PDA

View Full Version : World Cup 2006 Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

sir_drinks_alot
22-05-2006, 13:10
Right it's near enough to wc to start this thread hell only 18 days until The First game ko's :)

STONEISLAND
22-05-2006, 13:11
Will Roony be fit? That is the question.

I hope so.

skyblueheroes
22-05-2006, 13:26
Will Roony be fit? That is the question.

I hope so.

Course he will. Its all a cunning scam.

Anyway, where is everyone watching it ? Is anyone going ? What about England's destiny.

As for me, I know I'll be watching the Eng v Trinidad game in Ibiza and a big BBQ at a friends for the Paraguay game.

I did apply for tickets but no luck :(

As for England..................Semi's.

STONEISLAND
22-05-2006, 13:35
Course he will. Its all a cunning scam.

You reckon?

Why would th FA do that? Now come to think of it he went down near full time with a fake face of pain.

I just keep fingers crossed he will be well for the first game.

TheBlueRaja
22-05-2006, 13:37
Roony will make the world cup - no doubt about it.

Saaf_laandon_mo
22-05-2006, 13:44
I think england need to win the group if they want to progress beyond the following round. I expect germany to top their group, and an england v germany game is on the cards if england finish second. I cant see germany losing so early in the tournament - home advantage and all that.....

TheBlueRaja
22-05-2006, 13:46
England get Brazil in the semi's dont they if they win through?

Ah well.

TheDaddy
22-05-2006, 13:46
I think england need to win the group if they want to progress beyond the following round. I expect germany to top their group, and an england v germany game is on the cards if england finish second. I cant see germany losing so early in the tournament - home advantage and all that.....

You are right I can't remember a host nation not getting beyond the second round ever, even countries like Korea and USA managed it.

smicer07
22-05-2006, 13:54
England to just sneak out of the group phase and lose in the next round.

sir_drinks_alot
22-05-2006, 13:58
England get Brazil in the semi's dont they if they win through?

Ah well.

YA but i really think we are more than a match for brazil. :D

TheDaddy
22-05-2006, 14:00

Don't know about that at least Sven seems more positive this time round though and that can't be a bad thing.

smicer07
22-05-2006, 14:04

Feed the Brazil team a few lasagnes and England might have a chance. Possibly.

skyblueheroes
22-05-2006, 14:09
Maybe we should take the Italian football approach and bribe them all ?!

TheDaddy
22-05-2006, 14:15
Maybe we should take the Italian football approach and bribe them all ?!

I just don't know why it took so long for the powers that be to realise, anything that Berlesconi is involved with is invariably crooked, it does make me wonder if it spread to the national team, seeing as some of the players have now been implicated to.

TheBlueRaja
22-05-2006, 14:44
Can anybody see past a Brazil v Germany final?

France possible outsiders?

I would say Spain too but they always seem to bottle it.

gazzae
22-05-2006, 14:54
If Rooney isn't fit, Sven should play a 4-5-1 and have carrick as a holding midfielder and allow Gerrard and Lampard to attack. They won't have to worry about covering for each other (or more likely Gerrard covering for Lampard.)

sir_drinks_alot
22-05-2006, 14:55
Can anybody see past a Brazil v Germany final?

France possible outsiders?

I would say Spain too but they always seem to bottle it.

Ya me germany may be the home side but thay are no where good Enough to get To the final france maybe sf but not final.and as much as i like tham the world cup would suffer from yet Another brazil final appearance.

liamboyle06
22-05-2006, 14:58
I reckon that Ialy are dark outsiders, possibly even USA - though I dont think they'll get to the final.

Not sure if i'm allowed to post this, however, PL are doing a free Fantasy Footie thing for the WC:
http://fpli.premierleague.com/
all you have to do is register, though I dont think they have updated their Database with all players and Teams

sir_drinks_alot
22-05-2006, 15:05
I reckon that Ialy are dark outsiders, possibly even USA - though I dont think they'll get to the final.

Not sure if i'm allowed to post this, however, PL are doing a free Fantasy Footie thing for the WC:
http://fpli.premierleague.com/
all you have to do is register, though I dont think they have updated their Database with all players and Teams

Nop the match-fixing scandal going on in Italy will take the edge off tham Maybe able to slog in to the second round. but that will be it from tham ya The usa are my dark side i can see tham going along way.

TheDaddy
22-05-2006, 15:15
What about Argentina, also I can't see Italy or France doing anything.

skyblueheroes
22-05-2006, 15:42
Watch out for Portgual. You heard it here first.

Saaf_laandon_mo
22-05-2006, 16:02
Portugal is a good bet, I for one am rooting for them. However I think if all goes to plan they play brazil in the semis :S. I reckon anyone from argentina, brazil and portugal, realistically either brazil or argentina.

sir_drinks_alot
29-05-2006, 16:52
Anyone know if fifa have or are going to Release the full world cup final games on Dvd the only one i can find id 66. :)

TheBlueRaja
29-05-2006, 17:45
Anyone know if fifa have or are going to Release the full world cup final games on Dvd the only one i can find id 66. :)

This ones quite good!

http://www.dvdsource.co.uk/detail_b/13018626

sir_drinks_alot
29-05-2006, 17:53
This ones quite good!

http://www.dvdsource.co.uk/detail_b/13018626

Got that i'm only really looking for the full world cup final games mate:)

sherer
30-05-2006, 10:33
yeah would be great to get the whole of the 1970 final of DVD

i've got the DVD of the 54 finals on DVD and that is really good it's the official FIFA film of the event

this company produces alot of these DVDs

http://www.mastersound.co.uk

you can try contacting them

my dark horse for the WC is Czech Republic

sir_drinks_alot
30-05-2006, 12:23
yeah would be great to get the whole of the 1970 final of DVD

i've got the DVD of the 54 finals on DVD and that is really good it's the official FIFA film of the event

this company produces alot of these DVDs

http://www.mastersound.co.uk

you can try contacting them

my dark horse for the WC is Czech Republic

Cool i will look in to that :)

ya i'm i the only one who thinks Australia are going to do something at the world Cup

TheDaddy
30-05-2006, 17:16
Apparently Sven is going to play Jamie Carragher as a holding midfielder and Steven Gerrard up front, considering he basically said on Sunday that the starting line up tonight is the one he will use in the World Cup, it doesn't bode well.

TheBlueRaja
30-05-2006, 19:14
Apparently Sven is going to play Jamie Carragher as a holding midfielder and Steven Gerrard up front, considering he basically said on Sunday that the starting line up tonight is the one he will use in the World Cup, it doesn't bode well.

Come on Hungary! :angel:

sherer
31-05-2006, 10:20
don't think we learnt alot from last nihts game

Walcott has now touched the ball for at least a minute in his last two games now so that's enough to get to the WC.. he did nothing last niht and drifted out of the game

The only thing J Cole can do when he gets the ball is cut inside EVERY TIME so when he gets up against a world class defence like the German's or Italian's they are hardley going to find that difficult to cope with

Beckham can still cross the ball really well but can't really beat a man so not much hope for our wingers

Owen still only looks half fit and Crouch just isn't good enough

looking at our strikers we have Owen on 30 odd goals for England.. Crouch has TWO.. Walcott hasn't play since last year and only has 5 in his entire career and the other one isn't fit and won't even get a game :Yikes: :Yikes:

gazzae
31-05-2006, 10:56
I hope Crouch scores loads at the world cup so we get to see more of this!

Download Failed (1)

Crouch = Legend

sir_drinks_alot
31-05-2006, 20:49
I hope Crouch scores loads at the world cup so we get to see more of this!

Download Failed (1)

Crouch = Legend

IS there no escape from the crouch !

TheBlueRaja
31-05-2006, 20:50
http://img423.imageshack.us/img423/4353/crouchatron8hm.gif

Do, do, do the funky Crouchie - whoooooo! :D

TheDaddy
31-05-2006, 23:19
Something tells me we wont be seeing this often, unless he starts a trend and they all do it, personally it's better than some of the nonsense they do, particually don't like the baby rocking one, I would quite like it if their goal was struck of when they do it.

enjoymarcus
03-06-2006, 17:43
Something tells me we wont be seeing this often, unless he starts a trend and they all do it, personally it's better than some of the nonsense they do, particually don't like the baby rocking one, I would quite like it if their goal was struck of when they do it.

lol, twice today. Good on him, hat trick hero. Who needs rooney? We have a perfect 4-4-2.

yesman
05-06-2006, 18:53
A world cup chart for you to download here (http://www.matrixxhosting.com/downloads/worldcup.xls), you need excel btw.
After entering the scores, it also updates the league tables ;)

homealone
05-06-2006, 19:14
A world cup chart for you to download here (http://www.matrixxhosting.com/downloads/worldcup.xls), you need excel btw.

Nice one, yesman, very useful - it works fine with Open Office, as well as Excel, btw :)

MadGamer
05-06-2006, 19:36
Nice, just downloaded it. :tu:

yesman
05-06-2006, 23:05
England are second favorites as from today according to most bookies...

Brazil 11/4 England 7/1 Argentina 8/1 Germany 8/1 Italy 9/1 Holland 12/1 France 12/1 Spain 14/1 Portugal 20/1 Czech Republic 33/1

It would be nice to see England make it to the final but I can't see that happening.
I would personally put England at 9/1 with Italy which moves the host nation and Argentina into the second favourite spot.

Thoughts anyone ?

TheDaddy
05-06-2006, 23:10
I can't see Brazil winning it,as for Italy the last time they were involved with a match fixing scandle they won it so who knows, I also think the Czech Republic will do well as a lot of their stars know that this is probably the last chance at international level.

yesman
05-06-2006, 23:18
I can't see Brazil winning it,as for Italy the last time they were involved with a match fixing scandle they won it so who knows, I also think the Czech Republic will do well as a lot of their stars know that this is probably the last chance at international level.

Yep, The Czech Republic made the semi finals (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/euro_2004/results/default.stm) of the euro 2004 competition, only to be beaten by Greece of all people, maybe it will be a more open competition this time around, with the Ivory Coast as the dark horses ;)

Neil
07-06-2006, 10:17
World Cup 2006 Rules.

1. From 9th June to 9th July 2006, you should read the sports section of the newspaper so that you are aware of what is going on regarding the World Cup, and that way you will be able to join in the conversations. If you fail to do this, then you will be looked at in a bad way, or you will be totally ignored. DO NOT complain about not receiving any attention.

2. During the World Cup, the television is mine, at all times, without any exceptions. If you even take a glimpse of the remote control, you will lose it (your eye).

3. If you have to pass by in front of the TV during a game, I donââ‚ ¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t mind, as long as you do it crawling on the floor and without distracting me. If you decide to stand nude in front of the TV, make sure you put clothes on right after because if you catch a cold, I wont have time to take you to the doctor or look after you during the World Cup month.

4. During the games I will be blind, deaf and mute, unless I require a refill of my drink or something to eat. You are out of your mind if you expect me to listen to you, open the door, answer the telephone, or pick up the baby that just fell from the second floor... it wont happen.

5. It would be a good idea for you to keep at least 2 six packs in the fridge at all times, as well as plenty of things to nibble on, and please do not make any funny faces to my friends when they come over to watch the games. In return, you will be allowed to use the TV between 12am and 6am, unless they replay a good game that I missed during the day.

6. Please, please, please!! if you see me upset because one of my teams is losing, DO NOT say †œget over it, its only a gameââ‚ ¬Ã‚, or †œdonâà ƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚¬Ã¢â€ ¾Ã‚¢t worry, theyââ‚ ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢ll win next timeââ‚ ¬Ã‚. If you say these things, you will only make me angrier and I will love you less. Remember, you will never ever know more about football than me and your so called †œwords of encouragementâ↚¬Â will only lead to a break up or divorce.

7. You are welcome to sit with me to watch one game and you can talk to me during halftime but only when the commercials are on, and only if the halftime score is pleasing me. In addition, please note I am saying †œoneâà ƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚¬Ã‚ game, hence do not use the World Cup as a nice cheesy excuse to †œspend time togetherââ‚ ‚¬Ã‚.

8. The replays of the goals are very important. I donââ‚ ¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t care if I have seen them or I havenÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šà ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢t seen them, I want to see them again. Many times.

9. Tell your friends NOT to have any babies, or any other child related parties or gatherings that requires my attendance because:
I will not go,
I will not go, and
I will not go.
But, if a friend of mine invites us to his house on a Sunday to watch a game, we will be there in a flash.

10. The daily World Cup highlights show on TV every night is just as important as the games themselves. Do not even think about saying †œbut you have already seen this...why donââ‚ ¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t you change the channel to something we can all watch??ââ‚à ‚¬Ã‚, the reply will be: †œRefer to Rule #2 of this listââ‚ ¬Ã‚.

11. And finally, please save your expressions such as †œThank God the World Cup is only every 4 yearsÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šà ¬Ã‚Â. I am immune to these words, because after this comes the Champions League, Premier League, Italian League, Spanish League, etc etc.

12. Thank you for your co-operation.

Regards,
Men of the World

Saaf_laandon_mo
07-06-2006, 10:47
I think Portugal are a good bet. Runners up in Euro, and had a great qualifying campaign. I have them playing Brazil in the semis, just edging it and going on to win the WC!

Nugget
07-06-2006, 15:37
I know it's mean, but it made me laugh!

A Scottish colleague of mine (who I have to say does have a sense of humour, and will appreciate the gag :) ), is foolishly out of the office tomorrow, so it would have been rude of me not to do it :D

Oh, and apologies to all of our Scottish members :)

Russ
07-06-2006, 15:47
And nothing for us taffs? Typical English racism....:D

Nugget
07-06-2006, 15:51
And nothing for us taffs? Typical English racism....:D

Only because I don't work with any ;) :D

Russ
07-06-2006, 17:05
Yes but you didn't think of that when you forced that picture on us did you?? :D

Legendary_PSR
07-06-2006, 18:42
Going for argentina. bought an argentina shirt with "5 mascherano" on the back(which is what number he usually has) only for them to give him number 8 this time

don't think england will win, but i will be rooting for them until they come against argentina.

can't see brazil's idea of all out attack(taking one player with defensive ability would've been nice) working in the latter stages

i was going to pick holland as dark horses until van basten lost the plot

danielf
07-06-2006, 18:52
i was going to pick holland as dark horses until van basten lost the plot

What do you mean lost the plot?

Legendary_PSR
07-06-2006, 19:06
let's just say, with a few exceptions, i wasn't too keen on his team selection. i'm not really a big fan of the dutch league, which clouds my judgement on quite a few players :)

danielf
07-06-2006, 19:13
let's just say, with a few exceptions, i wasn't too keen on his team selection. i'm not really a big fan of the dutch league, which clouds my judgement on quite a few players :)

Fair enough, but he's built a team (at the expense of some players who are/were good, but have egos that are too big). Anyway, the stats are in his favour. One loss in 21 qualifiers/friendlies. Beat the Czech Republic twice in the qualifiers. As a trainer he's built up a lot of credit over this campaign.

jellybaby
07-06-2006, 20:15
Rooney will play in World Cup !!! :hyper:

:)

pedantic
07-06-2006, 20:18

If selected ;) :D

sherer
07-06-2006, 20:56
will either support, apart from England, Czech Republic or Spain

both have good squads and are great on their day but just never seem to do it at a major tourney and end up letting the fans down

just like England :LOL:

pedantic
07-06-2006, 21:05
Well, the odds suggest the winners won't be from south america. It's only happened once, where a south american team won in europe, and that was Brazil (strangely enough ;) ) in 1958, in Sweden.

Nugget
08-06-2006, 10:27
I know it's mean, but it made me laugh!

A Scottish colleague of mine (who I have to say does have a sense of humour, and will appreciate the gag :) ), is foolishly out of the office tomorrow, so it would have been rude of me not to do it :D

Oh, and apologies to all of our Scottish members :)

Just thought I'd show you the finished article - I think his seat looks good with the flag draped over it :D

pedantic
08-06-2006, 11:19
Just thought I'd show you the finished article - I think his seat looks good with the flag draped over it :D

He's gonna love you :D

Nugget
08-06-2006, 11:23
He's gonna love you :D

That's one word for it :disturbd:

gazzae
08-06-2006, 11:31

you'll have to get past the group stages first. ;)

Legendary_PSR
08-06-2006, 12:56
i think every manager has just learned that you should never ever play your first team in friendlies before the world cup.

i don't like or rate cisse, but still, that sucks

well, the odds suggest the winners won't be from south america. It's only happened once, where a south american team won in europe, and that was Brazil (strangely enough ;) ) in 1958, in Sweden.

yeah but history doesn't mean anything.

TheDaddy
08-06-2006, 13:25
yeah but history doesn't mean anything.

It does tend to show a bit of a trend, even in recent years when the traditional difficulties experienced by South American sides is diminishing due to so many of their player's playing in Europe, they still under achieve.

Kliro
08-06-2006, 18:12
Right - as I'm not a football person;

If England were to lose on Saturday would they be knocked out?

Does it get shown on sky or normal TV?

Legendary_PSR
08-06-2006, 18:18
no, although it does greatly reduce their chances of getting through to the next round.

8 groups of 4 teams
the 4 teams play each other once(each team plays 3 games)
3 points for a win, 1 for a draw
top 2 teams from each group qualify for 2nd round

most of(if not all) the matches will be on sky, but they will be shown on BBC or ITV as well

gazzae
08-06-2006, 18:20

Does it get shown on sky or normal TV?

No they are in a group of 4 so its the top 2 after 3 games who go through.

The games are on BBC and ITV.

---------- Post added at 18:20 ---------- Previous post was at 18:19 ----------

most of(if not all) the matches will be on sky, but they will be shown on BBC or ITV as well

Sky don't have any rights.

Legendary_PSR
08-06-2006, 18:26
sorry, i thought they did as they kept advertising it in their "summer of sports" adverts

TheDaddy
08-06-2006, 18:43
sorry, i thought they did as they kept advertising it in their "summer of sports" adverts

No channel has exclusive rights, even UK Gold is showing some games :erm:

gazzae
08-06-2006, 19:51
ITV and BBC own the Uk rights. They sub-letted (?) them to UKTV any game on UKG2 will also be on either BBC or ITV.

TheDaddy
08-06-2006, 19:55
ITV and BBC own the Uk rights. They sub-letted (?) them to UKTV any game on UKG2 will also be on either BBC or ITV.

