PDA

View Full Version : Picture Messaging : a gimmick ?

bob_a_builder
30-11-2003, 23:11
Being pestered by no 1 son, he wants to get a new phone Siemens MC60 ( i think) mainly for camera/picture capability , has a perfectly good voice and text Nokia at the mo. He's not a big user of the phone anyway, I think its just peer pressure driving this

Being a bit of a BOF myself, can't really see the point of P.M. convinced its just a gimmick.

Is the only way to get a picture out of the phone to 'Send' it somewhere ( what are the options), what res are the pictures, pretty low res I assume given small size of phone screens.

Your comments on P.M. good / bad / waste of time / etc

Thanks

Stuart
30-11-2003, 23:35
The pictures send via MMS are quite low res, but must phones can take higher res photos and transfer them via a data cable, infra red connection or bluetooth. Obviously for the last two, you need the relevant interfaces on the PC, but you should be able to buy a data cable relatively cheaply (if it doesn't come with one).

Maggy
01-12-2003, 00:13
If I give my son a mobile he's getting the old motorola that's 5 years old as he's a pillock when it comes to losing things.He's lost 3 watches so far and we won't go into the coats,pe kit,uniform tops(bringing home old ones in exchange for new ones :afire: )and his locker key.

So you resist the pressure your kids give you.it's your right(nay your duty) as a parent to make them suffer from being out of fashion.it's character building for a lad to have a very out of date mobile/tv/bike/coat/shoes/whatever.;)

Incog:D

Paul K
01-12-2003, 00:36
If I give my son a mobile he's getting the old motorola that's 5 years old as he's a pillock when it comes to losing things.He's lost 3 watches so far and we won't go into the coats,pe kit,uniform tops(bringing home old ones in exchange for new ones :afire: )and his locker key.

So you resist the pressure your kids give you.it's your right(nay your duty) as a parent to make them suffer from being out of fashion.it's character building for a lad to have a very out of date mobile/tv/bike/coat/shoes/whatever.;)
Incog:D
Coggy you are so right :LOL: :kiss:

Paul
01-12-2003, 00:40
It's a fad at the moment that may or may not catch on (anyone remember wap ?) ....

bopdude
01-12-2003, 08:01
Morning bob_a_builder and all :)

I have to give a big :tu: to my picture phone ( sony ericsson T610 ) it has two picture resolutions, 352 x 288 and 160 x 120 pixels this might not sound great but when the pics are transfered to a pc they are IMHO very good ( as a second function ) that is.
As well as the cam the phone has some good little games \ screensavers \ etc etc for d\ling :) here (http://forum.myt610.net/)

Just my opinion :) if you do decide to get a cam phone then definitely go with a bluetooth dongle ( about £12.00 on ebay ) as this will also communicate with other devices where as the data cable will only work with the phone.

IMHO that is, hope this helps :)

Defiant
01-12-2003, 10:12
WARNING don't be fooled into getting a phone that says Picture Messeging. I found out the hardway when I got the girlfriend one. Its not the same thing as Photo Messeging

Picture Messeging is just pixel's that make up daft ugley shapes. Photo Messeging well of course thats real camera images. There sly b@stards

Needless to say I took the bloody phone back to get my money back. It was the Samsung C100. Now this I dont understand though. Why would they release a phone with a colour display of 65000 colours when it can't even recieved photo messeging ?

bopdude
01-12-2003, 10:18
WARNING don't be fooled into getting a phone that says Picture Messeging. I found out the hardway when I got the girlfriend one. Its not the same thing as Photo Messeging

Picture Messeging is just pixel's that make up daft ugley shapes. Photo Messeging well of course thats real camera images. There sly b@stards

Good point there Defiant :tu:

Needless to say I took the bloody phone back to get my money back. It was the Samsung C100. Now this I dont understand though. Why would they release a phone with a colour display of 65000 colours when it can't even recieved photo messeging ?

:shrug: who knows, seems a waste of a screen as you say