PDA

View Full Version : help

cutestkaz
16-05-2006, 19:21
I was digging and went through a cable that was buried an inch deep,not only were the call centre rude but they say i have to pay for installation and i have to go without broadband and televsion till the 1st june...this happened on 13th may.

im new to this so would love help on should the cable be buried deeper and why should i have too wait this long to get my service back...they are expecting me too pay for no service?
cheers kaz:erm: :mad:

Paul K
16-05-2006, 20:07
Erm call them back and point out that the installation is not good enough as the cable was not buried correctly. The cable should be deep enough to make sure this doesn't happen. Do yourself a favour and take a snap of the cable showing how shallow the install was and then tell NTL CS that you will be more than happy to raise a formal complaint if the installation isn't done properly and your cable repaired.

cutestkaz
16-05-2006, 20:25
cheers.i went further and took it to the big phone body who advised a nice letter etc,but they cant help for 12 weeks.Ive done a nice letter but still feel mightly hacked off how rude they were and how long i have too wait,im sure its cos im a woman!:( Ntl tried to say that i should be careful when planting flowers:Yikes: hmmm yeah whatever!shall i use a straw next time

Paul K
16-05-2006, 20:31
OFCOM won't get involved until you follow the complaints procedure for NTL I'm afraid. Call CS, ask for a supervisor and then explain to them that your install was done badly and that the cable was left within an inch of the surface when buried.
Point out to them that the cable is supposed to be a minimum distance below ground and inside a protective sleeve which it most certainly was not. Make sure you mention that you are willing to take matters further with OFCOM if the installation is not put right and your connection repaired. Also mention that you are willing to provide photographic evidence that shows how shallow the install was.

PS1
16-05-2006, 22:06
cheers.i went further and took it to the big phone body who advised a nice letter etc,but they cant help for 12 weeks.Ive done a nice letter but still feel mightly hacked off how rude they were and how long i have too wait,im sure its cos im a woman!:( Ntl tried to say that i should be careful when planting flowers:Yikes: hmmm yeah whatever!shall i use a straw next time

Make sure you dont burn the cable with your iron also!

(just kidding)

having to wait all that time is totlly unacceptable,especially considering the cable could be fixed and your services up and running again in about 5 minutes.
If you lived in my area in come and fix it for you!:D :D :D

cutestkaz
17-05-2006, 07:54
aww a knight in shining armour to come and sort the cable out;)

ahhh a gal can but dream!:)

It is disgusting how long they are making me wait so im trying to find in writing all the info so i can shove it in their faces and say "up yours blah is this blah is that get ya ass here and sort it".they wont beat me though il keep on at them.

Dam call centre though they just will not put me through to a supervisor,the guy keeps banging on about how its all "standard procedure" grrr

orangebird
17-05-2006, 08:02
I was digging and went through a cable that was buried an inch deep,not only were the call centre rude but they say i have to pay for installation and i have to go without broadband and televsion till the 1st june...this happened on 13th may.

im new to this so would love help on should the cable be buried deeper and why should i have too wait this long to get my service back...they are expecting me too pay for no service?
cheers kaz:erm: :mad:

You dug through the cable... ?? What with??

Either way, YOU broke the cable. I suggest a little more honey than vinegar when you next call CS to hound them about it.

Stuartbe
17-05-2006, 08:34

Either way, YOU broke the cable. I suggest a little more honey than vinegar when you next call CS to hound them about it.

That is very true, but as someone who has performed outside electrical instalations I would point out that had I not buried a cable correctly and to the current regulations I would be in big trouble.

Not 100% sure on this but the twisted pair cable that runs with the coax would be 50v and thats known as TNV and is subject to some very strict regs.

Chris
17-05-2006, 09:58

I think you're being a little unfair. The installation was clearly substandard, if it is indeed only an inch below the surface. NTL *knows* that garden spades pose a risk to the cable, that's why they are *supposed* to be (IIRC) a couple of feet down. Unless it's suddenly considered unreasonable behaviour to use a spade in any garden whose house has CATV installed?

If I were attacking a patch of hard ground in my garden, I could quite easily hit it with a spade hard enough to damage a cable that close to the surface.

Scarlett
17-05-2006, 10:30
I do know that when I re laid the garden at my old house, I re-buried the cable that was accross the middle of the garden about 2 inches down. okay it was in plastic pipe but had obviously been there some time as it was broken in a number of places.

It's under a foot or so of soil right now so it should be safe.

Sunglasses Ron
17-05-2006, 11:15
When NTL install CATV to a home surely the cable should be buried to at least 2 spade depths, Its only common sense. :)

PS1
17-05-2006, 21:54
No matter how deep you burried it,there would always be someone that managed to cut through it.If the required depth was 1 spade then someone would dig 2.If it was 2 then someone would dig 3!There cannot be a specific measurement as to the depth a cable should be burried.Different surfaces require different measures,it should be down to the judgement of the individual doing the job.:tu:

Chris
17-05-2006, 22:02
No matter how deep you burried it,there would always be someone that managed to cut through it.If the required depth was 1 spade then someone would dig 2.If it was 2 then someone would dig 3!There cannot be a specific measurement as to the depth a cable should be burried.Different surfaces require different measures,it should be down to the judgement of the individual doing the job.:tu:

I appreciate it can never be foolproof, but what kind of judgement could possibly lead someone to think one inch deep was acceptable?

Nedkelly
17-05-2006, 22:07
:) The time they have given you is stupid.What would should happen is they send a service tech to your house to put a temp connection in then the tech will get a repull arranged with you:tu: .As for charging i never charge mainly because it is never buried deep enough in the garden.This is always going to be a problem for cable companys :disturbd: .Ring up and ask if a fault tech can come out :tu:

DJ Dave
17-05-2006, 22:24
On the subject of this my Cable is not even under ground, they linked it up to nextdoor when they first did it and said there was a fault, in the end I came and asked them to sort it and they did, but the cable in the green pipe sits along the soil under my hedge. Is it worth ring NTL to have this sorted?

Nedkelly
17-05-2006, 22:27
:) Yes it is if next door disconect they would disc your services as well.call in but also use the responce tek tool as well:tu:

homealone
17-05-2006, 22:30
I appreciate it can never be foolproof, but what kind of judgement could possibly lead someone to think one inch deep was acceptable?

contracted out installations, paid by jobs done, not how good they are.

James Henry has it right when he says NTL are targeting a 'pile it high, sell it cheap', market sector, but are neglecting the fundamentals, like the infrastructure.

- unfortunately, they are not alone in this 'venture capital driven' world we live in (my quote marks).

Chris
17-05-2006, 23:00

James Henry has it right when he says NTL are targeting a 'pile it high, sell it cheap', market sector, but are neglecting the fundamentals, like the infrastructure.

- unfortunately, they are not alone in this 'venture capital driven' world we live in (my quote marks).

Yes, you always have to worry when the bean counters are put in charge of the boardroom. :(

homealone
17-05-2006, 23:24

Yes, you always have to worry when the bean counters are put in charge of the boardroom. :(

boardroom uk, especially, pfi, pfft :erm:

mmm
17-05-2006, 23:42
On the subject of this my Cable is not even under ground, they linked it up to nextdoor when they first did it and said there was a fault, in the end I came and asked them to sort it and they did, but the cable in the green pipe sits along the soil under my hedge. Is it worth ring NTL to have this sorted?

No, clearly not bad enough to force you to phone. At least if you can see the cable you shouldn't stick a fork through it. It is pretty common to see exposed cable and/ or then green corrugated cover on the surface round here!

I know my cable is just under the turf in my front garden and it has been dug up as it goes through the flower bed (and it is now deeper!), luckily not damaged. Personaly I'd have made a quick repair (couple of F connectors from B&Q) reburied and not told NTL I'd done it!

homealone
17-05-2006, 23:43

agree totally, in my opinion engineers should be in charge of engineering companies, food technologists should be in charge of food companies, but - and it is a big but, increasingly the Marketing department has assumed the role of being in charge, of everything, without being accountable for anything but ideas which someone else couldn't fulfil ;)

cutestkaz
18-05-2006, 07:35
Hmm i would ask for fault technician but the call centre will not put me through to a superviser etc,they say that waiting till the first of june is right!as it takes two guys to re wire.The only way im gona get anywhere is by the complaints department in Manchester.......if only i could turn up there lol

As for the charge if they carry on insisting il be losing nthell as i just dont have £25 ,being on the money i live on:td:

PS1
18-05-2006, 15:18
[quote=Chris T]I appreciate it can never be foolproof, but what kind of judgement could possibly lead someone to think one inch deep was acceptable?[/quote

BAD judgment indeed.Which leads back to the type of people that are actually being employed by ntl!:dunce:

cutestkaz
19-05-2006, 10:47
:p: :p: haha got it in writing how deep the able should be buried!hahaha now for the apology.....

Dear Ms West, Thank you for contacting us with your query. I have just spoken to the installation manager for your area and he has advised the cable should be 8 inches deep.

Chris
19-05-2006, 10:49
:p: :p: haha got it in writing how deep the able should be buried!hahaha now for the apology.....

Dear Ms West, Thank you for contacting us with your query. I have just spoken to the installation manager for your area and he has advised the cable should be 8 inches deep.

:clap:

Superb piece of detective work, Kaz. Are you going to call CS with this information or simply wave it at the cable installers when they come round?

handyman
19-05-2006, 11:37
I would call up and ask to speak to retentions stating your displeasure. They will get it sorted out as in most places retentions develop the required contacts to be able to pull rank on jobs. If I thought it warranted I could have got a tech within 2 days for almost any job when I was there.

James Henry
19-05-2006, 11:54

Unfortunately as she now has in writing that the cable was unacceptably installed I'd say she has every right to hound them about it. Want any side dishes with that humble pie? ;)

cutestkaz
19-05-2006, 12:27
:) Lol il have a curry and,side dishes and pudding ...i knew i would get it outta them somehow.I tried cs again and they still wont put me through so i think its a case of waiting for the complaints department to get back to me...by then i will have a very strong case!.......hahah kaz 1 nthell 0 .

drinks are on me!!

---------- Post added at 12:27 ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 ----------

pmsl......dectective kaz goes further..... asked them another question and whoooo mines not got green conduit!

.Hello Ms West, after speaking with the installation manager just now, he said it should be in green conduit, not armoured. I hope this anwsers your question.