Are Sky showing any games then?

gazzae
08-06-2006, 20:45
Are Sky showing any games then?

Nope. I don't even think they have highlights.

Legendary_PSR
08-06-2006, 21:08
i just checked and they definitely don't have any highlights of tomorrow's games

Neil
09-06-2006, 07:59

No.

Does it get shown on sky or normal TV? :Yikes:

BBC/BBC HD/ITV/ITV HD + Sky will probably have some kind of rights somewhere!

Russ
09-06-2006, 08:38
It's the eve of your first World Cup game and as a sickeningly nationalist Welshman this goes against everything I have been taught, and it's the last time I will EVER say this, but in the spirit of harmony on CF......

Good Luck England!

I'm now off to scrub myself down with carbolic soap :disturbd:

Nugget
09-06-2006, 09:06
It's the eve of your first World Cup game and as a sickeningly nationalist Welshman this goes against everything I have been taught, and it's the last time I will EVER say this, but in the spirit of harmony on CF......

Good Luck England!

I'm now off to scrub myself down with carbolic soap :disturbd:

Fair play to you Russ - may I be the first to wish good luck for the European qualifiers ;)

Stuart
09-06-2006, 09:53
Well, I'd like to wish Good luck to all of the various british teams taking part. It would be nice to have the world cup won by someone from GB.

Neil
09-06-2006, 15:11
Here's a nice wallplanner for you to download. :tu:

homealone
09-06-2006, 15:17
Here's a nice wallplanner for you to download. :tu:

thanks Neil - just printed that out for one of my colleagues - she says 'thanks' , too :tu:

Neil
09-06-2006, 15:27
thanks Neil - just printed that out for one of my colleagues - she says 'thanks' , too :tu:

No worries. :)

pedantic
09-06-2006, 16:11
I've just seen the German team to play Costa Rica.

Now, I don't watch a lot of German football, and I know Ballack isn't playing, but I only know 3 of the starting eleven. :erm:

Can anyone enlighten me lol.

gazzae
09-06-2006, 16:16
The Germans are crap.

Druchii
09-06-2006, 16:18
I've just seen the German team to play Costa Rica. Now, I don't watch a lot of German football, and I know Ballack isn't playing, but I only know 3 of the starting eleven. :erm: Can anyone enlighten me lol. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2006/4852498.stm

Any help there?

gazzae
09-06-2006, 16:18
So much for me racing home and catching the match :(

There are a number of security alerts across Belfast.
Army technical officers are examining a suspicious object at Clifton Street which has been closed.

Meanwhile, nothing has been found during alerts at the Castlecourt Shopping Centre, High Park Centre and Broadway.

There is also an alert at York Road and traffic is being diverted on to the M2. There are currently tailbacks on Dunbar link, York street, and Milltown Road.

Stuart
09-06-2006, 16:19
I got emailed an interesting Excel spreadsheet for keeping track. It needs macro security set to medium to run (but give you instructions on how to do this). I thought you guys might find it interesting..

I have checked it for viruses, but scan it yourself before executing it.

pedantic
09-06-2006, 16:24
The Germans are crap.

Remains to be seen lol

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2006/4852498.stm

Any help there?

Not really, was hoping someone knew anything about the players, I already know the squad. Thanks though :tu:

I got emailed an interesting Excel spreadsheet for keeping track. It needs macro security set to medium to run (but give you instructions on how to do this). I thought you guys might find it interesting..

I have checked it for viruses, but scan it yourself before executing it.

Thanks for that Stuart, although I don't have the necessary program to run it (yet ;) ) will look into it later. :tu:

gazzae
09-06-2006, 16:32
Remains to be seen lol

True, they were pretty bad in Japanorea and they got to the final.

They leak goals though.

---------- Post added at 16:32 ---------- Previous post was at 16:31 ----------

Not really, was hoping someone knew anything about the players, I already know the squad. Thanks though :tu:

I assume you know Lehmann, Schweinsteiger, Frings and Klose?

pedantic
09-06-2006, 16:38
I assume you know Lehmann, Schweinsteiger, Frings and Klose?

Lehmann, frings, and klose...yes

Schweinsteiger.........I know the name.........remind me lol oops:

gazzae
09-06-2006, 16:40
Lehmann, frings, and klose...yes

Schweinsteiger.........I know the name.........remind me lol oops:

Plays for Bayern Munich, midfielder, pretty young, about 22 or 23

pedantic
09-06-2006, 16:43
Plays for Bayern Munich, midfielder, pretty young, about 22 or 23

Ah right thanks.

I would have said playing for Bayern, he must be a talent, but the German league is not as strong as years gone by.

gazzae
09-06-2006, 16:46
He's been called the next Stefan Effenberg.
Hopefully that won't mean he'll get kicked out of the world cup for giving the opposing fans the finger.

pedantic
09-06-2006, 16:50
He's been called the next Stefan Effenberg.
Hopefully that won't mean he'll get kicked out of the world cup for giving the opposing fans the finger.

I had to re-read that then, thought you said Stefan Edberg for a minute oops:

Not only was Edberg a tennis player, but is Swedish too. :dozey: :dunce:

Let's see how good these Germans are then. :naughty:

Druchii
09-06-2006, 17:19
I had to re-read that then, thought you said Stefan Edberg for a minute oops: Not only was Edberg a tennis player, but is Swedish too. :dozey: :dunce: Let's see how good these Germans are then. :naughty: Streaming over the BBC now :)

---------- Post added at 17:14 ---------- Previous post was at 16:51 ----------

Germany 1 - Costa Rica - 1
Lahm 6 12 Wanchope

---------- Post added at 17:19 ---------- Previous post was at 17:14 ----------

Germany 2 - Costa Rica - 1
Lahm 6 12 Wanchope
Klose 17

GOAL!

Legendary_PSR
09-06-2006, 17:51
lahm's goal was really good. germany's defence is terrible(at their best), and might actually benefit by having friedrich sent off(for just being crap)

cool first goal

Druchii
09-06-2006, 17:53
Half Time, Germany 2 - Costa Rica 1

---------- Post added at 17:53 ---------- Previous post was at 17:52 ----------

lahm's goal was really good. germany's defence is terrible(at their best), and might actually benefit by having friedrich sent off(for just being crap) cool first goal That was an excellent first goal :)

Let's just see what they're like in the second half.

Legendary_PSR
09-06-2006, 18:50
i can't believe lawrenson is trying to take as much credit away from frings as possible

very entertaining game, but i don't think kahn should be grinning when his team concedes a goal.

i hope england get them in the 2nd round cos this germany team(except for a select few) is rubbish

i thought frings' goal was just better than lahm's BTW

moving onto a different game for a second, i have no idea why pekerman insists on "hiding"(for lack of a better term) "carlitos" tevez. he is by far argentina's best player, yet pekerman would rather play saviola, who is far past his best(which is sad for a player his age)

iadom
09-06-2006, 20:28
did you see that big, sarcastic grin on Oliver Kahn's face when Wanchope put the second (offside) goal in against Lehman, classic sour kraut. :D

Mal
09-06-2006, 20:35
Ecuador seemed to have made a lively start 1-0 up

TigaSefi
09-06-2006, 21:59
I see the **** of a manager that is Alex Ferguson is ****ed off that he got told by Sven on Rooney that now he gone and tried to unsettle Carrick by tabling a £10 million bid, I hope Jol tells him to knob off!!

Mal
09-06-2006, 22:01
I see the **** of a manager that is Alex Ferguson is ****ed off that he got told by Sven on Rooney that now he gone and tried to unsettle Carrick by tabling a £10 million bid, I hope Jol tells him to knob off!!I think that you will find another thread here (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=47978) for non world cup posts. ;)

I see the logic there...Sven annoys him, so Fergie goes and tries to get revenge by trying to sign Carrick...okay...you're not a scouse lover are you ;)

pedantic
10-06-2006, 01:07
Plus the fact that Carrick isn't even going to be in the starting eleven. How can that be unsettling ? He's probably more concerned with making an impression with Sven, than wondering about where he will be in 6 weeks time.

And just to add, where exactly did this source come from ? If Man U signed every player they were linked with, they would have a squad of 200 every season.

Russ
10-06-2006, 10:47
Anyone else think the Embrace single is possibly the worst World Cup song ever?

IMO a football song needs to have more than a hint of 'laddishness' to it (a la Vindaloo, 3 Lions etc) - the problem is Embrace are too middle class to be 'lads'!

Druchii
10-06-2006, 11:48
Anyone else think the Embrace single is possibly the worst World Cup song ever? IMO a football song needs to have more than a hint of 'laddishness' to it (a la Vindaloo, 3 Lions etc) - the problem is Embrace are too middle class to be 'lads'! Not even heard that song yet, am i lucky?

punky
10-06-2006, 13:20
Anyone else think the Embrace single is possibly the worst World Cup song ever?

IMO a football song needs to have more than a hint of 'laddishness' to it (a la Vindaloo, 3 Lions etc) - the problem is Embrace are too middle class to be 'lads'!

If you're talking about travesty of England football songs - how about Christie's new effort? Flogging a dead 'orse ain't in it... :td:

Kliro
10-06-2006, 14:12
Own goal in 3 mins by gamarra!

