back to normal now :)
I was told i would need a cable repull but when the guys came out Tuesday they said there was no need for one as it was the wires being connected incorrectly that was the problem. Also, i need not have been without a phone for that long had the previous engineers reported it as such.

To be honest i'm fuming, even more so now i read someone on the forum had NTL installed the day after they rang them, seems the new customers are treated better then the long standing ones.

m0u5e
17-06-2006, 10:50
Hi Tsunami60.
Glad you resolved your phone problem eventually,i didn't.I had it disconnected as i have a BT line anyway and couldnt see the point of having it repaired.The massively annoying factor for me is that had i realised 18 months ago that i could have the telephone unbundled /disconnected i would have saved myself from paying 180 pounds in useless phoneline rental :mad: . I accept that the error was mainly mine for assuming i HAD to have the phoneline :o: but i'm still not happy that i wasnt informed of this possibility when i originally reported the fault and told them i was calling on my bt line....
I only discovered this after calling ntl three times..the first time i put myself through to the phone faults dept via the button pressing options and when they eventually answered they cut me off! The second time i waited to speak to a customer services person who put me through to the faults dept and i got cut off once more! I was rather annoyed by now and the third time i waited to speak to a customer services person and told them i wanted to CANCEL (oh yes the magic word) .This seemed to make all the difference and was suddenly getting treated a lot better . The guy i spoke to told me i had the option to have the line disconnected and offered to compensate me with 6 months back dated phoneline rental credited to my account to ease my distress...i decided this offer was better than simply cancelling (for now at least) but as i still have other unresolved bb issues i will probably cancel eventually anyway...
Its a result of sorts i suppose.
Tsunami60 i hope you let them know how unsatisfied you feel with the service,but glad its all working for now. :)