PDA

View Full Version : Is this because of NTL's Closed Ports?

gary_580
02-12-2003, 00:33
I keep getting this error. I assume its because NTL have closed some ports???

Can't connect to MySQL server on 'xx.xxx.xx.xx'

Stuart W
02-12-2003, 00:43
Sounds like it.

ntl decided to close quite a few ports, one of which is the default MySQL server.

You'll eed to get in touch with whoever manages the server to see if they can let you use a different port.

gary_580
02-12-2003, 00:45
thats ridiculous!! i pay NTL for INTERNET access and then they decide what i can do with it. I've had enough of this and rebooting my STB every day.

Sociable
02-12-2003, 00:46
Yes I think so Gary

Can't remeber the specific port concerened but sure I saw somewhere the ports used by that were on the list of ports being blocked.

gary_580
02-12-2003, 00:53
Yes I think so Gary

Can't remeber the specific port concerened but sure I saw somewhere the ports used by that were on the list of ports being blocked.

1433 i think

gary_580
02-12-2003, 01:05
is there anyway to get around it?

gary_580
02-12-2003, 01:12
Yes I think so Gary

From the info below does this mean i cant use this?

Ports 1433 (TCP), 1434 (UDP) Blocking these ports is likely to prevent the use of MS SQL Server and on occasion disrupt normal connections. This disruption is because these ports are above 1024. Ports above 1024 are used occasionally for 'temporary' communications e.g. the fetching of web pages. This is not a common practice, but it is worth noting that blocking these 2 ports may cause the (very) occasional "page not found" error due to port blocking. In these cases, if a customer tries to load the page again, or visit another site, the connection will work as normal.

Paul
02-12-2003, 01:48

Can't connect to MySQL server on 'xx.xxx.xx.xx'Assuming you actually mean MySQL then no, this uses port 3306. The replies so far seem to be confusing this with Microsoft SQL (MS SQL) which runs on port 1433.

Also NTL only seem to be blocking incoming connections to 1433 so if you were trying to connect from your PC to a MS SQL database somewhere else it should still work.

zovat
03-12-2003, 15:25

Can't connect to MySQL server on 'xx.xxx.xx.xx'

If this is connecting from the net - to your Machine on NTL's network, then this could be the case (although as already pointed out the ports were MS Sql rather than MySql....

If this is connecting within your own home network, then this should be irrelevant, as it should be if your SQL server is outside of NTLs network (I think :confused: that's right )

poolking
13-12-2003, 10:40
Sounds like it.

ntl decided to close quite a few ports, one of which is the default MySQL server.

You'll eed to get in touch with whoever manages the server to see if they can let you use a different port.
I thought that affected MSSQL server not MySQL server.

Defiant
13-12-2003, 11:05
If this problem was because of a port ntl closed then it would affect other people too yes

Frank
13-12-2003, 23:29
I don't recall ntl blocking the mySQL port, which as pem says is 3306. The problem is more likely the mySQL username you are connecting with is not allowed to connect from that IP address. [Most ISPs allow mySQL connections from their machines only].

It is bad security to allow database connections from anywhere.