Haha, I don't really like football, but this is fun :D

LemonyBrainAid
10-06-2006, 14:59
Own goal in 3 mins by gamarra!

Haha, I don't really like football, but this is fun :D

Lol! Half time 1-0 to England!

Own goal was so funny... :P

Druchii
10-06-2006, 16:04
England 1 - Paraguay 0

Well done England, well played, apart form appearing mega tired near the end... Mind you it was 30'C out there!

What was with the refferee though? Not letting water onto the pitch? Almost everything went Paraguays way in the second half as well.
Noi complaints though :D Keep it up for the rest of the WC :D

MadGamer
10-06-2006, 16:53
I have a World Cup Chart in Excel that i downloaded, and i need to fill in the Scores from games

Germany vs Costa Rica
Poland vs Ecuador

Trouble is the BBC website is un avaliable for me at the moment, so i cant check.

Druchii
10-06-2006, 16:55
I have a World Cup Chart in Excel that i downloaded, and i need to fill in the Scores from games Germany vs Costa Rica Poland vs Ecuador Trouble is the BBC website is un avaliable for me at the moment, so i cant check.

Germany 4 V Costa Rica 2

Poland 0 V Ecuador 2

MadGamer
10-06-2006, 16:57
I have a World Cup Chart in Excel that i downloaded, and i need to fill in the Scores from games Germany vs Costa Rica Poland vs Ecuador Trouble is the BBC website is un avaliable for me at the moment, so i cant check.

Germany 4 V Costa Rica 2

Poland 0 V Ecuador 2 ahh cheers :tu:

Druchii
10-06-2006, 17:05
ahh cheers :tu: No probs, now send me that Excel table :p

Can't find it, i know it was posted here somewhere.

Legendary_PSR
10-06-2006, 17:21
so much for the world cup being about beautiful football. all the trindad players want to kick is swedish footballers

Druchii
10-06-2006, 17:24
so much for the world cup being about beautiful football. all the trindad players want to kick is swedish footballers IS the game on now? Don't tell me i'm missing it :(

Legendary_PSR
10-06-2006, 17:30
ITV. not missing much. i guess i'll have to remind you argentina v cote d'ivoire is on at 8 :)

Druchii
10-06-2006, 17:34
No probs, now send me that Excel table :p Can't find it, i know it was posted here somewhere. Found it here - http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showpost.php?p=755412&postcount=36

Also, i think i'll skip the current match and watch the Argies instead :D

Legendary_PSR
10-06-2006, 17:35
you're making some good choices today

MadGamer
10-06-2006, 17:35
so much for the world cup being about beautiful football. all the trindad players want to kick is swedish footballers IS the game on now? Don't tell me i'm missing it :( Here ya go Druchii :)

Druchii
10-06-2006, 17:36
you're making some good choices today Haha, thanks :D

MadGamer, i got one, about 2 posts ago, still repping you for it though :D

MadGamer
10-06-2006, 17:39
you're making some good choices today Haha, thanks :D

MadGamer, i got one, about 2 posts ago, still repping you for it though :D

Damm, its the bloody size of the file, thats why i had to zip it.

Gareth
10-06-2006, 17:45
Here's what I use... http://www.nationwide.co.uk/NR/rdonlyres/D994E6E5-78CF-4046-A24D-92FE2036D3DC/0/wallchart.pdf

Druchii
10-06-2006, 17:52
Here's what I use... http://www.nationwide.co.uk/NR/rdonlyres/D994E6E5-78CF-4046-A24D-92FE2036D3DC/0/wallchart.pdf Heh, just crashed Fx clicking on that... Right Click Save as for me then...

---------- Post added at 17:52 ---------- Previous post was at 17:51 ----------

Getting less than 2kbps here...

budwieser
10-06-2006, 18:02
England 1 - Paraguay 0

Well done England, well played, apart form appearing mega tired near the end... Mind you it was 30'C out there!

What was with the refferee though? Not letting water onto the pitch? Almost everything went Paraguays way in the second half as well.
Noi complaints though :D Keep it up for the rest of the WC :D

The ref was bang out of order and as for penalising Peter Crouch everytime!:td: :mad:
England got through it as they always do But what was Sven thinking by taking Michael Owen off!? :Yikes: :Yikes: :disturbd: :Yikes:

Druchii
10-06-2006, 18:12
The ref was bang out of order and as for penalising Peter Crouch everytime!:td: :mad: England got through it as they always do But what was Sven thinking by taking Michael Owen off!? :Yikes: :Yikes: :disturbd: :Yikes: Owen in my view is still not 100% fit. He took him off to rest him i guess, besides after that amount of the match we still had chances to score if need be.

To be honest we played down to there standards. Not good IMO.

budwieser
10-06-2006, 18:19
:) Owen in my view is still not 100% fit. He took him off to rest him i guess, besides after that amount of the match we still had chances to score if need be.

To be honest we played down to there standards. Not good IMO.

So, How could we score with nobody up front to be fed by Crouch.?
I also think thay Gerrard and Lampard had a pretty crap game as well. Not taking anything away from the boys. 3 points is 3 points.:D :)

gazzae
10-06-2006, 18:55
Does Robinson win a prize for hitting the TV screen?

Druchii
10-06-2006, 18:56
Does Robinson win a prize for hitting the TV screen? :rofl: Now that was good :D

Shouldn't the ball have come back to us? As it was something in the way that shouldn't have been?

Gareth
10-06-2006, 19:00
The T&T v Sweden is a great result for England!!! :hyper:

gazzae
10-06-2006, 19:09
:rofl: Now that was good :D

Shouldn't the ball have come back to us? As it was something in the way that shouldn't have been?

It was a drop ball. England didn't contest it and Paraguay kept the ball. For some reason players never seem to contest drop balls anymore.

Druchii
10-06-2006, 19:09
The T&T v Sweden is a great result for England!!! :hyper: Elaborate?

---------- Post added at 19:09 ---------- Previous post was at 19:09 ----------

It was a drop ball. England didn't contest it and Paraguay kept the ball. For some reason players never seem to contest drop balls anymore. Maybe they got used to be overruled all the time and get bored of arguing over something so small?
Or, they don't realise they can contest it :p

Gareth
10-06-2006, 19:16
Elaborate?Cause now we're the only team in the group to have won a match... I thought Sweden would win both today and against Paraguay, and I thought we'd win on Friday against T&T, which would mean we'd go into the match against Sweden battling for 1st or 2nd, to decide whether we play Germany in the next round or play the runner-up of Group A.

So, to cut a long story short, if we win on Friday, then draw against Sweden that makes us the group winners :)

Druchii
10-06-2006, 19:21
Cause now we're the only team in the group to have won a match... I thought Sweden would win both today and against Paraguay, and I thought we'd win on Friday against T&T, which would mean we'd go into the match against Sweden battling for 1st or 2nd, to decide whether we play Germany in the next round or play the runner-up of Group A. So, to cut a long story short, if we win on Friday, then draw against Sweden that makes us the group winners :) Heh, yeah, sorry i just looked at the groups again to refresh my mind, i can see it all now.

To me that says T&T are a very strong team, having held together with 10 men against Sweden.

Legendary_PSR
10-06-2006, 21:03
saviola scoring after me slagging him off was predictable :)

Nugget
11-06-2006, 00:25
So, to cut a long story short, if we win on Friday, then draw against Sweden that makes us the group winners :)

Hey, if we win on Friday, we must be through to the semis automatically - let's face it, if we beat T & T in the scheduled game on Thursday, we must get extra points for playing 24 hours later ;)

Legendary_PSR
11-06-2006, 13:00
what odds would anyone give me on essien getting sent off?

ikthius
11-06-2006, 14:16

I thought it would update who won the leagues to winner A player runner up B, it does not.

also can I unprotect it to update it?

if so how?

ik

Legendary_PSR
11-06-2006, 15:53
holland remind me of germany, only better - great going forward but have 3 absolute crap defenders

---------- Post added at 15:53 ---------- Previous post was at 14:34 ----------

i think the only person on the pitch worse than landzaart was the ref

ikthius
11-06-2006, 23:28
I thought it would update who won the leagues to winner A player runner up B, it does not.

also can I unprotect it to update it?

if so how?

ik

not to worry, I found one the exact same but this time it updates everything correctly.

ik

Legendary_PSR
11-06-2006, 23:29
good to see the "underdogs" are still putting in a fight.

in fact, the only team that fear anyone seems to be england

pedantic
12-06-2006, 00:43
Good to see referee, Markus Merk, booking Koroman for brandishing an invisible yellow card. I thought fifa was clamping down on this ? I've seen it happen a few times already, but Merk is the only one (so far) to adhere to the fifa directive.

TheDaddy
12-06-2006, 20:53
I am enjoying the Italy- Ghana game, very open for Italians

Legendary_PSR
12-06-2006, 21:36
it has been very good. i think ghana have done really well. i'm fed up of hearing about the "swerce" on the new ball and i'm so glad cannavaro is playing crap

glad, but not surprised

---------- Post added at 21:34 ---------- Previous post was at 21:00 ----------

so now according to motson, if an opponent is offside, you are allowed to go up to another player and foul him

just retire already you senile old...

---------- Post added at 21:36 ---------- Previous post was at 21:34 ----------

ghana should be down to 9 men by now. of course, you wouldn't expect anything less from a team with essien as a star player.

TheDaddy
12-06-2006, 21:49
Essien was immense in the first half, just the sort of performance he has not been turning in for Chelsea this season, sadly when he faded so did any chance of Ghana winning.

danielf
12-06-2006, 22:52
The USA might as well book their tickets back home. Nice! :tu: :D

Nugget
12-06-2006, 22:58
so now according to motson, if an opponent is offside, you are allowed to go up to another player and foul him

just retire already you senile old...

Well, it's not actually according to Motty - the laws of the game state that play stops when the referee sees the linesmans flag raised. As such, technically, there was no foul :shrug:

Wicked_and_Crazy
12-06-2006, 23:00
Well, it's not actually according to Motty - the laws of the game state that play stops when the referee sees the linesmans flag raised. As such, technically, there was no foul :shrug:

to be fair, if the whistle had blown and then one player punched another would the ref intervene??

danielf
12-06-2006, 23:06
to be fair, if the whistle had blown and then one player punched another would the ref intervene??

He could be sent off for bringing the game into disrepute.

Wicked_and_Crazy
12-06-2006, 23:08
He could be sent off for bringing the game into disrepute.

exactly, so what has the fact that the whistle has blown got to do with anything?

Nugget
12-06-2006, 23:08

Depends if the player deserved it ;)

As I understand it, play had technically stopped, so no infringement of the rules has taken place. In this instance, while it was a bad tackle, there was nothing the ref could do about it - the Ghanaian didn't necessarily know that the linesman had his flag raised. Doesn't excuse the tackle, but them's the breaks :shrug:

Wicked_and_Crazy
12-06-2006, 23:10

As I understand it, play had technically stopped, so no infringement of the rules has taken place. In this instance, while it was a bad tackle, there was nothing the ref could do about it - the Ghanaian didn't necessarily know that the linesman had his flag raised. Doesn't excuse the tackle, but them's the breaks :shrug:

True, whistle or no whistle, a bad tackle can still be carded

cant it?

danielf
12-06-2006, 23:13

Well, I was wondering about this as well. So apparently, there are rules which apply during play, and rule that apply when play is stopped. You can get a card for disagreeing with the ref, taking your shirt off, throwing the ball away, hitting/kicking an opponent when play is stopped, but not for a tackle? Seems a bit strange to me...

Nugget
12-06-2006, 23:16
True, whistle or no whistle, a bad tackle can still be carded

cant it?

Yeah (in fact, you can be 'sent off' after the final whistle has been blown). However, in this case, you'd have to argue the the Ghanaian player showed intent to injure the Italian - in my opinion, there was no intent; it was just that he was crap at tackling.

As I said, as the last man, technically, he should have been sent off but, again technically, there was no infringement of the rules as play had stopped :shrug:

---------- Post added at 23:16 ---------- Previous post was at 23:14 ----------

Well, I was wondering about this as well. So apparently, there are rules which apply during play, and rule that apply when play is stopped. You can get a card for disagreeing with the ref, taking your shirt off, throwing the ball away, hitting/kicking an opponent when play is stopped, but not for a tackle? Seems a bit strange to me...

It is strange, no question about it. However, if play has stopped, there is no foul - again, IMO, there was no particular intent, it was just a poor tackle...

Wicked_and_Crazy
12-06-2006, 23:16
Yeah (in fact, you can be 'sent off' after the final whistle has been blown). However, in this case, you'd have to argue the the Ghanaian player showed intent to injure the Italian - in my opinion, there was no intent; it was just that he was crap at tackling.

As I said, as the last man, technically, he should have been sent off but, again technically, there was no infringement of the rules as play had stopped :shrug:

Your not a LAYYYYYYDY referee are you?? Cant make a decision :D

Nugget
12-06-2006, 23:17
Your not a LAYYYYYYDY referee are you?? Cant make a decision :D

Well, you've hit the nail on the head there - what if the ref was checking his lippy in his mirror when the foul was committed :D

gazzae
12-06-2006, 23:18
If the ref deemed it dangerous play then he should have shown a card regardless of the whistle. But as the player was off-side there is no sending off for being the last man.

Nugget
12-06-2006, 23:19
If the ref deemed it dangerous play then he should have shown a card regardless of the whistle. But as the player was off-side there is no sending off for being the last man.

Actually, I can't remember - was he even booked?

danielf
12-06-2006, 23:20

I don't think anyone is saying he should have been sent off for taking down the last man. We're saying the tackle itself was worth sending off.

---------- Post added at 23:20 ---------- Previous post was at 23:19 ----------

Nope...

TheDaddy
12-06-2006, 23:20

No he got away with it

Nugget
12-06-2006, 23:23
I don't think anyone is saying he should have been sent off for taking down the last man. We're saying the tackle itself was worth sending off.

It was, but the rules are the rules :shrug:

Nope...

Ta muchly :)

---------- Post added at 23:23 ---------- Previous post was at 23:22 ----------

No he got away with it

Again. it's not a case of 'getting away with it' - no rule was broken.

gazzae
12-06-2006, 23:31
I'm not so sure, the laws of the game, when discussing fouls and serious foul play, dont make any reference to the ball being in play.

TheDaddy
12-06-2006, 23:34
As John Motson said ' justice was served in the end' as it was the same two players involved in the second goal

Nugget
12-06-2006, 23:43
I'm not so sure, the laws of the game, when discussing fouls and serious foul play, dont make any reference to the ball being in play.

Well, as I understand it, it wasn't a case of the ball not being in play, it was more that play had actually stopped.

I could be wrong of course, but that's just how I see it :)

homealone
12-06-2006, 23:58
see, when you are my age, avoiding all this stress can only be good :)

gazzae
13-06-2006, 11:20
Commentators...you are supposed to be in Germany to work. Please, instead of sunbathing between games, try and learn how to pronounce the names of players.

It's PIRLO not PEARLO!
ROSICKY only has ONE S!

---------- Post added at 11:20 ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 ----------

Oh and another thing. We all know how you like to talk about the Africans and their "naive" defending. But I don't really think it applies to a player who now plays in Italy, after spending 10 years at Bayern Munich where he won the European Cup.

TheDaddy
13-06-2006, 12:21
Commentators...you are supposed to be in Germany to work. Please, instead of sunbathing between games, try and learn how to pronounce the names of players.

It's PIRLO not PEARLO!
ROSICKY only has ONE S!

---------- Post added at 11:20 ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 ----------

Oh and another thing. We all know how you like to talk about the Africans and their "naive" defending. But I don't really think it applies to a player who now plays in Italy, after spending 10 years at Bayern Munich where he won the European Cup.

It could be worse apparently the American commentators think we are Germany and spend a lot of their time discussing 'Martin Rooney' :confused:

Stuart
13-06-2006, 12:29
If you have the red and white face paint, and England get knocked out..

gazzae
13-06-2006, 12:35
Up there with whoever was doing the Czech Republic - USA game.

He said something along the lines of "USA have never beaten european opponents in the World Cup." Then the next thing he said was "they will be hoping to get off to a good start as they did in 2002 where they beat Portugal 3-2"

danielf
13-06-2006, 12:37

I see France are ready to surrender...

Legendary_PSR
13-06-2006, 13:44
well technically it was a "lunging tackle" from behind - a sending off offense, and happened after the whistle was blown - which is also a red card

the refs have been very poor so far

It's PIRLO not PEARLO!
ROSICKY only has ONE S!

not forgetting pearce constantly changing how he said mahdavikia's name.

to me, the worst one is how they say gabriel heinze's surname, especially considering it's a german name(his father is german)

we don't say "hainz' baked beans" do we?

but i agree, commentator's being unable to say a player's name winds me up far more than it should :D

Stuart
13-06-2006, 13:46
I see France are ready to surrender...

:D

TheDaddy
13-06-2006, 13:59
Apparently Freddie Ljunberg is desperate to beat England so the English players at Arsenal don't take the mick out of him :erm: :confused: with Sol Campbell and Ashley Cole possibly leaving that only leaves young Theo and he needs a note from his mum before he can play.

pedantic
13-06-2006, 14:00
I see those "efficient" Germans, just played the South Korea national anthem "twice", instead of the Togo anthem straight after the Korean one.

Vorsprung Durch Technik :D

Legendary_PSR
13-06-2006, 14:52
some good stuff being said :)

gazzae
13-06-2006, 15:55
Got these from another site...

Canadian TV
Anchorman: "Craig, how will the Mexican goalkeeper approach this game, given what's happened to him this week?"
Craig Forrest: "Well, his father passed away on Thursday - he'll be disappointed with that..."

From ABC's commentary of England v Paraguay:
"There can't be a player with more hype surrounding them than Michael Beckham."

danielf
13-06-2006, 16:10
What was the name of that lunatic Mexican(?) goalkeeper again that jumped up and backheeled the ball instead of just catching a, a few world cups ago?

Nugget
13-06-2006, 16:18
What was the name of that lunatic Mexican(?) goalkeeper again that jumped up and backheeled the ball instead of just catching a, a few world cups ago?

That was Rene Higuita, matey :)

EDIT: Oh, and he was Columbian :)

DOUBLE EDIT: Oh, and I think the scorpion kick was against England in a friendly :)

gazzae
13-06-2006, 16:20
Sure was...

http://www.thefa.com/England/SeniorTeam/NewsAndFeatures/Postings/2005/05/England_vColombia_1995.htm

danielf
13-06-2006, 16:29
Sure was...

http://www.thefa.com/England/SeniorTeam/NewsAndFeatures/Postings/2005/05/England_vColombia_1995.htm

That's the one ;) Classic, but complete lunacy.

Nugget
13-06-2006, 16:33
Out of interest, Higuita actually went on some sort of celebrity makeover show in Columbia, which has radically altered his appearance. Apologies for the really small picture, but it was only one I could find that showed him before and after :)

gazzae
13-06-2006, 16:36
Didn't he also end up in Jail after being caught working for Pablo Escobar.

Nugget
13-06-2006, 16:42

Yup:

In Colombia footballers have even managed to find themselves on the wrong side of the law in kidnap cases. The national team's former goalkeeper, Rene Higuita, spent six months in jail after being accused of acting as an intermediary in the kidnap of the daughter of a drug baron, Carlos Molina, by another drug baron, Pablo Escobar

iadom
13-06-2006, 16:52
Commentating classic from Dion Dublin during the Mexico v Iran game on Radio 5 Live, "He's given away a corner, but rather a corner than a goal at this stage." :disturbd: :D

TheDaddy
13-06-2006, 17:41

I think he also played midfield for his club team when the mood took him :erm:

danielf
13-06-2006, 18:13
Yup:

In Colombia footballers have even managed to find themselves on the wrong side of the law in kidnap cases. The national team's former goalkeeper, Rene Higuita, spent six months in jail after being accused of acting as an intermediary in the kidnap of the daughter of a drug baron, Carlos Molina, by another drug baron, Pablo Escobar

In Columbia footballers are even known to get killed for scoring an own goal in the world cup... :rolleyes:

budwieser
13-06-2006, 18:23
Apparently Freddie Ljunberg is desperate to beat England so the English players at Arsenal don't take the mick out of him :erm: :confused: with Sol Campbell and Ashley Cole possibly leaving that only leaves young Theo and he needs a note from his mum before he can play.

Thats if Rooney doesn`t break his Bloody Legs first!!!!!!!!! :D

TheDaddy
13-06-2006, 18:27
Thats if Rooney doesn`t break his Bloody Legs first!!!!!!!!! :D

Yes I saw that, getting a little carried away me thinks ;)

budwieser
13-06-2006, 19:27
Yes I saw that, getting a little carried away me thinks ;)

Let Rooney play, He`s gagging to get out there.

Gareth
13-06-2006, 21:06
Anyone know who the commentator was for the French/Switzerland game earlier today? The northern bloke, I mean.

Shadow Demon UK
13-06-2006, 21:12
Mick McCarthy

Gareth
13-06-2006, 21:25
Cheers, Shadow Demon

jellybaby
13-06-2006, 22:10
Well the Brazil Croatia game was a right let down. Been looking forward to this game all week :(

ikthius
13-06-2006, 22:13
Well the Brazil Croatia game was a right let down. Been looking forward to this game all week :(

same here, I was really dissapointed, and I had Ronaldo as my captain in my dream team, thinking he would bag a good few in the tournament, but now I am not so sure.......

ik

TheDaddy
13-06-2006, 22:17
They looked like one of those Masters teams, I hardly think the likes of Argentina will be worried by Roberto Carlos and Cafu weezing their way up and down the wings Emerson kicking everything including his team mates and the barrel up front, admitedly they may worry about Adriano, Ronhaldinho and Kaka.

sherer
14-06-2006, 10:44
might as well have been in a cave for all the WC i seen in the past few days but got back last night to watch the Brasil game and thought it was a great game and so unlucky on Croatia that they didn't get a draw.. Brasil didn't look like a great side but unlike England think they will show signs of improvement

as for commentators can we please get rid of David Pleat.. he can't pronounce anything correctly and everything he says is a load of rubbish too

pedantic
14-06-2006, 10:49
might as well have been in a cave for all the WC i seen in the past few days but got back last night to watch the Brasil game and thought it was a great game and so unlucky on Croatia that they didn't get a draw.. Brasil didn't look like a great side but unlike England think they will show signs of improvement

as for commentators can we please get rid of David Pleat.. he can't pronounce anything correctly and everything he says is a load of rubbish too

Agree with you about Pleat.

I wish someone would tell that bloke, there is more than one team in Manchester. Everytime I hear him refer to Man U, he simply calls them "Manchester". :rolleyes:

gazzae
14-06-2006, 12:17
Here's another one..

'Klose scored three in Germany's opening game of the last World Cup and he's done exactly the same this time, scoring two

---------- Post added at 12:17 ---------- Previous post was at 11:25 ----------

Anyone know who the commentator was for the French/Switzerland game earlier today? The northern bloke, I mean.

He sounds really Irish doesn't he!

yesman
15-06-2006, 00:07
I get this feeling that Sven is on a mission to prove the FA wrong and that if England win The World Cup, two fingers will follow.......
Check out the News conference: Sven-Goran Eriksson link in the report below.
I have never seen Sven quite in this mood before
BBC Sport (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2006/teams/england/5044098.stm)

danielf
15-06-2006, 00:22
I get this feeling that Sven is on a mission to prove the FA wrong and that if England win The World Cup, two fingers will follow.......
Check out the News conference: Sven-Goran Eriksson link in the report below.
I have never seen Sven quite in this mood before
BBC Sport (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2006/teams/england/5044098.stm)

"But it was not that bad against Paraguay. We had 53% possession and for shots on goal we are the best of all the teams after their first match, with 13, along with Brazil.

What planet is this man from? England were booting the ball up the park, giving it to the opposition. Against a poor side...

yesman
15-06-2006, 00:39
What planet is this man from? England were booting the ball up the park, giving it to the opposition. Against a poor side...

I think he quoted stats from the game as England had a poor second half display against Paraguay, who actually are not a bad side, I seem to remember that they beat Brazil the last time the two teams met.

Anyway, it was nice to see Ronaldo of Brazil yesterday trying to emulate Ruud Van Nistelrooy's performance for the Dutch side, in fact I think he accomplished it quite well :D

danielf
15-06-2006, 00:50
I think he quoted stats from the game as England had a poor second half display against Paraguay, who actually are not a bad side, I seem to remember that they beat Brazil the last time the two teams met.

Paraguay were poor on Saturday...

Anyway, it was nice to see Ronaldo of Brazil yesterday trying to emulate Ruud Van Nistelrooy's performance for the Dutch side, in fact I think he accomplished it quite well :D

Ooh, touche...;) But then again, Holland had Robben. Robben alone was more exciting to watch than the whole of Brazil imo. If he remembers to pass it to Ruud occasionally on Friday, all will be well. (I hope :D)

TheDaddy
15-06-2006, 00:54
What was that nosense about Van Persie accusing Robben of hogging all the limelight about

danielf
15-06-2006, 01:11
What was that nosense about Van Persie accusing Robben of hogging all the limelight about

There's nothing to it. From what I've heard, van Persie made a comment about Robben playing really well, but how it would have been better for the team if he'd had a little more eye for his team mates. Apparently, it was said in a rather analytic and intelligent fashion. There certainly was no mention of 'hogging the limelight' (or similar words). Last I heard of it, van Persie declined to comment on it any further, as it was quoted out of context, and he didn't want to give further quotes that could be misused. I don't think it's an issue in the Holland camo.

TheDaddy
15-06-2006, 01:26
There's nothing to it. From what I've heard, van Persie made a comment about Robben playing really well, but how it would have been better for the team if he'd had a little more eye for his team mates. Apparently, it was said in a rather analytic and intelligent fashion. There certainly was no mention of 'hogging the limelight' (or similar words). Last I heard of it, van Persie declined to comment on it any further, as it was quoted out of context, and he didn't want to give further quotes that could be misused. I don't think it's an issue in the Holland camo.

I hope it's not an issue it has taken less than that for rattles to be thrown from prams before, I can't remember who mis-quoted him but I think it was on a BBC commentary.

liamboyle06
15-06-2006, 09:19
Spains performance yesterday was nothing short of amazing - by far the best team in the WC to date.
I dont think it was a penality and if no red card was given, it would not have been as easy, but their performance was amazing.

sherer
15-06-2006, 11:00
damn Poland so nearly got a draw but then the germans got lucky again

Spain looked good when I saw the first half

England were woefull against Paraguay.. they had their second keeper on for most of the match and he only had to make one save.. hardley good enough IMO

we need to do better against T & T but then they played really well against Sweden

---------- Post added at 11:00 ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 ----------

seems the German's and the Poles have been fighting

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/5081684.stm

300 arrests were made.. England aren't the only nation that has hooligans and fighting it just that when other nations do it it never gets reported as much over here so we think it is just us

danielf
15-06-2006, 11:16
Apparently, Ronaldo (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2006/teams/brazil/5082226.stm) suffered from dizzyness during the Brazil game. He was very poor in the '98 final against France as well. I believe he had some form of epileptic fit the day before that final.

---------- Post added at 11:16 ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 ----------

damn Poland so nearly got a draw but then the germans got lucky again

I don't think it's luck. They just never give up, and that often gives them the game in the final minutes. They had loads of chances in the last 15 minutes. It was just a matter of time before one went in (especially with Poland reduced to 10 men).

TheDaddy
15-06-2006, 22:58
Apparently Ecuador have an Amazonian witch doctor on their coaching staff :erm:, how cool is that ;)

pedantic
15-06-2006, 23:31
Apparently Ecuador have an Amazonian witch doctor on their coaching staff :erm:, how cool is that ;)

Well, we used to have something similar ourselves. But it never did us any good, did it.

But enough about Eileen Drury............

Gareth
16-06-2006, 00:06
As much as I think Peter Crouch is an over-rated numpty that's only in the squad because he's 4-foot taller than the rest of the players (and to think I'm a Villa fan too! :rolleyes: ), at least he managed to put us out of our misery tonight. Gerrard's goal was much better, but I wonder if he'd have been as relaxed if Crouch hadn't secured the win a few minutes earlier...?

Overall, England's performance left me not overly impressed. For the best part of 80 minutes, we'd have counted ourselves lucky to have not lost the match. Let's hope we can improve for Tuesday's match against Sven's countrymen.

danielf
16-06-2006, 00:20
As much as I think Peter Crouch is an over-rated numpty that's only in the squad because he's 4-foot taller than the rest of the players (and to think I'm a Villa fan too! :rolleyes: ), at least he managed to put us out of our misery tonight. Gerrard's goal was much better, but I wonder if he'd have been as relaxed if Crouch hadn't secured the win a few minutes earlier...?

Overall, England's performance left me not overly impressed. For the best part of 80 minutes, we'd have counted ourselves lucky to have not lost the match. Let's hope we can improve for Tuesday's match against Sven's countrymen.

Aaron Lennon (and Stuart Downing) made all the difference tonight imo. England were poor for the first hour, but after the substitutions, it seemed there was a purpose to the team. I don't think Rooney made much of an impact, but he needs some time. If England can play like they did in the last 30 minutes for a full game, they might be in with a shout. Stop playing long balls as the default. England have one hell of a midfield. Use it, don't skip it...

As for Sweden: They will want to attack, so there will be loads more space, which will suit England.

Gareth
16-06-2006, 00:29
Yes, good point, daniel. Lennon was very impressive. Let's hope we see more of him next week.

Who have the Netherlands got next?

---------- Post added at 00:29 ---------- Previous post was at 00:27 ----------

Oh, just seen it's the Ivory Coast tomorrow.... should be pretty easy ;)

danielf
16-06-2006, 00:33
Yes, good point, daniel. Lennon was very impressive. Let's hope we see more of him next week.

Who have the Netherlands got next?

Ivory Coast (Billed as Robben v. Drogba :) ). 5pm Tomorrow. Let's hope we win this. We'd be through to the last 16 with Wednesday's match against Argentina deciding on top spot in the group (assuming Argentina beat Serbia & Monte Negro).

Greetings from the group of death :shocked: :)

sherer
16-06-2006, 11:51
Sven said we were better than against Paraguay but i didn't see that myself.. owen is still not fit and wasn't very good and neither was Crouch.. even I could have scored that header.. not a great performance.. didn't think much of J Cole either but Lampard played well and gerrard scored a belter but T & T gave us a few problems and they not even that good

is Walcott isn't even good enough to come on against T & T who is he good enough for

Rooney still isn't fit and didn't have a great game.. seeing as he could have been injured straight away surely theo should have come on first

did anyone notice who Posh never cheered when we scored a if because if wasn't Beckham scoring she didn't really care ?

orangebird
16-06-2006, 11:59
Sven said we were better than against Paraguay but i didn't see that myself.. owen is still not fit and wasn't very good and neither was Crouch.. even I could have scored that header.. not a great performance.. didn't think much of J Cole either but Lampard played well and gerrard scored a belter but T & T gave us a few problems and they not even that good

I really felt for fatty (lampard). How many times???!!! Englands possesion was great, but they just couldn't convert.

is Walcott isn't even good enough to come on against T & T who is he good enough for

Sweden I reckin - we don't need to win it now so maybe a good time to experiment with him?

Rooney still isn't fit and didn't have a great game.. seeing as he could have been injured straight away surely theo should have come on first

I don't think he was needed last night. And I can't believe Owen was taken off - he needs 90mins!!!!!! How the hell else is he going to get his very fragile coinfidence back? Crouch should've gone off, and Walcott on.

Downing makes my heart sink - he is NOT world class and should NOT be on the team, at all. Lennon though is a different matter. He's bloody fantastic. The game picked up as soon as he was brought on. He is text book perfection, he really is. And he's at Spurs too :D:D:D
did anyone notice who Posh never cheered when we scored a if because if wasn't Beckham scoring she didn't really care ?

She's his wife and she's there to support him. Myabe she's just not that into footbal, but wants to be there for her husband, who might I add, is on top form this tournament. :tu:

Legendary_PSR
16-06-2006, 13:52
i wonder how many times the commentators while call "rodriguez" by the name of "gonzales" in the next match even though:
a) it's "maxi rodriguez" and
b) luis gonzalez doesn't even go by the name "luis gonzalez" anymore. he is just simply called "Lucho" now

am i being just a little too picky? yes, but isn't that the whole point of the internet :)

pedantic
16-06-2006, 14:54
If there's been a better team goal, other than Argentina's 2nd goal, I haven't seen it. Pure Class !

Saaf_laandon_mo
16-06-2006, 15:05
that 2nd Argie goal was pure class........... I think they mean business

pedantic
16-06-2006, 15:51
What a joy to watch, Argentina were. I hope we get more performances like that (hopefully from England ;)) throughout the rest of the competition.

danielf
16-06-2006, 15:55
Well, Argentina have definitely nailed their colours to the mast. One class outfit...

ikthius
16-06-2006, 16:07
Argentina are looking good for it, and no way would england beat them the way they (both) are playing now.

England are damn lucky to beat Paraguay and TnT but Artgentina are looking much better than a few months ago.

the only teams so far to look as good has been Ivory Coast (for me) and Spain.

ik

pedantic
16-06-2006, 16:19
Argentina are looking good for it, and no way would england beat them the way they (both) are playing now.

England are damn lucky to beat Paraguay and TnT but Artgentina are looking much better than a few months ago.

ik

I take your points about Argentina, and Ivory Coast and Spain.

But there is another thread here (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=47882) you may want to post in about England. Let's not have two threads with the same comments in. ;)

Asghar
16-06-2006, 16:23
Very impressed with Argentina, they showed how football should be played with great passing instead of long 50/50 balls into the box.

danielf
16-06-2006, 16:23
Argentina move into second spot with the bookies

http://www.willhill.com/iibs/en/buildcoupon.asp?couponchoice=WC988239

pedantic
16-06-2006, 16:27
Argentina move into second spot with the bookies

http://www.willhill.com/iibs/en/buildcoupon.asp?couponchoice=WC988239

Personally, from what I've seen, they would be favourites in my book. The czech's look a very tasty price though. Value for money and all that. ;)

Legendary_PSR
16-06-2006, 16:39
great performance. they are looking far more comfortable than brazil at the moment.

the 2nd goal reminded me a lot of the goal that eventually got maradona kicked out of football back in the 94 world cup

i am so fed up hearing "(leo) messi this, crespo that, saviola is god, pablo aimar is the greatest player ever". tevez is better than the whole ****ing lot of them(no offense meant to leo messi or crespo, and plenty of offense to pablo aimar)

also, i am very impressed with ayala and heinze considering they haven't played all that much this season.

it was a laugh to watch the internazionale teammates kick the crap out of each other :)

speaking of internazionale, cambiasso has to be the most improved player of the last few years

but, i'll finish on a positive note - at least we've only had 3 dull matches(2 of which were england and the other being the god-awful french match). been a very good world cup to watch so far

JOGA BONITO! :)

ikthius
16-06-2006, 17:09

ik
I take your points about Argentina, and Ivory Coast and Spain.

But there is another thread here (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=47882) you may want to post in about England. Let's not have two threads with the same comments in. ;)

a small point I made in one post, which as far as I am aware, has to do with the world cup, I am only saying they were lucky.... I was not saying anything against them.............not in this thread. :D

just my point of view on how they have played so far in this world cup! :erm:

if you can't take that then you should not be reading this thread. ;)

I know there is that other thread, which I posted on.:D ;) :angel:

ik

---------- Post added at 17:09 ---------- Previous post was at 17:07 ----------

<snip>

but, i'll finish on a positive note - at least we've only had 3 dull matches(2 of which were england and the other being the god-awful french match). been a very good world cup to watch so far

JOGA BONITO! :)

saying anything about this pedantic?

ik

Legendary_PSR
16-06-2006, 17:17
ah yeah, but i slagged off the french. surely that's allowed :D

---------- Post added at 17:17 ---------- Previous post was at 17:16 ----------

i'm going the ivory coast on this one. even though on a different message board i am called johan van der smut, i have more of a nigel powers style attitude to the dutch team :)

pedantic
16-06-2006, 17:26
a small point I made in one post, which as far as I am aware, has to do with the world cup, I am only saying they were lucky.... I was not saying anything against them.............not in this thread. :D

Well, as you posted on the "other" thread a few minutes after this one, I suspect your comments had "ulterior" motives. And proves my point exactly. ;)

Oh, and if England bothers you that much, maybe YOU shouldn't be reading this thread, or watching the world cup for that matter. :D

ik

Well, that was posted AFTER I made my post, but here goes........

Those matches WERE dull, so there's no problem, it's hardly the same thing is it. ;)

ikthius
16-06-2006, 19:02

Well, as you posted on the "other" thread a few minutes after this one, I suspect your comments had "ulterior" motives. And proves my point exactly. ;)

Oh, and if England bothers you that much, maybe YOU shouldn't be reading this thread, or watching the world cup for that matter. :D

ik
Well, that was posted AFTER I made my post, but here goes........

Those matches WERE dull, so there's no problem, it's hardly the same thing is it. ;)
my comments on teh anyone but england thread was totally different to my comments here.

I take it you did not like what I said cause I am Scottish?! :rolleyes:

I said they were lucky to win....... I never said anything bad about them, they played rubbish, I have seen them play better.

this might be easier for you to understand.....

They won, but just (a case of political correctness gone mad, to keep pedantic happy :D)

see it looks similar

ik

Mal
16-06-2006, 20:42
This is annoying me...all the decent games seem to be on the afternoon...when I am at work :mad:

pedantic
17-06-2006, 00:29
my comments on teh anyone but england thread was totally different to my comments here.

I take it you did not like what I said cause I am Scottish?! :rolleyes:

Oh please ! Not the "because I'm scottish" card :rolleyes:

I said they were lucky to win....... I never said anything bad about them, they played rubbish, I have seen them play better.

Your comments are exactly what I would expect, you said it for the same reason you post on the other thread, for a reaction. The preceding posts were about how well Argentina played, England was never even mentioned. You obviously felt the need to do so though.

this might be easier for you to understand.....

I understand perfectly well, thanks for asking though. :D

They won, but just (a case of political correctness gone mad, to keep pedantic happy :D)

see it looks similar

Yes, we just about won. No political correctness required though, but thanks again for the offer. ;)

pedantic
17-06-2006, 11:47
Well done to Angola :tu:

The smaller nations seem to be doing well at this world cup, not winning, but doing well in regards to losing by a small margin, or drawing games.

TheDaddy
17-06-2006, 12:13
Well done to Angola :tu:

The smaller nations seem to be doing well at this world cup, not winning, but doing well in regards to losing by a small margin, or drawing games.

Angola have done well in youth football for years, so there is obviously talent there, they just needed to take the final step and qualify for the finals, now they have done that anything else is a bonus.

pedantic
17-06-2006, 12:16
Angola have done well in youth football for years, so there is obviously talent there, they just needed to take the final step and qualify for the finals, now they have done that anything else is a bonus.

The commentator said they were made up of part-timers, and unemployed players, which makes the result even better.

TheDaddy
17-06-2006, 12:36
The commentator said they were made up of part-timers, and unemployed players, which makes the result even better.

I suspect this is due to the state of the country rather than a lack of talent, hopefully any success will give the entire nation a lift.

pedantic
17-06-2006, 12:55
I suspect this is due to the state of the country rather than a lack of talent, hopefully any success will give the entire nation a lift.

Agreed !

And being in the shop window, so to speak, will attract clubs' attention.

ikthius
17-06-2006, 12:56
Your comments are exactly what I would expect, you said it for the same reason you post on the other thread, for a reaction. The preceding posts were about how well Argentina played, England was never even mentioned. You obviously felt the need to do so though.

ok, look when the last time I posted on this thread before I posted the one which annoyed you, and only you.

can you see it was about brasil, I never said anything, I was looking for what is supposed to be a world class team, play better than they did against Paraguay, so I never mentioned england at all at that point.

so they played bad, I am entitled to my opinion.

if you thought my post was off topic, and trying to get a reaction, why did you not report it?

probably becuase you know I never said anything bad or tried to insinuate anything..........

ik

pedantic
17-06-2006, 13:06
ok, look when the last time I posted on this thread before I posted the one which annoyed you, and only you.

can you see it was about brasil, I never said anything, I was looking for what is supposed to be a world class team, play better than they did against Paraguay, so I never mentioned england at all at that point.

if you thought my post was off topic, and trying to get a reaction, why did you not report it?

probably becuase you know I never said anything bad or tried to insinuate anything..........

ik

Yes ! you are entitled to your opinion, that's why we're all here.

You may be able to pull the wool over some people's eyes with your post, but to me, you are incredibly transparent in your intentions.

And as a side note, I don't make it my business of reporting posts.

danielf
17-06-2006, 13:16
Right, can we get back to the actual topic of this thread as opposed to having a lengthy 'discussion' regarding what is on and off-topic?

Thanks.

pedantic
17-06-2006, 13:23
Right, can we get back to the actual topic of this thread as opposed to having a length 'discussion' regarding what is on and off-topic?

Thanks.

Which is exactly what I have been doing in this thread, but some people feel the need to link it to another thread. ;)

danielf
17-06-2006, 13:25
Which is exactly what I have been doing in this thread, but some people feel the need to link it to another thread. ;)

Just drop it (or take it to PM if you wish to continue). It's getting boring...

pedantic
17-06-2006, 13:29
Just drop it (or take it to PM if you wish to continue). It's getting boring...

Ignore it then. ;)

ikthius
17-06-2006, 13:49

ik
Yes ! you are entitled to your opinion, that's why we're all here.

You may be able to pull the wool over some people's eyes with your post, but to me, you are incredibly transparent in your intentions.

And as a side note, I don't make it my business of reporting posts.

pulling the wool over peoples eyes!?

I am sorry you are so shallow but that was not what I done.

IT WAS AN OPINION.

ik

Legendary_PSR
17-06-2006, 14:37
i think what he is trying to get at is that it is solely an anti-england post, which we have a separate topic for

my post wasn't doing that, it was having a go at the quality of certain matches. england were only part of that

The commentator said they were made up of part-timers, and unemployed players,

i believe their goalkeeper doesn't have a club and trained by himself all season. and i believe he was MoTM wasn't he?

And being in the shop window, so to speak, will attract clubs' attention.

i expect most of them to turn up at lyon as houllier continues to tear lyon's team to shreds :)

yesman
17-06-2006, 14:48
HT: Portugal 0 Iran 0 :shocked:

TheDaddy
17-06-2006, 14:50
HT: Portugal 0 Iran 0 :shocked:

Portugal are all over them, it's only a matter of time before they score.

budwieser
17-06-2006, 15:14
Think you`re right Dad.

Legendary_PSR
17-06-2006, 16:58
in theory, both of the next two games should be great

pedantic
17-06-2006, 17:54
pulling the wool over peoples eyes!?

I am sorry you are so shallow but that was not what I done.

IT WAS AN OPINION.

ik

lmao ! I think someone has the hump. :D Oops ! Off Topic. Don't wanna bore anyone. ;)

Good half for Ghana anyway, wonder how long they can hold out for.

They didn't need to hang on after all lol, they battered the czech's in the end. :shocked:

danielf
17-06-2006, 22:40
Well, plenty to talk about. I'm surprised no one has posted here since 6.

Ghana upset the Czech Republic and Italy - USA ends one all, with Italy down to ten man (due to an elbow which should result in a ban for the rest of the tournament), end USA being a bit unlucky for having two men sent off. The final scoreline looked about right. This match did not deserve a winner.

All teams in this group can still go through. The final games should be interesting...

What really puzzled me though is the following: After the second goal for Ghana one of the Ghana players (not the goal scorer) produced an Israeli flag. Does anyone know what that was about? :confused:

Gareth
18-06-2006, 21:53
Well who would have thunked it?!? France 1 - S Korea 1 :Yikes:

pedantic
19-06-2006, 01:27
The French well and truly blew it, why they didn't play like they did after South Korea equalised, a bit sooner is a mystery. Having said that, a number of teams do for some unknown reason.

I'm still not convinced about Brazil, great players, but they still don't impress me as much as Argentina, or Spain (even though they've only played once).

And talking of those games, I really do think that it's a shame to see players like Zidane and Ronaldo looking like they are finished. Great talents, in years gone by, but sadly looking like they just can't cut it anymore.

Saaf_laandon_mo
19-06-2006, 09:05
I reckon Brazil would be more threatening if they dropped Roundaldo and started with Robino from the outset. He created much more and Brazil looked a different team in both games when he's come on.
I was going for Portugal before the tournament, but on seeing the Argies crush Serbia (who only let in 1 in their previous 10 games I think), I'd say they're the team to beat.

TheDaddy
19-06-2006, 13:48
I reckon Brazil would be more threatening if they dropped Roundaldo and started with Robino from the outset. He created much more and Brazil looked a different team in both games when he's come on.
I was going for Portugal before the tournament, but on seeing the Argies crush Serbia (who only let in 1 in their previous 10 games I think), I'd say they're the team to beat.

I have said Argentina all along, I am gutted actually as a mate got really good odds on them, Brazil wont win it if they persist with their current line up, players like Emerson, Cafu and Roberto Carlos are obviously past it and Ronaldo, he is not even 30 and could not be bothered to get himself in decent shape for the start of the competition.