PDA

View Full Version : Are we really this bad now?

Paul K
30-11-2003, 01:27
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3249574.stm
Woman crushed in rush at DVD sale

A US store chain has apologised to a woman knocked unconscious as shoppers rushed for a sale of DVD players.
Patricia VanLester was knocked to the ground in the frenzied dash for a $29 DVD player at a Wal-Mart SuperCenter in Orange City, Florida.
The 41-year-old had been first in the queue when the post-Thanksgiving sale opened at 6am local time on Friday.
"She got pushed down, and they walked over her like a herd of elephants," said her sister, Linda Ellzey.
Paramedics called to the store found VanLester unconscious on top of a DVD player, surrounded by shoppers seemingly oblivious to her, Mark O'Keefe, a spokesman for EVAC Ambulance, told Associated Press.
Doctors at the hospital which admitted Ms VanLester said she had suffered a seizure after being knocked down and would probably remain in care for the rest of the weekend.
'Stop stepping on her!'
Ms Ellzey said some shoppers had tried to help her sister, and one employee helped rescue the woman, but most people just continued their rush for deals.
"All they cared about was a stupid DVD player," she said.
"I told them, 'Stop stepping on my sister! She's on the ground!'"
Ms Ellzey said Wal-Mart officials called later to ask after her sister, and the store apologised and offered to put a DVD player on hold for her.
Wal-Mart Stores spokeswoman Karen Burk said she had never heard of a such a melee during a sale.
"We are very disappointed this happened," she said. "We want her to come back as a shopper."
The day after Thanksgiving - the last Thursday of November - is traditionally the beginning of the Christmas season in the US.

So, would you have stopped to help her or would you have ignored her if something similar happened over here?

Graham
30-11-2003, 01:29
If I'd been the shop manager, I would have given numbered tickets to the first "n" people in the queue and guaranteed them players, then let the rest in a few at a time.

Just letting people rush in was stupid.

kronas
30-11-2003, 01:29
i just read this story about 20 mins ago yes people dont care about others as long as they get there bargain thats all that matters :rolleyes:

Paul K
30-11-2003, 17:06
Two replies and neither with an answer to the question asked ;) Well, I suppose it was a bit late last night to post a question like that.
Both responses hold valid points though, it was a stupid thing to do to just open the doors and let them stampede in and yes, some people would do anything for a "bargain".
The question stands though, would you have stopped to help even if it meant losing out on something you really wanted or would you have stepped over her and carried on?

dilli-theclaw
30-11-2003, 18:11
yes - i would have stopped and helped.

Stu038
30-11-2003, 18:17
I think that its just another indication of how selfish society has become in the last few years, and yes I would have stopped to help her, It dosn't matter how good a bargain you think you might be in for its about having respect for the people around you, something far too few people have these days. :grind:

Defiant
30-11-2003, 18:17
Seen that yesterday. I thought this was the best bit,

and the store apologised and offered to put a DVD player on hold for her

Chris
30-11-2003, 18:30
Seen that yesterday. I thought this was the best bit,

Yes, you'd have thought for $29 they'd just give hera DVD player. That's what I'd be after, as compensation for their negligent lack of crowd control.

Paul - to answer your question, yes, sadly I do think we are that bad, especially when in a herd. :(

Someone remind me of the quote - a person is intelligent, people are [insert negative sentiments here, someone]

Bex
30-11-2003, 18:41
personally, i would have stopped to help her, and would have tried to get people to stop wlaking over her.....terrible that people are like this :(

Paul K
30-11-2003, 19:16
What saddens me is that no-one tried to put themselves between the woman and the crowd to help protect her from further injury. It doesn't take much to help someone now and then but obviously it's too much effort for some people these days:(