PDA

View Full Version : NTL Modem Problem

Tricky
30-11-2003, 14:49
Hi,

I have an NTL Modem 100 model (whatever that is!) and every now and then all then lights go out. I have power filter on the mains plug and it does it with it on or off. Only way to get back online is too unlplug the power from the back and put it back in again.

Is this my modem and/or power
Or are NTL doing something that drops my line and the modem doesn't handle it coming back up.

Length of time doesn't seem to be the problem either (it's just done it after being on a couple of hours) and other times (minutes or even days!)

Any ideas before I spend hours with CS on Monday?

th'engineer
30-11-2003, 14:52
Hi,

I have an NTL Modem 100 model (whatever that is!) and every now and then all then lights go out. I have power filter on the mains plug and it does it with it on or off. Only way to get back online is too unlplug the power from the back and put it back in again.

Is this my modem and/or power
Or are NTL doing something that drops my line and the modem doesn't handle it coming back up.

Length of time doesn't seem to be the problem either (it's just done it after being on a couple of hours) and other times (minutes or even days!)

Any ideas before I spend hours with CS on Monday?
Monitor you power supply output could be that have heard of that before have you an alternative power supply of the same voltage to check it out.

Mark W
30-11-2003, 15:04
I'm going with th'engineer on this one - it wont be something ntl might be doing to make ALL your lights go out, so it has to be a power issue :)

th'engineer
30-11-2003, 15:11
I'm going with th'engineer on this one - it wont be something ntl might be doing to make ALL your lights go out, so it has to be a power issue :)Check out some of the mains adapters you may have for powering speakers or routers might be same voltage also see if the PSU gets hot. If so try putting a fan near it to see if it stays on longer.

You can request new ones from NTL at no charge

Sorry noticed a pun in this post If so try putting a fan near it it could be one of the few fans on NTL

Tricky
30-11-2003, 15:45
Cheers all, digging in my box of odd power supplies old modems/routers/etc now. I don't think it's a heat problem as there is no pattern to the length of time before it fails. But I'll try anything before phoning CS!!!

Thanks again

Florence
30-11-2003, 15:47
Cheers all, digging in my box of odd power supplies old modems/routers/etc now. I don't think it's a heat problem as there is no pattern to the length of time before it fails. But I'll try anything before phoning CS!!!

Thanks again

Come on Tricky you know you want to call them up for help.. then you can feed back here on the service you recieved. :) :rofl: