PDA

View Full Version : The anyone but England thread!

Pages : [1] 2 3

TheBlueRaja
27-05-2006, 14:33
Hi All,
Thought i would start a thread around the World Cup for all the Welsh, Irish, Scottish, well whoever supporters out there, who ARENT from England and to ask who you will be supporting come the World Cup apart from whoever's playing England (if your from a home nation)?

Persoanlly im going for T&T as you can probably tell, why? Well they are big underdogs and a large majority of their players play in Scotland, two of them for my beloved Falkirk.

So who are you supporting then?

Russ
27-05-2006, 14:44
Part of me REALLY wants to see England crash and burn, followed by weeks of blaming the players, the pitch, the manager, the FA, Saddam Hussein, the incompletion of the new Wembley Stadium, Mystic Meg, my next door neighbour and Bamber Gascoigne (the guy who used to present University Challenge).

But deep down, out of all the teams taking part, I would rather see an England win.

TheBlueRaja
27-05-2006, 14:45
Part of me REALLY wants to see England crash and burn, followed by weeks of blaming the players, the pitch, the manager, the FA, Saddam Hussein, the incompletion of the new Wembley Stadium, Mystic Meg, my next door neighbour and Bamber Gascoigne (the guy who used to present University Challenge).

But deep down, out of all the teams taking part, I would rather see an England win.

So we can have another 50 years of them banging on about 66 and 06, no thanks...

Although i appreciate your choice, i just can stomach it personally.

Derek
27-05-2006, 14:46
I'm another for T&T to do well.

Not so much the England team but seeing the English Broadcasting Corporation are already starting to go overboard on the coverage.

Still it might be an idea for another competition, taking bets on how long it is into the commentary that 1966 is mentioned (It was 7 minutes last time), how long before Rooneys injury is blamed for a loss and for the 1st football hooligans to be described as 'British' instead of English.

Russ
27-05-2006, 14:51
So we can have another 50 years of them banging on about 66 and 06, no thanks...

Although i appreciate your choice, i just can stomach it personally.

The lesser of 2 evils mate! And no matter how they do next month, we'll still be getting 1966 rammed down our throats for years to come...

However if you're asking who I'd want to win apart from England, I'll go for Dutch win.

---------- Post added at 14:51 ---------- Previous post was at 14:47 ----------

Not so much the England team but seeing the English Broadcasting Corporation are already starting to go overboard on the coverage.

Still it might be an idea for another competition, taking bets on how long it is into the commentary that 1966 is mentioned (It was 7 minutes last time), how long before Rooneys injury is blamed for a loss and for the 1st football hooligans to be described as 'British' instead of English.

And should they be well behaved, the papers will instead tell how good the 'England fans' were :D

TheBlueRaja
27-05-2006, 14:53

For any England fans looking in and thinking were being a bit racist here - right there in that post is why I dont and most of the people i personally know, dont want England to win.

The thought of Motty dribbling over Rooney, at least in the early stages of the competition, has at least been avoided.

But your right - get the stopwatch out - i'd be VERY suprised if the even make it to kick off.

The lesser of 2 evils mate! And no matter how they do next month, we'll still be getting 1966 rammed down our throats for years to come...

However if you're asking who I'd want to win apart from England, I'll go for Dutch win.

Dutch are a good call actually, never met a Dutch person who i didnt like and been over there many a time. I'll be keeping an eye out for them anyway thats for sure.

ikthius
27-05-2006, 19:55
well I love to watch brasil, but I am going for Australia, cause I loved it over there.

that's mainly why, but I would love to see either:
Holland
Japan
South Korea
Togo
T & T
Australia
Switzerland
Sweden

in fact any team apart from England,

I am only 31 I don't want to have it rammed down my throat if they win again, and have the rest of my life listening to the media go on and on and on and on and on about it.....

ik

sir_drinks_alot
27-05-2006, 21:48
wow you lot are going to be so Disappointed come July 9th :D

Chris
27-05-2006, 21:54
Thread title edited to something a little closer to the truth. :angel: :D

Russ
27-05-2006, 21:55
Yes indeed :) ;)

Mal
27-05-2006, 21:55
Thread title edited to something a little closer to the truth. :angel: :D
Well done! :rofl:

Chris
27-05-2006, 21:56
Yes indeed :) ;)

Indeed indeed. :D

Russ
27-05-2006, 22:00
Abuse of power eh? And I said I wanted England to win!

The title shall go back to (and remain) as it was :)

You can have your glory when England win the World Cup (which you obviously will, right? I mean, it's your time right?? :D ) so we'll have our fun now :)

We are of course free to support whoever we want.... :angel:

TheBlueRaja
27-05-2006, 22:12
Did you see that Charity fix tonight - my god it was nothing but England clips from 66!

What an embarassment, that was even worse than the Beeb and thats saying something.

Roll on the Penalty shootouts!

Derek
28-05-2006, 10:13
If anyone is interested in seeing the guidelines for commentators see below.

BBC World Cup Guidelines for commentary team.

1 -Within 1 minute of kick off in the opening match (Germany v Costa Rica), the commentator must mention England.

2 - Regardless of what two teams are contesting the final, England have to be mentioned within the first minute.

3 - The commentator shall refer to the Falkland Isles in passing at some point in the match if England play Argentina.

4 - Whenever a hat trick is scored, comparisons with Geoff Hurst will be made within seconds of the third goal hitting the net.

5 - Should England wear their red jerseys, then '1966' should be mentioned approximately 20 times.

6 - 1966 must be mentioned approximately 10 times per match, or on 4 or 5 occasions for matches not involving England.

7 - Prior to the captain of the winning team lifting the trophy, the commentator will mention Bobby Moore - and 1966.

8 - When Germany are playing, they must be referred to as being arrogant by the commentator on at least 14 occasions. This must refer to their style, their passing, their haircuts and their general footballing ability.

9 - Should England play Germany, mentions of Winston Churchill, Dambusters, the Luftwaffe and Adolf Hitler will be compulsory - and 1966.

10 - All Scottish members of our commentary team must continue to refer to England as "we" and "us".

11 - We must ensure that nationlistic stereotypes are adhered to. Of course, the Germans are arrogant. The Spanish are bottlers, The Ivory Coast are fast but bad at defending, The Angolans are disorganised, The Argentineans are cheats and the French are only good because their best players play in England.

12 - For matches not involving England, we must only discuss the players that are playing in England. (eg - Holland v Argentina should be referred to as Van Nistelroy v Crespo).

13 - The phrase " Bulldog spirit" should be used as often as possible.

14 - Each match involving England should begin with the phrase "England Expects."

15 - Should any player be involved in an injury that involves the loss of teeth, then references to Nobby Stiles and 1966 are compulsory.

16 - If in any doubt, mention 1966.

17 - Praise all of the stunning new stadiums in Germany but emphasise that they lack the presence of Wembley, the spiritual home of football since 1966.

18 - Commentators should feel free to imitate the style of Kenneth Wolstenholme, the hero of 1966.

19 - Should any team feature brothers playing together, then Jackie and Bobby Charlton should be mentioned.

20 - When England bow out after the first stage, we must emphasise that it is a massive blow to football and a serious loss to the World Cup.

Russ
28-05-2006, 10:17
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Post of the centuary!!

And SO true :D

Mal
28-05-2006, 13:30
You're only jealous! ;)

Russ
28-05-2006, 17:11
You're only jealous! ;)

If it was only jealousy then we'd get over it quick enough - but no, the rest of us are tired of the way the media glorifies everything England does and the BBC's incredible biased approach is what makes us happy to watch another failure at the World Cup for Sven's men :D

Chris
28-05-2006, 19:25
You lot ... your name's not on the trophy and it never will be. Get over it. :p:

Stuart
28-05-2006, 19:28
You're only jealous! ;)

If it was only jealousy then we'd get over it quick enough - but no, the rest of us are tired of the way the media glorifies everything England does and the BBC's incredible biased approach is what makes us happy to watch another failure at the World Cup for Sven's men :D

Simple answer: Don't watch the BBC.

Russ
28-05-2006, 19:30
You lot ... your name's not on the trophy and it never will be. Get over it. :p:

We'd love to get over it! But when we get England rammed down our throats, that just ain't happening!

Simple answer: Don't watch the BBC.

Not-so-simple answer: I pay my licence fee like anyone else!

Nidge
29-05-2006, 18:51

I agree with you on that one Russ, the FA is run by a bunch of toe suckers along with the England team, England might get through the qualifying stages but that will be it.

TheBlueRaja
30-05-2006, 20:57
Did you see that Charity fix tonight - my god it was nothing but England clips from 66!

What an embarassment, that was even worse than the Beeb and thats saying something.

Roll on the Penalty shootouts!

LOL, as predicted... England miss another penalty...

No bottle!

Russ
30-05-2006, 21:01
Nice dive by Gerrard, Cisse must have taught him that one....

danielf
30-05-2006, 21:02
:D

:tu: Hooray for the Oranjes. Hup Holland :)

TheDaddy
30-05-2006, 21:04
Much more of Ian Wright and the England band and I may well change allegiances

TheBlueRaja
30-05-2006, 21:11
Nice dive by Gerrard, Cisse must have taught him that one....

Suprised to see that by Gerrard though - didnt have him down as a cheat.

Russ
30-05-2006, 21:15
Me too, I've always seen him as being more professional than most.

gazzae
30-05-2006, 21:53
He's been diving all season.

What about the robot though. I'm starting to like Crouch

iadom
30-05-2006, 22:17
Suprised to see that by Gerrard though - didnt have him down as a cheat.
It looked like a dive to me initially from sideways on, however if you see the picture from behind the goal the Magyar definately drags Gerrards left foot away.

TheBlueRaja
31-05-2006, 16:46
It looked like a dive to me initially from sideways on, however if you see the picture from behind the goal the Magyar definately drags Gerrards left foot away.

Away fella - it was a blatant dive - even the Beeb (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2006/teams/england/5033004.stm) said so...

Former England striker Ian Wright defended Steven Gerrard's "dive" to earn a penalty in the win over Hungary.

Replays showed there was no contact from Czabo Feher on Gerrard but Wright did not condemn the England midfielder.

"Other teams will do it against us, so why don't we? It will happen to us again, so we should," he said during the BBC's Match of The Day coverage.

gazzae
31-05-2006, 17:06
"There's nothing worse with diving. It annoys me. I don't think there is anything worse than seeing not just a foreign player but any player diving when no one's been anywhere near him.

"If I saw a team-mate doing it I would definitely have a word. It's happened here at Liverpool a couple of times, where players have gone down too easily, and the manager has said: 'Get up, get on with it, don't be doing that. It's wrong'.

"I think managers and captains, leaders and experienced players have a responsibility to grab people after a training session or a game and say 'None of that. That doesn't happen here.'"

Steven Gerrard, Daily Mail, April 1

Was this a wee April fools joke by Stevie?

TheBlueRaja
01-06-2006, 11:32
:D BBC Linky... (http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/worldcup/2006/05/anyone_seen_a_trinidad_and_tob_1.html)

We can reveal that there is indeed a severe shortage of T&T shirts in the UK - and it's mainly down to the Scots.

Stacy-Marie Ishmael, spokeswoman for the Soca Warriors Supporters' Club says it's because no fewer than six of the Trinidad and Tobago squad are playing their club football in Scotland.

The fact that St Johnstone striker Jason Scotland (no surprises that official replicas of his jersey have been selling like hot cakes) is one of them, and the fortuitous acronym of T&T, means they have a wide following among Scottish fans.
Nothing of course to do with the fact the Soca Warriors have been drawn against England in Group B...

Mon the T&T :tu:

TheBlueRaja
01-06-2006, 14:43
Just in case you missed these "Classic" England moments from 2004.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-krM6erRs7M&search=england%20penalty

Nice tune too... :D

iadom
01-06-2006, 17:26
'Stacy-Marie Ishmael, spokeswoman for the Soca Warriors Supporters' Club says it's because no fewer than six of the Trinidad and Tobago squad are playing their club football in Scotland.'

Tells you all you need to know about the quality of the Scottish leagues.:p:

TheBlueRaja
01-06-2006, 17:33
'Stacy-Marie Ishmael, spokeswoman for the Soca Warriors Supporters' Club says it's because no fewer than six of the Trinidad and Tobago squad are playing their club football in Scotland.'

Tells you all you need to know about the quality of the Scottish leagues.:p:

Marvin Andrews and Russell Latapy are not players to be taken likely which i hope to hell you'll find out to your detriment very shortly.

Oh and Scotland has more than one league you know.

Chris
01-06-2006, 18:51
Marvin Andrews and Russell Latapy are not players to be taken likely which i hope to hell you'll find out to your detriment very shortly.

:rofl:

Well, would hate to dsagree ... :p:

Oh and Scotland has more than one league you know. TBH, the quality of those leagues is so poor it's easy to forget. :shrug:

TheBlueRaja
01-06-2006, 19:13
[quote=TheBlueRaja]Marvin Andrews and Russell Latapy are not players to be taken likely which i hope to hell you'll find out to your detriment very shortly.[reply]

Well, would hate to dsagree ... :p:

TBH, the quality of those leagues is so poor it's easy to forget. :shrug:

Cant argue with any of that :D

DocDutch
01-06-2006, 20:38
Dutch are a good call actually, never met a Dutch person who i didnt like and been over there many a time. I'll be keeping an eye out for them anyway thats for sure.

Cheers BR :) but looking forwards watching the beeb or ITv's coverage of the Dutch games....gonna be horrible I wish I could receive dutch tv channels here in Northpants

TheBlueRaja
01-06-2006, 20:57
Yeah, welcome to World Cup hell mate - its England, England, England over here irrespective where you live in the UK.

Edited to add: Not a bad result tonight as well against Mexico - good start!

danielf
01-06-2006, 21:08
Edited to add: Not a bad result tonight as well against Mexico - good start!

Indeed, especially considering Van Basten pretty much played a B team :)

DocDutch
01-06-2006, 21:10
Daniel helemaal mee accoord :)

for those that read dutch
http://sport.fok.nl/voetbal/nieuws/24997 (Friendly)
http://sport.fok.nl/voetbal/nieuws/24995 (Under 21's)

danielf
01-06-2006, 21:14
Daniel helemaal mee accoord :)

for those that read dutch
http://sport.fok.nl/voetbal/nieuws/24997 (Friendly)
http://sport.fok.nl/voetbal/nieuws/24995 (Under 21's)

Toch had de Hunter mee gemoeten. Laat de giraf maar thuis. ;)

Russ
01-06-2006, 21:32
Yeah, welcome to World Cup hell mate - its England, England, England over here irrespective where you live in the UK.

And if you object then you're obviously 'jealous', sour grapes etc etc :rolleyes:

DocDutch
01-06-2006, 21:38
I think the Hunter as you call it is still a bit too unexperienced in an Oranje shirt Daniel, but I do agree with you.

Mal
01-06-2006, 22:21
And if you object then you're obviously 'jealous', sour grapes etc etc :rolleyes:Don't you just hate it when people ignore the smilies, like this one ---> ;)

Russ
01-06-2006, 22:32
I wasn't referring to you ----> ;) :D

iadom
08-06-2006, 10:51
So now we know the true reason.:D

http://tinyurl.com/p7knj

pedantic
08-06-2006, 11:20
"You don't find many atheists during penalty shoot-outs," said a Church spokesman.

How true is that ! :D

TheBlueRaja
08-06-2006, 13:00
So now we know the true reason.:D

http://tinyurl.com/p7knj

The doctor's theory may help to explain why Trinidad and Tobago football shirts have sold out in Scottish sports shops in advance of their Group B match with England.

Nothing to do with most of their players playing here and one of them actually being called Jason SCOTLAND.

Scotland is going to this years world cup.

What the hell are we paying these people for.

orangebird
08-06-2006, 13:13
So, those you of that are Irish, Welsh and Scottish etc - if your team had ever one the world cup, what would you have done? Had a quiet civilised drink and decided not to mention it ever again, let alone have any hope or dreams of ever winning it again? :rolleyes:

TheDaddy
08-06-2006, 13:22
So, those you of that are Irish, Welsh and Scottish etc - if your team had ever one the world cup, what would you have done? Had a quiet civilised drink and decided not to mention it ever again, let alone have any hope or dreams of ever winning it again? :rolleyes:

To be fair it only seems to be since the early 1990's that we seem to have become obsessed with winning the thing again, I don't seem to remember us making much fuss about it before.

orangebird
08-06-2006, 13:31
To be fair it only seems to be since the early 1990's that we seem to have become obsessed with winning the thing again, I don't seem to remember us making much fuss about it before.

And I don't see why Engalnd fans should be derided/despised/set upon for doing so. The only reason I can see for the rest of British football fans with the CHILDISH mentality of supporting anyone else but england is pure jealousy. They can't even qualify, let alone have a hope of winning the sodding thing. Which England do. a ha ha ah ah a ah ah ah aha ha. :monkey: :rolleyes:

TheBlueRaja
08-06-2006, 13:35

For any England fans looking in and thinking were being a bit racist here - right there in that post is why I dont and most of the people i personally know, dont want England to win.

The thought of Motty dribbling over Rooney, at least in the early stages of the competition, has at least been avoided.

But your right - get the stopwatch out - i'd be VERY suprised if the even make it to kick off.

Enough said, your reply though seems to have been the most childish in the whole thread, why should i be expected to support England?

orangebird
08-06-2006, 13:35
Enough said, your reply though seems to have been the most childish in the whole thread.
Are you replying to yourself?

TheBlueRaja
08-06-2006, 13:40
Are you replying to yourself?

No i was quoting from dezzo earlier in the thread and including my response to his point.

Given it looked like you had overlooked earlier points made.

orangebird
08-06-2006, 13:46
Enough said, your reply though seems to have been the most childish in the whole thread, why should i be expected to support England?

Because England, like Scotland is part of the British Isles? Love thy neighbour and all that?

Even if you're not into all that, I do find it immensely childish to have the 'anyone but england' mentality. If England weren't in it this year, I'd support Spain (my dad lives there) or (if they'd qualified) ROI. Mothers team.

TheBlueRaja
08-06-2006, 13:50
Because England, like Scotland is part of the British Isles? Love thy neighbour and all that?

So you will be supporting France then too, given that they are your neighbours.

British Isles goes for nothing.

orangebird
08-06-2006, 13:56
So you will be supporting France then too, given that they are your neighbours.

British Isles goes for nothing.

No, I added to my post. As you'll see, I wouldn't have the 'anyone but scotland/ireland/wales' train of thought. How immature would that be?
I'd support Ireland because I'm half Irish, or Spain because that's where my dad lives. :shrug:

TheDaddy
08-06-2006, 13:59
No, I added to my post. As you'll see, I wouldn't have the 'anyone but scotland/ireland/wales' train of thought. How immature would that be?
I'd support Ireland because I'm half Irish, or Spain because that's where my dad lives. :shrug:

I like Spain, any country that stops work at mid day for a bit of a snooze is fine by me :)

TheBlueRaja
08-06-2006, 14:00
Well, each to their own i suppose, i would support any of them apart from England to be honest, for the reasons outlined above.

Just remember that this is football we are talking about here, not a "we all hate the english" thing.

After all, i detest Manchester utd, but i dont hate the people of Manchester.

---------- Post added at 14:00 ---------- Previous post was at 14:00 ----------

I like Spain, any country that stops work at mid day for a bit of a snooze is fine by me :)

:tu: :p:

gazzae
08-06-2006, 14:01
I work with a guy from Slovakia I asked him if he would be supporting the Czech Republic at the World Cup. He nearly fell of his chair laughing.

BTW OB if believe in this philosophy how come you weren't supporting Arsenal in the European cup final?

orangebird
08-06-2006, 14:04
I work with a guy from Slovakia I asked him if he would be supporting the Czech Republic at the World Cup. He nearly fell of his chair laughing.

BTW OB if believe in this philosophy how come you weren't supporting Arsenal in the European cup final?

Because most of them are french?

TheBlueRaja
08-06-2006, 14:05
LOL,
I think that sums it up....

gazzae
08-06-2006, 14:08
Because most of them are french?
:confused:
3 out of 14 Players were french.

orangebird
08-06-2006, 14:11
LOL,
I think that sums it up....

Nearly. Also, I needed them to lose to have a hope of my team getting into the champions league, so i'm not going to support them, am I?

However, England winning the world cup is of no consequence to Scotland at all, so the reasons are not really comparable.

gazzae
08-06-2006, 14:13
Nearly. Also, I needed them to lose to have a hope of my team getting into the champions league, so i'm not going to support them, am I?

However, England winning the world cup is of no consequence to Scotland at all, so the reasons are not really comparable.

So when Spurs couldn't finish 4th you supported Arsenal?

TheBlueRaja
08-06-2006, 14:13

Yes they are, they're all English :rofl: (Joke!)

orangebird
08-06-2006, 14:15
So when Spurs couldn't finish 4th you supported Arsenal?

Err, no, I continue to support Spurs.... :erm: :dozey:

TheDaddy
08-06-2006, 14:16
Yes they are, they're all English :rofl: (Joke!)

Apart from Owen Hargreaves, not only is he crap he is not even English :)

gazzae
08-06-2006, 14:18
Err, no, I continue to support Spurs.... :erm: :dozey:

In the european cup final. :banghead:

Spurs and Arsenal have a big rivalry hence you wanted Barcelona to win.

England and Scotland have a big sporting rivalry, hence scottish people don't want to see England win.

Whats the difference?

orangebird
08-06-2006, 14:21
In the european cup final. :banghead:

Spurs and Arsenal have a big rivalry hence you wanted Barcelona to win.

England and Scotland have a big sporting rivalry, hence scottish people don't want to see England win.

Whats the difference?

The difference being, that if Arsenal won the euro cup, Spurs wouldn't have qualified, 4th place or not. What the ****'s results were affected Spurs. England winning thw world cup has NO EFFECT on Scotland for any furture tournaments. What bit don't you get?

gazzae
08-06-2006, 14:23
The difference being, that if Arsenal won the euro cup, Spurs wouldn't have qualified, 4th place or not. What the ****'s results were affected Spurs. England winning thw world cup has NO EFFECT on Scotland for any furture tournaments. What bit don't you get?

Are you forgetting Spurs finished 5th?

The final had no consequence to Spurs as they had already cocked it up.

TheBlueRaja
08-06-2006, 14:40

Who cares - C'MON THE T&T!!!! :p:

Nugget
08-06-2006, 14:45

What, Togo & Tunisia? How weird are you - they're never going to qualify for the second round ;) :mad:

TheDaddy
08-06-2006, 14:46

Aren't you just highlighting how poor the Scottish League is by referring to how many of these mercenarie's are plying their trade in your leagues ;) :D

TheBlueRaja
08-06-2006, 15:44
What, Togo & Tunisia? How weird are you - they're never going to qualify for the second round ;) :mad:

What gave it away? Was it the sig, the avatar? :D

They are THE rank outsiders to win anything at the world cup (1000/1), chances are they will get humped in every game they play in but, two of their player play for my club so its only right i support them.

SO COME ON THE SOCA WARRIORS!!!!

---------- Post added at 15:44 ---------- Previous post was at 15:34 ----------

Aren't you just highlighting how poor the Scottish League is by referring to how many of these mercenarie's are plying their trade in your leagues ;) :D

The Scottish league is a pile of poo, thats been known for years. Its been held back by the dominance of two big clubs who buy all the best Scottish talent from other clubs on the cheap (as clubs in Scotland need all the money thay can get as they cannot afford to hold onto players) and then have them sitting on the bench at the expense of foreign players.

Add to that the bottom feeding cartel that is the SPL who vote simply with their best interests at heart at the expense of the rest of the leagues and there is not much we can do.

Its a vicious circle that serves only Celtic and Rangers.

Here's an example of what i mean, i support Falkirk, yet in Falkirk town centre there is a Rangers shop directly on the high street punting Rangers gear to all the glory hunters who want it, yet Falkirk struggle with (until very recently) an out of town shop as we cannot afford to set up shop in the town centre as we have had to spend money on a new stadium just to get into the SPL. So kids from all over Scotland grow up with Rangers and Celtic on their doorstep and local clubs get overlooked.

Its a bloody disgrace.

Russ
08-06-2006, 18:56
And I don't see why Engalnd fans should be derided/despised/set upon for doing so. The only reason I can see for the rest of British football fans with the CHILDISH mentality of supporting anyone else but england is pure jealousy. They can't even qualify, let alone have a hope of winning the sodding thing. Which England do. a ha ha ah ah a ah ah ah aha ha. :monkey: :rolleyes:

Aaaand one of these days I'm sure you'll grow up ;) :D

As I've said before, I genuinely wish England well but when the papers (the same ones I pay my money for) are crammed wall-to-wall with England, knowing fully weel that if they were out and Wales/Scotland/NI were in, the amount of coverage would drop infinately.

If there were regional versions on the dailies available, so the English versions could carry on with their usual jingoism and the rest of us could be left in peace then you wouldn't hear any complaints from the rest of us.

Typically it usually seems to be the English who can't see this...

TheDaddy
08-06-2006, 18:59

As I've said before, I genuinely wish England well but when the papers (the same ones I pay my money for) are crammed wall-to-wall with England, knowing fully weel that if they were out and Wales/Scotland/NI were in, the amount of coverage would drop infinately.

If there were regional versions on the dailies available, so the English versions could carry on with their usual jingoism and the rest of us could be left in peace then you wouldn't hear any complaints from the rest of us.

Have Wales ever been in, within living memory? :)

Russ
08-06-2006, 19:01
1958 - Pele put us out :grind: :D

But still, you're not going to be the type of England supporter who ignores criticism of their own country by attacking another?? :D

Chris
08-06-2006, 19:04

Actually most if not all of the national papers do have regional variations. ;)

Russ
08-06-2006, 19:05
Actually most if not all of the national papers do have regional variations. ;)

Good - there's no reason not to then :)

If the English versons did what they do now, and left the other regions relatively free of the jingoism, the world would be a much happier place :D

TheDaddy
08-06-2006, 19:09
1958 - Pele put us out :grind: :D

But still, you're not going to be the type of England supporter who ignores criticism of their own country by attacking another?? :D

All I am saying is that considering we let the three best teams Wales could cobble together join our leagues you should stop being so ungrateful and get behind England :D

gazzae
08-06-2006, 19:45

Don't you?

We get a Northern Irish edition of the sun, mirror etc.

Russ
08-06-2006, 20:27
All I am saying is that considering we let the three best teams Wales could cobble together join our leagues you should stop being so ungrateful and get behind England :D

And the worst thing is you really do seem to believe that :D

Don't you?

We get a Northern Irish edition of the sun, mirror etc.

Yeah we get our own version of some of them.

Legendary_PSR
08-06-2006, 20:34
As I've said before, I genuinely wish England well but when the papers (the same ones I pay my money for) are crammed wall-to-wall with England,

it would annoy me less if the stories they put in were different. on the front and back page of the mirror, you got rooney stuff. then, the next to back pages are about rooney. then, you've also got another 2 pages spread on the same damn thing about 10 pages in.

and it isn't really much different to yesterday's paper

Russ
08-06-2006, 20:38
it would annoy me less if the stories they put in were different. on the front and back page of the mirror, you got rooney stuff. then, the next to back pages are about rooney. then, you've also got another 2 pages spread on the same damn thing about 10 pages in.

and it isn't really much different to yesterday's paper

Agreed 100% - I don't doubt there's a market for having the same thing being told about your national team over and over again (plus an article in the sport section in case you forget) but please keep it where it belongs - the other side of the Severn bridge and south of Hadrian's wall!

TheDaddy
08-06-2006, 20:46
The real problem is the length of time it takes for the tournament to start, all the hacks have nothing else to write about, lazy journalism really.

Russ
08-06-2006, 20:48
The real problem is the length of time it takes for the tournament to start, all the hacks have nothing else to write about, lazy journalism really.

Ah yes, like it will change once the tournament starts...

danielf
08-06-2006, 21:42
Ah yes, like it will change once the tournament starts...

Well, at least there will be a bit more to write about.

Russ
08-06-2006, 21:51
Yeah, on pages 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 - don't forget the free pull-out section too.

pedantic
08-06-2006, 22:12
All this bitterness, and their hasn't even been a ball kicked yet. :D

There wll be some fun and games soon then. :naughty:

TheBlueRaja
08-06-2006, 22:42
All this bitterness, and their hasn't even been a ball kicked yet. :D

There wll be some fun and games soon then. :naughty:

Its not bitterness its a smug satisfaction that in the end your not going to win and then my friends - then the fun begins... :D

danielf
08-06-2006, 22:44
Its not bitterness its a smug satisfaction that in the end your not going to win and then my friends - then the fun begins... :D

Do you remember the playoffs for Euro 2004. The second match I mean ;)

TheDaddy
08-06-2006, 22:45

You have got to be in it to win it, correct me if I am wrong but 1990 was the last time that Scotland flirted with the World Cup finals, wasn't that the one where you took on the might of Costa Rica ......... and lost :p: :)

pedantic
08-06-2006, 22:55

The funny thing is, you actually believe you are winding the english up. How dillusional are you ?

You carry on with the pityful attempt at a wind up, and we look at you, and feel sorry for you. :D

Personally I don't have any misconseptions about the world cup, I know we have a chance, but probably won't win it. I think there are several better teams than us, who handle pressure better. But the world cup, and football for that matter, isn't the be all and end all. Despite what Bill Shankly said. ;)

Russ
08-06-2006, 23:04
You have got to be in it to win it, correct me if I am wrong but 1990 was the last time that Scotland flirted with the World Cup finals, wasn't that the one where you took on the might of Costa Rica ......... and lost :p: :)

Yep, definately a stereotypical England fan who would rather point out the faults of other teams than realise his own team won't win :D

Mal
08-06-2006, 23:05
Its not bitterness its a smug satisfaction that in the end your not going to win and then my friends - then the fun begins... :DThis thread just keeps on getting better and better in making me laugh ;)

Despite what the media thinks, we are not a 100% certainty of winning it. I will just hope that we don't do a Scotland (Costa Rica...).

So all in all, we are there and you are not and that will not change... ;) Will supporting T & T make this feel better?

TheDaddy
08-06-2006, 23:09
Yep, definately a stereotypical England fan who would rather point out the faults of other teams than realise his own team won't win :D

If I were pointing out faults in other teams I need go no further than you did not qualify :p: we did, we have a supurb chance of winning the thing, better than most at any rate and 100% better chance than Wales :D

Russ
08-06-2006, 23:11
Anyone fancy taking a guess at what the excuse will be for England's failure this year? How about...

Sven's not English

The referree was biased

Rooney was brought back too soon

We need to practise our penalties

It was Beckham's fault

It was Crouch's Fault

etc etc :D

---------- Post added at 23:11 ---------- Previous post was at 23:10 ----------

If I were pointing out faults in other teams I need go no further than you did not qualify :p: we did, we have a supurb chance of winning the thing, better than most at any rate and 100% better chance than Wales :D

Yes, the difference is we know we're crap - you lot are under the dilusion you're in with a chance of winning the whole thing :D

So let's keep this on England then, seeing is this is about the World Cup :D

Mal
08-06-2006, 23:15
Yes, the difference is we know we're crap - you lot are under the dilusion you're in with a chance of winning the whole thing :D

So let's keep this on England then, seeing is this is about the World Cup :DOh stop this "English are disillusioned" crap and admit it, you just don't want England to win because there is a normal rivalry between us ;)

danielf
08-06-2006, 23:17
This thread just keeps on getting better and better in making me laugh ;)

Despite what the media thinks, we are not a 100% certainty of winning it. I will just hope that we don't do a Scotland (Costa Rica...).

I do find it a bit silly how the English media with almost every tournament create a hype where England is 99.99% certain of winning, only to crash out at the quarter finals, at which point everybody goes: oh well, perhaps we were a little optimistic...

I do like to see them do well though. Just not as well as I'd like Holland to do. (but I'm not getting my hopes for Holland up too high. Then again, San Marco may be able to weave his magic).

Russ
08-06-2006, 23:21
Oh stop this "English are disillusioned" crap and admit it, you just don't want England to win because there is a normal rivalry between us ;)

Nice try but have you noticed my sig? ;)

I've said plenty of times I'd like to see England win. It's just I know they won't :)

TheDaddy
08-06-2006, 23:24
I do find it a bit silly how the English media with almost every tournament create a hype where England is 99.99% certain of winning, only to crash out at the quarter finals, at which point everybody goes: oh well, perhaps we were a little optimistic...

I do like to see them do well though. Just not as well as I'd like Holland to do. (but I'm not getting my hopes for Holland up too high. Then again, San Marco may be able to weave his magic).

You know I said this earlier but I think all this hype started around Euro 96, I can't really remember any real fuss being made prior to competitions before that certainly not the media frenzy we get these days at any rate.

Mal
08-06-2006, 23:28
Nice try but have you noticed my sig? ;)

I've said plenty of times I'd like to see England win. It's just I know they won't :)Okay you are obviously taking what the media states as the gospel fact of what every England fan thinks.

Don't fall into that trap.

Like I said, I just hope that we don't do a Scotland.

It annoys the hell out of me that media goes on this way. I suppose it just makes a new story after the tournament about sacking the manager ;)

So, I would just like for people to admit, that this is rivalry thing not a media bigging England thing up ;)

I am actually okay about that. I mean, I didn't subscribe into the feeling of supporting Arsenal in the European Cup final just because they were an English team. That would just be wrong, as a Man Utd fan ;)

homealone
08-06-2006, 23:30
Well, thank goodness it will start soon, and all the hype & speculation can turn to irony & cynicism, once again, when reality kicks in ;)

- If I'm wrong I'll watch from the quarter finals, on :)

Good luck England, don't get me wrong, but I don't expect a departing manager, an ageing crosser, an injured scouser, the metatarsally challenged shrek, or the untried schoolboy, to gel, much - hope I'm wrong :shrug:

Russ
08-06-2006, 23:33
So, I would just like for people to admit, that this is rivalry thing not a media bigging England thing up ;)

The reason I have my opinions is because I'm tired of, yes, the media ramming it all down my throat and treating us Celts like second class citizens. If all the home nations are playing one night, guess which team gets the most coverage in the news?

If I was a betting man I'd wager that anyone who thinks I'm exaggerting is English ;)

You guys can't see it - it's perfectly normal for you lot to have your team given prominence in the media.

I'm not entirely bitter, that's why I'd like to see an England win. What would annoy me is the fact we wouldn't hear the end of it til 2046 - but that's besides the point.

I am actually okay about that. I mean, I didn't subscribe into the feeling of supporting Arsenal in the European Cup final just because they were an English team. That would just be wrong, as a Man Utd fan ;)

Me, I went out and bought a Barcelona top :D

Mal
08-06-2006, 23:38

The reason I have my opinions is because I'm tired of, yes, the media ramming it all down my throat and treating us Celts like second class citizens. If all the home nations are playing one night, guess which team gets the most coverage in the news?

If I was a betting man I'd wager that anyone who thinks I'm exaggerting is English ;)

You guys can't see it - it's perfectly normal for you lot to have your team given prominence in the media.

I'm not entirely bitter, that's why I'd like to see an England win. What would annoy me is the fact we wouldn't hear the end of it til 2046 - but that's besides the point.

Me, I went out and bought a Barcelona top :DDo you actually believe the media and think that all English fans think that we are going to win it?

Okay you may be just fed up with the media, but BR's posts do suggest a rivalry issue, not a media thing. I am just on a crusade for honesty ;) :D

Russ
08-06-2006, 23:41
Do you actually believe the media and think that all English fans think that we are going to win it?

It's not really about whether or not anyone thinks you'll win - it's about complete media saturation and the only way to ensure it dies down as quickly as possible is an England loss, as has been demonstrated for 36 years.

Okay you may be just fed up with the media, but BR's posts do suggest a rivalry issue, not a media thing. I am just on a crusade for honesty ;) :D

I refer you to the second post in this thread if you're after my view ;)

danielf
08-06-2006, 23:41
You know I said this earlier but I think all this hype started around Euro 96, I can't really remember any real fuss being made prior to competitions before that certainly not the media frenzy we get these days at any rate.

Hmm, you just said 'we have a superb chance of winning'. That smacks of that attitude as well imo. You may have a better chance of winning than in recent years, but superb? I don't know. Realistically, imo, any team that wins it will need (apart from a decent team) a whole lot of luck. Luck in players not getting injured, luck in refereeing decisions going your way. Luck in hitting the target, not the woodwork. Sixteen teams will proceed to the knockout stage. Given their group, I think England will be one of them. Then there's four matches against tough opposition. Hard to call really...

TheDaddy
08-06-2006, 23:43
Do you actually believe the media and think that all English fans think that we are going to win it?

I think we have a chance of winning it, even if we didn't at least we could be happy in the knowledge that Sven won't be getting his dirty little hands on an honoury knighthood!

Mal
08-06-2006, 23:50

It's not really about whether or not anyone thinks you'll win - it's about complete media saturation and the only way to ensure it dies down as quickly as possible is an England loss, as has been demonstrated for 36 years.But my question was do you believe the media and then think that all English fans think that we will win?

I refer you to the second post in this thread if you're after my view ;)Just BR's now ;)

---------- Post added at 23:50 ---------- Previous post was at 23:48 ----------

I think we have a chance of winning it, even if we didn't at least we could be happy in the knowledge that Sven won't be getting his dirty little hands on an honoury knighthood!I think we have the same chance as anyone else. I don't think that we have an exceptionally good squad though. If all our opponents get the same chef as Tottenham did, then we may increase our chance ;)

Russ
08-06-2006, 23:55
But my question was do you believe the media and then think that all English fans think that we will win?

I believe the vast majority of you think you're "in with a chance" - but I see nothing different in this year's squad to that of WC's gone by. Every 4 years we get the same "this is the strongest squad we've ever had" and all the usual pep talks but it never leads to anything. You'll be out by the semis then it'll be weeks of blaming all kinds of things - the pitch, spontanious human combustion, the lack of decent irrigation facilities in remote African countries etc

Mal
08-06-2006, 23:57
I believe the vast majority of you think you're "in with a chance" - but I see nothing different in this year's squad to that of WC's gone by. Every 4 years we get the same "this is the strongest squad we've ever had" and all the usual pep talks but it never leads to anything. You'll be out by the semis then it'll be weeks of blaming all kinds of things - the pitch, spontanious human combustion, the lack of decent irrigation facilities in remote African countries etc
Is this belief from what you read in the media or actual fans?

Russ
08-06-2006, 23:59

The papers are full of the usual post mortem after each World Cup exit but also on tv, tune in to Talk Sport, read online, even read CF (or nthw.com as it was back then) and the fans come out with exactly what the papers are saying.

Mal
09-06-2006, 00:02
The papers are full of the usual post mortem after each World Cup exit but also on tv,Don't believe the media ;)

tune in to Talk Sport,Full of the usual nutcases, who are on the same level as the media.

read online, even read CF (or nthw.com as it was back then) and the fans come out with exactly what the papers are saying.We are not all blinded... ;)

danielf
09-06-2006, 00:03

Is the average fan like me? As in: omg, I hope we don't **** up. Please let us make it to the quarters at least, semis would be great, after that: who knows?

Mal
09-06-2006, 00:06
Is the average fan like me? As in: omg, I hope we don't **** up. Please let us make it to the quarters at least, semis would be great, after that: who knows?Well I'm like that anyway ;)

It just annoys me that the media has painted a picture of the "English" fan and everyone else believes it :mad:

TheDaddy
09-06-2006, 00:10

They did used to say that you need three world class players to win the thing, we have five or six, only a couple of other teams can boast that so I'd say we have a pretty fair chance, yes there are a lot of factors that can influence results but generally you get what you deserve, it also depends on what you'd call success is the semi's such a disgrace, were we all so disapointed last time because it could have so easily all been different, I don't know only time will tell I guess, it would be nice to finish the tournament without feeling that we had under achieved whatever happens.

Russ
09-06-2006, 00:52
You'll feel the same again this year :D

TheDaddy
09-06-2006, 01:27
You'll feel the same again this year :D

As I said everyone's idea of achievement is different where as our's is to be there or there abouts, yours is to try and avoid finishing bottom of your qualifying group, see different expectations ;)

Russ
09-06-2006, 07:28
As I said everyone's idea of achievement is different where as our's is to be there or there abouts, yours is to try and avoid finishing bottom of your qualifying group, see different expectations ;)

Again! Rather than face up to the fact your team will fail yet again, you attack my team - which is a bit of a cheap shot seeing as this thread is about the World Cup!

iadom
09-06-2006, 09:48
It is just before Scotland v Brazil at the next World Cup Group game. Ronaldino goes into the Brazilian changing room to find all his team mates looking a bit glum. "What's up?" he asks. "Well, we're having trouble getting motivated for this game. We know it's important but it's only Scotland. They're rubbish and we can't be bothered". Ronaldino looks at them and says "Well, I reckon I can beat these by myself, you lads go down the pub." So Ronaldino goes out to play Scotland by himself and the rest of the Brazilian team go off for a few jars. After a few pints they wonder how the game is going, so they get the landlord to put the teletext on. A big cheer goes up as the screen reads "Brazil 1 - Scotland 0 (Ronaldino 10 minutes)". He is beating Scotland all by himself! Anyway, a few more pints later and the game is forgotten until someone remembers "It must be full time now, let's see how he got on". They put the teletext on. "Result from the Stadium "Brazil 1 (Ronaldino 10 minutes) - Scotland 1 (Naismith 89 minutes)". They can't believe it, he has single handedly got a draw against Scotland!! They rush back to the Stadium to congratulate Ronaldino. They find him in the dressing room, still in his gear, sat with his head in his hands. He refuses to look at them. "I've let you down, I've let you down." "Don't be daft, you got a draw against Scotland, all by yourself. And they only scored at the very, very end and all we needed was a point!" "No, No, I have, I've let you down... I got sent off after 11 minutes. :D

pedantic
09-06-2006, 10:08
What amazes me, is that if the newspapers annoy you that much, why read them ? Big Brother annoys me, it's all over the tv, all over the newspapers.

Turn it off ! Don't read the sections of the press that annoys you !

You have a choice folks ! :D

Russ
09-06-2006, 10:29
What amazes me, is that if the newspapers annoy you that much, why read them ? Big Brother annoys me, it's all over the tv, all over the newspapers.

So you're suggesting what when I buy a paper I ought to avoid pages 1, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7, as well as the back pages?

Perhaps I should just stick to the horoscopes then :disturbd:

SlackDad
09-06-2006, 10:49

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me. Plus BB goes on for longer than the world cup, and we are inflicted with it every year.

Russ
09-06-2006, 11:04
Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

Yes......you're not English by any chance are you?

Mal
09-06-2006, 11:06
Sounds perfectly reasonable to me. Plus BB goes on for longer than the world cup, and we are inflicted with it every year.Twice a year if you include the celebrity BB ;)

pedantic
09-06-2006, 11:18
So you're suggesting what when I buy a paper I ought to avoid pages 1, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7, as well as the back pages?

Perhaps I should just stick to the horoscopes then :disturbd:

But if pages 1,3,4,5,6 and 7, and the back pages were full of Man U that would be ok ?

It's simply because the news doesn't contain what we want to read, we moan about it.

SlackDad
09-06-2006, 11:27
Yes......you're not English by any chance are you?

What's that got to do with Big Brother? :D

Russ
09-06-2006, 20:18
But if pages 1,3,4,5,6 and 7, and the back pages were full of Man U that would be ok ?

No that wouldn't be ok, but seeing as United never take up that amount of newspaper space, a bit of a worthless analogy really!

What's that got to do with Big Brother?

Nothing at all!

pedantic
09-06-2006, 20:57
No that wouldn't be ok,

Firstly Russ, I did say IF

But would you be so quick to volunteer your discomfort about it ? Both you and myself support Man U, but we're hardly going to whine about over exposure in the press.

but seeing as United never take up that amount of newspaper space, a bit of a worthless analogy really!

Back in 2000 they did though, remember the World club championships ? Played in south america, it was a round robin tournament, and was plastered all over the papers for awhile, taking up plenty of newspaper real estate.

Russ
09-06-2006, 21:05
Firstly Russ, I did say IF

But would you be so quick to volunteer your discomfort about it ? Both you and myself support Man U, but we're hardly going to whine about over exposure in the press.

Well as it's not something which is going to happen I can't give you an accurate answer - but I would understand and support anyone who objected to such coverage which IMO belongs in the sport pages.

Back in 2000 they did though, remember the World club championships ? Played in south america, it was a round robin tournament, and was plastered all over the papers for awhile, taking up plenty of newspaper real estate.

Nope, didn't happen - the World Club tournament was a complete wash-out as far as United were concerned and there was nowhere near as much coverage.

Mal
09-06-2006, 21:08
Nope, didn't happen - the World Club tournament was a complete wash-out as far as United were concerned and there was nowhere near as much coverage.I think he meant the fury over us being excluded from the FA cup.

Russ
09-06-2006, 21:13
I think he meant the fury over us being excluded from the FA cup.

If I remember correctly we weren't excluded, we just withdrew.

In any case, United's appeal goes throughout the UK, the supporters are probably evenly spread throughout the whole British Isles - but England's appeal is not as widespread.

When Liverpool won the Champion's Cup, that was given a lot of coverage - no problem there, the media have demonstrated they'll give such coverage to any team which does as well as them

But they have also demonstrated that they won't give the same coverage to all home nations - just the ones beginning with 'E' and that's what I object to - my money is as good as yours, why shouldn't my national team get equal coverage? As I've said, when all 4 countries play, why should yours get prominance over mine?

Legendary_PSR
09-06-2006, 21:17
yeah, you were given the option of take part in the 3rd round or not at all. you chose "Not at all"

But they have also demonstrated that they won't give the same coverage to all home nations - just the ones beginning with 'E' and that's what I object to - my money is as good as yours, why shouldn't my national team get equal coverage? As I've said, when all 4 countries play, why should yours get prominance over mine?

probably due to the huge difference in ability in the teams

i would like to add though, at least england win stuff occasionally, so they deserve some coverage. i find it for more annoying when the paper is full of crap about how "henman will win wimbledon this year"(despite being absolute rubbish) or that jenson button "is favourite to win the driver's championship this year" when he has yet to win a single race in a car that would win a race with a good driver in

Mal
09-06-2006, 21:20
If I remember correctly we weren't excluded, we just withdrew.Excluded or withdrew, the fact is it was big news at the time.

In any case, United's appeal goes throughout the UK, the supporters are probably evenly spread throughout the whole British Isles - but England's appeal is not as widespread.

When Liverpool won the Champion's Cup, that was given a lot of coverage - no problem there, the media have demonstrated they'll give such coverage to any team which does as well as them

But they have also demonstrated that they won't give the same coverage to all home nations - just the ones beginning with 'E' and that's what I object to - my money is as good as yours, why shouldn't my national team get equal coverage? As I've said, when all 4 countries play, why should yours get prominance over mine?That's fair enough. I'm English, living in England, so I can't say what the media is like in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. All in all, we aren't the media, so it is no good moaning to us. Set up a protest group and lobby the media and government ;)

pedantic
09-06-2006, 22:00
IIRC our "withdrawal" from the FA cup was at the request of the FA, something they denied later. Hence all the press coverage there was. To say our support is "evenly" spread, is dillusional, and something I would expect a City fan to say, quite frankly. And if the Welsh league was more prominent, there would be no need to infultrate another country's league. I'm well aware, we have a national (and international) appeal, but let's not too excited about where the hardcore support lies.

gazzae
09-06-2006, 22:42
Yep it was the request of the government and the FA. They were in the running for hosting the World Cup so they had to keep in FIFA's good books by making sure Utd went to the World Club Championships.

Legendary_PSR
09-06-2006, 22:49
worked out so well for everyone involved :D

Russ
09-06-2006, 23:36
i would like to add though, at least england win stuff occasionally, so they deserve some coverage.

Are you people deliberately trying not to see the point?? :D

No-one is saying England don't deserve coverage. IMO all home nations deserve coverage. But regardless of how important a game might be to the other nations, the England match will always get more coverage and this as I'm sure you will agree is completely unfair.

pedantic
10-06-2006, 01:00
Are you people deliberately trying not to see the point?? :D

No-one is saying England don't deserve coverage. IMO all home nations deserve coverage. But regardless of how important a game might be to the other nations, the England match will always get more coverage and this as I'm sure you will agree is completely unfair.

The thing is Russ, we DO see the point. As Mal pointed out, it's not our fault all the other home nations focus on Englands coverage is it ? It would probably bother me too in your's, and other home nations position, but that's hardly a stand point to dislike other home nations. Maybe it's long overdue, to lobby the powers that be, instead of chastising people who's hands it is out of.

carlingman
10-06-2006, 02:17
Again! Rather than face up to the fact your team will fail yet again, you attack my team - which is a bit of a cheap shot seeing as this thread is about the World Cup!

:tu: .

Us taffs have to stick together.

Never mind Russ, look on the bright side it has been 40 Years since England won the World Cup and in a Months time it will be 40 Years and one Month since England won the World Cup.

:D

And I also think it stinks the amount of coverage they get throughout this.

FFS unrelated to Football but Wales (Rugby) are playing Argentina this weekend along with England, Ireland and Scotland.

Now then are Wales the forgotten nation as the only game you cannot see on Sky is the Welsh game and the only place to watch this is on S4C Wales (not all of us taffs speak welsh) and S4C Wales is not available on Sky so we are banished to our other TVs that can receive S4C via normal TV Aerial.

:mad:

Russ
10-06-2006, 07:35
The thing is Russ, we DO see the point.

I'm not so sure, seeing OB reckons it's because we're 'jealous'.

As Mal pointed out, it's not our fault all the other home nations focus on Englands coverage is it ?

I know - and I've not blamed you guys at all!

It would probably bother me too in your's, and other home nations position, but that's hardly a stand point to dislike other home nations.

I don't dislike England, the English (after all, why would I dislike my own father?? ;) ), it's fans or national teams of any sport.

Maybe it's long overdue, to lobby the powers that be, instead of chastising people who's hands it is out of.

Not chastising anyone! Just giving my opinions on a discussion board!

Nidge
10-06-2006, 10:25
I'll tell you something I love football but this world cup thing is getting on my nerves, it's been rammed down our throats now for well over 3 months. I'm not a firm fan of the national team or the FA the both of them can go to hell for all I care, I'd sooner watch my local team Mansfield Town.

pedantic
10-06-2006, 20:51
I'm not so sure, seeing OB reckons it's because we're 'jealous'.

I can't speak for OB, maybe she thought the thread title was a little provocative.

Not chastising anyone! Just giving my opinions on a discussion board!

As am I, long may that continue.

Chris
12-06-2006, 12:39
Now then are Wales the forgotten nation as the only game you cannot see on Sky is the Welsh game and the only place to watch this is on S4C Wales (not all of us taffs speak welsh) and S4C Wales is not available on Sky so we are banished to our other TVs that can receive S4C via normal TV Aerial.

:mad:

What's the S4C Digidol channel I have on my Sky service then? :confused:

homealone
12-06-2006, 12:48

a digidol - ntl are definitely lagging behind if Sky are offering that kind of interface :naughty: :D

bluenote492000
12-06-2006, 17:56
Trinidad & Tobago plays England on Thursday.

Russ
12-06-2006, 22:46

A really odd version of S4C.

TheBlueRaja
15-06-2006, 14:46
Come On The T&t!!!!!

orangebird
15-06-2006, 14:48
COME ON ENGLAND!!!!

Russ
15-06-2006, 14:52
I really don't know who I want to win this game. On one hand this WC has made me lean slightly towards England, yet my nationality dictates I should take pleasure in watching them lose.

Tough one.....

TheBlueRaja
15-06-2006, 14:56
COME ON ENGLAND!!!!

Altogether now!

Feck Alllll!
Your gonna win Feck Alllllll!
Feck Alllll!

Russ
15-06-2006, 14:57
In the interests of national harmony, thought I'd wheel this one out again....

http://www.weebls-stuff.com/toons/footy/

TheBlueRaja
15-06-2006, 15:02
Come On Scotland!
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2006/06/10.jpg

orangebird
15-06-2006, 15:19
Come On Scotland!
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2006/06/10.jpg

I hate to break it to you buddy, but Scotland didn't qualify :erm: :rofl:

pedantic
15-06-2006, 15:49
I bet I know what TBR is about to post. ;)

Mal
15-06-2006, 15:59
Altogether now!

Feck Alllll!
Feck Alllll!
Your gonna win Feck Alllllll!You are in the perfect position to counsel us then aren't you. I mean, with your experience of winning feck all...

orangebird
15-06-2006, 16:08
You are in the perfect position to counsel us then won't you. I mean, with your experience of winning feck all...
:LOL:

TheBlueRaja
15-06-2006, 16:23
You are in the perfect position to counsel us then aren't you. I mean, with your experience of winning feck all...

Remind me - when was the last time you won ANYTHING either? - Oh - thats right - 1966 - 50 years ago...

Oh and OB.... Scotland (http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/w/player/180650_SCOTLAND_Jason.html) did qualify - what the hell are you on about - Girls and football ei!

Thanks for falling into my cunnily rigged "bird" trap! :D

orangebird
15-06-2006, 16:28
Remind me - when was the last time you won ANYTHING either? - Oh - thats right - 1966 - 50 years ago...

Oh and OB.... Scotland (http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/w/player/180650_SCOTLAND_Jason.html) did qualify - what the hell are you on about - Girls and football ei!

Thanks for falling into my cunnily rigged girly trap! :D

Sad really, if that's the best you can do. Scotland (THE FOOTBALL TEAM) didn't qualify. :p:

Russ
15-06-2006, 16:28
Girls and football ei!

Mal
15-06-2006, 16:35
Remind me - when was the last time you won ANYTHING either? - Oh - thats right - 1966 - 50 years ago......and your point is?

:scratch: let me think...you will have to remind me...have Scotland won anything?

It may have been 50 years ago, but it is still ONE more major trophy than you...

You are in the perfect position to counsel us then aren't you. I mean, with your experience of winning feck all...Forgive me about this post...I should have said extensive experience... ;)

pedantic
15-06-2006, 16:36
I bet I know what TBR is about to post. ;)

Told ya ! :D

And thanks for falling into mine. :D

orangebird
15-06-2006, 16:39

Oh and TBR - I think you'll find 1966 was 40 years ago, not 50... :dunce:

Russ
15-06-2006, 17:11
I'm surprised TBR got that wrong, seeing as the Saesneg have been ramming that down our throats since 1966....

pedantic
15-06-2006, 18:43
:cleader: :cleader: :cleader: :cleader:

Flobajob
15-06-2006, 19:00
*points at theblueraja and chortles*

Russ
15-06-2006, 20:15
Anyone else think England have played like World Champions yet?

Nah, thought not...

pedantic
15-06-2006, 20:22
We don't want to peak too soon. ;)

allanprg
15-06-2006, 20:26
No team has played like world champions yet. Not even the brazilians.;)

Flobajob
15-06-2006, 20:26

Nah, thought not...

We qualified, we've won the last 2 games and are through to the knockouts, is that sour grapes I can smell? ;)

Mal
15-06-2006, 20:54

Nah, thought not...
We didn't play that well. But we won...we have now qualified...and we have now avoided doing a Scotland ;) :D

Russ
15-06-2006, 20:55
We qualified, we've won the last 2 games and are through to the knockouts, is that sour grapes I can smell? ;)

No, it's realism ;)

TheDaddy
15-06-2006, 21:47

Nah, thought not...

Do you get any more points for playing well then?

Russ
16-06-2006, 00:51
It certainly helps when playing the really good sides...

TheBlueRaja
16-06-2006, 11:52
This is superb, honestly, your absolute rubbish even with Rooney and your still happy.

I'd be raging at that result yesterday.

Come on the Sweden! (Change of Avatar coming shortly)

orangebird
16-06-2006, 12:06
England haven't been great but neither has any other team - except Spain. Best team of the tournament so far.

However, Group is for points only. No fancy (or even good for that matter) play is required, just the three points. Which England have got in both their games so far. With a clean sheet too. Come on Boys!!! David Beckham, perfection as always. Gerrard back to form with a screamer, and Lennon bringing the game back to life. :tu:

How did the Scotland team get on last night? Oh yeah, that's right, they didn't qualify....my bad, sorry :rofl:

---------- Post added at 12:06 ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 ----------

It certainly helps when playing the really good sides...

The only good side so far Russ has been Spain. And we haven't had to play them, so who cares? :shrug:

Mal
16-06-2006, 12:30
This is superb, honestly, your absolute rubbish even with Rooney and your still happy.The fact that the result means we have now qualified, makes the performance seem irelevant ;)

I'd be raging at that result yesterday. Why? Okay it was not a great performance, but don't you agree that the result was great...I mean it confirmed qualification! ;)

Come on the Sweden! (Change of Avatar coming shortly)Not unexpected that.

Why don't you wait until you find out who we are going to play in the next round? It is just that Sweden are not able to knock us out, so it is a bit of a waste of time... ;) :D

Flobajob
16-06-2006, 12:31
This is superb, honestly, your absolute rubbish even with Rooney and your still happy.

I'd be raging at that result yesterday.

Come on the Sweden! (Change of Avatar coming shortly)

2 - Nil, that's a dreadful result alright :erm: Could you remind everyone where your National team normally finishes in World Cup tournaments?

Russ
16-06-2006, 12:33
The only good side so far Russ has been Spain. And we haven't had to play them, so who cares? :shrug:

Brazil, France, Holland, Argentina - England don't exactly gave a shining record against those? But as you say, who cares - it's not as if England will win the World Cup.

orangebird
16-06-2006, 12:36
Brazil, France, Holland, Argentina - England don't exactly gave a shining record against those?

Sorry Russ, but so far, with the games played in this tournament, none of the teams you've mentioned have played particularly well. Agreed, they've shone in the past, but the past doesn't count in the current tournament. And none of them so far are any better than england. Except for spain.
But as you say, who cares - it's not as if England will win the World Cup.

We might, we might not. How are Wales doing?

idi banashapan
16-06-2006, 12:36
AANVALLUH!!!! 'nuff said!

TheBlueRaja
16-06-2006, 12:37
2 - Nil, that's a dreadful result alright :erm: Could you remind everyone where your National team normally finishes in World Cup tournaments?

Going home, just like your lot.

And 2-0 is a dreaful result if you take it in the context of the way the game was played, up until 81 mins you hadnt done anything against the team that were 1000-1 outsiders (and hence the "worst team in the world cup" according to the bookies) to win the World Cup.

In fact they really could have been 1-0 up.

If your see that as a good sign going forward thats fine by me.

Russ
16-06-2006, 12:37
Sorry Russ, but so far, with the games played in this tournament, none of the teams you've mentioned have played particularly well. Agreed, they've shone in the past, but the past doesn't count in the current tournament. And none of them so far are any better than engalnd. Except for spain.

OK then, we'll just have to wait and see ;)

TheBlueRaja
16-06-2006, 12:38
How about Italy and Argentina OB - they have looked really good dont you think?

Definate threats there, perhaps even better looking that Brazil.

idi banashapan
16-06-2006, 12:40
And none of them so far are any better than engalnd.

With all due respect - GIVE OVER!!!! Why are England fans so blinkered on the whole (yes, that is a generalisation - but a fair one I feel, as I am unbias towards or against England, so it's something I have noticed over the years). They never seem to be able to see their faults and continue to bang on about the 1966 world cup (40 YEARS AGO NOW) and Maradonnas 'hand of God' (20 YEARS AGO - GET OVER IT!). I could go on about how the Netherlands have been cheated out of getting into the finals, but it happened and that's that - look forwards....

orangebird
16-06-2006, 12:40

And 2-0 is a dreaful result if you take it in the context of the way the game was played, up until 81 mins you hadnt done anything against the team that were 1000-1 outsiders (and hence the "worst team in the world cup" according to the bookies) to win the World Cup.

We didn't convert, but we made some great chances, and I reckon possesion was well upn in the 80%'s

Could've yes, but with some fabulous and inspired defending by Terry, they weren't. What's your point?

If your see that as a good sign going forward thats fine by me.

qualifying with six points and a clean sheet is good enough for me. It doesn't have to be pretty, as long as we win. How are Scotland egtting on?

idi banashapan
16-06-2006, 12:41

I agree totally.

orangebird
16-06-2006, 12:44
With all due respect - GIVE OVER!!!! Why are England fans so blinkered on the whole (yes, that is a generalisation - but a fair one I feel, as I am unbias towards or against England, so it's something I have noticed over the years). They never seem to be able to see their faults and continue to bang on about the 1966 world cup (40 YEARS AGO NOW) and Maradonnas 'hand of God' (20 YEARS AGO - GET OVER IT!). I could go on about how the Netherlands have been cheated out of getting into the finals, but it happened and that's that - look forwards....

I'm not blinkered and am well over the hand of god ****e. England haven't played great. IMO the only team that have is Spain. But we're through. I support England am I happy we're through, What's 'blinkered' about that? :shrug:

---------- Post added at 12:44 ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 ----------

This tournament? Indifferent IMO. Brazil were also shockingly poor. At the moment, England stand as good a chance as any.

danielf
16-06-2006, 12:46
<---- ;)

AANVALLUH!!!! 'nuff said!

idi banashapan
16-06-2006, 12:47
I'm not blinkered and am well over the hand of god ****e. England haven't played great. IMO the only team that have is Spain. But we're through. I support England am I happy we're through, What's 'blinkered' about that? :shrug:

The blinkered bit was saying England look the best bar Spain - well no, they don't though, do they? As mentioned since, look at Italy and Argentina. They look very good right now. As for Brazil, they don't even bother trying until the knockouts. Why waste energy, right? I suppose I should mention Holland. They look ok. Probably the strongest team they have had since about 1992. Robben of course looks great, but needs to become more of a team player. There is a fair amount of youth in the team, and with that comes inexperience, but only time will give them that. I don't expect Holland to win this tournament, but they should reach the semi's. Personally, looking at England so far, I think the Quarters will be their last game. Sorry.

orangebird
16-06-2006, 12:48
OK then, we'll just have to wait and see ;)

what's ;) for? Do you know something I don't? Can you see the result in your crystal ball?

danielf
16-06-2006, 12:49
I
This tournament? Indifferent IMO. Brazil were also shockingly poor. At the moment, England stand as good a chance as any.

That is probably true (if England continue as they did in the last 30 mins). It is however, by no means a given that England will win it. And a lot of England supporters apear to think it is, and that really annoys me.

idi banashapan
16-06-2006, 12:50
<---- ;)
:) :D

---------- Post added at 12:50 ---------- Previous post was at 12:49 ----------

That is probably true (if England continue as they did in the last 30 mins). It is however, by no means a given that England will win it. And a lot of England supporters apear to think it is, and that really annoys me.
THANK YOU - someone who can see it as it is! I've felt so alone all these years!!!!

orangebird
16-06-2006, 12:51
The blinkered bit was saying England look the best bar Spain - well no, they don't though, do they?

I'mn sorry, please refer to the post where I stated England were the best? :rolleyes:

As mentioned since, look at Italy and Argentina. They look very good right now.

They look OK. No better than any of the other teams though.
As for Brazil, they don't even bother trying until the knockouts. Why waste energy, right?

BUt I don't suppose for a moment you'd suggest England woudl think the same as Brazil, as it doesn't fit your agenda, right?

I suppose I should mention Holland. They look ok. Probably the strongest team they have had since about 1992. Robben of course looks great, but needs to become more of a team player. There is a fair amount of youth in the team, and with that comes inexperience, but only time will give them that. I don't expect Holland to win this tournament, but they should reach the semi's. Personally, looking at England so far, I think the Quarters will be their last game. Sorry.

NO apology needed. I'm happy we're thourgh, and hopeful we'll go much further.

idi banashapan
16-06-2006, 12:53
BUt I don't suppose for a moment you'd suggest England woudl think the same as Brazil, as it doesn't fit your agenda, right?

the difference is, after watching both games, I get the impression England were actually trying most of the game. Brazil just walked it. Of course, I could be wrong, and this is just my opinion, but it is the way I saw it.

We shouldn't forget of course about the 'lesser' teams - those who are not well known for the quality of their international level football. There are some great TEAMS out there, those that really work hard and together - I'm expecting some big surprises this year.

orangebird
16-06-2006, 12:54

But I haven't stated they they will win it and am getting mocked anyway- where as other folk have been quite happy to state they WON'T. Who knows who's going to? I'm an England supporter who WANTS England to win, and at the moment, we do have as good a chance as anyone to do that. Time will tell.

danielf
16-06-2006, 12:59
But I haven't stated they they will win it and am getting mocked anyway- where as other folk have been quite happy to state they WON'T. Who knows who's going to? I'm an England supporter who WANTS England to win, and at the moment, we do have as good a chance as anyone to do that. Time will tell.

Fair enough. I didn't mock you btw. Personally, I think England do stand a chance if they stop playing the long ball, use the midfield, and play positively. That means not trying to sit on a one-nil lead, and let the opposition camp outside the box (booting the ball up the park giving it away). Sadly, I can see that happening, and it may be their undoing, as it was in the last two tournaments (rember Portugal?).

idi banashapan
16-06-2006, 13:02
Fair enough. I didn't mock you btw. Personally, I think England do stand a chance if they stop playing the long ball, use the midfield, and play positively. That means not trying to sit on a one-nil lead, and let the opposition camp outside the box (booting the ball up the park giving it away). Sadly, I can see that happening, and it may be their undoing, as it was in the last two tournaments (rember Portugal?).

and get over this mental block of depending on one player to save them. in the past you had Beckham, now it's Rooney. The whole team seems to lift when these players come on, but England are more than capable of playing at a higher lever when they are not on the pitch as well. There's a huge dependancy and it isn't fair on the player in question.

Oh, and can the BBC PLEASE stop refering to England games, past and present, every 10 minutes during EVERY game they cover even when England are not playing!!! GAH!!!

orangebird
16-06-2006, 13:06

I agree with that post 110% - long balls kill us, we have a fab midfield and need to utilise it a lot better than we are...:mad:

---------- Post added at 13:06 ---------- Previous post was at 13:05 ----------

and get over this mental block of depending on one player to save them. in the past you had Beckham, now it's Rooney. The whole team seems to lift when these players come on, but England are more than capable of playing at a higher lever when they are not on the pitch as well. There's a huge dependancy and it isn't fair on the player in question.

Oh, and can the BBC PLEASE stop refering to England games, past and present, every 10 minutes during EVERY game they cover even when England are not playing!!! GAH!!!

m8, that ****es me off royaly too.:tu:

idi banashapan
16-06-2006, 13:07
m8, that ****es me off royaly too.:tu:

lol

TheBlueRaja
16-06-2006, 13:11
Mon the Sweden! :D

She's a true blonde under that ball too i can assure you!

danielf
16-06-2006, 13:16
Mon the Sweden! :D

She's a true blonde under that ball too i can assure you!

Go ahead, support IKEA. We all know what it's like. Once it's taken apart, there's no way to get it back together :D

TheBlueRaja
16-06-2006, 13:18
Go ahead, support IKEA. We all know what it's like. Once it's taken apart, there's no way to get it back together :D

LOL, im not really supporting them, im more not supporting England.

Good luck to Holland today too - i really would like them to do well! :tu:

danielf
16-06-2006, 13:19
LOL, im not really supporting them, im more not supporting England.

Good luck to Holland today too - i really would like them to do well! :tu:

Thanks. We'll need it ;)

idi banashapan
16-06-2006, 13:33
Thanks. We'll need it ;)
too true - Cocu is in the team!!!

SlackDad
16-06-2006, 13:34
All this England bashing and any one but England is nonsense. As Alan Green (he's Northern Irish) on Radio Five Live said last night before the England game, it's pathetic that anyone form Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland would not want to see England do well.

I support England, but would always want any of the home nations to do well.

idi banashapan
16-06-2006, 13:37
All this England bashing and any one but England is nonsense. As Alan Green (he's Northern Irish) on Radio Five Live said last night before the England game, it's pathetic that anyone form Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland would not want to see England do well.

I support England, but would always want any of the home nations to do well.

It was a topic on 'The Wright Stuff' on channel 5 today actually. There were one or 2 Scots who called up to say they were supporting England, but most were not! I quite agree with you though, still the UK. The 4 countries should be backing eachother. I think it's all historic, when the English persecuted anyone they could catch unless they saw things the way the English King / Queen did at that time.

Still, I doubt I'd see the Spaniards supporting Portugal or the Polish supporting Germany, so ho-hum...

Flobajob
16-06-2006, 14:03

Everyone's going home eventually, Scotland normally long before anyone else.

This is the team that Sweden couldn't score against even though they only had 10 men on the pitch? Yet we score 2 and up go your Swedish flags, you hate England, we get it, there's a lot of your sort all over the British Isles.

orangebird
16-06-2006, 14:05

This is the team that Sweden couldn't score against even though they only had 10 men on the pitch? Yet we score 2 and up go your Swedish flags, you hate England, we get it, there's a lot of your sort all over the British Isles.

:LOL: :D

TheBlueRaja
16-06-2006, 14:20

Yeah, i know - ever wonder why?

By the way - i keep seeing this stuff about the UK and "The British Isles" etc you seem to forget that for most people outside England thats completely irrelevant.

God you lot are soooo arrogant sometimes, WHY should we support you anyway? Why are you saying one minute we should be supporting you then slagging Scotland off the next in a cheap attempt at a wind up?

Its laughable, a bit like your World cup chances.

Sweden!!!!!

SlackDad
16-06-2006, 14:28
Yeah, i know - ever wonder why?

By the way - i keep seeing this stuff about the UK and "The British Isles" etc you seem to forget that for most people outside England thats completely irrelevant.
Is it really irrelevant?

God you lot are soooo arrogant sometimes, WHY should we support you anyway? Why are you saying one minute we should be supporting you then slagging Scotland off the next in a cheap attempt at a wind up? Because England are one of the home (i.e. United Kingdom) nations

Its laughable, a bit like your World cup chances. I think England, provided they play to their strengths, can do very well in this World Cup. Any other team that had world class players such as Lampard, Gerrard, Rooney, and Terry, you simply would not be writing off so easily.

Flobajob
16-06-2006, 14:41
I think England, provided they play to their strengths, can do very well in this World Cup. Any other team that had world class players such as Lampard, Gerrard, Rooney, and Terry, you simply would not be writing off so easily.

Exactly, he's not slagging England off based on what he's convinced is their lack of talent, it's purely to try and get a rise out of other people, fingers crossed he'll crawl back under his bridge and resume platting his chin hair.

Mal
16-06-2006, 14:56
Going home, just like your lot. Your lot never went anywhere to go home from ;)

If your see that as a good sign going forward thats fine by me. Like I said before, not a great performance, but we got the 3 points in the end and we qualified without having to worry about the last game, which in itself is a good thing.

Oh and I have never said that we are 100% certs to win. I am just glad to be there and hope and pray that we go far.

orangebird
16-06-2006, 15:00
Exactly, he's not slagging England off based on what he's convinced is their lack of talent, it's purely to try and get a rise out of other people, fingers crossed he'll crawl back under his bridge and resume platting his chin hair.

I notice too that TBR didn't have a comment about his new favourite team not being able to beat T&T, whilst England racked up a 2-0 win... :rolleyes:

Mal
16-06-2006, 15:02

I support England, but would always want any of the home nations to do well.To be honest, I wouldn't say that it's pathetic that they don't want us to win. I believe in "support your own team". Fair enough.

In the domestic league, I don't support another team in Europe, just because they are English. :shrug:

Stuart
16-06-2006, 15:02
then slagging Scotland off the next in a cheap attempt at a wind up?

Exactly what is it you are doing then?

Its laughable, a bit like your World cup chances.

Sweden!!!!!

Proves my point I think.

altis
16-06-2006, 15:05
If Trinidad and Tobago are known as T&T, why aren't Serbia and Montenegro known as S&M?

Saaf_laandon_mo
16-06-2006, 15:12
Let's be serious for a minute... England were favourites to qualify from this group and 6 points from the 1st 2 games, for a team with ENglands class of player, against PAraguay and T&T should have been a formality.

The reason, IMO, that the non-english are keen to slag of england during the World Cup is that we have this attitude that we are destined to win the WC or EC. Its always a case of "Yes we will be bring the worlld cup home after 30 years ..." or "we can beat the argies.the brazilians...the germans" etc etc. If instead of this arrogance, england said we are expected to qualify from teh gropu and everything else will be a bonus, I'm sure more people outside england would support them.
England aren't amongst the best in the world... The quicker they realise that, the more respect they will get from home nation fans who arent english

orangebird
16-06-2006, 15:14
Let's be serious for a minute... England were favourites to qualify from this group and 6 points from the 1st 2 games, for a team with ENglands class of player, against PAraguay and T&T should have been a formality.

The reason, IMO, that the non-english are keen to slag of england during the World Cup is that we have this attitude that we are destined to win the WC or EC. Its always a case of "Yes we will be bring the worlld cup home after 30 years ..." or "we can beat the argies.the brazilians...the germans" etc etc. If instead of this arrogance, england said we are expected to qualify from teh gropu and everything else will be a bonus, I'm sure more people outside england would support them.
England aren't amongst the best in the world... The quicker they realise that, the more respect they will get from home nation fans who arent english

But what's so wrong with believing we could win it? England DO have some of the best players int he world, and we have every right to believe we could win it. Because indeed, we CAN beat the Argies (although, they are on fire today! :erm: ), we CAN beat the Germans etc etc etc. It just depends on our form on the day :shrug:

England ARE among the best in the world, and we'ver just proved it by getting into the knockout stages.

TheBlueRaja
16-06-2006, 15:15

Wasnt it obvious from the start - this is the anyone BUT England thread - if you dont like it - move on...

Im not slagging off England, im merely stating that they have played very poorly up until now and that i want anyone but England to win the world cup, am i not allowed to state my views?

And again we get another racist stereotypical Scotsman dig in an attempt at a wind up. Very poor form!

Flobajob
16-06-2006, 15:17
England aren't amongst the best in the world...

I'm afraid you're wrong, any team that qualifies for the knockouts are "amongst the best in the world"

---------- Post added at 15:17 ---------- Previous post was at 15:16 ----------

Wasnt it obvious from the start - this is the anyone BUT England thread - if you dont like it - move on...

Im not slagging off England, im merely stating that they have played very poorly up until now and that i want anyone but England to win the world cup, am i not allowed to state my views?

And again we get another racist stereotypical Scotsman dig in an attempt at a wind up. Very poor form!

Where's this stereotypical racist dig at a scotsman? You're getting paranoid now. Be a man, admit your reasoning behind starting this thread, everyone else has already realised.

TheBlueRaja
16-06-2006, 15:18
I'm afraid you're wrong, any team that qualifies for the knockouts are "amongst the best in the world"

England have one of the Best squads in the world, no doubt - perhaps the best even.

You dont have a team though - that is why you will lose and go home with nothing.

STONEISLAND
16-06-2006, 15:19
Eng-ger -land, Eng-ger -land, Eng-ger -land, Eng-ger -land.
Eng-ger -land, Eng-ger -land, Eng-ger -land, Eng-ger -land,

orangebird
16-06-2006, 15:20

Yes, you are. I've not seen you mention how poor France played the other day - and lets face it, they were ****. You're on a mission mate, don't try and deny it. You've got the hump because ONCE AGAIN, your country dont even get a day trip, and we're in the knockouts.

Um, he called you a troll more or less, which is nothing to do with you being scottish or not.

TheBlueRaja
16-06-2006, 15:20
Where's this stereotypical racist dig at a scotsman? You're getting paranoid now. Be a man, admit your reasoning behind starting this thread, everyone else has already realised.

fingers crossed he'll crawl back under his bridge and resume platting his chin hair.

As for my reasonings for starting the thread and being a man et all, perhaps you should check the thread title!

orangebird
16-06-2006, 15:22
As for my reasonings for starting the thread and being a man et all, perhaps you should check the thread title!
Why is calling you a troll 'another racist stereotypical Scotsman dig'?? Trolls are trolls mate, whatever bitter nationality they happen to be :shrug:

Flobajob
16-06-2006, 15:22
Um, he called you a troll more or less, which is nothing to do with you being scottish or not.

Perhaps that's a recent Glaswegian fad that I've accidently highlighted :erm:

TheBlueRaja
16-06-2006, 15:23
Yes, you are. I've not seen you mention how poor France played the other day - and lets face it, they were ****. You're on a mission mate, don't try and deny it. You've got the hump because ONCE AGAIN, your country dont even get a day trip, and we're in the knockouts.

I didnt mention France the other day for the same reason i didnt mention the Ivory Coast, Australia, South Korea etc... They werent the topic of conversation at the time.

Oh - i dont have the hump it was no surprise that England would qualify from the easy group (even though you did make it look hard i will admit), the fun starts after the next stage.

With any luck you will get Germany though...

Russ
16-06-2006, 15:23
what's ;) for? Do you know something I don't? Can you see the result in your crystal ball?

Ohh you bite so easily :D

England won't win the World Cup. Just accept it - I have!

orangebird
16-06-2006, 15:24
Perhaps that's a recent Glaswegian fad that I've accidently highlighted :erm:
:rofl: :rofl:

Nah. I just think its a bit brassed necked to start accusing people of being nationality-racist, when they've started a thread called 'the anyone but england thread'. pot and kettle etc... ;)

Flobajob
16-06-2006, 15:26
I didnt mention France the other day for the same reason i didnt mention the Ivory Coast, Australia, South Korea etc... They werent the topic of conversation at the time.

No, you're that predictable that you'll mention any team playing against England. If Saddam Hussein had by some freak accident concocted a reasonable team that were playing against us you'd be all "'mon the eyeraqi's!!!"

TheBlueRaja
16-06-2006, 15:27

Nah. I just think its a bit brassed necked to start accusing people of being nationality-racist, when they've started a thread called 'the anyone but england thread'. pot and kettle etc... ;)

Not really racist though is it - Im not slagging off the people of England, im only stating that i want anybody but England to win at the World Cup for reasons stated earlier and which have nothing to do with the nice people south of the border.

---------- Post added at 15:27 ---------- Previous post was at 15:26 ----------

No, you're that predictable that you'll mention any team playing against England. If Saddam Hussein had by some freak accident concocted a reasonable team that were playing against us you'd be all "'mon the eyeraqi's!!!"

Im hoping you get the Germans mate - but yes, i would have supported Iraq.

orangebird
16-06-2006, 15:28

Agendas, I know. They're a bugger, aren't they?!
Oh - i dont have the hump it was no surprise that England would qualify from the easy group (even though you did make it look hard i will admit), the fun starts after the next stage.

I wasn't even talking about the groups... and easy as it was, some countries couldn't even get THAT far, so still an achievment :)

With any luck you will get Germany though...

Yep, and paste them 5-1 again. :D :rofl:

---------- Post added at 15:28 ---------- Previous post was at 15:27 ----------

Ohh you bite so easily :D

England won't win the World Cup. Just accept it - I have!

NOt really, just wondering what the seemingly pointless wink was for.

Engalnd might win, and they might not. Let's wait and see, eh?

Russ
16-06-2006, 15:30
NOt really, just wondering what the seemingly pointless wink was for.

I wouldn't have expected you to have seen the point of the wink ;)

Whoops, there's another :D

Engalnd might win, and they might not. Let's wait and see, eh?

Oi - find your own material :p:

Flobajob
16-06-2006, 15:30

It's unfortunately commonplace, especially in Scotland to hate every attempt the English make at something, they love to see us fail, I think they're still bitter about getting their asses kicked at Culloden.

orangebird
16-06-2006, 15:33
I wouldn't have expected you to have seen the point of the wink ;)

Whoops, there's another :D

Obviously something religious then. Not missing much.

Russ
16-06-2006, 15:34
Obviously something religious then. Not missing much.

:D :D :D

Resorting to cheapshots eh? Sounds like a little insecurity about England is creeping in :D

TheBlueRaja
16-06-2006, 15:34
It's unfortunately commonplace, especially in Scotland to hate every attempt the English make at something, they love to see us fail, I think they're still bitter about getting their asses kicked at Culloden.

Just like your bitter that we gubbed you at the Rugby last year i suppose etc, etc.

We could go around like this all night to be honest but its boring and i dont care.

Flobajob
16-06-2006, 15:36
Just like your bitter that we gubbed you at the Rugby last year i suppose etc, etc.

Not especially, don't think I've ever seen England play rugby, wouldn't interest me anyway.

TheBlueRaja
16-06-2006, 15:44
Not especially, don't think I've ever seen England play rugby, wouldn't interest me anyway.

Just like talking about battles which happened hundreds of years ago in which thousands of people were killed on both sides dosent interest me either.

Not to mention the fact its completely irrelevant.

Stuart
16-06-2006, 15:48

Actually, as a mod, if I don't like a thread (not that I don't like this one), I don't have the freedom to move on.. But that's off topic.

I just thought it nicely ironic that you criticsed the English for slagging off the Scottish in a cheap attempt at a wind up then, erm, slagged off the English in a cheap attempt at a wind up..

BTW, is it true that the Scottish footy team have bought cheap day returns?

danielf
16-06-2006, 15:53
Sorry Russ, but so far, with the games played in this tournament, none of the teams you've mentioned have played particularly well. Agreed, they've shone in the past, but the past doesn't count in the current tournament. And none of them so far are any better than england. Except for spain.

I think you want to add Argentina to that. Scary stuff against Serbia :disturbd:

orangebird
16-06-2006, 15:55

We could go around like this all night to be honest but its boring and i dont care.

Ah, Rugby - another world cup that England won, and that Scotland never have.

---------- Post added at 15:55 ---------- Previous post was at 15:54 ----------

I think you want to add Argentina to that. Scary stuff against Serbia :disturbd:

Hell yeah! Just saw a few bits of that game in the canteen this afternoon - they now take a firm lead as the best team so far. :disturbd:

Flobajob
16-06-2006, 16:02
Ronaldino goes into the Brazilian changing room to find all his teammates looking a bit glum.
"What's up?" he asks.
"Well, we're having trouble getting motivated for this game. We know it's important but it's only Scotland. They're crap and we can't be bothered".
Ronaldino looks at them and says "Well, I reckon I can beat these by myself, you lads go down the pub."
So Ronaldino goes out to play Scotland by himself and the rest of the Brazilian team go off for a few jars. After a few pints they wonder how the game is going, so they get the landlord to put the teletext on. A big cheer goes up as the screen reads
"Brazil 1 - Scotland 0 (Ronaldino 10minutes)". He is beating Scotland all by himself!
Anyway, a few more pints later and the game is forgotten until someone remembers "It must be full time now, let's see how he got on".
They put the teletext on.
"Result from the Stadium "Brazil 1 (Ronaldino 10 minutes) - Scotland 1 (Angus 89 minutes)".
They can't believe it, he has single handedly got a draw against Scotland!!
They rush back to the Stadium to congratulate Ronaldino. They find him in the dressing room, still in his gear, sat with his head in his hands.
He refuses to look at them. "I've let you down, I've let you down."
"Don't be daft, you got a draw against Scotland, all by yourself. And they only scored at the very, very end!" "No, No, I have, I've let you down... I got sent off after 12 minutes"

TheBlueRaja
16-06-2006, 16:03
Actually, as a mod, if I don't like a thread (not that I don't like this one), I don't have the freedom to move on.. But that's off topic.

I just thought it nicely ironic that you criticsed the English for slagging off the Scottish in a cheap attempt at a wind up then, erm, slagged off the English in a cheap attempt at a wind up..

BTW, is it true that the Scottish footy team have bought cheap day returns?

I didnt slag off the English!

There does appear to be a lot of English people in this thread though attempting to wind me up though by slagging Scotland.

Flobajob
16-06-2006, 16:18
I didnt slag off the English!

There does appear to be a lot of English people in this thread though attempting to wind me up though by slagging Scotland.

If you don't like it, maybe next time you'll think twice before dedicating an entire thread to your dislike of the English team.

ikthius
16-06-2006, 16:23
it ok BR, the way mingerland are playing they aint winning anything this year.

our other national team held them off for long enough, a team that is total pants..... bring on the Argentines to play them, hell even if they get Equador they will get beat.

they have no self mars to that team.

there is no i in team unless your mingerland

ik
P.S. i like your banner