PDA

View Full Version : Dead Connection with IP starting 169

klw
01-12-2003, 14:56
Seeing as NTLWorld technical support is practically useless until Wednesday, thanks to upgrades, perhaps someone can help me resolve this problem.

My old PC died last week and since building a new system but using my old HDD with Win XP Pro installed my connection is dead.

I'm using an ntlhome cable modem. The new motherboard has onboard LAN so I'd rather connect via this as opposed to USB, which I was using previously. However all attempts to use both the LAN and USB have failed. ipconfig shows that I have an IP address beginning with 169.

I've been through the troubleshooting section at Robin's site and get stuck while trying to request a new DHCP lease via ipconfig/renew. I get an error message as follows:

"An error occured while renewing adapter Local area connection: an operation was attempted in something that was not a socket."

Can anyone help?

TIA

Karen

th'engineer
01-12-2003, 14:58
have you switched of the modem for a while then tried it again and cat 5 striaght through as opposed to x over cable

th'engineer
01-12-2003, 15:01
have you switched of the modem for a while then tried it again and cat 5 striaght through as opposed to x over cable
also this link (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jayone/how_to_checkIP.htm) should help

klw
01-12-2003, 15:24
The Ethernet cable is one that came with the cable modem so I know it works. I've tried powering off the modem overnight and unplugging the actual cable to no avail.

I don't believe the problem is ethernet related as I can't get a USB connection either.

th'engineer
01-12-2003, 15:26
The Ethernet cable is one that came with the cable modem so I know it works. I've tried powering off the modem overnight and unplugging the actual cable to no avail.

I don't believe the problem is ethernet related as I can't get a USB connection either.
do you have the driver installed http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jayone/drivers_downloads.htm

klw
01-12-2003, 15:40
I'm using the same HDD as I used with my previous system which had a working USB connection using the same cable modem so I don't think that could be the problem.

trebor
01-12-2003, 15:41
I don't if this will help but, as I recall windows xp ip addresses starting with 169 are issued by windows as a local address because it cant find an external network.
and if you have changed how the modem is connected to the pc I think you will have to reprovision the connection to register the new mac address with ntl's system.

th'engineer
01-12-2003, 15:43
I'm using the same HDD as I used with my previous system which had a working USB connection using the same cable modem so I don't think that could be the problem.
have you installed the drivers for the onboard lan, and is it communicating with the modem modem lan light flashing

Nemesis
01-12-2003, 15:45
have you installed the drivers for the onboard lan, and is it communicating with the modem modem lan light flashing
Could it be related to this issue ??
Windows XP: TCP/IP Functionality and Internet Connectivity Are Disrupted When You Uninstall McAfee Personal Firewall (Q316522)

After you uninstall McAfee Personal Firewall, one or more of the following issues may occur:

You are unable to view Web pages. You are unable to ping URL addresses. When you issue the ipconfig /renew command, you receive the following error message:
An error occurred while renewing interface local area connection: an operation was attempted on something that is not a socket.This behavior occurs if you remove Personal Firewall from your computer through the Add/Remove Programs tool in the Control Panel.
Click here (http://www.tipsdr.com/axs/ax.pl?http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q316522) for the article.

Neil
01-12-2003, 15:47
Have you tried opening a (any web page)?

Nemesis
01-12-2003, 15:48
Have you tried opening a (any web page)?
This is a good one ....worth checking ..

Problem: Renewing a DHCP lease fails, with error message †œAn error occurred while renewing interface <name>: The system cannot find the file specified.ââ ¬Â

Problem: Network connection configured to obtain an IP address automatically has IP address 0.0.0.0

Solution: Make sure that the DHCP Client service is running:

Right click My Computer, and click Manage. Double click Services and Applications. Double click Services. Double click DHCP Client. If the Service status is Stopped, click Start. Set the Startup type to Automatic.

Stuartbe
01-12-2003, 15:52
If you have changed a major part of the pc I.E. the motherboard you need to re-install windows. If you dont do this then windows can act very strangely. I would also strongly recomend that you remove all of the ntl software fromthe system as you dont need it to connect to ntl via ethernet.

HTH

Neil
01-12-2003, 16:04
http://www.jsifaq.com/SUBK/tip5200/rh5241.htm

That should sort you out. :)

Steve H
01-12-2003, 16:08
As trebor said, a 169 address is issued as default by windows when it can't find a outgoing connection.. so you wont be able to reprovision your connection.

You haven't deleted anything from your computer just latlely? (Eg NewDotNet)?

klw
01-12-2003, 17:24
The McAfee Firewall suggestion is a possibility as I do use it. I shall try re-installing it.

Thanks for all the suggestions, which I shall try when I get home. If all else fails I shall re-install XP. I had planned to re-install when I had more time but my dead connection may force me to do this sooner.

Tiptoes
01-12-2003, 18:14
I would reiterate what Th'enginner says,

Also have you Made sure that youe USB and OBOARD LAN in the BIOS are set to ENABLE?

I would also add that as someone said above NTL Assign a MAC address unless you use the same network card you proably wont get a connection. (Unless your coming through a router)

try disabling the onboard lan and installing the other Netowrk card and then Set it up...

It should work a treat....

Sociable
01-12-2003, 19:01
OK try this:

First go into Device manager in System Properties and remove the lan card from the list that should clear down all the settings associated with the card. (Do not refind the lan card or boot at this stage.)

Then power down the modem disconnect all cables including the Main cable to NTL and RJ45 to the PC

Power up the modem after a few mins and it will reset to default settings.

Now power down modem again and reconnect all cables including the link to the PC let the modem stabalise then reboot the PC.

When the PC reboots it will find the Lan card and reload the driver then it should see the "live" connection and should set the DHCP to the correct address rather than the 169 one.

If necessary then run the network/connection wizard to tell IE which connection to use as default.

A bit convoluted but I find going through above routine clears everthing back to default settinmgs which should then work fine.

Dooby
01-12-2003, 22:08
can i just ask one question...are you saying you moved the hard drive from one system to a new system without reinstalling the operating system?

if the motherboards etc are different the OS may need reinstalling.

homealone
01-12-2003, 22:23
can i just ask one question...are you saying you moved the hard drive from one system to a new system without reinstalling the operating system?

if the motherboards etc are different the OS may need reinstalling.

good point!

- didn't think of that:dozey:, it could be a factor, especially if the motherboard chipsets are different, iirc it can be fixed without re-installing the OS, but it is a right pain:(

Sociable
01-12-2003, 22:41
good point!

- didn't think of that:dozey:, it could be a factor, especially if the motherboard chipsets are different, iirc it can be fixed without re-installing the OS, but it is a right pain:(

Actually Did just that an XP took it all in its stride re-setting all the devices and drivers without a blip LOL

My bet is that the modem just hasn't tied itself to the new Mac address of the lan card and my suggestion above should sort that same time as fixing the 169 error.

klw
02-12-2003, 09:55
can i just ask one question...are you saying you moved the hard drive from one system to a new system without reinstalling the operating system? If the motherboards etc are different the OS may need reinstalling.Yes I did, different motherboard, P3 processor to Athlon XP etc. I wasn't sure it would work but it did. XP removes any hardware devices that are no longer relevant and installs the new ones.

As for my connection problem I fixed it by uninstalling and reinstalling McAfee Personal Firewall twice. The first time my connection (USB) started working but the firewall was disabled and I couldn't enable it without getting an error. After the next uninstall/reinstall it worked okay. So thanks to nemesis for the advice.

This morning I tried switching from USB to Ethernet but that didn't work so I switched back to USB. The LAN icon tells me that a cable is unplugged, but it isn't so I'm not sure what the problem is there. I have installed the drivers for the onboard LAN and no longer have a network card so will try and persevere with the onboard LAN and follow the suggestions above when I have time. For now at least I have a working connection, albeit USB.

Nemesis
02-12-2003, 10:24
Yes I did, different motherboard, P3 processor to Athlon XP etc. I wasn't sure it would work but it did. XP removes any hardware devices that are no longer relevant and installs the new ones.

As for my connection problem I fixed it by uninstalling and reinstalling McAfee Personal Firewall twice. The first time my connection (USB) started working but the firewall was disabled and I couldn't enable it without getting an error. After the next uninstall/reinstall it worked okay. So thanks to nemesis for the advice.

This morning I tried switching from USB to Ethernet but that didn't work so I switched back to USB. The LAN icon tells me that a cable is unplugged, but it isn't so I'm not sure what the problem is there. I have installed the drivers for the onboard LAN and no longer have a network card so will try and persevere with the onboard LAN and follow the suggestions above when I have time. For now at least I have a working connection, albeit USB.
NP regarding the Mcafee thingy (give us a rep) .... the cable prob could be realted to the X-over cable post from earlier.

Would be worthwhile getting a 'straight' cable and an 'x-over' cable and trying both.

Terry
02-12-2003, 16:24
Before trying anything, make sure the DHCP service is actually running in XP. I had a similar problem recently and having tried all the useful help given by the technical folk on dot com I discovered that the DHCP client was stopped and nothing could restart it. I know you probably dont want to hear this but it took a complete rebuild to solve the problem. Good luck

klw
02-12-2003, 17:24
Thanks but the DHCP service is running. I checked it last night.

Paul
02-12-2003, 20:23
The DHCP client would have to be running to get the 169.254.x.x address, it is the client that assigns this if it can't get a reply to it's request for a real one.

imback
02-12-2003, 20:29
Since it's XP, reinstall the nic driver anway as it will be no hassle.

Also with regards to usb, doesn't matter if it's the same HD, it happens when it's exactly the same machine, sometimes usb drivers just need to be reinstalled.